Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
5 Quick Viveport titles reviews

REGENESIS Arcade DELUXE - 360 Wave based shooter with a few weapons and some upgrades. Tough, seems paced unevenly 3/5
A-10 VR (Simple two gun shooting game, not much there but executed well) 3/5
ZOMDAY - Viveport version only has Japanese text so hard to follow, but a decent wave based zombie shooter, tough boss fights, can cheese the locomotion by using both trackpad and teleport locomotion at the same time. Japanese Text version 3/5
Everest VR - Very interesting for an hour or 2, if you've got free spots in Viveport Subscription worth a shot, but not much there. For my what was most interesting was showing the paths and the scale and the educational materials. The actual game play (about 40 minutes) was OK, but the visuals are amazing. 4/5 for 2 hours MAX
Front Defense. - Stand and shoot wave based shooter, not much there 2.5/5

Viveport subscription itself review if you get it for cheap 4/5 I got 1 year for $30 at full price 2/5. Downloads are fast, can launch from SteamVR if you let the Vive app run. Viveport apps run fine on Oculus (seems like they are all built on steamVR. It's a great way to try/research many apps for a cheap price. I like to play many VR apps for an hour or so and then move on. The selection is pretty limited but there are probably at least 15 titles worth tying.

Some issues include Viveport apps sometimes being very out of date compared to SteamVR versions, the leader-boards do not appeared shared with SteamVR leading to many cases where there are ~10 players on a leaderboard.

The way it works is the following, I purchased a year on 12/26 for $30. If I login today (2/28) I'll have no items in my subscription but then can add 5 games and use them until 3/28 at which point they'll still be installed but I won't have access until I pick 5 more titles. I haven't tried to see if I can pick less than 5 at a time, I've always pick 5 each time.

For this month I'm excited to try the final Knockout League. Note: Viveport subscription does not have Sairento instead it's a small demo and it was last updated 10/2017.

At full price of $7 a month (going up to $8 soon) it seems a bit pricey for more than a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Wanted to say zomday on steamvr has oculus sdk support and English text. It’s fun but it’s still only 3 levels.

Fun poo poo got my 5 bucks out of it.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So supposedly Nvidia is going to release new GPUs soon. One for gaming and one for AI / CUDA work called Turing. I'm interested in the AI / CUDA GPU because I need it for a commercial development project, and I was originally considering a Titan V. Can I stick that Turing one in my VR rig along side my existing 1080? My current rig has a 1080 and it's air cooled. Is air cooling going to cut it? What about the power supply? I have a Cosair 750W power supply. I am wondering if I will need to replace that, or if it'll cut it. I guess I will know more once these GPUs drop.

My rig is in a full size modular Coolermaster tower. Mobo is an Asus Z170-A

So once I get it running, will I be able to do stuff like dedicate one GPU to a non VR game for a virtual screen while the other handles the VR environment such as Big Screen? There's also SLI, but only two VR games support but if I disable it for stuff that don't support it will the SLI degrade performance in anyway such as cause micro stutters?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

iceaim posted:

So once I get it running, will I be able to do stuff like dedicate one GPU to a non VR game for a virtual screen while the other handles the VR environment such as Big Screen? There's also SLI, but only two VR games support but if I disable it for stuff that don't support it will the SLI degrade performance in anyway such as cause micro stutters?

Generally the answer to anything involving two GPUs is no, you can't. It's all perfectly possible in theory but in practice multiple GPUs is such a rare use case that it's not worth anyone's time to code the paths to handle it. SLI was Nvidia's attempt to make multiple GPUs work magically without requiring games to support it, but it still breaks on a lot of titles and if you're not SLIing two identical graphics cards it can often do more harm than good to the performance, even before you factor in the issues VR adds.

Also cynically AI/CUDA is code for cryptocurrency farming so those cards are probably going to be out of stock everywhere and hugely marked up because the world's gone mad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

iceaim posted:

So supposedly Nvidia is going to release new GPUs soon. One for gaming and one for AI / CUDA work called Turing. I'm interested in the AI / CUDA GPU because I need it for a commercial development project, and I was originally considering a Titan V. Can I stick that Turing one in my VR rig along side my existing 1080? My current rig has a 1080 and it's air cooled. Is air cooling going to cut it? What about the power supply? I have a Cosair 750W power supply. I am wondering if I will need to replace that, or if it'll cut it. I guess I will know more once these GPUs drop.

My rig is in a full size modular Coolermaster tower. Mobo is an Asus Z170-A

No one knows if any of what you're saying is true with which cards are coming out and when.

750w power supply will be plenty for a 1080 and any future chip Nvidia could make, yes.

If you have a gap between both cards, air cooling is fine. If the top one is a non-blower and directly against the lower one it can get airflow starved and run hotter making it throttle.

Most Cuda stuff let's you select which GPU to use when you have multiple present.

You can't SLI two cards of different GTX model numbers, you'd have to have two 1080 or two of the new card. It's easy more hassle than it's worth anyway and Nvidia is slowly killing support for it.

VR will tend to render the game on the card the headset is plugged into, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope you're getting your work to pay for the CUDA card, lol

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Firgof posted:

For its time, yeah, I'd say HL1 was a full length experience. Games have gotten a little longer on PC since then though. Super-long-play games were, as I remember back then, more the realm of consoles at the time HL1 came out. Most SP campaigns on PC were around 4-8 hours long to my memory with the very rare 20+ hour exception (e.g. Tie Fighter, X-Wing, etc) - and most of those were Strategy, RPG, or Simulation games.

I don't know, I grew up with Fallout 2, Might and Magic 4, 5, 6, and Final Fantasy of all numbers all offering 60+ hours. It has a lot to do with the type of game. That said, I would love to see a Might & Magic style game even if it had the same repetitive combat as the old ones.

I think in general I want more atmospheric turn-based games in VR. I know everyone is still head over heels for motion control action though.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 28, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'd buy VR Might & Magic 6/7/8 in a heartbeat.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Hellsau posted:

I'd buy VR Might & Magic 6/7/8 in a heartbeat.

yeah loving 100% same especially 7. I have fond memories of that game

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm on PSVR, we'll buy anything in a heartbeat :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51wVlrhobh4

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

If you have a gap between both cards, air cooling is fine. If the top one is a non-blower and directly against the lower one it can get airflow starved and run hotter making it throttle.

Why would the top one be a "non blower" exactly? Meaning the fan stops functioning correctly on it or something?

Oh and if SLI needs the same model of card then forget SLI. I'll just use it for non SLI stuff.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

iceaim posted:

Why would the top one be a "non blower"exactly? Meaning the fan stops functioning correctly on it or something?

There are two major types of GPU coolers.

Blower:

Open-Air:

There are also AIO and watercooling solutions, but they're a little different.

Blowers are typically better in air-starved or cramped environments, as open-air coolers tend to recirculate warm air in those situations, IIRC. (It's been a while since I've done system building so I'm probably only half-right, though.)

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 28, 2018

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

There are two major types of GPU coolers.

Blower:

Open-Air:

There are also AIO and watercooling solutions, but they're a little different.

Blowers are typically better in air-starved or cramped environments, as open-air coolers tend to recirculate warm air in those situations, IIRC.

Gotcha thanks. I think my current Asus 1080 is an open air cooler, but I'll double check.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I don't know, I grew up with Fallout 2, Might and Magic 4, 5, 6, and Final Fantasy of all numbers all offering 60+ hours. It has a lot to do with the type of game. That said, I would love to see a Might & Magic style game even if it had the same repetitive combat as the old ones.

I think in general I want more atmospheric turn-based games in VR. I know everyone is still head over heels for motion control action though.

I would buy Hand of Fate VR in a hot second.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This got a chuckle outta me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess Palmer is back to making games.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, I guess r/oculus went downhill fast

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The viveport stuff seems like such half assed garbage. How successful HTC will be with it vs steam or oculus I don't know, but I'm definitely not looking forward to a half-dozen headsets with different software stores and incompatible input devices.

At least I'm not a dev trying to survive a fragmented lovely market tho! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sorry to drop in with more questions, but holy poo poo is this stuff hard to Google. I decided to hold off and wait till the Vive Pro (and possibly wireless adapter) comes out before dropping the cash on a real VR set, but has anyone had any experience with the Samsung Gear VR? I've got the newest Note, so I should have the hardware for it, but I can't find anyone really talking about what kind of VR experiences you can get on it, besides vague mentions of how the controller (and headset?) don't track your movements 1-to-1. I was thinking it might at least tide me over for a few months, but I can't tell if it's the VR equivalent of the Google Play store or not. It looks like there are some cool games from reading random top ten lists, but no websites that I've ever heard of cover this stuff. Is it worth a hundred bucks to an actual gamer?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 1, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Gear VR is the best phone VR but it's still poo poo compared to real VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Phenotype posted:

Sorry to drop in with more questions, but holy poo poo is this stuff hard to Google. I decided to hold off and wait till the Vive Pro (and possibly wireless adapter) comes out before dropping the cash on a real VR set, but has anyone had any experience with the Samsung Gear VR? I've got the newest Note, so I should have the hardware for it, but I can't find anyone really talking about what kind of VR experiences you can get on it, besides vague mentions of how the controller (and headset?) don't track your movements 1-to-1. I was thinking it might at least tide me over for a few months, but I can't tell if it's the VR equivalent of the Google Play store or not. It looks like there are some cool games from reading random top ten lists, but no websites that I've ever heard of cover this stuff. Is it worth a hundred bucks to an actual gamer?

Gear VR has some really cool stuff on it, but what they mean by doesn't track 1 to 1 is that while it tracks you head's rotation, tilt, etc, it won't track movements in space. Think of ball on a trackball on your desk spinning in whatever direction, vs picking up the trackball and moving it around your room while its spinning.

It's really not a total killer though, and like I said theres some neat stuff on it, the netflix and other movie viewing apps are well done for example. And there are some decent games for it, ultrawings VR is a fun sort of pilotwings game (and sitting in a cockpit is the kind of thing translational movement of your head isn't *as* important), the esper series are some fun puzzle games, along with 'elevator to the moon' which I played recently. Witchblood is a fun metroidvania platformer that all looks like a doll house opened up with your little character running around, dead & buried is a fun little wild west shooting game that uses the controler and has some multiplayer modes (i believe its free as well). Theres also minecraft vr as well if thats your bag, some star wars droid thing, a bunch of wave shooter stuff etc.

One really fun thing though, thats even better than the desktop VR versions, due to the portability, is 'keep talking and nobody explodes'. Its a really fun game to play with a group of friends where the person in the headset has to defuse a bomb, and all the people outside vr have copies of the cryptic instructions, and have to try to talk the vr wearer through it. It really is a blast at parties and due to the portable nature of the GearVR, you can just sit in a living room, out on a patio, out camping, anywhere and just pass the headset around for it.

This post ended up about 2 paragraphs longer than I expected but, yeah I think if you already have the note, its worth getting the gearVR and controller. It's not as good as a desktop system, of course, but its good in its own way, and since you're waiting for the full vive pro (its only the headset launching soonish, the full set including controllers and lighthouses isn't supposed to be launching until this fall or later), it definitely could give you some fun in VR while you wait. Even after you have a full system its still an easy way to show other people, take it on a plane to zone out, whatever.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Gear VR is fine for your first VR headset, I'd say. You won't want to go back to it after using a real headset but there's a reason it's still the thing used for most demos; it's the cheapest thing you can get that just works. You could even consider going second hand; it's pretty simple hardware so as long as the lenses aren't scratched there's very little to go wrong with it. I do recommend getting the controller, though; while it's closer to a wiimote than to a real motion controller it's still much nicer than the buttons built into the headset.

Content available is definitely light. There are a decent number of neat little games for it but you're going to be getting quirky indie titles rather than ambitious extravaganzas. Still, there's enough there that I don't think it's hard to justify the price when you have the phone already; hell, some people don't even use it for anything other than watching movies.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I always tell people to stay away from the phone based VR stuff, 90% of the times it's a waste of money.

I've never met a real person who actually used his gearvr as in game on it or watch movies, that said, there are some fun simple games people have made and I as recently as a week ago met a company which started out making games to gearvr so who knows apparently there are people there liking it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Gear VR is fine for your first VR headset, I'd say. You won't want to go back to it after using a real headset but there's a reason it's still the thing used for most demos; it's the cheapest thing you can get that just works. You could even consider going second hand; it's pretty simple hardware so as long as the lenses aren't scratched there's very little to go wrong with it. I do recommend getting the controller, though; while it's closer to a wiimote than to a real motion controller it's still much nicer than the buttons built into the headset.

Content available is definitely light. There are a decent number of neat little games for it but you're going to be getting quirky indie titles rather than ambitious extravaganzas. Still, there's enough there that I don't think it's hard to justify the price when you have the phone already; hell, some people don't even use it for anything other than watching movies.

FYI you often can get the last gen Gear VR (2016) headset (the shell) for around $15 ex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Inbox-....c100677.m4598. It's compatible with the current phones but lacks the controller. The current version with a controller is only $100. Getting the last gen + using a Xbox S controller (for bluetooth) might get you a better solution than the current controller.

EDIT: Apparently you can get the controller seprartly for cheap too: https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...tm_campaign=gsx ($19). So for 17+19 I'd suggest trying it out. It's miles away better than cardboard, but not nearly as good as Rift/Vive/WMR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fredrik1 posted:

I've never met a real person who actually used his gearvr as in game on it or watch movies, that said, there are some fun simple games people have made and I as recently as a week ago met a company which started out making games to gearvr so who knows apparently there are people there liking it.

I would say I like it? I use it about as often as I use my Rift, though that's not very often these days; it's certainly not a substitute but it's a lot more portable and quicker to set up.

Stick100 posted:

EDIT: Apparently you can get the controller seprartly for cheap too: https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...tm_campaign=gsx ($19). So for 17+19 I'd suggest trying it out. It's miles away better than cardboard, but not nearly as good as Rift/Vive/WMR.

Yep, separate headset and controller is probably the way to go. I'd recommend it over any kind of bluetooth game controller, both because there are games that make decent use of the aiming and because game controller compatibility is an absolute mess on mobile.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fredrik1 posted:

or watch movies,

Speaking of which, I've noticed some of the VR cinema experiences have very positive reviews, but honestly I don't get it. Are the films not super blurry? Films are where I want sharp edges - what's drawing everyone?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If I had a setup that'd allow it, I wouldn't mind watching even blurry movies if I could lay down and look upwards at a screen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Speaking of which, I've noticed some of the VR cinema experiences have very positive reviews, but honestly I don't get it. Are the films not super blurry? Films are where I want sharp edges - what's drawing everyone?

One tangible advantage of VR watching- 3D videos without compromises. There's zero crosstalk or other weirdness and the colors are better than ever because it doesn't have to use any gimmicks to separate the viewpoints, just feed them into each eye individually straight off the screen.

There's also something to be said for allowing yourself to be convinced that you're watching a screen the size of a small house even if it is a little blurry.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
3D movies! Of course, pretty obvious now you mention it.

In other news I'm trying to install ReVive. On this page it says "Install Oculus Home and skip the first-time setup." - does that mean install the software and then exit before making an Oculus account? The installer never said anything about first time set up. I'm probably being a complete idiot again.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

3D movies! Of course, pretty obvious now you mention it.

In other news I'm trying to install ReVive. On this page it says "Install Oculus Home and skip the first-time setup." - does that mean install the software and then exit before making an Oculus account? The installer never said anything about first time set up. I'm probably being a complete idiot again.

No, you need an Oculus account to use the software. You need to skip the first-time hardware setup when prompted.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

One tangible advantage of VR watching- 3D videos without compromises. There's zero crosstalk or other weirdness and the colors are better than ever because it doesn't have to use any gimmicks to separate the viewpoints, just feed them into each eye individually straight off the screen.

There's also something to be said for allowing yourself to be convinced that you're watching a screen the size of a small house even if it is a little blurry.

yes. the only places I'll deal with 3D are in VR or those fancy laser imax screens that use a projector for each eye. anything else is trash.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Fredrik1 posted:

I always tell people to stay away from the phone based VR stuff, 90% of the times it's a waste of money.

I've used my Daydream to watch movies on airplanes. It's pretty nice to watch a movie in a big theatre while flying Spirit where my tray table literally doesn't fit my DS.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My GearVR was MVP this flu season. Was great having the ability to watch Netflix in bed when I felt too lovely to even make it to the couch.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I have the google daydream v2, do I need some special app to watch 3d movies?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Danith posted:

I have the google daydream v2, do I need some special app to watch 3d movies?

I'm not sure if it has one built in, but i've seen this recommended in general:
https://skybox.xyz/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2y4Z5IkZ0

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

With things like super sampling and apps like bigscreen, I personally watch all my movies in VR now. 3D Or not.

IMAX ON MY FACE!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Stand Out VR just added a new patch that has a bunch of small things in it and one that owns hardcore: PUNCHING.
No longer are you defenseless on the initial drop. Now you can land behind some random chinese kid and beat them to death with your fists or TIGER UPPERCUTS.
This game is just always getting better.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

With things like super sampling and apps like bigscreen, I personally watch all my movies in VR now. 3D Or not.

IMAX ON MY FACE!
Yeah it's pretty great. Only downside is you can't actually get IMAX format, it's all home video widescreen stuff (so far as I know?)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
So many tracking issues at IEM Katowice lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lmao, I saw this posted today, looks like rift users are the biggest pervs for some reason.