Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Im only on book 2 so im nof actually reading this thread but loving lol@:

"Er.. well, you'll have to get a bit closer I reckon. I mean, i hope my cock aint that disaplointing but it wont reach you over there"

There was another equally laugh out loud worthy line a few chapters back that i forgot. This series owns so far, great recommendation. Anyway back to not reading this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Ah haha ha Joe linked this on his twitter:

What happens when a predictive-text algorithm tries to write a cross between @LordGrimdark's First Law and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time?

https://thefantasyinn.wordpress.com/2018/02/08/jordan-vs-abercrombie/

Solid gold

"Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say that bitch has always been lucky."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spandexcajun posted:

Ah haha ha Joe linked this on his twitter:

What happens when a predictive-text algorithm tries to write a cross between @LordGrimdark's First Law and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time?

https://thefantasyinn.wordpress.com/2018/02/08/jordan-vs-abercrombie/

Solid gold

"Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say that bitch has always been lucky."

I love the predictive text stuff. It’s such a cheap laugh, yeah, but 9 times out of 10 I will totally lose it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of, is there a RJ or WoT thread somewhere? I checked like 5 pages and saw nothing obvious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Speaking of, is there a RJ or WoT thread somewhere? I checked like 5 pages and saw nothing obvious.

If there is, I think the Sanderson thread could probably point you in the right direction.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Never has a forums community lost interest in a series faster than the wheel of time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m on book 5 and I completely understand why. Good overall story but goddamn is there a shitload of filler word vomit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I legitimately cannot imagine what it would be like to get into Wheel of Time at this point. I read the first book when the first half of it was a free promotional giveaway* at Barnes and Noble for the release of book three, which was supposed to have been the last book. To imagine someone reading to that point, knowing that there are still eleven loving books to go, is mind-boggling, and I'm a dumb dork that loves WoT.

*Seriously, this happened. The 90's were weird.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Totally agree I abandoned it in the 90's when I was in love with trope fantasy, Just how much filler do you need to add to make something happen?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
WOT chat, I quit in the late 90's I think around when book 7 or 8 came out, "Path of daggers" or something. Somewhere in the 7 or 8 books was 3 good books of story, but man I just could not do that again. Like, advance the plot already.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
said it before, will say it again, i would pay money if an author sat down to take a hatchet to the wot books and condense them/make changes here and there as necessary (including replacing the 'swearing' with real profanity), and i read very little fantasy (and especially epic fantasy) nowadays

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Light, burn you!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neurosis posted:

said it before, will say it again, i would pay money if an author sat down to take a hatchet to the wot books and condense them/make changes here and there as necessary (including replacing the 'swearing' with real profanity), and i read very little fantasy (and especially epic fantasy) nowadays

Did the ones Sanderson wrote to finish the series do better in terms of pacing? He’s got his flaws but he’s pretty great with pacing and managing detail.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did the ones Sanderson wrote to finish the series do better in terms of pacing? He’s got his flaws but he’s pretty great with pacing and managing detail.

The pace definitely picked up, yeah, though to be fair I think Jordan's last book showed more urgency than the rest of his back half too. That said, I don't know if I'd just grown out of caring by the time the last book came out or what, but I thought the last battle was kind of a slog.

I do think Jordan may have deliberately slowed things down at points to milk the series, but I also think the series just got away from him as he kept adding more and more plotlines and side characters he felt the need to keep checking in on. His decision to make just about everyone in the world more interested in their short-term ambitions than actually preventing the end of the world gave everyone plenty to worry about which didn't require main plot advancement.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Look who is actually writing books:

https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2018/02/27/progress-report-february-18/#comments

2 down (drafts) and working on the 3rd... I like when authors of fantasy series I enjoy write books, guess I should give Sanderson a try as well.

I think this is the first mention of a title for the first book of the new trilogy "A Little Hatred" I dig it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I got maybe a third of the way into book 6 of Wot before I was 'I don't remember who half these characters are, and half of these plot threads and I no longer care about either'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No more First Law books until 2017 then. Pack it in it's gonna be a long thread.
Quoting myself from 2013....welp.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Er, Sharp Ends was out in 2016.

Also the Shattered Sea series was practically more First Law stuff, and nearly as good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Er, Sharp Ends was out in 2016.

Also the Shattered Sea series was practically more First Law stuff, and nearly as good.
I didn't love sharp ends honestly - it definitely didn't hit the same notes for me. But yeah, it counts.

I didn't read shattered seas.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ditto, to be honest. Feel like the short story form doesn't work super well with his style.

Should definitely give Shattered Sea a try. First part is the only one that reads anything like YA. (In that there's a bit less swearing and blood than in his other books)

edit: I also think Half A King is much better at getting the point of Best Served Cold across, but apparently I'm the only one who thinks BSC is Abercrombie's only truly bad book.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Joe says maybe 2019 summer for his new trilogy. Man its been a while since I read any Abercombie.

Is Red October worth reading? I am not interested in short stories or the ya stuff atleast for now. From the standalones. I loved The Heroes, imo one of Abercombie's best works. Best Served Cold started off with promise but dragged on a bit and all the twists at the end where on par for an Abercombie book especially the bittersweet ending. Still I liked it since I love Count of Montecristo type revenge stories but not as much of his other works.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You mean Red Country? (lol)

It's pretty different and probably my least favorite of the standalones but I still enjoyed it a bunch. It's a western the same way BSC was a revenge story and Heroes a war story.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ulio posted:

Joe says maybe 2019 summer for his new trilogy. Man its been a while since I read any Abercombie.

Is Red October worth reading? I am not interested in short stories or the ya stuff atleast for now. From the standalones. I loved The Heroes, imo one of Abercombie's best works. Best Served Cold started off with promise but dragged on a bit and all the twists at the end where on par for an Abercombie book especially the bittersweet ending. Still I liked it since I love Count of Montecristo type revenge stories but not as much of his other works.

Not Abercrombie but check out Jesse Bullington's The Enterprise of Death. Pretty grimdark poo poo about a moor being made a slave to a horrible necromancer, but when she kills him he curses her to take over her body, unless she finds some book.

It's a quasi revenge story and it's loving disgusting.

You might like it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It's good. Has little glimmers of humour like Abercrombie too. The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart is by far Bullington's best, though - a black comedy picaresque about two graverobbers in post Black Death Europe.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

I didn't love sharp ends honestly

I feel like Sharp Ends biggest problem was that it was a collection of short stories. Many of the stories on their own were fine. All together, though, everything seemed way over the top, especially the Shev/Javre stories.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think his narratives work better with twists and turns and the like - short stories aren't a very good medium for him I don't think.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh I can see WOTs flaws but I still think it's the best fantasy out there. Brandon can't write banter or really characters but he did finish the books in a good way. Im saying most fantasy writers range from crap to good and even the good ones have real flaws. Abercrombie is among the best though. Huh maybe his flaw is that his fantasy is just too dark for me to really really enjoy.

It was hell waiting years between those eleven books but i always took two days off and just locked myself inside reading when they came out.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Some things from that blog post:

some dude posted:

Sony studios in Culver city is storyboarding The Blade Itself for a tv show/movie. Can you make any comment? Maybe just a nod of the head? 🙂

Joe Abercrombie posted:

If I could make a comment I probably would’ve. But I can tell you from the photos that it’s not sony studios, and it’s not storyboards, and it’s not a movie…

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

quote:

If I could make a comment I probably would’ve. But I can tell you from the photos that it’s not sony studios, and it’s not storyboards, and it’s not a movie…

Patrick Stewart would be perfect for the role of Bayaz. He could play the character well, but on a meta level he'd also instantly establish the right expectations in viewers' heads.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mel Gibson as Black Dow. Because he’s loving crazy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you're going to insist on mostly Englishmen howzabout Jason Statham as Logen? Hell, you could just reuse a lot of the footage from Crank.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just hope it's a HBO / AMC caliber show and not a SYFI / History channel level... but I doubt it.

IDK, Vikings was ok for a few seasons, maybe it could work.

If we are in fantasy casting mode, Jeff Bridges would be the best Bayaz ever.

Logan is a hard one for me, I always picture him as older then he is supposed to be in the books.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
As long as Logen's face looks like he lost a fight with a wood chipper, I think there can be some leeway on the actor's age.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

If we are in fantasy casting mode, Jeff Bridges would be the best Bayaz ever.

this is exactly what i thought as well. make him look like he did in iron man but obviously in period appropriate clothing and maybe a bit fleshy to give that village butcher look.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I always pictured Logan as an extremely weathered Liam Neeson.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

RCarr posted:

I always pictured Logan as an extremely weathered Liam Neeson.

Except he's supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s, iirc

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Xenix posted:

Except he's supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s, iirc

Yeah well I'm not saying I'm correct. Just that is kinda always what popped into my head when reading the books.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I always saw him as daddy Nier

Then when I found out he was younger I picture him as Andrew WK but burly

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
well it seems pretty unlikely HBO is looking for another fantasy series. fingers crossed it's showtime, netflix, or amazon so they can throw some real money at it

though if it was HBO i could die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Suxpool posted:

well it seems pretty unlikely HBO is looking for another fantasy series. fingers crossed it's showtime, netflix, or amazon so they can throw some real money at it

though if it was HBO i could die happy

Why wouldn’t they be looking? GOT us wrapping up real soon.

E:Hahaha, I just checked and it looks likely that the entire GOT tv series will have run in the time GRRM takes to write one book. That’s amazing.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 5, 2018