Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yinlock posted:

that's...the forbidden stone, it only surfaces once every 5000 years when powerful warriors are curling with their souls on the line

"That's Kagekage the Junior High World number one curler!"

"It's time for that technique now that you've pushed me this far protagonist-kun. Unlimited brushworks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

"That's Kagekage the Junior High World number one curler!"

"It's time for that technique now that you've pushed me this far protagonist-kun. Unlimited brushworks"

oh man how did i forget about my fav. sports manga thing

by the laws of sports manga

1) all bystanders must be inexplicably excited about high school sports, to the point of
2) giving good players idiotic nicknames

"they call him the God Hand, he has never needed a sweeper in his entire illustrious 3 month career"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yinlock posted:

oh man how did i forget about my fav. sports manga thing

by the laws of sports manga

1) all bystanders must be inexplicably excited about high school sports, to the point of
2) giving good players idiotic nicknames

"they call him the God Hand, he has never needed a sweeper in his entire illustrious 3 month career"

Don't forget to choose the main character's flavor- Insanely single-minded or completely loving ignorant.

"Kaaru-san, the way you swept the floor just now was unreal!"

"Isn't this... normal?"

"No way! Your technique, it was just like the way they brush in that sport!"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I love this chapter. Great Fumino faces, nice humor and pastries.

It's so easy to forget that she has a thing for Nariyuki as well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Don't forget to choose the main character's flavor- Insanely single-minded or completely loving ignorant.

"Isn't this... normal?"

Also weird fixations on the source of people's talent

Vs. Canada:
"So this is the precision and ruthlessness of the white man..."

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
"...! All those years of getting stuck with sweeping the classroom when he really just wanted to go home and play video games, It taught him the skills needed to be a professional stone sweeper!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i remember reading some of project arms years ago but it wasn't completed i don't think and i don't remember any of it so i decided to read it again

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/tyleroakley/status/967557754947645441

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Protagonist-kun no Japanese has ever conquered Za Gureito Narsu"

"Ryukage's team didn't show up! He'll have to forfeit!

No it can't be he's sweeping his own throw! This is too dangerous!

He's transcending his limits c c could it be the legendary Runaway Polar Express"

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 26, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What about a sports manga based on the noble sport of dog football?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about a sports manga based on the noble sport of dog football?

Is that football played by dogs or football played using dogs as the ball?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
By the way, since we're on sports manga, surprisingly I'm enjoying Robot x Laserbeam so far. The actual golfing parts are boring, but the characters, what they do, and how they interact, are supremely fun.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

By the way, since we're on sports manga, surprisingly I'm enjoying Robot x Laserbeam so far. The actual golfing parts are boring, but the characters, what they do, and how they interact, are supremely fun.

If the majority of this forum didn't drop it after"Bigfoot", there's no way they're still reading it after what happened this latest chapter.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I just think it's pretty boring. I usually skim over it while reading the chapters. What's so bad about the latest chapter?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JosephWongKS posted:

Is that football played by dogs or football played using dogs as the ball?

The former and I'm gonna be honest I just want a manga that's just an excuse for the author to draw good dogs every week.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mulderman posted:

I just think it's pretty boring. I usually skim over it while reading the chapters. What's so bad about the latest chapter?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"Isn't this... normal?"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also weird fixations on the source of people's talent

Vs. Canada:
"So this is the precision and ruthlessness of the white man..."

part of why I love Baby Steps is it avoids almost all of these(except for people being inexplicably excited about high-school sports but you kind of need that so)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one thing I appreciate about hinomaru zumou is that it presents the general population as not giving a single gently caress about sumo wrestling. the people that are into it obviously care but it doesn't go beyond that circle and the cast has to go out of their way to bring people that either don't care or think it looks stupid into the sport

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

...I don't see a problem with this? That's clearly a male pervert who crossdressed to try and get into the women's bath, and he's getting chased off as a result.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the hypothetical situation of men crossdressing to peek on women is the driving force between anti-trans bathroom legislation in america. so basically it reads as a trans panic joke.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for explaining, now I see the problem, even though I'm convinced it wasn't intentional on the author's part.

It's weird though, even though I'm trans myself I didn't see it as problematic. Probably because I don't live in America and trans bathroom stuff isn't A Thing here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Robo’s author seems to be wired to another universe at the best of times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cross Account, Full Drive, and Golem Hearts ended of course.

Saiki just ended (it's going to kind of a spinoff in a different mag), Spring Weapon No.1 is now ending (its survival was baffling).

So far the only two new series we got are Bozebeats and Act-Age. I think we got some new series starting this week or the next? Or are they just one-shots?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Cross Account, Full Drive, and Golem Hearts ended of course.

Saiki just ended (it's going to kind of a spinoff in a different mag), Spring Weapon No.1 is now ending (its survival was baffling).

So far the only two new series we got are Bozebeats and Act-Age. I think we got some new series starting this week or the next? Or are they just one-shots?

I'm surprised Cross Account lasted as long as it did, honestly. Though I'm bitterly glad it's ending cause I kinda wanted to read it but didn't want to put the effort into finding raws/scans.

Spring Weapon ending is a shame though, I don't know how good it was in the end but I really liked the first 3 chapters and was happy every time I picked up a new Jump issue and saw that it was still keeping on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did saiki end or was it ended?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I accidentally posted it in the romance thread, but might as well repost here!

New We Never Learn! Wherein a kiss occurs!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/53/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fukken love me some Yaiba. :discourse:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the crude sketch faces

also blondie needs to gtfo so tanjirou can take his rightful place as love pillar

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new Jump Start Jujutsu Kaisen is in the newest Viz WSJ release.

Premise:
A tiny occult scooby-doo club at a high school has a couple nerds and a super-strong kinda dumb jock dude in it. Turns out the occult is real and this world's particular flavor is focused on "Cursed Objects and Places" which is pretty traditional Japanese occult stuff- bad enough things happen to people or places and they become cursed, some curses can repel other curses, some become really bad (see: Grudge, Dark Water) eventually and need exorcised. Scoob and the gang find a legit and very nasty piece of a cursed item, the "mysterious high schooler who is already an expert" deuteragonist shows up to exorcise it, things go pear-shaped and the dumb jock dude ends up eating the item to gain enough strength to fight the monsters it summoned.

Really it kinda reminds me of the setup of Ibitsu no Amalgam but less edgy and more actual spiritual occult stuff rather than the scientific/divergent evolution form of the occult Ibitsu went for (i.e. the fabled flesh-eating Japanese Mermaid in Ibitsu is literally a genetic aberration that birthed the other classic Japanese occult monster archetypes, whereas Jujutsu Kaisen's occult stuff is legit ghosts and spirits)

Character designs are...kinda forgettable really. Art is okay but doesn't particularly stand out. It gets a gigantic "meh" from me and needs to get very distinct and weird ASAP if it wants to survive- and going full edgy was proven a failure with Ibitsu no Amalgam.

Noah's Notes and Ziga are next to show up. Noah's Notes I have no idea about, Ziga apparently involves kaiju.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's a really awkward pose in the jujutsu promo image

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Jujutsu has a fairly good premise but boring execution. It felt like less interesting and less cool early Bleach.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There'S all these stupid "guy gets summoned to fantasy world series" and a frightening amount of them have slavery. Is there one where they summon an anarcho-communist kid by mistake and instead of feeding their forever-war against the demons he kickstarts a revolution?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there an Isekai series where instead of a swords and sorcery world the protagonist gets summoned to a futuristic world?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there an Isekai series where instead of a swords and sorcery world the protagonist gets summoned to a futuristic world?

the yamcha one :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's (kind-of) the Masou Kishin series of video games.

Is there one where a character from a fantasy world is summoned to our own? That isn't a low-budget american movie from the 80s?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Good news, friend. Last Action Hero is a high-budget american movie from the 90s, so it fits perfectly

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there one where a character from a fantasy world is summoned to our own? That isn't a low-budget american movie from the 80s?

Beastmaster 2 (1991).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

There'S all these stupid "guy gets summoned to fantasy world series" and a frightening amount of them have slavery. Is there one where they summon an anarcho-communist kid by mistake and instead of feeding their forever-war against the demons he kickstarts a revolution?

that's what the vintage english fantasy series guardians of the flame is about, or at least it is after the first book. i don't know if it still holds up, but i liked it when i was a teenager.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's what the vintage english fantasy series guardians of the flame is about, or at least it is after the first book. i don't know if it still holds up, but i liked it when i was a teenager.

Sounds cool, added to my ever-growing list of things to check out one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's (kind-of) the Masou Kishin series of video games.

Wouldn't something like Devil is a part timer fall into that category?