Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think 2.0 is going to be a parting of ways for some people and Wiz knew that going in. Some things are shaky and are going to get refined, some things are not because they are a statement of purpose and direction and what kind of game Stellaris aspires to be. Much like with the fate of wormhole and warp, not everyone is gonna go home happy and that's okay even if it is unfortunate.

Wiz and team got a lot of respect from me by doing what is good for the game and knowing how hard it would be to remove features for long term benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So apparently the enigmatic fortress is bugged, it just keeps respawning over and over after I kill it, and the popup that's supposed to start the event chain with projects you can complete doesn't actually give you anything to do. And it's engagement range is really big so my fleet is stuck in an endless cycle of trying to warp out, it wakes up, they move in to engage and kill it again, head back to the warp point, etc. Except that each time it wakes up it kills a couple of the ships in my all corvette fleet, so sooner or later it's going to destroy all 100. It already killed my admiral with this bullshit.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Staltran posted:

Yeah not letting you rival pathetic countries sucks with how many of the CBs are rival-only. Total war should work on any neighbor if you ask me, and you should be able to force ideology on anyone.

Indeed, one of the benefits of being an immensely rich, powerful nation is supposed to be imposing your ideology on weak nations at will :911: The current way it's set up just doesn't make sense to me.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I think my rivalry problem is that every empire outside of the couple fallen empires averages out to pathetic or inferior. It's not my fault the universe is filled with underdeveloped nations, but I still want to force ideology on them!

The first time the Spiritualist FE declared war on me I chose to humiliate them because I wanted the Influence, figured I could impose ideology later (after all, being ascended synths with a colonized holy world basically means the spiritualist FE was always going to hate me). This turned out to be a big mistake because in every follow-up war they were, naturally, pathetic and no longer a valid target.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

Sort of. They randomly die surprisingly often and they also like to give themselves a negative trait that gives them -10000% experience gain.

I had a string of planetary governors who would take office, hit level 2 or 3 and then decide that they weren't ever going to level up any more, so I fired them. It took 4 firings before we ended up with the governor who actually lasted the rest of the game.

I really don't want to jinx myself, but my machine leaders tend to die 1-2 times across 1-2 centuries. This means I had entire games were literally 2 machine leaders died throughout the entire run. My mortal fleshbeasts in comparison tend to drop like flies all the time. Old age is a bitch.

And by the way, all leaders can get that trait. It's been a bane of many of my games. Tons of leaders, all suddenly arresting their development. :suicide:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

metasynthetic posted:

So apparently the enigmatic fortress is bugged, it just keeps respawning over and over after I kill it, and the popup that's supposed to start the event chain with projects you can complete doesn't actually give you anything to do. And it's engagement range is really big so my fleet is stuck in an endless cycle of trying to warp out, it wakes up, they move in to engage and kill it again, head back to the warp point, etc. Except that each time it wakes up it kills a couple of the ships in my all corvette fleet, so sooner or later it's going to destroy all 100. It already killed my admiral with this bullshit.

Fixed in the beta patch, according to the notes.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
For folks having issues with the CB mechanics, someone has a mod out (though not compatible with the beta yet).

There's also a War Weariness reduction mod .

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
It took me way, way, way too long to realize you build construction and science ships at planets and not the shipyard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Halman posted:

It took me way, way, way too long to realize you build construction and science ships at planets and not the shipyard.

It also turns out that shipyards have a "defenses" tab, which I didn't figure out until I had expanded past reasonable chokepoints.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Think I found a bug. My tributary had a few planets rebel against them, which apparently counts as rebelling against me, so they got all my tech. I then diplo-vassalized one of the rebel states. I now get a +30% Technology Sharing (that's the domination finisher) bonus to Focusing Arrays VIII, Aggressive Conditioning IV, and Loader Efficiency VI. Changing to them from console shows that they at least don't have Focusing Arrays VIII yet. So apparently if one of your subjects gets a repeatable tech, you get the bonus to every level of that repeatable.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 1, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Weird thing regarding claims: other empires will dislike you for controlling systems they've laid claim to, even though claims are an offensive action and these are probably systems you've owned from the beginning. There also doesn't seem to be a mechanism to remove claims, even if you've crushed the holder in a war of subjugation, and they can even continue to make claims against you after they've bent the knee to your dominion. This creates situations where a disloyal vassal will steadily make claims to your systems, thus making themselves dislike you even more and preventing any kind of stabilization to your relationship.

It also means that enemy claims are essentially a permanent relationship debuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

I'm way behind in the thread but I wanted to submit these guys for the latest generation of the goon race mod:

The Solarian State

(not shown: starting system is Sol, of course)

Made them natural engineers since that's the only way you can literally create pops to be slaves.

I need a pastebin or similar of your user_empire_designs.txt to add it in.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Weird thing regarding claims: other empires will dislike you for controlling systems they've laid claim to, even though claims are an offensive action and these are probably systems you've owned from the beginning. There also doesn't seem to be a mechanism to remove claims, even if you've crushed the holder in a war of subjugation, and they can even continue to make claims against you after they've bent the knee to your dominion. This creates situations where a disloyal vassal will steadily make claims to your systems, thus making themselves dislike you even more and preventing any kind of stabilization to your relationship.

It also means that enemy claims are essentially a permanent relationship debuff.

There certainly needs to be a way to force a vassal to revoke claims in your territory. Maybe it requires you to be Overwhelming compared to them or something, but it's something that needs to happen. I have a vassal who's -500 because of claims.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do you have an example so I can post a couple?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gyrotica posted:

For folks having issues with the CB mechanics, someone has a mod out (though not compatible with the beta yet).

This seems good and more akin to my game-design philosophy of letting everyone have access to most all options, just at different costs instead of a binary gate system. I know wiz and crew are much more down with the later, thinking it forces more interesting and different playstyles, but I much prefer the former. Let everyone theoretically use most of the mechanics and options, just have different costs/benefits that practically restrain your options but never outright eliminate them if you're willing to pay the price.

Let that pacifist empire take that single system that would make their borders much more pretty and give them a huge defensive advantage, just make them pay like 5x influence costs on claims and let their faction punish them for it. Don't lock out features, price them out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tormented posted:

Wiz and team got a lot of respect from me by doing what is good for the game and knowing how hard it would be to remove features for long term benefits.

Yeah, me too. Most game designers will just shove flashy features into their game, regardless of whether they make the game better or if the AI players have any idea how to use them. The only important thing is that they look good to the potential player and get them to buy the game.

It must take quite a lot of courage as a game designer to go the exact opposite direction and say, "These features you like? They make the game worse, I'm taking them out".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Magil Zeal posted:

There certainly needs to be a way to force a vassal to revoke claims in your territory. Maybe it requires you to be Overwhelming compared to them or something, but it's something that needs to happen. I have a vassal who's -500 because of claims.

I've been eating my vassals, then spitting them out and feeding them their own territory for a massive opinion boost.

This resets their claims, your threat and any malus from having been fighting. It helps with the -50 (now -75!)% influence cost reduction tradition thingie.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 1, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's this element of lameness to this stuff in paradox games I can never quite make my peace with. There feels like there's this resistance to letting the player 'break' any given mechanic, no matter how trivial. Standard playstyle is the usual level a leader -> have them gain xp -> have them die off. So an alternative playstyle is offered - all your leaders can be immortal! How cool!

And then the lameness part is that someone decides "Well yeah, but immortal leaders would be too good, so let's make them stop gaining xp, or just randomly die off, and then you still have immortal leaders but it's not too good"

I just don't get it, if you don't want immortal leaders don't make immortal leaders, but don't make them immortal* (but still having most of the same functional drawbacks as mortal) leaders

That's pretty heavily exaggerated, though. With the Synchronicity perk, you'll lose a single leader every 110 years on average. You're going to lose about three leaders total over the course of a game, five tops if you're unlucky or go for a couple other ascension trees first. And the Arrested Development trait is a standard leader trait that has existed since like 1.0 and only sucks extra hard on machine leaders because they're effectively immortal.

Baronjutter posted:

Vassals absolutely claim systems but I have no idea how that ends up working in a war.

Also I think my rivalry problem is that every empire outside of the couple fallen empires averages out to pathetic or inferior. It's not my fault the universe is filled with underdeveloped nations, but I still want to force ideology on them!

Vassals will trump their overlords if they have more claims on a system. It's kind of a pain if you're fighting a total war and the enemy takes over the system you were building a warp gate in, and it flips to your vassal because they planted a flag on it before you took it back. I wasn't going to integrate those space orcs, but they forced my hand.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but cripes do I regret doing the Enigmatic Fortress event. First I can't seem to get the initial two quests after defeating it, and after I finally do get them and complete it via the Black Hole path, the "Fortress: Repowering" event spams even though the thing's finally been gone.

It just won't stop either! Like...I really wish I hadn't ironmanned this thing now so I could reload back to before finishing it. :(

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gort posted:

It must take quite a lot of courage as a game designer to go the exact opposite direction and say, "These features you like? They make the game worse, I'm taking them out".

This chain of thought started from a post I made, so I feel I should make a point to say I don't feel like they removed any particular feature that I liked, per se. I'm fine with hyperlanes-only or whatever. It's just my primary problem with the game has not been addressed, and in fact, has been made worse, as a result of the various changes in this build. I'd like the game to be more active, and to have more things for the player to actively do, more than things that happen to the player, if that makes any sense.

I understand part of it is that I'm a builder more than a destroyer, and certainly this update focused more on war than anything else. But it's like, I could never play a Fanatical Purifier. It just doesn't appeal to me on any level, because destroying for the sake of destroying is not why I play these games. If I'm declaring war, it's to claim more assets for my empire.

THE BAR posted:

I've been eating my vassals, then spitting them out and feeding them their own territory for a massive opinion boost.

This resets their claims, your threat and any malus from having been fighting. It helps with the -50 (now -75!)% influence cost reduction tradition thingie.

If I wasn't already feeling constantly Influence-starved I might give that a try.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

ConfusedUs posted:

Fixed in the beta patch, according to the notes.

Thank god.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My bad:
https://pastebin.com/gLitqJWY

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

"This is a good framework for a good space game to be built on later but it's not ready yet", then subscribe to the 2.0.2 beta and play it now.

I'm probably gonna spend $20 (for Utopia) when I get home now.

Don't let me down, Gort.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magil Zeal posted:

This chain of thought started from a post I made, so I feel I should make a point to say I don't feel like they removed any particular feature that I liked, per se. I'm fine with hyperlanes-only or whatever. It's just my primary problem with the game has not been addressed, and in fact, has been made worse, as a result of the various changes in this build. I'd like the game to be more active, and to have more things for the player to actively do, more than things that happen to the player, if that makes any sense.

I understand part of it is that I'm a builder more than a destroyer, and certainly this update focused more on war than anything else. But it's like, I could never play a Fanatical Purifier. It just doesn't appeal to me on any level, because destroying for the sake of destroying is not why I play these games. If I'm declaring war, it's to claim more assets for my empire.

If I wasn't already feeling constantly Influence-starved I might give that a try.

Same, I just want to play a nice peaceful nation that does good in the galaxy, using force when needed. But outside of war and tile management there's just not a lot to do. I'd love more internal stuff to do. Like get rid of sectors and replace them with vassals of various levels of autonomy and give me lots of fun stuff to do with setting up how this system works. Give me more options for exerting "soft" pressure on other countries, let me demand a slaver stop slaving and get a CB against them if they say no. Let me demand that hive-mind release the race they just conquered and are genociding as a vassal instead of killing everyone, and if they say no give me a CB to get in there and win those poor folk independence. Let me fund slave revolts, let me fund pro-egalitarian or pro-whatever movements, let me fund rebels for conquered oppressed people. Sure the target of my work would get a CB from me, and authoritarians would get a lot of tools at their disposal to pretty much lock me out of influencing their country.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Magil Zeal posted:

Another reason why I'm having trouble letting go of my spiritualist/authority/militarist build. I should probably ditch militarist, but I need it for my crusader fetish.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trivia posted:

I started a new game. Things were going swimmingly. Then I meet my neighbors, fanatical purifiers no less. "No problem." I think, surely I can beat them in a rush.

Then I start scouting and see that the game really hates me.

It's a bit hard to see, but that ONE system has 38 loving minerals in it. From what I assume is a shattered planet.

gently caress you, game.

just wait until they start mining it

:cthulhu: :gibs:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jazerus posted:

this is kind of a mischaracterization. from the very beginning, augustus had a fairly large household staff that doubled as, essentially, command staff for the empire as a whole, handling routine communications from governors and directing policy in the significant chunk of the empire that had non-senatorial governors because augustus owned it as personal property. he had a huge network of clients, both inherited from caesar and established himself, who carried out his will outside of formal channels, including some agents you could accurately describe as secret police, who watched the administrations of the provinces for unusual levels of corruption and hunted national security threats.

this informal imperial administration kept going as though augustus were still alive for quite a while after he died, in the sense that they ran the empire in basically the same way as augustus would have while his successors brooded and partied and went into bloodthirsty rages. diocletian formalized what remained of it as an actual imperial court because he loved the trappings of monarchy, and because it desperately needed to be formalized to continue operating.

i love the name / probably-origin of his pseudo-secret-police

the frumentarii, or "dudes who collect wheat"

because the Agriculture Guy develops a shitload of contacts

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh found out that's an actual file.

Here is the Grand Extrasolar Indemnity Company. I wish I knew how to mod namelists so I could modify stuff like fleet design names. I love my "Accident Forgiveness-class" ships.

https://pastebin.com/bADWtsfj

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's this element of lameness to this stuff in paradox games I can never quite make my peace with. There feels like there's this resistance to letting the player 'break' any given mechanic, no matter how trivial. Standard playstyle is the usual level a leader -> have them gain xp -> have them die off. So an alternative playstyle is offered - all your leaders can be immortal! How cool!

And then the lameness part is that someone decides "Well yeah, but immortal leaders would be too good, so let's make them stop gaining xp, or just randomly die off, and then you still have immortal leaders but it's not too good"

I just don't get it, if you don't want immortal leaders don't make immortal leaders, but don't make them immortal* (but still having most of the same functional drawbacks as mortal) leaders

Well mortal leaders can also gain -1000% xp trait, why shouldnt machines? Not all of them get it, your lucky leader will live forever while organic will die.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Any ETA for this patch?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/warning-to-wide-players-unity-costs-are-now-multiplied.1073408/&sdpDevPosts=1

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A beta patch with that fix is already available. Not sure about final release date.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Anyone else seeing their fleet cap drop every time they load a save?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fighting the Contingency has taught me that gateways are rad as gently caress. The size of my empire and the scale of the threat meant that, in order to get reinforcements in any sort of sensible timeframe, in order not to stall out the advance, I had to build a gateway over every shipyard in the empire and at every forward base against the C. Now of course anyone can just drop their entire navy into my industrial heartland whenever they please, but it's also made my internal lines vanishingly short. New era for galactic travel indeed. :eng101:

(the war still took fifty years jesus gently caress)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jackie D posted:

Anyone else seeing their fleet cap drop every time they load a save?

Yes, but it goes back up after a few seconds.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
A couple of days ago I sat down with the intention of making a slaver race but instead made space Norwegian plant friends??

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So is fanatical purifier the best archetype if I just want to be a marauding conqueror?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Javes posted:

So is fanatical purifier the best archetype if I just want to be a marauding conqueror?

They're basically space Nazis out to kill everyone who isn't like them. They cannot engage in diplomacy, and everyone hates them. If you want to literally kill everyone else, FPs are for you.

If you just want to be aggressive and bullying, Barbaric Despoilers are more up your alley, or anything Fanatic Millitarist.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Now of course anyone can just drop their entire navy into my industrial heartland whenever they please, but it's also made my internal lines vanishingly short. New era for galactic travel indeed. :eng101:

I'm pretty sure that people can't jump to one of your gateways if you don't have open borders to them (or are, say, at war)?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Javes posted:

Do you want to lord it over the lesser races or just exterminate them? 2.0's got a new "Barbarian Despoiler" civic for when you want to be only 80% evil, or you could just pick Slaver Guilds/Feudal Society and be a dick about it.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Before the beta: 218 months to next tradition pick.

After the beta: instantly get seven picks and the time goes down to 12 months.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure that people can't jump to one of your gateways if you don't have open borders to them (or are, say, at war)?

Last I checked this was as yet unclear. You definitely can't use a wormhole if the other end is in the territory of actors you're in a pseudo-war with- Marauders, the crises, I tested that. But that's pretty weird/surprising behaviour if it's intended that way. I'm leaning towards it being a bug.

Whether you can use them in a regular war is something I haven't tested yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Intended is for wormholes to be open to anyone while gates are restricted under normal movement rules but people you're at war with can't use them. Wormholes were explicitly supposed to be usable in war.