Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I've only ever been in motard airborne units and I've never heard of officer boards. Please keep that poo poo a secret wherever it spawned from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey mustang i found out that if you become an alcoholic mess they will quietly discharge you rather than fix you. you'll get a do nothing assistant to the assistant S3 job until you're gone. it's not an ideal flight path but it's an option.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFmw-JcEx3o

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just found out the APFT this drill got cancelled and we don't have room on the schedule for another two months.

And I realized how sad that sounds but gently caress APFT.

Even when I'm doing excellent with cardio, I get so loving paranoid I'm going to fall somehow, and treated like a dickhead.

God drat I can't wait to just be blazed instead of worried about run good.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Triggs posted:

I've only ever been in motard airborne units and I've never heard of officer boards. Please keep that poo poo a secret wherever it spawned from.

If it started anywhere it would've been 82nd

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd rather become a quietly productive stoner that's in great shape and has an awesome social life rather than an alcoholic mess but the Army only allows me to do one of these things.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic mess but there has definitely been too many nights after work where I was like "today loving sucked, I'm gonna have a few beers". Never enough to get drunk but definitely enough to get tipsy and dehydrated and feel like poo poo in the morning.

A bunch of us officers were talked to by our senior leadership about how something like half the BN doesn't trust their leadership during the last command climate survey and our roles in that metric. I wanted to be like "sir, probably half the officers here feel the same way as the dudes in that survey".

It's not even that the people are in charge are horrible people. But they are terrible to work for, they're like slave masters that don't realize it. Basically its "You will work until the work is done. Everything is a priority, we will not fail on anything."

Somehow they don't realize why all these LT's and junior CPTs see that the grass is greener on the other side. Which isn't very far when we live in the Seattle metro area and everyone has friends now out of the Army working in the area.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

Somehow they don't realize why all these LT's and junior CPTs see that the grass is greener on the other side.

it's because they still have people to fill the slots dude.

it's not like they are hurting for people. the people who stay in are the type of people you're complaining about.

there's a reason the army never changes.

you want things to get better? stay in and make things better.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
edit:

Yeah I mean what cole said :baby:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

It's not even that the people are in charge are horrible people.

From what you've said, it's likely that they are, in fact, horrible people.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

I'd rather become a quietly productive stoner that's in great shape and has an awesome social life rather than an alcoholic mess but the Army only allows me to do one of these things.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic mess but there has definitely been too many nights after work where I was like "today loving sucked, I'm gonna have a few beers". Never enough to get drunk but definitely enough to get tipsy and dehydrated and feel like poo poo in the morning.

A bunch of us officers were talked to by our senior leadership about how something like half the BN doesn't trust their leadership during the last command climate survey and our roles in that metric. I wanted to be like "sir, probably half the officers here feel the same way as the dudes in that survey".

It's not even that the people are in charge are horrible people. But they are terrible to work for, they're like slave masters that don't realize it. Basically its "You will work until the work is done. Everything is a priority, we will not fail on anything."

Somehow they don't realize why all these LT's and junior CPTs see that the grass is greener on the other side. Which isn't very far when we live in the Seattle metro area and everyone has friends now out of the Army working in the area.

Thank you habibi for being the play by play of what I'm in for.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Area of Echo does not gently caress around. I know many partly deaf gunbunnies and that's without standing in front of/flying over the drat thing.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Hey Mustang, you forgot to mention that we start red cycle taskings on Monday. Who cares if it's our recovery time? Gonna be awesome working weekends!

Five loving months, and I'll be on leave for three, and clearing for one. So loving close.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I can’t tell the difference anymore, every day it’s the same poo poo, getting pulled in every direction by multiple people all harassing you about how whatever it is they need is super important and needs to get done NOW

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

I can’t tell the difference anymore, every day it’s the same poo poo, getting pulled in every direction by multiple people all harassing you about how whatever it is they need is super important and needs to get done NOW

tell them to rumble you at the smoke pit if its so important

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know what you mean, today I got pulled away from my shitposting just to help make a fancy label for a DVD. That's 20 minutes I'll never get back, MAYBE LEARN TO USE DISC MAKER YOURSELF TOM, GOD

Work's tough, sometimes I don't even get out the door until 4:15

:v:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 28, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sir we're tired down here in the smoke pit too, so go find your own tree.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Oh sweet baby Jesus I saw the “Bct revamp” article on my fb feed again. Somebody please just... DO SOMETHING about TRADOC. They really think that “army values” are a thing past the first week in the army, and that people get “dissipline!!!” By reading pamphlets about 1812 war. Why is this army so retarded?

Surprise surprise, 2 drill sergeants per 40+ recruits for maybe 12 hours a day means training is a joke and time is wasted. Anyone who has any kind of knowledge about basics of teaching could point that out. But no, TRADOC remains convinced that having a extra blue book pt2 and extra drill and fuckery will instill ARMY VALUES to everyone.

Oh, and reading the comments on article makes on understand why some see genocide as a viable solution to any problem

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You know what sucks? Not being able to take your kid to ER because you don’t have insurance. And when you do have it, the stacking co-pays keep piling up. What else sucks? Wife’s long term medical issues are enough stress, but care and access to it are another. Worrying that if I get hurt tomorrow, what happens to my family and our family income? What if the owner has a bad day and randomly fires me? What if I notice a pay error, will someone help me or am I just screwed out of the pay forever? Oh look I’m in a new city and, it’ll be impossible for me to find someone to help me carry heavy stuff or help us move in. Oh no a natural disaster my family has no place to go to.

Oh wait. I actually never worry about these because I’m in the Army. I was a middle class white male with a white educated spouse living in the South and this is still better than that life, and I’d say I had a decent stable life in the past year or two leading up to this.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 28, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:allears:

VVV oh yeah that'll do it, living in Vicenza would rule

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 28, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Vahakyla posted:

You know what sucks? Not being able to take your kid to ER because you don’t have insurance. And when you do have it, the stacking co-pays keep piling up. What else sucks? Wife’s long term medical issues are enough stress, but care and access to it are another. Worrying that if I get hurt tomorrow, what happens to my family and our family income? What if the owner has a bad day and randomly fires me? What if I notice a pay error, will someone help me or am I just screwed out of the pay forever? Oh look I’m in a new city and, it’ll be impossible for me to find someone to help me carry heavy stuff or help us move in. Oh no a natural disaster my family has no place to go to.

Oh wait. I actually never worry about these because I’m in the Army. I was a middle class white male with a white educated spouse living in the South and this is still better than that life, and I’d say I had a decent stable life in the past year or two leading up to this.

Disclaimer: as long as you get stationed in unicorn unit at Italy, as far from the army as possible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
everything that works out in the army is an accident that is waiting to be corrected

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Four years out tomorrow. :toot:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vahakyla posted:

And if, God forbid, something should happen to you, your spouse will be treated by the Army with the utmost respect and care.

Dammit, almost held a straight face through that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Was legit expecting this to be an Amway pitch at the end.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

Was legit expecting this to be an Amway pitch at the end.

He doesn't know they stopped doing that "refer a friend to a recruiter for money" thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’ve posted this before, but an S3 I worked for said “the great thing about the army is if you hate your boss you’ll have a new one in two years or less. The bad thing is that the same applies to a good boss.”

Pretty accurate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

He doesn't know they stopped doing that "refer a friend to a recruiter for money" thing.

I saw COL's threatened with jail and having to pay back close to 6 figures for that program.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea the Army is one of those places where everyone starts out believing that the right boss, assignment, or duty location will be the thing that makes them happy, so they forget to figure out how to be happy in their present circumstances. Especially difficult when it takes several years to figure out that your job is to figure out your job and once you figure it out you get a new job.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Yea the Army is one of those places where everyone starts out believing that the right boss, assignment, or duty location will be the thing that makes them happy, so they forget to figure out how to be happy in their present circumstances. Especially difficult when it takes several years to figure out that your job is to figure out your job and once you figure it out you get a new job.

There was a time, in the long long ago, where you weren't expected to move/get promoted every few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4feuNaKTI

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The frustrating part is that there is usually either no rip or a very short one so there’s virtually no continuity so you’re always reinventing the wheel.

Or is the poo poo that’s inspected every year is only a concern prior to the inspection and then forgotten about or the person that made the fancy inspection passing continuity binder takes it with them when they PCS.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

There was a time, in the long long ago, where you weren't expected to move/get promoted every few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4feuNaKTI

Well yea, but that doesn’t exist anymore and won’t again barring massive changes to the fundamental concept underlying the army (building manpower).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
A dude here went AWOL this week after being arrested over the weekend. As his resignation letter, he flipped his barracks room and then smeared literal poo poo all over the place.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

A dude here went AWOL this week after being arrested over the weekend. As his resignation letter, he flipped his barracks room and then smeared literal poo poo all over the place.

This is an Army thread. The Marine thread is somewhere else.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I don't have anything to complain about. I'm back in the POW/MIA community and it's pretty drat awesome. Enrolled into the local community college for a few night classes this fall semester after my TDY this summer, having absolutely no clue what I'm doing with my 3 nephews, but got them all signed up for BJJ, Soccer, and poo poo to keep them active and not fat. Yeah, it's going to suck all the balls when I go back to the real army and get reamed in the rear end over and over again.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

Its amazing how quickly some people can become institutionalized.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Im going to go against the grain a little and say that there are some positive things about being in.

Like getting out and getting high af and laughing at young soldiers getting their souls crushed, for example.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Good parts of being in the Army:

The people you get to know.

Bad parts of being in the Army:

The people you get to know.
Everything else.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Command climate even worse than I thought.

Officers trying to get out are basically prevented as much as possible from transitioning out of the Army.

When job opportunities open up in other units you’re denied because “you’re just trying to leave the unit”

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

Command climate even worse than I thought.

Officers trying to get out are basically prevented as much as possible from transitioning out of the Army.

When job opportunities open up in other units you’re denied because “you’re just trying to leave the unit”

mods change my name posted:

Im going to go against the grain a little and say that there are some positive things about being in.

Like getting out and getting high af and laughing at young soldiers getting their souls crushed, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6h0kyqSRk