Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh man this is gonna end real well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What I've heard is that horses are ridiculous money pits and time sinks and having them means dedicating all your free time and money to their care and it's insane. It's a bit like if your wife was really into vintage Ferraris.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Leperflesh posted:

What I've heard is that horses are ridiculous money pits and time sinks and having them means dedicating all your free time and money to their care and it's insane. It's a bit like if your wife was really into vintage Ferraris.

Please list the money costs. She has been volunteering for a horse rescue for the past two years and had her own horse for a better part of the year before that prior to moving. Granted she was only doing half boarding at the time.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 1, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo man this is what I've heard, I'd just be googling "costs of keeping a horse" and I'm sure you can do that. But there's horror stories out there, people making $100k a year and spending $50k of it just on horse stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

It’s starting from scratch

So you're planning for 5 figures worth of fence, a barn and run in sheds? Awesome.

She's probably gonna want a tractor or gator or something also.

Etrips posted:

I don’t understand how they can possibly go bankrupt though unless they are improperly cared for / injured where vets bills can get high real quick.

Sounds like you do understand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

poo poo man this is what I've heard, I'd just be googling "costs of keeping a horse" and I'm sure you can do that. But there's horror stories out there, people making $100k a year and spending $50k of it just on horse stuff.

The costs, once you have the land and facilities, can be very reasonable, especially if you have enough pasture that you aren't hay feeding all year long.

That being said, most people who end up in trouble over this treat it as an all-encompassing lifestyle choice, where $12,000 custom saddles are an absolute requirement and a $0.75 12-gauge rifled slug isn't a solution to a gravely injured animal.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
https://www.moneycrashers.com/cost-owning-horse-alternatives-buying/

Horses are expensive!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Motronic posted:

The costs, once you have the land and facilities, can be very reasonable, especially if you have enough pasture that you aren't hay feeding all year long.

That being said, most people who end up in trouble over this treat it as an all-encompassing lifestyle choice, where $12,000 custom saddles are an absolute requirement and a $0.75 12-gauge rifled slug isn't a solution to a gravely injured animal.

Yeah I've heard about boarding fees, paying people to rub your horse (currying? I think it's called currying) because you can't go rub the horse every single day, the costs of a horse hauling trailer and a truck and their care and maintenance, paying people to ride your horse, and of course vet bills. And I'm not a horse person expert so I'm just guessing that's the tip of the iceburg.

I bet very prudent horse owners can keep costs under control, really, horror stories can be overblown. :shrug:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Most of the costs are when you have to divorce your crazy horse wife.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Motronic posted:

So you're planning for 5 figures worth of fence, a barn and run in sheds? Awesome.

She's probably gonna want a tractor or gator or something also.

This is correct. No debt and no kids (ever). She already has all of her tack that she needs.

Edit: no debt aside from the one we are about to acquire with the house.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 1, 2018

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Whatever you do, speaking as a conservation professional, please plan your poo poo out and talk to your local Ag extension and conservation/soil district. Boarding a single horse is a whole different game than managing a whole operation, and I've been to multiple places where people have spent that $300,000 on a barn, fencing, etc. Then I roll up and have to tell them half if it isn't legal.

If you happen to be looking in PA drop me a PM.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

She already has all of her tack that she needs.

lol

Please come back and admit when you realize how wrong you are.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LogisticEarth posted:

Whatever you do, speaking as a conservation professional, please plan your poo poo out and talk to your local Ag extension and conservation/soil district. Boarding a single horse is a whole different game than managing a whole operation, and I've been to multiple places where people have spent that $300,000 on a barn, fencing, etc. Then I roll up and have to tell them half if it isn't legal.

If you happen to be looking in PA drop me a PM.

Thanks for the piece of advice. I will definitely look into it some more tonight.
edit: What information am I looking for exactly in regards to the conservation/soil district piece?
edit2: just going to PM you!

Motronic posted:

lol

Please come back and admit when you realize how wrong you are.

Fair enough, thankfully she doesn't have fashion fetishes where she has to buy tons of clothes/purses/shoes. She would rather play with ponies. :horse:

Etrips fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 1, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's cruel to keep a single horse on it's own, they're herd animals and need the constant presence of other horses to feel comfortable.

...is a thing your wife is going to tell you during the Should We Get A Second Horse Debate. She'll be right, of course, so you should mention this during the Should We Get A Single Horse Debate, preemptively.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
And the F350 to pull the two horse trailer because buying that is better sense than having to sell the one horse trailer and upgrade when you get he second horse.

What about a four horse trailer since you have that F350?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Homeownership: Do you even horse?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Be sure to budget for when all the horse's hair falls out because somebody breathed on it wrong

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Alarbus posted:

And the F350 to pull the two horse trailer because buying that is better sense than having to sell the one horse trailer and upgrade when you get he second horse.

She already owns a Tundra.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

I'd go for a 6. But that has to be aluminum and we need to put air suspension in the back of the 350. Or just a 4 with a tack room and air conditioning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Etrips posted:

She already owns a Tundra.

Not available as a dually. And every proper horse chick needs 6 tires on her truck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seriously though you will need more tow power than a Tundra.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Gonna need some hay rings for your hay. And to store it. A nice big tractor will move the round bales a lot easier for you. 2 horse slant load trailer with living quarters and a gooseneck is also good. And knowing a good farrier and big animal vet. Don’t need a barn for the horses but some good fencing and barbed wire works. And the ability to fix fence monthly because horses escape and trees fall down on fence yearly.

My mom has horses. My dad says if she dies before him, the horses and all their equipment will be gone in a week. Good luck!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Wish I had extra land to grow & bale hay. Have a few friends that do it for some extra money.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seriously though you will need more tow power than a Tundra.

I have had 3 horses in a steel trailer behind my tundra. Its fine. Round bales are its downfall past 7-8 or so.

E: If your girl is into dressage, hunter/jumper or rides an english saddle run far away. If she just wants a horse to ride on the trails once in a while your probably ok. Ours get ridden a half dozen times a year and expenses including all feed and vet bills run $100–250 a month depending on the season. Its not bad but make sure shes ok with you wasting that much money and time on a hobby of your own.

rdb fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 2, 2018

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I bought a house recently and my detached garage empties out into an alleyway behind my house. Between the garage and alleyway is grass and mud. I'm looking to dig out some of the dirt and drop in gravel, but there seems to be a buried cable line traveling parallel to the alleyway, between my garage and the paved alley drive. Who do I call to ask about moving this, the city? Is there a particular department that I would call or person to ask for? Or should I try cable companies? The cable is barely even buried, in fact it's exposed above the grass at a couple of places. I don't know why they buried a line traveling the entire length of my property going to my neighbors house, when they have a utility pole on their property already, which actually provides cable to the neighbor also!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Most cities have a “call before you dig” signage on poles and posts so you could check around and look for that.

For instance, WA/OR/MT/HI all use a common service it looks like: http://www.callbeforeyoudig.org

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think I can ever use a family member for house work ever again. My wife's uncle does very nice outdoor decks so we hired him to do our 2nd floor deck stairs. $5,950 which includes replacing a bunch of rotted wood rails and extending a portion of our first floor deck to match the geometry of the L-shaped stairs.

Originally he told us he would start last Tuesday and be done by Saturday. Perfect as we had a Sunday appliance delivery for upstairs. Tuesday comes and goes, texts us late he's starting Wednesday. Starts Wednesday for 4 hours with a team of 4, just does the cement landing for the L. Thursday, another 4 hours he pulls older boards and the railings. Haven't seen him since. Finally says he will be here tomorrow and will finish Sunday. However we are planning for 9 inches of snow Wednesday, so likely will become a 3 week project. I think one of his guys spent more time hitting on my wife than actually doing work

Also since the appliance guys had to use the inside steps, they ended up breaking my door knob, didn't notice until after I gave me a $200 tip (it was a lot of heavy stuff) :argh:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sepist posted:

I gave me a $200 tip

Get a refund.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
No man it was hard work supervising the appliance guys, I deserve that $200 tip

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I've been reading this thread for a while, since I recently bought my first house. I now have my first plumbing project. What is that series of books people always bring up here about electrical and plumbing work? Black & Decker? Alternately, recommendations on how-to plumbing books?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

extravadanza posted:

I bought a house recently and my detached garage empties out into an alleyway behind my house. Between the garage and alleyway is grass and mud. I'm looking to dig out some of the dirt and drop in gravel, but there seems to be a buried cable line traveling parallel to the alleyway, between my garage and the paved alley drive. Who do I call to ask about moving this, the city? Is there a particular department that I would call or person to ask for? Or should I try cable companies? The cable is barely even buried, in fact it's exposed above the grass at a couple of places. I don't know why they buried a line traveling the entire length of my property going to my neighbors house, when they have a utility pole on their property already, which actually provides cable to the neighbor also!

Is it a cable TV wire? Telephone? Any electric cable should be buried way deeper. Sometime in the winter they can't bury them until the dirt thaws. I would guess it is cable or ATT internet. They still won't bury it deep enough so just dig around it and push it into the alley so you have a big enough hole for your rocks. They will install it the right way eventually.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So with the last storm taking out power to a lot of my neighbors, I have realized that without power my sump pump will stop working and probably flood our basement. It seems my options are 1) Battery backup sump system. This doesn't seem like it will work because there is no room in the sump well for another pump. 2) Generator. This seems like a poor option because it doesn't do anything if we are away or sleeping and it's not already on when the power goes out. 3) A power inverter + battery. This seems like what I want, but it's like almost a grand when you include the battery price? 4) A bucket and constant vigilance. What I may actually end up with...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elysium posted:

2) Generator. This seems like a poor option because it doesn't do anything if we are away or sleeping and it's not already on when the power goes out.

You are looking for a "whole house generator." It turns on and off automatically as needed.

If this is not within your budget/doesn't seem like it will greatly improve your life in general you are stuck with battery backed sumps and a portable generator for when the batteries eventually run out. How fast this happens really depends on how wet your basement is, and how bad it is outside (usually pretty bad if the power is out).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elysium posted:

So with the last storm taking out power to a lot of my neighbors, I have realized that without power my sump pump will stop working and probably flood our basement. It seems my options are 2) Generator. This seems like a poor option because it doesn't do anything if we are away or sleeping and it's not already on when the power goes out.

How much water are you talking about that you cannot wait until morning to fire up your sump pump? If 12 hours down is going to sink you are there other drainage issues you should be attempting to mitigate?

You could rig a poor-mans alarm, but expect false positives. Buy a beater used UPS off craigslist. Plug it in in your bedroom. When the power goes out it will beep like your house is burning down. If you do further research you might be able to find one that has a delay on the beeping to prevent minor transient events from triggering the beeping. It will also complain when the battery needs replacing. On the plus side no more waking up to an uncharged cell phone if the power has been out all night!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have experience with geothermal heat pumps?

My wife and I are set to close next month on a house that has a gas furnace that is a few years past its life expectancy and no central AC. We're debating replacing the furnace with a geothermal heat pump since we need to replace it and are going to need central AC anyway, and we plan on being here for the next 10+ years so the cost savings might be worth it. Are they really as efficient/cheap to operate as they claim to be?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Most cities have a “call before you dig” signage on poles and posts so you could check around and look for that.

For instance, WA/OR/MT/HI all use a common service it looks like: http://www.callbeforeyoudig.org

I think 811 is the national number and they'll direct you appropriately.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Anyone have experience with geothermal heat pumps?

My wife and I are set to close next month on a house that has a gas furnace that is a few years past its life expectancy and no central AC. We're debating replacing the furnace with a geothermal heat pump since we need to replace it and are going to need central AC anyway, and we plan on being here for the next 10+ years so the cost savings might be worth it. Are they really as efficient/cheap to operate as they claim to be?

I suspect the answer is gonna be highly dependent on a bunch of variables, like, where do you live (what region of the world), is your house on a grade, what's your foundation design, how many square feet are you heating/cooling, what does energy cost in your area, etc. Then throw in probably a big range of costs depending on your local cost of labor, which brand of solution you go with, what options you pick, etc.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elysium posted:

So with the last storm taking out power to a lot of my neighbors, I have realized that without power my sump pump will stop working and probably flood our basement. It seems my options are 1) Battery backup sump system. This doesn't seem like it will work because there is no room in the sump well for another pump. 2) Generator. This seems like a poor option because it doesn't do anything if we are away or sleeping and it's not already on when the power goes out. 3) A power inverter + battery. This seems like what I want, but it's like almost a grand when you include the battery price? 4) A bucket and constant vigilance. What I may actually end up with...

If you are on public water they have backup pumps that run on water pressure. So when your main pump goes down, your backup pump kicks on, running off of the pressure in the public system. It's expensive as poo poo to run, it's like leaving a tap on full bore all the time. But it may be cheaper than a flooded basement and should basically never go down.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I suspect the answer is gonna be highly dependent on a bunch of variables, like, where do you live (what region of the world), is your house on a grade, what's your foundation design, how many square feet are you heating/cooling, what does energy cost in your area, etc. Then throw in probably a big range of costs depending on your local cost of labor, which brand of solution you go with, what options you pick, etc.

They work great but cost a lot more to install. With the low cost of natural gas they are probably not your best option right now, but the most expensive part is installing the part in the ground so you could conceivably cost that over 60 to 100 years and come out ahead. I went with a natural gas unit and no heat pump because my gas bill still never breaks $200 a month even with sub zero F temps and setting the furnace at 73. I expect this to be the case over the next 15 years. Fact of the matter is you will probably move before the geo pays you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elysium posted:

How big of a sump pump do you have? There's stuff like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-APS750-Inverter-Charger/dp/B0007PGAG6 ... even with a decent deep cycle battery I can't see that really being $1000