Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Huawei's new Matebook X Pro (shown at MWC) will have a 3000x2000 14" screen, 8th gen u proc, and optional MX150 AND TB3 for external GPU havers, AND USB-C charging.

Huh.

It's actually a pretty sweet looking ultrabook, but I sort of wished they had kept the 13" screen size from the previous iteration.

How are the security concerns with the company? It’s basically the perfect writers laptop, when Scrivener 3.0 finally comes to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

Apollo Lake, the newest iteration of Atom, is fairly respectable for basic productivity work. Battery life should be great since this is a 6W model and the price is hard to beat.

e: This one costs a lot more but still well under $600, is convertible and has a 1080p screen with the quad-core variant of Apollo Lake which will be closer to a typical laptop CPU in performance.

Thanks for the suggestions. 11.6" is too small for my tastes, though. It's gonna be used to type up notes and lengthy documents in places where I can't take an external keyboard, and my experience with small keyboards is that I just end up cramping up halfway through.

Edit: found a refurbished Acer Spin 5 for $450 with these specs. Any opinions and/or mockery welcome.

quote:

Hard Drive: 256 GB
SSDSolid State Drive: 256 GB
Processor Type: Core i5
Processor Model: i5-7200U
Processor Speed: 2.50 GHz
Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Processor Core: Dual-Core
Operating System: Windows 10
Screen Size: 13.3"
Display Technology: In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology
Product Model: SP513-51-53FC
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
Ram: 8 GB

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 27, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

anothergod posted:

You guys maintaining your poise and humour in response to that post is *inspiring*.

Real content though: how good is the MX150? I always hear comparisons to the 940m, but like, that's not favorable to be in comparison to the 940. I saw Dave2D tout a laptop with one as a gaming laptop, so..

There's a bunch of videos on this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-uSIbXEs0

if you want the actual comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPznehsvi4
Starts about a minute in, after whatever the hell Half Life 1 mod that is. The video quality is pretty garbo but you get the idea, so long as you're willing to turn down res or settings and you manage your expectations you can get a good experience

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

baka kaba posted:

if you want the actual comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPznehsvi4
Starts about a minute in, after whatever the hell Half Life 1 mod that is. The video quality is pretty garbo but you get the idea, so long as you're willing to turn down res or settings and you manage your expectations you can get a good experience

Use case:

I'm going to GDC to show off my indie game. I run it on my i5-6440HQ's HD530 iGPU at low res and it looks pixelated and fine. I also run it on an 8(?) Year old HD6950 at 1080p and it looks like some sort of uprezzed SNES Zelda game. I guess what I'm asking is how does the MX150 compare w a relatively high end GPU from 8 years ago?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anothergod posted:

Use case:

I'm going to GDC to show off my indie game. I run it on my i5-6440HQ's HD530 iGPU at low res and it looks pixelated and fine. I also run it on an 8(?) Year old HD6950 at 1080p and it looks like some sort of uprezzed SNES Zelda game. I guess what I'm asking is how does the MX150 compare w a relatively high end GPU from 8 years ago?

I don't really understand what you want to know that those videos aren't telling you. Obviously, it'll be better than an 8 year old gpu or a skylake igpu. You should find benchmarks that use similar engines to the one you're building with, or you could get a cheap desktop gtx1030 to test with and then return it if you want, they're basically the same gpu.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The x280 is on Lenovo's site, but it's listed about $900 higher than it ought to be. My guess is that they're trying to sell off x270 stock first. That's ok, iI have a new digital Marine radio to buy in-between now and then.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm on the market for a gaming laptop (which will also perform photo-processing duties). I have an MSI PE60 that had a hard disk problem after 11 months (which I only got fixed last month because the local servicing was kind of dire).

Budget: $1600 (could stretch to $1650)
Must-haves:
SSD (my current laptop doesn't have one because I skimped, much to my regret)
GTX 1050Ti (I'm wondering if I could stretch it to 1060 on that budget)

As for size, I'd like to keep it reasonable? 16 inch tops maybe.

The prime gaming laptop brands here in the Philippines are Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP, and MSI (which I'd rather not get back to because they have lovely drivers and bloatware). I'm leaning towards Asus, but could try Acer or Lenovo if they're good.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't really understand what you want to know that those videos aren't telling you. Obviously, it'll be better than an 8 year old gpu or a skylake igpu. You should find benchmarks that use similar engines to the one you're building with, or you could get a cheap desktop gtx1030 to test with and then return it if you want, they're basically the same gpu.

The two old desktop GPUs I have available to me are the AMD HD5850 and the HD6950, and at least GPUBoss and technical.city are saying the MX150 is underpowered compared to these old GPUs. I'm sure there are better ways to benchmark this graphics card, though?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm considering a laptop that is available with either an i5-8250u or an i7-8550u.

The extra performance might be worth it (I might be using the laptop for Visual Studio development), but not if it comes at the cost of battery life.

I haven't found benchmarks that compared their battery lives apple-to-apple.

The specs for both chips show almost the same power-draw numbers:

code:
tdp				15 W (15,000 mW, 0.0201 hp, 0.015 kW) +
tdp down		10 W (10,000 mW, 0.0134 hp, 0.01 kW) +
tdp down frequency	800 MHz (0.8 GHz, 800,000 kHz) +
tdp up				25 W (25,000 mW, 0.0335 hp, 0.025 kW) +
(i7) tdp up frequency	2,000 MHz (2 GHz, 2,000,000 kHz) +
(i5) tdp up frequency	1,800 MHz (1.8 GHz, 1,800,000 kHz) +
I haven't kept up to date on hardware for a while, so I'm not sure how I should interpret this.

(a) Will the i7 draw more power during normal, low-performance use?
(b) Will the i7 draw more power while in 'max performance' mode (2 GHz)?
(c) Will the extra power consumption, in either case, have a non-negligible impact on a 17" laptop?

Thanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm on the market for a gaming laptop (which will also perform photo-processing duties). I have an MSI PE60 that had a hard disk problem after 11 months (which I only got fixed last month because the local servicing was kind of dire).

Budget: $1600 (could stretch to $1650)
Must-haves:
SSD (my current laptop doesn't have one because I skimped, much to my regret)
GTX 1050Ti (I'm wondering if I could stretch it to 1060 on that budget)

As for size, I'd like to keep it reasonable? 16 inch tops maybe.

The prime gaming laptop brands here in the Philippines are Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP, and MSI (which I'd rather not get back to because they have lovely drivers and bloatware). I'm leaning towards Asus, but could try Acer or Lenovo if they're good.

I'd say Asus or MSI would be your go to, they tend to have a better selection of GPUs for price point.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anothergod posted:

The two old desktop GPUs I have available to me are the AMD HD5850 and the HD6950, and at least GPUBoss and technical.city are saying the MX150 is underpowered compared to these old GPUs. I'm sure there are better ways to benchmark this graphics card, though?

I still don't know what you're looking for. We've all got access to the same reviews and benchmarks you do. If you want to know how your game runs on an MX150, find someone who has one and pay them to test your game. Or buy one and return it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NihilCredo posted:

(a) Will the i7 draw more power during normal, low-performance use?
(b) Will the i7 draw more power while in 'max performance' mode (2 GHz)?
(c) Will the extra power consumption, in either case, have a non-negligible impact on a 17" laptop?

(a) nope
(b) maybe a little
(c) definitely not

although the same can be said for performance. the difference between i5 and i7 for u-series 15w parts is really minimal and usually not worth the expense.

wait what the hell 17" laptop are you looking at that has a 15w cpu?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Edit: found a refurbished Acer Spin 5 for $450 with these specs. Any opinions and/or mockery welcome.

That's actually a pretty good deal! Well done!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Apropos of nothing else: don’t get a 17” laptop. They’re huge and incapable of functioning as a “laptop” (in a bathroom, coffee shop, airport, or even in a conference room). Duly, they make lovely desktop replacements.

A 15” will allow you the freedom to bring it anywhere and use it without looking like an entitled dork.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. 11.6" is too small for my tastes, though. It's gonna be used to type up notes and lengthy documents in places where I can't take an external keyboard, and my experience with small keyboards is that I just end up cramping up halfway through.

Yeah that's a pretty deece deal for a 2-in-1 with those specs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DNK posted:

Apropos of nothing else: don’t get a 17” laptop. They’re huge and incapable of functioning as a “laptop” (in a bathroom, coffee shop, airport, or even in a conference room). Duly, they make lovely desktop replacements.

A 15” will allow you the freedom to bring it anywhere and use it without looking like an entitled dork.

Seconding this: I got an M6800 and a M6600 precision, they are far too large to do much with, and its hard finding bags that fit them.

However, they do make great desktop replacements.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Huawei's new Matebook X Pro (shown at MWC) will have a 3000x2000 14" screen, 8th gen u proc, and optional MX150 AND TB3 for external GPU havers, AND USB-C charging.

Huh.

It's actually a pretty sweet looking ultrabook, but I sort of wished they had kept the 13" screen size from the previous iteration.

That's actually a pretty swell looking setup, but :lol: I'm never putting my info on a laptop from China

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Dell, Acer and HP are all just as guilty of including horribly insecure bloatware as any chinese manufacturer, maybe more so.

As long as you reinstall windows from a known good iso and run malwarebytes, any computer is really just as insecure as any other computer. If privacy and security are of utmost importance to you, you really shouldn't be running windows in any case.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

The Iron Rose posted:

That's actually a pretty swell looking setup, but :lol: I'm never putting my info on a laptop from China

Its also going to cost closer to $2000 than $1000 and gently caress that if its only got an MX150

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't buy a 17" laptop. Buy a 13" laptop and a 27" monitor. You're suffering from Big Mac syndrome.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait what the hell 17" laptop are you looking at that has a 15w cpu?

Dell Inspiron 7773. The wacky 17-inch convertible.

I already use a Thinkpad P70 at work and I'm super happy with the size, I don't intend to go back to smaller laptops any time soon. The P70 is apparently on the heavier side of the scale at three and a half kilograms, and I can hold it just fine in one hand while typing with the other one; the Inspiron is a lot lighter so I see myself using it in tablet mode quite a bit.

I know that most people want tiny notebook sized laptops and seem to consider two kilos a crushing burden, but IDK, I've always preferred comfortably large ones. I have an old 14” at home and I used to have a 15" Thinkpad at work before the P70, so it's not like I haven't used smaller ones either.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

I have terrible news about where your computers and phones already come from

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Made in America is a fine and admirable quality, but look at what Motorola tried to do, and see how it went from owning itself, to pwning itself and being owned by Lenovo now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NihilCredo posted:

I know that most people want tiny notebook sized laptops and seem to consider two kilos a crushing burden, but IDK, I've always preferred comfortably large ones. I have an old 14” at home and I used to have a 15" Thinkpad at work before the P70, so it's not like I haven't used smaller ones either.

I certainly won't begrudge you your display size, I'm aware that there are a small number of people who remain fans of that form factor, so you do you, man.

I just wouldn't choose one with an ultrabook CPU. If you're carrying around a laptop the size and weight of a small toddler anyway, why not get one with some grunt to it?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Seamonster posted:

Its also going to cost closer to $2000 than $1000 and gently caress that if its only got an MX150

For a machine like that, you're paying for the display more than the gpu. And honestly the idea of a 14", bezel free, 3:2 display on a laptop is doing exciting things to my downstairs area. The only other people doing anything like that are Microsoft, and all their computers are loving glued together.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Made in America is a fine and admirable quality, but look at what Motorola tried to do, and see how it went from owning itself, to pwning itself and being owned by Lenovo now.

The original Moto X made in Texas was fantastic and also cheap. gently caress Lenovo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Moto Xes were fantastic and cheap. I owned two. (one GSM, one CDMA)

But it wasn't cheap for Motorola.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

-I’m looking to replace a decade old MacBook, but these days I can’t afford the premium price point of Macs.
-I like to game, but primarily on Xbone. So this would mostly be used for stuff that isn’t available there, which honestly is mostly smaller games. But I’d like things to look nice without overtaxing the system and be prepared for the occasional bigger game.
-I’m a graphic designer so I want something that can run Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign healthily. That also makes me want screen real estate, but I’m trusting you guys that a 17” isn’t worth it. (And before you ask, I have no room for a desktop and I do more than enough sitting at a desk at work, thank you very much.)
-I’d like something that will last a while, not something that will be begging for a replacement after just a couple years. That MacBook hasn’t been doing great for a while, but it held it’s own for a long time.

Does this look like it fulfills my needs/wants? Is it gonna burn my dick off sitting on my lap, or fall apart on me? Is that UHD panel a trap? Am I paying for more than I need and missing out on a sleeker chassis? Or am I expecting too much out of this price point? There’s so many goddamn variables to laptop shopping it makes my head spin.

Dell Inspiron 15 - 7577
Intel 7th Generation Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core
512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
1TB SATA3 512e 2.5inch 5.4K RPM Hard Drive
16 GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2400MHz (1x16GB)
15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Matte Black - LCD Back Cover (Non Touch Screen)
Intel 8265 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.1

$1,450 Certified Refurbished
$1,233 (12% off sale until the 5th)
$1,082

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I got a very lightly used yoga 900 for five hundred bucks and I feel pretty solid about it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or do the Lenovo B&N Gold and Corporate Perks links work, but not give any discount? Or maybe I'm not looking at the right products? I thought I remembered better deals, but when I opened up the Lenovo shop in an incognito browser the prices were the same as the B&N Gold/Corporate Perks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone have any experience with the ROG Zephyrus? Looking to sell of my Razer Blade and go with something else.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Dell XPS 13 9360 here with these specs for $750:

Intel Core i5-8250U Processor 1.6GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
8GB LPDDR3-1866 RAM
128GB Solid State Drive
Intel HD Graphics 620
SD Card Reader
2x2 Killer 1535 802.11ac Wireless
Bluetooth 4.1
13.3" Full HD InfinityEdge Touchscreen Display

Is that a good deal?

Edit: We raised our budget to $700. Looking for something with a good screen for light photo editing, Netflix, Skype, etc. Hopefully this opens up things since we're not looking in the $400-500 range anymore.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 1, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Statutory Ape posted:

So this?

E: minus a ram upgrade but still doing ssd

Looks good, thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CommieGIR posted:

I'd say Asus or MSI would be your go to, they tend to have a better selection of GPUs for price point.

Asus it is!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Excellent choice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I got a very lightly used yoga 900 for five hundred bucks and I feel pretty solid about it

Yogas are bad laptops sorry to tell you :(

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hi. I don't know poo poo about laptops but I would like to buy a laptop. I've built PCs before and it's super easy to find whatever it is you need for a build. Laptops? I'm hosed.

I'm looking for something small, 13" or less, capable of Plex streaming (from an external hdd if needed), light PC gaming (~2005 and earlier), as well as the usual browsing and text editing, running Windows. Screen resolution and 2-in-1 are nice but not important, but I would like an SD card slot. Budget is around 400cad (say 350 usd).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072QYP4S5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_j5iMAbNXE76WR

Would something like this cut it? Should I shell out a bit more for a real hdd?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Reality Loser posted:

Hi. I don't know poo poo about laptops but I would like to buy a laptop. I've built PCs before and it's super easy to find whatever it is you need for a build. Laptops? I'm hosed.

I'm looking for something small, 13" or less, capable of Plex streaming (from an external hdd if needed), light PC gaming (~2005 and earlier), as well as the usual browsing and text editing, running Windows. Screen resolution and 2-in-1 are nice but not important, but I would like an SD card slot. Budget is around 400cad (say 350 usd).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072QYP4S5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_j5iMAbNXE76WR

Would something like this cut it? Should I shell out a bit more for a real hdd?

refurbished computer from ebay? something like a lenovo x240 or x250 or something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Am I crazy or do the Lenovo B&N Gold and Corporate Perks links work, but not give any discount? Or maybe I'm not looking at the right products? I thought I remembered better deals, but when I opened up the Lenovo shop in an incognito browser the prices were the same as the B&N Gold/Corporate Perks.

For everything, or just the 80 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

XPS 13 is legit so far. Ordered a PM981 500GB to put in; forgot the 850 EVO I have is SATA, not NVMe. QHD screen is gorgeous.