Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

namaste friends posted:

Like what??????????????!!!!!!!

Something to the effect of how the SA forums are a hotbed of alt-right activity and basically nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste friends posted:

Like what??????????????!!!!!!!

That they’re loving idiots who paid :10bux: for the privilege of shitposting

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The tl;dr of why a lot of the internet is a cesspool is that lax moderation, and a desire to remain neutral or open to the marketplace of ideas just allows awful poo poo to seep in.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, but this when known when they did the same thing the year before, sans warrants.

I complained then too!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste friends posted:

Wait until you discover this thing called orkut

Br br br br br br br br br br

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/prettybadlefty/status/969341599086936065?s=21

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And that transformation was only about 75% successful.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Hey now guys come on, Reddit did make "A very difficult decision", even if it did take forever and should never have been difficult at all.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ljkawa/status/969565757028921345?s=21

Lol get hosed Canada

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

INFINITE GROWTH

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, .3%

Better die.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

Candice Bergen had some dipshit comments

This is the correct way to preface anything Candice Bergen says.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Vintersorg posted:

drat, .3%

Better die.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-02/canada-s-economy-slowed-more-quickly-than-expected-in-2nd-half

quote:

Fading Consumers Make Canada's GDP Slowdown Worse Than Expected

Canada’s economy decelerated more than expected in the second half of last year, amid signs indebted households have begun slowing down spending.

The economy grew at an annualized pace of 1.7 percent in the fourth quarter, Statistics Canada reported Friday, versus economist expectations for 2 percent growth. Third-quarter gross domestic product growth was also revised down.

After leading the Group of Seven in growth last year, Friday’s numbers show a Canadian economy that has lost momentum, seemingly hampered by longstanding productivity issues and the growing potential of a hangover from the real estate boom. The U.S. economy recorded growth rates of 3.2 percent in the third quarter and 2.5 percent in the last three months of 2017. Canada hasn’t trailed the U.S. in growth to this extent since early 2015.

“While most forecasters expect the pace of growth to be slower in 2018, we still believe that there’s a growing risk of the economy stumbling badly,” said David Madani, senior Canada economist at Capital Economics, in a note to investors.

At Potential
And the data not only show the slowdown is underway, which was expected, but an economy that isn’t even growing above its so-called potential growth level.

That’s a surprise since most economists were expecting Canadian growth would continue to run slightly above its noninflationary speed limit for at least another year, leading to price pressures that would prompt the Bank of Canada to keep lifting interest rates.

“With trade uncertainties mounting and inflation still reasonably well behaved, this gives the Bank of Canada plenty of leeway to stay cautious,” Doug Porter, chief economist at Bank of Montreal, said in a note to investors. “We continue to expect the Bank to move to the sidelines until the second half of this year.”

The Canadian dollar is tied with the Mexican peso as the worst performing major currencies over the past month, and is one of the worst performing over the past six months. The dollar was little changed after the GDP report, after falling as low as 0.4 percent earlier in the day.

Housing
What may be worse is that fourth-quarter GDP figures were exaggerated by temporary factors in housing. Spending on residential structures surged in the last three months of 2017 to an annualized 13.4 percent, the strongest quarterly increase since 2012. The gain was led by stronger-than-expected new home construction, and as buyers rushed to get ahead of tighter mortgage qualification rules that came into effect Jan. 1.

The increase in residential spending was responsible for 1 percentage point of the 1.7 percent growth rate, Statistics Canada said. Residential investment had been a drag on growth the previous two quarters.

The second-half slowdown was driven in large part by household spending, with consumption growth in the fourth quarter at the slowest pace since 2016. That was due in part to a higher saving rate, which increased to 4.2 percent in the fourth quarter, from 4 percent in the third quarter.

Statistics Canada did revise up growth estimates for the first half of the year to 4.2 percent, from an initially reported 4 percent.

One positive was non-residential business investment accelerating in the fourth quarter, up 8.2 percent on an annualized basis. Combined with the stronger residential spending, that helped to keep domestic demand growth at a relatively strong 3.9 percent clip in the fourth quarter, unchanged from the third quarter.

While exports recovered at the end of the year after plunging in the third quarter, that still wasn’t enough to keep the trade sector from being a drag on growth as imports increased at more than twice the pace.

Vintersorg posted:

drat, .3%

Better die.

lmao idiot

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

hey guys its me, im the guy who thinks gdp matters

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hey guys its me, im the guy who thinks data doesn't matter and stephen harper was right to wreck the census and statscan in the name of privacy

we can just re-burn down the white house to stimulate prosperity

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste friends posted:

hey guys its me, im the guy who thinks data doesn't matter and stephen harper was right to wreck the census and statscan in the name of privacy

we can just re-burn down the white house to stimulate prosperity

This would work if we can export the steel to build the new Iron Throne

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The BC NDP are going to take down the entire economy with their hatred of housing equity and pipelines :supaburn::supaburn:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
good

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

AH yes Bloomberg totally has an eye for what's good for a nation and not only about making sure companies are pocketing big money .

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

The BC NDP are going to take down the entire economy with their hatred of housing equity and pipelines :supaburn::supaburn:

inshallah

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/mcmaster-freedom-of-expression-1.4559067

Wow this is complete loving bullshit. I don't know how whipped McMaster's student union is but they definitely shouldn't play along with this poo poo

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

Wow this is complete loving bullshit. I don't know how whipped McMaster's student union is but they definitely shouldn't play along with this poo poo

"Hey guys gals and theys, let's make it a guideline to deal with the guy saying you're trying to compel speech by not doing exactly that k?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dSjbBmHOOE&t=15m30s

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Arivia posted:

Wait so we should be able to disrupt any kind of disagreeable speech? Honestly if what he says is bad people should be allowed to hear it, evaluate it, realize its stupid and ignore. Just by silencing him it emboldens people to silence any disagreeable speech. Who decides what kind of speech is okay or not?

Free speech is okay only when its the right speech?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wait so we should be able to disrupt any kind of disagreeable speech? Honestly if what he says is bad people should be allowed to hear it, evaluate it, realize its stupid and ignore. Just by silencing him it emboldens people to silence any disagreeable speech. Who decides what kind of speech is okay or not?

Free speech is okay only when its the right speech?

Yes? Do you not know the word "protest"?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao this guy thinks we have american style free speech

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There is nothing wrong with no-platforming hate speech on a university campus in Canada. Anything short of that should be allowed, and if people want to use their newfound big-boy powers to stand up in public and announce they're closedminded morons then they can deal with the adults who run the place popping their monocles and telling them to go be lovely somewhere else.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 2, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does Peterson even do anything at his actual job anymore or does he just travel around making GBS threads up other universities other than U of T full time?

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
iirc he's on an indefinite sabbatical and tbh would not be welcomed back to UofT with open arms if he decides to return. explains why he's doubled down on his shtick as of late

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste friends posted:

lmao this guy thinks we have american style free speech

crown v. keegstra NEVER HAPPENED IT'S A LIE

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Arivia posted:

Yes? Do you not know the word "protest"?

I mean I think its just deplorable to basically no platform any kind of speech (excepting hate speech which we have laws against). I know we have Canadian free speech laws, which has more limitations and can even be ignored if the government says so.

But I don't think Jordan Peterson has ever crossed the line on the Canadian Limits, so I just stenuously disagree that we should be able to no platform any speech we find moderately objectionable. I just think of the ridiculousness of it sometimes like the Trigglypuff meme of hate speech which is just plain stupid.

If what he says is wrong and bad people should hear it, evaluate it and reaslise its stupid then ignore. I've long tuned out of what he says I just get incensed when people decide that he is wrong and he is so wrong and that we are so right that no one else should be able to hear him.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol shut up

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol if you think i read any of that CI

Chillyrabbit posted:

I mean I think its just deplorable to basically no platform any kind of speech (excepting hate speech which we have laws against). I know we have Canadian free speech laws, which has more limitations and can even be ignored if the government says so.

But I don't think Jordan Peterson has ever crossed the line on the Canadian Limits, so I just stenuously disagree that we should be able to no platform any speech we find moderately objectionable. I just think of the ridiculousness of it sometimes like the Trigglypuff meme of hate speech which is just plain stupid.

If what he says is wrong and bad people should hear it, evaluate it and reaslise its stupid then ignore. I've long tuned out of what he says I just get incensed when people decide that he is wrong and he is so wrong and that we are so right that no one else should be able to hear him.

Shut the gently caress up. You do not give a platform to these types of people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt once. Peterson openly defended transphobic hate speech to the Senate and said that making it illegal would be the downfall of Canada. He is literally that loving bad, yo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A man who believes in biotruths should be listened too and given a chance because he has a PhD.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Arivia posted:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt once. Peterson openly defended transphobic hate speech to the Senate and said that making it illegal would be the downfall of Canada. He is literally that loving bad, yo.

Hey, I just listened to his first speech decided it was stupid and bowed out of the discussion about pronouns and poo poo. Can you give me a link to his transphobic hate speech? If he is advocating harassment and hatred towards a protected group (which isn't covered under our free speech) then he shouldn't be allowed to promote those ideas.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Do you have a link? I really don't want to google his name along with transphobia.

I thought his position was that you should call people by their preferred pronouns but that it shouldn't be illegal if you don't. What you've outlined is way worse.

edit: what a stupid point to be beaten on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIAAkSNtqo

Here y'all go, it's his own video so it may even be edited to make him look good. ENJOY

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

Hey, I just listened to his first speech decided it was stupid and bowed out of the discussion about pronouns and poo poo. Can you give me a link to his transphobic hate speech? If he is advocating harassment and hatred towards a protected group (which isn't covered under our free speech) then he shouldn't be allowed to promote those ideas.

Go loving google it yourself, do some research before defending a piece of poo poo like Peterson

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Peterson was allotted one hour of the two-hour Senate committee to speak. The psychology professor and his lawyer, Bruce Pardy, made preposterous claims about how C-16 could potentially land them in jail for not using a trans person’s chosen pronouns. Peterson’s outlandish statements, such as how trans people’s gender is subjective and that science has not yet proven that trans is even a thing, had my eyes rolling .

He claimed that activists use trans children as propaganda tools, even suggesting the gender unicorn is a tool used by trans adults to twist the minds of children into thinking they are trans. It was even argued that, since trans people made up only .3 per cent of the general population in Canada, that special provisions were absurd. Even if we are only .3 per cent of the population, we should still matter and be treated fairly as humans.

Peterson and Pardy are both extremely concerned about being legally “compelled” into using pronouns they don’t respect, even suggesting jail was a possible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was a lot more enamoured with free speech before the idiot Yankees elected Donald loving Trump. Now I'm pretty sure it's a big mistake, and we shouldn't let these hateful cretins speak.