Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I didn't get any noticeable NVH increase from mine.
I got a tiny bit, but it was only on start and I forgot about it after the first week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
guy who doesn't know gently caress about transmissions watch these two videos in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPaUJfA1KsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was reading the owner's manual again over lunch, but I'll watch those instead. Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Apparently EcoBoost motors end up with ring land damage from this, a local tuner who really seems to know his poo poo with Ford hot hatches gave the directive on a Facebook group to keep your revs above 2k if you’re about to get into it, seems like good advice and was already pretty much how I operated. I guess people get a bit lazy with torquey motors and just put the boot in from low speed and let the boost do its thing.
Focus STs are apparently quite vulnerable to this, but there really haven't been many reports with the Fiesta or the Focus RS. LSPI is still something bad to be avoided of course, but it's not something specific to ecoboost motors in general, as previously noted any turbo DI car with a manual transmission can have it happen.

I doubt LSPI is the issue here though because the DSG shouldn't allow it to happen. Its manual mode will still downshift on its own when it needs to, and at least in the MkV would upshift if you bounced off the limiter long enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not tell the guy who doesn't know how a loving transmission works to install a dogbone mount
My friend who used to own the MkV is one of those guys and he installed it himself. The insert things that are common on the VWs are trivial to install, you basically can't gently caress it up. Remove bolt, lube the poo poo out of part and opening, push in and apply rubber mallet as necessary, replace bolt. Done. A "normal" replacement rear motor mount like the Fords take is still pretty easy to install, but the VW insert is literally toddler territory. If you can work one of these you can install it:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Those videos were very informative and I think I'm more confused than when I started. I kind of miss the "a bunch of magic happens" steps that I could safely ignore when driving automatic. Ignorance is bliss. Methinks the self preservation elements of the DSG computer weren't ready for my dumb rear end. (I apparently live fairly close to the beard guy.)

Take aways: Don't push the shifter to the right.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Warbird posted:

Take aways: Don't push the shifter to the right.

Bingo. The DSG programming detects throttle position (or so it seems) so it can pretty much tell if you're in a hurry and it will shift much faster than if you're using a minimal amount of throttle. For the time being, just mash the go pedal and enjoy the ride. The DSG got this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

Custom mode: everything sport setting, Sound Aktor off.

I didn’t think you can turn it off entirely from there. I did it with VCDS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just unplug the drat thing, it takes 30 seconds

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I believe this is true. I'm hoping to shut mine off and toy with other poo poo with OBDeleven.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How much of a pain is it to unplug? I was planning on stopping the cords on mine per the advice of RCR, but a less destructive option would be nice.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Warbird posted:

How much of a pain is it to unplug? I was planning on stopping the cords on mine per the advice of RCR, but a less destructive option would be nice.

You... just pull it out. Takes all of 1 second.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wait is that a fake vroom vroom soundbox?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes. I plugged the one in my FiST with a $1 hose plug on day 2 and unplugged the one in my GTI by the end of the first week

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just did the symposer delete but when i swapped the intake its pretty much just as loud just more wooshy than vroomy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I left the stock intake on my GTI but I did remove the snow catcher and removed the blockoffs on the left side of the intake snorkel. Sounded a lot better like that alone

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

So over the weekend I hit a pothole and broke one of the clips on my rear bumper cover on the RS. The dealer can't even find the part to order, much less give me an estimate on cover + painting it. This is going to be awful.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

So over the weekend I hit a pothole and broke one of the clips on my rear bumper cover on the RS. The dealer can't even find the part to order, much less give me an estimate on cover + painting it. This is going to be awful.

Ugh, that’s a nightmare for me too. Are you on the Focus RS Enthusiast group on Facebook? I’d ask Jessica on there, I’m sure she could tell you the exact part number and where to order it. I posted on there today the amazing job she did on my head gasket recall.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

xsf421 posted:

Good luck. I pulled out of a driveway too sharp and broke a clip off my side skirt on the FiST. The dealership said they could not get the clips without me buying the whole $700+ side skirt

They have treated me well in the past and gave or sold me other miscellaneous parts (I frequent there with company cars) , so I don’t think they were just jerking me around

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So it wasn't my dumb shifting. Putting the GTI into sport and accelerating out of a stoplight caused the knocking again. This wasn’t foot to floor either, normal acceleration. It for sure seems to be having trouble grabbing second gear or at least I think it does. I’m for sure not hitting the shifters. Normal mode works fine. Thoughts?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Warbird posted:

So it wasn't my dumb shifting. Putting the GTI into sport and accelerating out of a stoplight caused the knocking again. This wasn’t foot to floor either, normal acceleration. It for sure seems to be having trouble grabbing second gear or at least I think it does. I’m for sure not hitting the shifters. Normal mode works fine. Thoughts?

Does it stutter / pause when the knock happens, or is it just a normal knock from the front end? (or was it rear???) How many miles are on this thing? Are you sure it's not just a DSG fart? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh1vxPZ0EhQ

Dr.Caligari posted:

Good luck. I pulled out of a driveway too sharp and broke a clip off my side skirt on the FiST. The dealership said they could not get the clips without me buying the whole $700+ side skirt

They have treated me well in the past and gave or sold me other miscellaneous parts (I frequent there with company cars) , so I don’t think they were just jerking me around

Time to buy a broken sideskirt from car-part.com or eBay. Maybe the normal Fiesta uses the same clip somewhere, I'm too lazy to find a fiche now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Stutter/stop, rear, 4500 miles, and I honestly don’t know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was the car crashed before you bought it or something? I'd assume it still has a warranty

Warbird
May 23, 2012

No crashes and yes

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you've got a friend or know someone who knows about cars or has experience driving a DSG, get them to take it for a quick spin and see what they think.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Is your parking break rusted up and locked tripping the traction control?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
have a passenger record a video and post it on youtube for us to watch it

was it wet out?

i still think you're just losing traction. its extremely easy in a turbo fwd car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Everyone I know drives automatic, but I'll try and strike up a conversation with one of the GTI owners in the neighborhood if the opportunity presents itself. I'm used to a level of driving that consists largely of "Put in D and press gas until you arrive at your destination" level of thought, so I'm still fairly sure I'm the root cause here. I don't know if the parking brake would be rusting, but I did double check that the traction control was engaged. It has been wet, so that may be what's up.

I took it out on a longer drive on the backroads to try and reproduce the issue. We had one incident of "slippage" which was in a higher gear than the others (right at the start), but it behaved itself pretty well. I'm getting annoyed I can't reproduce it. Common throughlines for these are: jackass driver (me), wet/damp roads, sport mode, fairly recent (~2 minutes) car starting, recent switch to sport mode (~10 seconds before acceleration), and semi stops (right on a red light, pulling onto highway). I remember someone mentioning it takes a moment for everything to warm up, so that could potentially be it. I also wonder if the mechawhatchamahoozit computer thing got thrown off by by slowing down prior to trying to accelerate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Don't accelerate hard on a cold engine. What part of the world are you in? Maybe local to somebody here that can show you how to drive car.

Also in the wet you're more liable to get wheel hop. This is what wheel hop sounds like. Whole car sort of shakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZANbsFAu_s&t=75s

Warbird
May 23, 2012

NC and that’s it minus the tires squealing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Warbird posted:

Wheel hop. Take it easy in the wet, it exacerbates this but is totally normal on stock cars. FWD (and RWD can as well) cars with high power do this, it's from the drivetrain having slop and from the wheels getting traction and then losing it again very quickly. When you get it, get the gently caress off the gas. It's hell for the drivetrain.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspension/wheel-hop-causes-effects-and-cures/

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Welcome to the world of high powered FWD cars my friend! If you're feeling saucy you could try installing one of these:

https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

It's tough to really eliminate wheel hop in a platform like this but it would probably help at least if you're willing to trade some noise and vibration for it. My Focus ST had a really soft stock rear motor mount so swapping it out really helped- I only notice the vibrations at idle sitting in traffic with increases in vibes when the air conditioning compressor is running.

You should do some research on your own on the various forums for your car before you do anything though- wealth of information and active users out there on pretty much any enthusiast-geared car like the GTI.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoulda thunk going from a 150HP automatic to 220HP weird auto clutch thingy would make for driving differently. :v: Good to know it's not the car. I most certainly backed right the gently caress off of the accelerator when that happened, so hopefully nothing was harmed.

Another idiot question: Is the "sport" mode that you get from pressing the shifter down once past drive the same as the "sport" mode you get from fooling with the driving style button over to the left of the shifter? The manual is a bit ambiguous about this. It seems one tweaks the logic on shifting and the other messes with the handling as well as the shifting.

Also, wasn't installing the dogbone ruled to be a bad idea as I'm an idiot?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 2, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Isn’t your car used? Maybe the previous owner flash tuned it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Given the custom pedal shifters, it's entirely possible. How would I verify it? It's CPO, so I'd like to think the dealership would have checked for modification at some point.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ok, so you have a Sport trim 17 right? Going from D to S or M is only the control of the transmission.

The button by your shifter to change the drive configurations, since there's more options than just the transmission:

default/comfort
sport
custom (which you can change the parameters of)

Default/comfort will leave your transmission in D, and default/comfort settings for: active headlights, sport differential, traction control and soundakator off

sport: transmission in S, sport setting on active headlights, differential, traction control and soundakator on

custom: you can mix and match settings as you want from the above options.

----

I dont think transmission sport makes any changes to power output or throttle input, just shift points, holding gears longer and generally not as upshift friendly as D mode.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It doesn't turn it off in all the modes, just that one.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Warbird posted:

Given the custom pedal shifters, it's entirely possible. How would I verify it? It's CPO, so I'd like to think the dealership would have checked for modification at some point.

You can either call/email all the major tuners and ask if your car has been tuned (give them your vin #). COBB, APR, and Unitronic are the common ones.

Or you can get OBDeleven or something and read the boost pressure to see if it goes above stock levels (20 PSI).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The DSG is basically built to handle a tune though. If it was a manual I would be much more concerned.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Big ole pile of parts ready to install as soon as the weather gets nice. Rigging up some brake ducting, swapping the gas and brake pedal cover to more heel-toe friendly ones, mountune radiator, and some maintenance stuff like plugs/oil/etc. Also ordered some stickier tires, Hankook R-S4's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

PaintVagrant posted:

Big ole pile of parts ready to install as soon as the weather gets nice. Rigging up some brake ducting, swapping the gas and brake pedal cover to more heel-toe friendly ones, mountune radiator, and some maintenance stuff like plugs/oil/etc. Also ordered some stickier tires, Hankook R-S4's.

Have you had your car on a dyno with the new turbo? Was it dyno tuned or off the shelf?