Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

So I'm reviewing StarCitizen Tracker's spreadsheets for a JSON update.

I just thought this one was funny. Someone filled out the form that 'Nyx landing zone' should be marked as Completed. I'm gonna go with In alpha at best.

Expectation 2015:

Deliverable LATE 2017:

I seems clear to me the original video was an on rails tour; practically a cutscene. I've NEVER seen a ship move so smoothly. It looks like they just plopped most of that cutscenes model right onto the moon. without any of the gas or atmosphere effects.

I'm the mostly sub 15 fps during most of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm the mostly sub 15 fps during most of that

quote:

The system was first charted through a jump point in the Stanton System by solo navjumper Carla Larry.

How dare you have so much disrespect for Carla Larry. They took such risk doing solo navjumping, and you speak so ill of their discoveries? The high council will hear of this.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I'm the tools that they've almost finished that will allow them to start working on something that they showed as complete 3 years ago.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

XK posted:

The Nyx landing zone is what is currently known as Levski, on the asteroid Delamar. This is where 3 jacket Miles Eckhart hangs out. It's on an asteroid that is supposed to be in another planetary system (Nyx system), but has "temporarily" been relocated to the Stanton system. It's basically a transplanted demo area.

Hahaha. Well that explains how I got confused. * Realism Intensifies *

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Is the poo poo on

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

canon? There's names and backstories for everything. Did that come from CIG? It's actually kind of mental.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Nul_system

quote:

Nul system

Nul is a Classical Cepheid star first discovered in 2290, a yellow supergiant that pulsates (swelling 10-15% in size and luminosity) approximately every few months. Due to the variable nature of the star, attempts to terraform have not been successful, so the system was simply abandoned by the UEE and for centuries lay empty.

The main planet in the system is Ashana, a primarily desert world which is the fifth planet from the star. Its principal landing zone is located in the Olympus, a UEE carrier which crashed on the planet in 2571 when pursuing fugitives due Ashana's dangerously high gravity. The former carrier is now inhabited by Tevarin refugees, with facilities including mechanics, fuel sales, trade facilities, and a weapons dealership. A bar, the Dark Sun, has been set up on the former carrier's bridge.[2]

There is also reputed to be a slave market operating in the system.

Where did that actually come from?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm the tools that they've almost finished that will allow them to start working on something that they showed as complete 3 years ago.

:thurman::drat::thurman:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

XK posted:

Is the poo poo on

canon? There's names and backstories for everything. Did that come from CIG? It's actually kind of mental.

Dave Haddock and his team hard at work on the insane lore instead of the novella they have been selling for 5 years. :waycool:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

XK posted:

Is the poo poo on

It was the $4.6 million stretch goal.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12804-Unlock-Nul-System

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wild poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Never heard of the Nul system before, and I bet almost nobody else has either.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

They spend most of their time in the NaN system.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Here's the $4.7 stretch goal

quote:

Kilian System
Ownership: UEE
Planets: 14
Planetary Rotation: MacArthur (488 SED), Gimbal (690 SED)
Import: Weapons, heavy metals, luxury items, spare parts
Export: Weapons (surplus)
Crime Status: Low
Black Market: Narcotics, gambling
UEE Strategic Value: White

The construction yard for the mighty UEE Navy and the birthplace of
the Bengal-class carrier. Scores of shipyards work 24/7 building and
resting destroyers, orbital stations, planetary defenses and other
space assets.

As with any navy base, merchants can make a killing offering
less-than-legal entertainment options… but anyone thinking to ship
anything especially harmful under the eyes of the bulk of UEE Navy
will not last long as a smuggler. On the legal side, Kilian is always
in need of raw materials for starship hulls, spare parts for operating
the fleet and there are even shipping contracts available to civilians
willing to bring munitions constructed elsewhere.

Several spacecraft companies maintain formal showrooms in the Kilian
System, including Roberts Space Industries and Anvil Aerospace.

Located near the eastern systems, Kilian is also where recruits from
Terra go for basic training, and is the source of the traditional
space shanty “Off to Kilian’s Fields.”

The promise tracker seems to be missing important features like slaves, narcotics, and gambling.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

MilesK posted:

Here's the $4.7 stretch goal

The promise tracker seems to be missing important features like slaves, narcotics, and gambling.

I'm just shy of 3 years in on following this show, and I still have difficulty wrapping my head around this stuff.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

There's probably tons of poo poo to mine on

http://starcitizen.wikia.com

and the various source references, to pass our time for a day or so.

I just hit 2 random pages and it was pretty wild.

Let me try again:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Squadron_42

To:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15616-Intergalactic-Aerospace-Expo-Day-Eight-Aegis-Dynamics

quote:

Outside of Cal Mason and Selon McClintock, no other pilot is as synonymous with Squadron 42 than Aria Reilly. Interestingly, Reilly was one of the few who not only served as a combat pilot in the renowned squadron for eight years, but as their commanding officer when she was promoted to captain the carrier, UEES Caspian.

During Aria’s early tours as a combat pilot, she obsessively tested all of the ships that she was assigned, meticulously testing various loadouts and configurations to push the limits of the ship. For one reason or another, all the ships would ultimately fail her rigorous series of tests… until she tackled the Anvil Hornet. “There wasn’t a scenario or loadout that I could put [the Hornet] through that it couldn’t find its way out of. Like the drat ship was doomed to succeed,” she recalled in an interview. Needless to say, Aria Reilly’s Wildfire Hornet became her mainstay ship and her default configuration (swapping energy cannons for ballistic repeaters and varying up her missile systems) became her ‘all-purpose loadout,’ capable of handling whatever situation met her in the field.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

For about one and a half pages I was under the impression that Derek liked to do woodwork. What a renascence man :swoon: I said, such varied skillset, that lustrous hair! (that should have tipped me off) Maybe it's furniture where he really shines.

Now that you mention it...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Erin Roberts is Khaaaaaaaaannnn!

That Anvil Hornet never failed a rigorous test. Stated by pilot in interview. Buy one now.

The lore is pretty great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

XK posted:

Is the poo poo on

Hope you're ready for galaxy brain

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Clicked and met with:

quote:

Humanity has always been told to reach for the stars.

Well, it looks like we may have finally caught one.

Nick Croshaw, Explorer, 2271

CIG is really in love with the fake quotes. What's up with that?

It's really bizarre.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Star Citizen was a scam.

Bob Rooney, Forensic Accountant, 2019

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Keep doing what you're doing

Nivvck Croshaw, Explorer, 2271

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Golli posted:

Shillbot needs a reboot.

e: although the 2018 alfa looks pretty - would test drive

i am test driving one this Saturday, weather permitting. I will let you know what it is like.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

XK posted:

There's probably tons of poo poo to mine on

http://starcitizen.wikia.com

I hit random and got lamp.
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Lamp
Lamp. Gotta have lamp.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

BANANA TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08GSGij188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkk9bxGRzo

Use Gros Michel bananas, not Cavendish, you idiots!

recipe post

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Lladre posted:

i am test driving one this Saturday, weather permitting. I will let you know what it is like.

Sweet. I have never driven an Alpha before.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

~30 years to see SC finished? Singularity confirmed.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

11pm Thursday EST is banana time, in case anybody didn't know.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Virtual Captain posted:

Hahaha. Well that explains how I got confused. * Realism Intensifies *

Levski’s awkward transplantation into micro-3.0 is best understood in the context of the hugely disruptive ad-hoc decision to switch from a Landing Zone centric model of Star Citizen worldbuilding to a Procedurally Generation model of Star Citizen worldbuilding.

G0RF posted:

In short, “Never go full space with your space game!”

On that note, I find myself returning yet again to the little-remarked upon Brian Chambers / Batgirl exchange in February of this year. It was already noteworthy for its subtextual hints about CIG work culture (and so too for some brief asides about the legal stickiness of switching to Lumberyard) but more and more I find myself just amazed with what the story reveals about (yet again) the Ad Hockiness of CIG’s Development Process.

Brian Chambers tells the story of how Frankfurt created the space for a key developer to, er, create the space via PG. And it’s a cool enough story, giving an employee the freedom to experiment with something they’ve a passion to solve.

Yet once the functional demo was completed and shown to Chris and others, everything changed.

CIG had been working on their buildout of the Nyx Landing zone for years. Here is their ”Coming Soon - Nyx Landing Zone” trailer from August 2015. Nyx had been flacked on their shows for quite some time, Tony had prattled at length about it as had Chris and it was long overdue, yet sometime likely in the fall of 2015, the skunkworks Procedural Generation experiment that the team in Frankfurt kept intentionally hidden from Chris had its public debut for leadership. Chris inevitably spazzed out, air punched and yelled “Suck it, Braben!” and a month later had probably started claiming it was his idea all along because Visionary.

(It could’ve happened before the fall — I’m using the date of the ‘Coming Soon - Nyx!’ trailer assuming that landing zones were still the plan at that time.)

By December of 2015, the hype cycle began with “From Pupil to Planet.” And unsurprisingly, they used Levski on the planet Delamar in the Nyx system as their starting place.

The trailer itself was so assured, it gave illusion to the myth of far-seeing wizardry at work under visionary developer Chris Roberts, yet the trailer was hastily rushed out after Levski was hastily grafted in after the switch to PG was hastily made by the very guy intentionally kept out of the development loop by Foundry Frankfurt.

Why was Stanton System chosen as nucleus of Alpha 3.0?

I can Imagine the most obvious explanation; because Stanton was home to one of the other hand-crafted landing zones they’d been futzing around with for years, ArcCorp. Roberts might as easily have decided to set Alpha 3.0 in Nyx and graft ArcCorp in temporarily. I suspect the reason he did not was because he wanted “From Pupil to Planet” to zoom out from their much more modest Delamar / Levski landing zone so that they didn’t have to deal with the muckity-muck of dropping a massive, complicated city like ArcCorp into their PG launch plans and thereby committing to have to deliver that when they rolled out 3.0. (Unsurprisingly, the new and improved PG version of ArcCorp was the centerpiece of last year’s CitizenCon demo. It’s not coming to backers any faster than the original ArcCorp Landing Zone did.)

Backers for the most part are unable to piece together the interpretive framework to put all these distinct litltle moments, confessions, inadvertent reveals and circumstantial bits of evidence together and reach a coherent conclusion of the inner workings of Cloud Imperium Games. There is simply too much to synthesize, analyze, subject to close examination and falsify, and more importantly, they’re addicted to the magic show and don’t want to know how the tricks are performed. The miraculous fictions produced via trailercraft and “live demoea” continue to disguise the sleights of hand of a developer who is forever bumbling by the seat of his pants who hypes so much yet delivers so little because he can’t make a plan and see it through to completion.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

G0RF posted:

sometime likely in the fall of 2015, the skunkworks Procedural Generation experiment that the team in Frankfurt kept intentionally hidden from Chris had its public debut for leadership. Chris inevitably spazzed out, air punched and yelled “Suck it, Braben!” and a month later had probably started claiming it was his idea all along because Visionary.

The procedural generation guy torpedoed this project. It was dead in the water anyway, but he hit it right in the keel under the ammo locker.

quote:

By December of 2015, the hype cycle began with “From Pupil to Planet.” And unsurprisingly, they used Levski on the planet Delamar in the Nyx system as their starting place.

Asteroid, not planet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Nope'n development.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

The procedural generation guy torpedoed this project. It was dead in the water anyway, but he hit it right in the keel under the ammo locker.

What’s amazing to me about it is that the decision to switch seems to have been made in a heartbeat. I mean I know Chris’s mind is always focused on his next trailer, his next cinematic, his next crafted demo that will dazzle the throngs. But it’s hard to see what exactly they gained by it besides certain damnation to the PC space sim micro-niche. Their networking challenges were made much the harder. Squadron 42 was suddenly made much harder, and surely much slower. But for what, really? Bragging rights? That you used PG tech as foundation for a game that promised 100 Star Systems at launch as a $6 million stretch goal and then opted for 5 to 10 PG ones after you’d raised $160M?

Oh well. I’m sure Chris knows what he’s doing.

“Chalng aceptid.”

quote:

Asteroid, not planet.

From Trailer to Tech Demo.

I’m year 5 of Development.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

G0RF posted:

Backers for the most part are unable to piece together the interpretive framework to put all these distinct litltle moments, confessions, inadvertent reveals and circumstantial bits of evidence together and reach a coherent conclusion of the inner workings of Cloud Imperium Games. There is simply too much to synthesize, analyze, subject to close examination and falsify, and more importantly, they’re addicted to the magic show and don’t want to know how the tricks are performed. The miraculous fictions produced via trailercraft and “live demoea” continue to disguise the sleights of hand of a developer who is forever bumbling by the seat of his pants who hypes so much yet delivers so little because he can’t make a plan and see it through to completion.
We're watching Hugh Jackman drown every night.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Actually Sandi's entire last film appearance is already in, if you watch closely between 0.5 seconds and 0.5 seconds it's there

:golfclap:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Is it that the citizen turnover is so great that none of the current shitbirds remember the last time monthly, date driven, patches were planned, or are they openly pretending that this wasn't already planned, executed, and aborted during delivery?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm sure CryEngine could help with that :smuggo:

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Tippis posted:

Sure they can lie.

It would be such a wonderful treat if they did. :D
Unfortunately, the universe is not kind enough (and not even CIG is stupid enough) to grant such a favour.

Many pages back but if there sport bets on this, I'd bet they would lie. CIG have lied about everything including who they were in the initial response to the lawsuit that whats lying about financials to them. At best they'll go "ship purchases don't count to this case and weren't included in the sheet".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

Shillbot needs a reboot.

e: although the 2018 alfa looks pretty - would test drive

Only Test Drive I drive would be Test Drive: Unlimited (the first, not the bad sequel with horrible driving schools)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

anybody mention ben has the gravity of a black hole and that is why CIG cant ever get rid of him?

It might have come up at some point, but could be worth repeating to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Virtual Captain posted:

So I'm reviewing StarCitizen Tracker's spreadsheets for a JSON update.

I just thought this one was funny. Someone filled out the form that 'Nyx landing zone' should be marked as Completed. I'm gonna go with In alpha at best.

Expectation 2015:

Deliverable LATE 2017:

I seems clear to me the original video was an on rails tour; practically a cutscene. I've NEVER seen a ship move so smoothly. It looks like they just plopped most of that cutscenes model right onto the moon. without any of the gas or atmosphere effects.

The planets in Elite right now make even that pre rendered stuff look like a mess.