Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Once you stop trying to be a perfectionist in taskstream and just loving turn poo poo in you blow right through the minor stuff.

poo poo, I'm working on my first PA and the course mentor just told me not to worry much, there are like 2 things they look for and the rest are more just guidelines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMkuPiIZ2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cods posted:

So I've read all of your advice, bit I'm still torn on which cert to go for first. A+ or Google. Im leaning toward the Google one first though because I'm a total noob.

Also recommendation for a place for a used desktop? I know someone said look at local universitys.

Go google. A+ is worthless and overly expensive. Good way to get your foot in the door doing the most basic of helpdesk-y things, but it doesn't teach you poo poo.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nothing worse than finding out your super awesome manager has taken another position within the company and is gone in a month. One of the best managers I've worked with.

However with that said, I'm sorta interested in taking over her manager spot. While I have no real managerial experience on my resume, I am the senior tech at this hospital, basically lead out all projects, the team of 3 other techs I'm on all respect me and come to me with any questions/concerns and my director even asked if I were going to apply for her spot. I've been in IT for some odd 15 years now, I didn't think I'd want to move into management but thinking more about it, this seems like a great opportunity for me. Our managers are kinda unique in that they are still hands on with tech at the hospital and when she's not around I basically run the department as is. The position opens next week and she said she'd help me with my resume and kinda guide me through some things I'd need to know for the position.

So, maybe possible unexpected :yotj: soon?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh man 140 posts something cool must be goin on..... oh punkbob hot takes, ffs

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MF_James posted:

oh man 140 posts something cool must be goin on..... oh punkbob hot takes, ffs

I was part of this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I already had most of the certs and some community college done. I got my undergrad in a year. I worked my rear end off for that year, but yeah.

Once you stop trying to be a perfectionist in taskstream and just loving turn poo poo in you blow right through the minor stuff.

Truth. Once I started just working to get to a point where I could pass a class, the time required goes waaaaaay down. I am going to try to get... 20 classes done in this 6 month period, not sure I am gonna manage it, lol.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Since we are anime chat in here now I am pondering finally abandoning the smol horse avatar after nearly 7 years.

On topic, I am super happy because after 3 years I am finally shifting to a more day-shift. Like, I love nights, but I have hit the point where I have capped out on knowledge job will teach me on 3rd shift, and moving to hybrid 1st/2nd means I can learn all the office politics shenanigans which I am looking forward to since eventual goal is a CTO-style position somewhere.

It's still weird, though, since I have acquired a ton of specialized knowledge about my internal server build process over the past 2 years (And subsequently, way more 'How to creatively troubleshoot') and yet insofar as traditional IT goes - well, after 4 years in the field I still have 0 certs and a complete hodgepodge acquisition of knowledge.

And yet I am confident if dumped into a different environment I could suck it all up in 3-6 months, which is the best part.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

cods posted:

So I've read all of your advice, bit I'm still torn on which cert to go for first. A+ or Google. Im leaning toward the Google one first though because I'm a total noob.

Also recommendation for a place for a used desktop? I know someone said look at local universitys.

Yeah check and see if you can get contact info for somebody in surplus or something at university. It's probably gonna be a shitbox with no hard drive, but it's good to gently caress around with.

If I think about it I'll look in my closet tonight to see if I have an old PC or server laying around. I can't promise they work 100%, but I can send them to you if you pay for shipping.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have a vendor they really like in the private sector? I'm coming from government where everything routed through an acquisitions office and just got approval from our COO to move away from Insight after some iffy experiences.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our PC Connections reps at my last job were great, though according to Linkedin they've both moved on so who knows. I reckon that perceived quality of vendor is a direct function of the quality of account manager you are assigned, in most cases. SHI is forever on my blacklist due to a string of AMs that would never leave me alone, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone else try them and see if they wind up being a good fit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Back when I did business with Dell, they changed account reps like every 2 months it seems. I'm guessing that kind of job is really temporary and people jump ship to get pay increases.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

Our PC Connections reps at my last job were great, though according to Linkedin they've both moved on so who knows. I reckon that perceived quality of vendor is a direct function of the quality of account manager you are assigned, in most cases. SHI is forever on my blacklist due to a string of AMs that would never leave me alone, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone else try them and see if they wind up being a good fit.

To add onto this, SHI sucks rear end never going to even consider with them.

We go through PCM and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Responsive, easy to work with, willing to come down on pricing a bit, good stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Walked posted:

Anyone have a vendor they really like in the private sector? I'm coming from government where everything routed through an acquisitions office and just got approval from our COO to move away from Insight after some iffy experiences.

CDW gets a good rep around here. I like Softcat in the UK.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I had fairly good experiences with CDW as well. Pretty quick on turnaround and the sales rep helped me put together some importation documents that our Mexico facility required.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CDW REALLY depends on your rep, we tried to use one that's in our area and he just straight up wouldn't respond to anything ever. I am actually good friends with a guy that works the Florida area (I am pretty sure, I'm double-checking) if someone is there and needs a good rep at CDW to deal with.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've had the same CDW rep for the last 8 years while working for 3 different companies. I'd run out of fingers if I tried counting how many times we've gone out for dinner and entertainment either here, in his home city, or Vegas. edit: He's based out of the mid-west while we are California. Doesn't affect what he does for us.

One really cool thing we've been leveraging recently is their in-house Microsoft licensing experts. Getting on calls with them, getting emails answered same day, all related to the nightmare of Microsoft. Totally worth their premium.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 2, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We've a great CDW rep and things are generally very quick and easy with them. No complaints.

The fact that I have no complaints is a testament to our account rep.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is a cdw rep worth talking to for very small orders? like one person company level?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s funny, the weather just got way better overnight and now I’m working way harder because I feel fantastic. 63 degrees in CO wen it hadn’t gone above the 30s for a week or two.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rather than going through a huge fulfillment provider like CDW or SHI it would probably be beneficial for a lot of people to go through a smaller local reseller.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Rather than going through a huge fulfillment provider like CDW or SHI it would probably be beneficial for a lot of people to go through a smaller local reseller.

That's what we do. We're pretty happy. Being an HP partner means they can come fix my poo poo without me having to call HP.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CDW US is great, they get us our poo poo promptly and our rep responds within hours of being emailed.

CDW UK managed to take weeks to get back to us on anything, and over four months for computer orders to ship to us. Not sure if there was just some hate for US based companies (we were TRYING to open our first european offices at the time) but they lost our business over the poo poo they pulled.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We use softchoice, our sales rep is awesome and I email him for every little thing.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Dang this place is crazy. In an effort to not have me leave they offered to pay me $130/hr on a corp to corp if I don't take the other corp to corp role that's paying $108. Almost worth it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't you just hate the fuckin guy?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Hates a strong word. I think the business as a whole is working it's way into failure and ignoring legit concerns from your top talent until they leave is a terrible way to operate until said failure. Since I have all the leverage right now I think I'm going to have to figure out if I will be able to partner with them and operate at my own pace while fulfilling my duties to the other contract. I don't think it's possible (and unethical ) though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No I mean we hate you for how much you make.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh.

Well I hate you guys for how much you don't make

Edit: also jaeger makes over 200k, hate him too

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sepist posted:

Oh.

Guillotine.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

Oh.

Edit: also jaeger makes over 200k, hate him too

Congrats on ascending to the ranks of the bourgeoisie, please remember to think of us proles as you ash your filtered cigarette and don your monocle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:yotj:

6 months on the Appalachian Trail. 3 more in Europe afterwards. Somehow land back on my feet almost a year later making 50% more than my last job. Now for a short vacation from the unemployment before I start proper in 2 weeks.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

George H.W. oval office posted:

6 months on the Appalachian Trail. 3 more in Europe afterwards. Somehow land back on my feet almost a year later making 50% more than my last job. Now for a short vacation from the unemployment before I start proper in 2 weeks.

I've made this joke before, but I can't not read that as a Euphemism for shacking up with a mistress.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

George H.W. oval office posted:

If y’all need someone to hate for good work luck, this is the guy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I work in IT, I have enough hate to spread to everyone.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Inspector_666 posted:

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwQ-4bYUho

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't believe you guys even know Death Grips much less have memes ready

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is guillotine a death grips thing? It’s a running joke in BFC based off of that D&D edit of the New York Times article of all of the people making $150-400k looking all sad about how they will be paying more taxes in Obama’s America.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Well you were probably using it earnestly, but their responses were definitely Death Grips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is guillotine a death grips thing? It’s a running joke in BFC based off of that D&D edit of the New York Times article of all of the people making $150-400k looking all sad about how they will be paying more taxes in Obama’s America.
WSJ, not NYT. The poor artist was just told to draw sad people and had no idea why until they saw the finished work :(