Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Louie Zong's animations are so good (and the show he works on, We Bare Bears, is delightful). I love the way he draws Travis.

I am so loving hype about Dust. I actually haven't listened to the main ep yet, just did the setup ep, but I love that right away the boys were all finding ways to link their characters with debts and collaborate on their stories, and Travis's monologue was a genuinely cool little bit. "Solve a murder before dawn" is such a good quest hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I also have not listened to the new episode but I like that Travis hasn’t set it up to feel like there’s one Big Story like Griffin’s stuff. Not that having an epic story is a bad thing, I just like that it seems distinct from what’s come before.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And he loving sets the pace; actions take time, and you don't have all day. I'm genuinely impressed so far.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I like that the consequences for goofs that some people worried about led to one of the funniest parts of the episode with the bartender.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'd say that it takes a little bit for things to really get going--the Sheriff's office scene feels a little wooden because Travis has a lot that he has to explain about the setting and setup, and I wouldn't say Michael is exactly my favorite character concept, but as you get into Gandy's reactions there it really improves, and by the time we've rolled around to Uncle Oni and the bar it's fantastic.

If only we could find a way to transplant Griffin's vocal range onto Travis.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This episode of TAZ was good and made me excited to listen to TAZ again

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Travis...good?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

If only we could find a way to transplant Griffin's vocal range onto Travis.

Ah yes, Griffin's vocal range of the 3 voices he does

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Travis has always been good, as I keep reminding everyone.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

remember when Justin said this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGAwTviSYc&t=165s

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

eight dollars is enough for a fighting game dlc character, you betcha

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

apatheticman posted:

Travis...good?

As with all things, Thank Travis for Travis.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Seems like a step down from Amnesty, but more solid than Conviction.

Augustus is fantastic.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Doppelganger posted:

Well episode 1 is up and he got an audible laugh out of me on his very first line, so it's looking good.

That was so loving great

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Oni is a really cool/creepy idea for a character, Bunraku puppets are just lovely:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/yuAJ45P.png[[/IMG]

I also really liked the way Gandy Dancer reacted to Michael, being afraid of death is extra hard when death is a guy you have to interact with on the job.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I also really liked the way Gandy Dancer reacted to Michael, being afraid of death is extra hard when death is a guy you have to interact with on the job.

For some reason I really love it when characters have initial reactions and opinions to things that a) are different than how the player may actually feel, and b) are largely inconsequential to the progression of the story. Gandy’s throwing up in the corner was great, and back in Balance I loved Taako just loving eating up the Lich twin’s fashion routine in Suffering Game. There was also Griffin’s character in TAZ: Nights who would groove and dance along anytime Clint’s character, a bard, would start singing and playing his instrument. It just adds so much characterization and proves that the player is framing every action as “how would my character feel about this?”

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Also I loved Clint coming up with a previously-occurring adventure titled Gandy Dancer and Uncle Oni in the Pits of Despair. It was an off-the-cuff goof but it actually did work for me in making these characters feel like they've been around for a bit already. The way Uncle Oni works is super cool and unique, and I like that he offered to just give Gandy the solution in exchange for her soul. The corruption mechanic is gonna do some interesting stuff in this one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Liking this a hell of a lot more than Amnesty. Amnesty was already as on-rails as end-game Balance at about minute 10. Also, I didn't give one single poo poo about Aubrey, and so seeing Travis be a good game-runner and not an annoying character is pretty great!

While I still don't think they'll be doing an "anything could happen" show any time soon, this feels much more choose your own adventure or video game-style RPG than it does Griffin's Railroaded Adventure Story Time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Pretty interesting that the game in which Travis has the least to do with the decision making and the least incentive to make jokes is so far the most popular experimental arc. Hmmm.

I also really enjoyed it, and I think Trav is a pretty good GM at this point. Justin's "That's evocative as gently caress!" was incredibly correct, and I hope he manages to keep it up.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good job, Travis. Keep it up.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I look forward to Travis starting the second season of TAZ as GM only to hand over the reins to some millennial comedy/drama lady he almost certainly met in LA and just smash the button for the ejection seat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpacePig posted:

Pretty interesting that the game in which Travis has the least to do with the decision making and the least incentive to make jokes is so far the most popular experimental arc. Hmmm.

I also really enjoyed it, and I think Trav is a pretty good GM at this point. Justin's "That's evocative as gently caress!" was incredibly correct, and I hope he manages to keep it up.

yeah, being a GM has nothing to do with the decision making at all

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m glad Griffin is still doing the music for the arcs. Dude has some talent.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Honestly I'm not feeling the Dust theme as much as Amnesty. It sounds like background music, there's no melody.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking the other day that the Amnesty theme would have worked a lot better for Dust. Seems to fit the Old West vibe more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah that first episode was good. The time constraint is a good idea but it fortunately doesn't seem too harsh yet.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/hOVlkI-9K4Y

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Honestly I'm not feeling the Dust theme as much as Amnesty. It sounds like background music, there's no melody.

Reminds me of Westworld

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Reminds me of Westworld

Yeah I listened to it again and thought the same thing. It's a good piece of music, but doesn't grab me as a main theme.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

While I am looking forward to the next episode of Dust, enjoyed the episode and the PCs, and was impressed with Travis's improvement in DMing since TAZ: Knights, I have to say that I still want Amnesty to be the long term game. I think I am just more interested in those PCs and that setting.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Cooper's Story ep of Sawbones is up. My god the McElroy's have big babies.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Big Boy Season.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

On the recent subject of Justin saying hosed up things, you could practically hear Griffin's monocle fall off when he joked about Cooper being the backup baby in case something happens to the first one.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Justin's dark humor game is on point

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

If Amnesty becomes the next long arc I’m dipping out. I’m solidly in camp Dust - the players’ characters are all interesting and the setting and mechanics rule so far. Plus that line about whiskey in a barrel totally convinced me of Travis’ exposition capabilities.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

yeah we're one episode in, but i'm solidly on the dust train. I can't be dealing with another two years of griffin monologues.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

If Amnesty becomes the next long arc I’m dipping out. I’m solidly in camp Dust - the players’ characters are all interesting and the setting and mechanics rule so far. Plus that line about whiskey in a barrel totally convinced me of Travis’ exposition capabilities.

Came to post this and I only just hit the midpoint break in the first Dust episode. I got a good lol out of "Maybe it's one of them nude werewolves…" . It feels like Classic TAZ and I'm enjoying the goofs but also the setting and structure. I sort of feel bad about Amnesty because I love the setting and story and I'd read the hell out of it if it was a book/graphic novel or even if it was explicitly a radio play, but that's not what I want in my TAZ.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

dust is amazing

justin just keeps hitting dingers

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

redcheval posted:

Came to post this and I only just hit the midpoint break in the first Dust episode. I got a good lol out of "Maybe it's one of them nude werewolves…" . It feels like Classic TAZ and I'm enjoying the goofs but also the setting and structure. I sort of feel bad about Amnesty because I love the setting and story and I'd read the hell out of it if it was a book/graphic novel or even if it was explicitly a radio play, but that's not what I want in my TAZ.

:yossame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah I listened to it again and thought the same thing. It's a good piece of music, but doesn't grab me as a main theme.
I didn't really notice it until the end of this one, and I think that's why I like it so much. It's a spectacular "last ten seconds before cliffhanger, then credits" piece.

I do like Amnesty's theme better. I'm guilty of playing it on my phone when I'm walking alone at night so I can feel like I have my own cool theme music.