Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Oh drat, maybe I missed that one, I picked up at least 1 or 2 PDAs in there.

Also if I'm cheating with a map, what's the actual name of that area?

"Jellyshroom Caves" is what you're looking for. Make sure you scan all the furniture and equipment too since it could save you a lot of fragment hunting :v: I usually hit the bases early on for that reason alone

Escape Pod 5 is just above a Jellyshroom entrance, so if you want to save some time navigating you can flick on that beacon

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

I haven't found that spoiler'd thing and the only things in that cave where the little fish that bite and the blood crab things :(

Ah well, this game is fun and I don't really care. The Cyclops is a pain in the butt to navigate and I wish it had 2 vehicle bays.

Also I seem to have run out of radio transmissions to move me forward in the story. I've found all the lifepods so far, found both islands, and I randomly stumbled on the neon purple giant mushroom cave and the base there. Anything specific I should be looking out for next? I happened upon an area super-heavy with rubies and quartz and farmed that, but I don't remember where it was or how to get back to it with the Cyclops.

This game is like a loving drug.

If you've thoroughly explored both islands (and done the Mountain island in the context of the Sunbeam), you should have received a PDA message with vague further instructions. Specifically, I read a message around then that said: you're infected, but there is activity indicating another alien base south-west of the Quarantine Enforcement Platform (the gun) that can help you research it further. It's accurate enough, but (more detailed hints) you'll need to go way deep--about 600m--to reach the biome with it.. At least I'm pretty sure that's how they guide you.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 1, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

but I don't remember where it was or how to get back to it with the Cyclops.

This game is like a loving drug.

Stock up on beacons. They save a heap of loving around, and this game allows for plenty of loving around and burning time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thanks for the tips. I think my next step is to move my materials over to the Cyclops and set up shop in there. Then I can figure out where to explore next.

Where do the Seamoth depth upgrades come from? I only have one, but at this point I think I'd much prefer to have that instead of the Prawn when I got down to 400-500.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Where do the Seamoth depth upgrades come from? I only have one, but at this point I think I'd much prefer to have that instead of the Prawn when I got down to 400-500.

The modification station will let you upgrade your depth module, for all vehicles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I am going to get goddamn Jojo with the Prawn. I built an armor upgrade for the hell of it too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have no idea if I even made a dent in its HP but drat was it satisfying to have that Ghost charge me like 3 times and get punched a bunch of times and swim away.

One of the passes it took at me I timed it perfectly and punched it and it broke away from charging me and didn't do any damagae I felt like a total badass

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I had one of those Sea Dragon fuckers clip through a wall and take a big bite out of my poo poo, and it only did like 20 damage. I flew really far away, though :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the scariest moments I've had was sailing off the edge of the map trying to find stuff on the vertical wall (I know there's nothing but my inner-explorer refuses to believe that). Suddenly I heard shrieking and had 3 ghost leviathans circling around my seamoth shoving it around. I got so disoriented that aside from the leviathans I could only see complete darkness and had no idea which direction was up or down.

That's one the freakiest things that can happen to a diver. Being trapped in a cave is scary but its equally terrifying to be so far down in open water that you can't even tell what direction up is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

If your Cyclops gets hit hard enough, it'll actually turn upside down from the impact sometimes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember hearing Big Spice in the Ghost Forest yelling at me and just continuing swimming since I figured he'd get caught on the trees I always swim near. I took a peek behind me after a while to see he had JUST lost interest in me less than a meter away from my feet :whitewater:

Also in looking up the name of the Ghost Forest, I just learned Big Spice is only a baby, and there's a picture of him next to an adult and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please tell me what thread of logic led you to nickname that enemy "Big Spice".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The least known spice girl, obviously.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Internet Kraken posted:

Please tell me what thread of logic lead you to nickname that enemy "Big Spice".

He gets very spicy every time I swim in his forest. Also he's big

I am a simple man with simple nicknames :saddowns:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Legs Benedict posted:

yeah i’m not great with the predators thing.

Right now I have a decent little base at 0,0 but I’d like to move somewhere with good thermals so i can get rid of my bioreactor and change up my structure a bit, have some fun.

Wish there were a good map that would just show me where vents are :mad: guess I could just seamoth around for a night and pop some beacons down and then evaluate once I’ve found a bunch. Don’t really wanna have to do crazy cyclops maneuvering to get in and out of the base tho

A bit directly away from the Lost River entrance near Lifepod 2 are some thermal vents. The same area ALSO has a fast travel spot that unlocks in the endgame. Just on the other side of an underwater ridge from Lifepod 2.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

"Big Spice" is easy. When he's coming for you he lets off a distinctive scream and if you're in the Prawn all you need to do is strafe slowly to sidestep him. His body might make contact but you'll avoid all damage until the next scream.

What's not easy is navigating the cyclops through those trees. Twice in there I got lodged in them and had to swim around the cyclops to see where it was stuck, and once I had to patch some holes.

Worth it for a FOB seabase at the Junction though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are we really loving naming this thing big spice?

besides big spice freaks me right the heckk out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've started living directly out of the Tree Cove, so I usually only see him when I'm headed to or from the surface in the Seamoth. I also haven't been arsed to build a Cyclops yet, but I can see how that'd be a little tougher to sneak past him with

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Turtlicious posted:

are we really loving naming this thing big spice?

besides big spice freaks me right the heckk out.
I prefer the early thread nomenclature of Ghost Sea Satan myself :colbert:

Sea Satan, Ghost Sea Satan, and Super Sea Satan's.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Also gets a recommendation! It plays nice with other QMods on Nexus (like a real in-game map with fog-of-war and landmarks) but not HexiDave's stuff. I wish they were compatible :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone do me a favor and tell me if blood oil clusters glow in the dark? It'd take forever to get a reference image for a drawing I'm doing and every time I google for Subnautica images I get a totally unrelated spoiler. bonus points if you provide a pic.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Jesus Christ, this game is terrifying!

Why are there screaming exploding fish everywhere!? Why are there minnows in the kelp forests trying to mind rape me!?!? WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT GIANT HELLBEAST BY THE CRASH SITE OH GOD WHY DOES IT MAKE THAT NOISE WHYWHYWHY!?!?! :gonk:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Become one with the zen of there not being any actual challenge beyond your own fears.

Xaris posted:

I installed this yesterday and could never look back. Highly recommend
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/11

Psssh way wrong, wtf is this

quote:

Misc: The Coffee Machine is now used as a base power/light switch instead.

e:

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 1, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think there's one that just always appears near the Degasi jellyshroom base. Not sure but I've found one cell charger fragment there (AND NONE ANYWHERE ELSE) in the last three playthroughs I've done.

yep, that's the one i have :/

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Jesus Christ, this game is terrifying!

Why are there screaming exploding fish everywhere!? Why are there minnows in the kelp forests trying to mind rape me!?!? WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT GIANT HELLBEAST BY THE CRASH SITE OH GOD WHY DOES IT MAKE THAT NOISE WHYWHYWHY!?!?! :gonk:

The sounds are great and freak you out every time.

I finally started a new game. After flailing around for a few minutes I found my feet again. 1 silver ore from a high capacity tank, and pretty close to having a habitat builder after 40 minutes. I forgot how much you could make with your first haul of titanium.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pick up a mesmer with the gravity gun sometime and listen to the entire audio file for its hypnosis. It turns into a sick techno beat if you let it go long enough.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Can someone post the link to the "fabricators auto-pull from storage" mod? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone do me a favor and tell me if blood oil clusters glow in the dark? It'd take forever to get a reference image for a drawing I'm doing and every time I google for Subnautica images I get a totally unrelated spoiler. bonus points if you provide a pic.

Everything grows in the dark.
Or do you want a picture from where they originally grow?

Afriscipio posted:

Can someone post the link to the "fabricators auto-pull from storage" mod? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dunno-Lars posted:

Everything grows in the dark.
Or do you want a picture from where they originally grow?

I meant glow, as in if they are bioluminiscent or not. I don't have any screenshots of the blood kelp zone and the lighting in this game is weird so it'd be nice to have reference images for it when drawing.

I could get them myself but I forgot and running back over there would take :effort:

Speaking of which, I had to haul this 1200+ meters from that zone but it makes for a good base decoration;

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

alrighty time for a base dump

here's the main complex. you can see: the two containment rooms on the right side, the main work space in the middle, living space in bottom left, moonpool to the left, reactor room behind that, scanner room past that (with the camera drones overlapping it). note that the containment rooms are on a higher elevation than the rest of the base.

a closer look, you can see my garden and solar panels. this is the original foundation of the base, which grew around it.

main workspace. in here: bioreactor, battery charger, power cell charger, filtration system, fabricator, medkit fabricator, two lockers.

the smaller alien containment unit (containment 1). this is where i hatch eggs and keep predators. i don't remember what egg is in there now, maybe a river prowler?

the larger containment unit, three stories tall (containment 2). this is the herbivore tank, where friends can share space and play and laugh. it's also where i breed peepers both for food and fuel.

yup. it's tall.

a scenic route between these chambers. they also connect directly, but this is for nice views for my aquarium guests. also there's a hatch in this tunnel leading out and a ladder down to the main complex.

here's my bedroom. there's a hatch out, and it connects to a hallway linked to the moonpool and the main workspace. i need to make a new vending machine!

the moonpool where my humble SQUIDFUCKER docks. all of my vehicles have the most garish paint schemes i can imagine

the reactor room links the moonpool and the scanner room. i didn't include screencaps of the scanner room inside cause it's, well, a scanner room, but it has three range upgrades. beyond the scanner room is a ladder up to the long passage towards the jellyshroom caves annex

here's a passage leading away from the main complex

and even more passageway to get to the cave entrance

whoa that's a long way down

that's a lotta rungs. good cardio.

little passageway at the bottom, to get to where the good views are

and here's my observatory, deep in the jellyshroom cave. sometimes i sits and thinks... and sometimes i just sits

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Internet Kraken posted:

No, the clusters do not glow in the dark. The tree's are bioluminescent though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They don't glow? They seem pretty bright.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I'm trying to make a museum in one of my rooms. Got all the basic materials placed but not sure what else to put in. A lot of these items have wonky hitboxes so they don't even sit on the ground properly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

alrighty time for a base dump

here's the main complex. you can see: the two containment rooms on the right side, the main work space in the middle, living space in bottom left, moonpool to the left, reactor room behind that, scanner room past that (with the camera drones overlapping it). note that the containment rooms are on a higher elevation than the rest of the base.

a closer look, you can see my garden and solar panels. this is the original foundation of the base, which grew around it.

main workspace. in here: bioreactor, battery charger, power cell charger, filtration system, fabricator, medkit fabricator, two lockers.

the smaller alien containment unit (containment 1). this is where i hatch eggs and keep predators. i don't remember what egg is in there now, maybe a river prowler?

the larger containment unit, three stories tall (containment 2). this is the herbivore tank, where friends can share space and play and laugh. it's also where i breed peepers both for food and fuel.

yup. it's tall.

a scenic route between these chambers. they also connect directly, but this is for nice views for my aquarium guests. also there's a hatch in this tunnel leading out and a ladder down to the main complex.

here's my bedroom. there's a hatch out, and it connects to a hallway linked to the moonpool and the main workspace. i need to make a new vending machine!

the moonpool where my humble SQUIDFUCKER docks. all of my vehicles have the most garish paint schemes i can imagine

the reactor room links the moonpool and the scanner room. i didn't include screencaps of the scanner room inside cause it's, well, a scanner room, but it has three range upgrades. beyond the scanner room is a ladder up to the long passage towards the jellyshroom caves annex

here's a passage leading away from the main complex

and even more passageway to get to the cave entrance

whoa that's a long way down

that's a lotta rungs. good cardio.

little passageway at the bottom, to get to where the good views are

and here's my observatory, deep in the jellyshroom cave. sometimes i sits and thinks... and sometimes i just sits

holy poo poo that's awesome. At the very least I want to build tunnels around to cool biomes like that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Can you actually sit in the chair? I had the same idea but it seemed like the desk kept preventing me from sitting down and I couldn't get the placement right.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Can you actually sit in the chair? I had the same idea but it seemed like the desk kept preventing me from sitting down and I couldn't get the placement right.

I'm still crushed that the swivel chair doesn't actually let you turn while sitting. The blueprint description is a lie!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

General rule of thumb I've found with getting chairs to work when placing them where a normal human would, is to stand between the chair and let's say desk, then squeeze it in as close as you can before your own hitbox makes it unplacable. Placing it at an angle rather than head on helps as well, and is nice for that lived-in aesthetic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to make a museum in one of my rooms. Got all the basic materials placed but not sure what else to put in. A lot of these items have wonky hitboxes so they don't even sit on the ground properly.

There are lots of unique decorative objects in the game that are otherwise worthless, like the captains tiny model of the Aurora or some nerds science beakers, duffle bags, posters, etc. You should collect all of them!
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Placeable_Items

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Rutibex posted:

OK, I am a big enough man to admit when I was wrong. The Prawn Suit is loving awesome! It is not nearly as slow as I first thought. I was worried about getting trapped in deep holes, but the jump jets (even without upgrades) are very generous. I can easily navigate really deep trenches, and there are usually lots of ledges to jump on. Its actually faster to gather resources in the Prawn Suit vs the Seamoth. Jumping around is also kind of a more fun gameplay experience than just floating around. The fact that I don't have to get out all the time to pick up resources saves a heck of a lot of time, and the extra cargo space is fantastic. I was also able to punch those stalker fish in the face, which was satisfying :black101:

Cyclops + Prawn Suit really is the ultimate. Sea Moths can get lost! It really chews through the power though, recharging the suit and using the fabricator and moving around all the time. I am going to have to make a bunch of power stations around the map. I managed to transfer all of my loot from my starter base onto the sub, which gave me the opportunity to sort it :v: It took me quite a while to get it all into proper containers, I have never missed modded Minecraft so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

This video really shows how different an experience the Prawn suit is to the Seamoth.

Seamoth needs something to make it stand out. > 900M Crush depth, Silent running (or some sort of active camouflage?) x2 Speed or even emergency speed for escaping Leviathans?

Hell, even a rearview camera so that Reapers can't sneak up on you would be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm thinking of making a base where I can walk/run to my favourite areas. Still early days on my new save as I've just got the blueprint for the seamoth and about to do the Aurora for loot and blueprints. So far my base is just two corridors with one solar panel. I'm not sure I can even make my base much larger as I haven't picked up any lithium for reinforcing.