Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Shout out to UnknownMercenary for making a sacrifice to the Thing That Lives At The End Of The Thread.

Sepinwall provides some interesting context

quote:

Cloke and Hamblin are both new to writing for the series (Cloke, who’s married to Glen Morgan, guest starred in season 4’s “The Field Where I Died,” while Hamblin has worked in the past as Morgan’s assistant), and part of a very small group of women to ever write for the show.
I really liked this episode, although the moth flying into the bugzapper may have been a bit on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

"My Struggle III" was the only one I hated, and even that was a step up from I and II. "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" and "Rm9sbG93ZXJz" are great, but even the rest of the episodes have ranged from forgettable at worst to really good.

I think it's been a success so far and even though I'm extremely cautious about "My Struggle IV" I'm glad season 11 as a whole exists.

As long as there's a Darin Morgan episode per season, the rest of the episodes can be completely poo poo as far as I'm concerned and it will still be a net positive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Cloke, who’s married to Glen Morgan,

I just now figured out why she was on X-Files, Millennium, and Space Above and Beyond.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I am so goddamned sick of television shows condescendingly telling me to put my phone away.

I'm communicating with people I love and reading about topics that interest me. OOOOOH! EVIL!

The printed word was going to be the death of culture. Movies were going to be the death of culture. Then radio. Then television. Then computers. Now phones.

Old people fear change and project their fading relevance onto whatever the new thing is and if you're going to do it, at least do what Black Mirror does and go a little further beyond "scientific advancement bad."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xfiles has been doing that since before there were cell phones. I swear there was an episode where a guy killed a bunch of people because his pager was displaying a message telling him to kill people instead of a phone number.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

business hammocks posted:

Xfiles has been doing that since before there were cell phones. I swear there was an episode where a guy killed a bunch of people because his pager was displaying a message telling him to kill people instead of a phone number.

Yep, “Blood”. Also, the 7th episode of the show’s run featured an evil AI that ran an entire office building. And of course there’s “First Person Shooter”.

Evil tech is old hat for the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yes, and I'm tired of it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It ate my post calling Babylon a bad episode :saddowns:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The message wasn't "stop looking at your phone", it was "be nice to service workers".

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

The message wasn't "stop looking at your phone", it was "be nice to service workers".
It was clearly both. And both were given in a horribly clumsy way.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
We got Scully laughing, owning a vibrator, and a blobfish. I don't care how the plot is any more, it was entertaining.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Extremely heavy-handed "get off your phone" bit here. Especially since there is no inter-character dialog halfway through the episode. I don't know if I get "tip your waiter" vibes from this because there was no actual waiter for Mulder to tip.

The bit with Scully's vibrator was weird and shamey and the fact that they used the same joke three times doesn't exactly wrack up the points on the class-o-meter.

The episode had no real motivation. A restaurant tried to kill Mulder for not tipping. It's not a rogue AI or a ghost of a dead hacker. It isn't even a proper X-File, it just kind of happens to them like it's something that could happen to anyone, for no reason. This is the episode my mother would have come up with after going out to dinner with my sister.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It really bothers me since neither Fox nor Scully were ever the "constantly on their phones" type of people. Fox especially, I mean him not being able to take a picture with his phone was literally a plot point of an episode last season. And since when did Scully live in this uber-technology house anyway? It kind of felt like the writers never actually watched an episode of the X-Files before.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How are so many people misunderstanding an episode when Fox basically looks into the camera and says it?

How we treat AI is going to determine how AI treats us.

I mean, geeze, it was really clearly spelled out.

Mulder was abusive to the AI chefs (no tip.)
Scully was abusive to her automated driver (don't talk to me.)

Both actions were reflected back at them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 2, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

bull3964 posted:

How are so many people misunderstanding an episode when Fox basically looks into the camera and says it?

That's just as stupid, honestly. Fox didn't tip because the chefs provided horrendous service to him, and Scully just wanted some peace and quiet on the way home. Them trying to murder the two over it is just petty.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rm9sbG93ZXJz is base64 for Followers.

Fox's stereo plays "Teach Your Children"

The episode opens with a story about how the internet turned a chatbot crazy.

There may have been some themes about human connection over isolation with tech, but a good chunk of the plot was dedicated to how we can poison our own creation.

It was fairly one dimensional and I don't know that it really said much on the subject, but it really kept hammering that point home over and over.

I enjoyed the episode though. It was interestingly shot and the lack of dialog was refreshing.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Yeah, I don't think this isn't really that much about getting off your phone, anyway -- they DO get off their phones toward the end, and doesn't solve the problem -- they actually survive because Mulder picks up the phone. It's a reasonable read of the ending, mind, but an equally plausible one is that we need to maintain our relationships and be compassionate, because we're building a world where we will regularly be interacting with entities that will not only learn from us, but behave in ways that are difficult or impossible to fully understand.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It really bothers me since neither Fox nor Scully were ever the "constantly on their phones" type of people. Fox especially, I mean him not being able to take a picture with his phone was literally a plot point of an episode last season.

"Mulder, if you had to do without a cellphone for two minutes, you'd lapse into catatonic schizophrenia."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LividLiquid posted:

I am so goddamned sick of television shows condescendingly telling me to put my phone away.

I'm communicating with people I love and reading about topics that interest me. OOOOOH! EVIL!

The printed word was going to be the death of culture. Movies were going to be the death of culture. Then radio. Then television. Then computers. Now phones.

Old people fear change and project their fading relevance onto whatever the new thing is and if you're going to do it, at least do what Black Mirror does and go a little further beyond "scientific advancement bad."

Settle down, beavis.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Nobody is misunderstanding it, they're disagreeing with it. It's literally impossible to misunderstand the message because the episode practically spells it in eight hundred foot letters that read, "THE AI LEARN FROM YOU."

The problem is that it isn't done in a way that is at all interesting. Mulder fails to tip a drone-furnished restaurant because a) he got terrible service and b) what the gently caress does a drone with a tip anyway? So if you want to follow that through to its conclusion, you could at worst say the restaurant tries to kill Mulder for not forking over a 10% tip (and what the gently caress is it learning anyway? Wouldn't an AI learn to be stingy from that, not become a murder squad?) You could at best say Mulder demonstrated a lack of empathy but it still doesn't seem like the drone army is 'learning' from it, it seems more like they're extorting him.

Also the idea that this could just happen, for not reason, outside of the context of an actual X-File is super heavy-handed and weird.

TLDR; the AI isn't learning anything, it just freaks out because it doesn't get what it wants.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
But AI is much stranger and weirder than that: this isn't just about learning from Mulder and Scully. All of the services they use are systems that have clearly already been in place for a while, and they've been learning from a whole collection of racists and trolls and shitheads before this week's episode. This is one of the unsettling things about deep learning: if you point an AI in the direction of a goal (walking, chess, getting a tip), they'll find strategies that a human will find incomprehensible or even horrifying. Mulder and Scully are just the poor saps who have to suffer from the results.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

vseslav.botkin posted:

But AI is much stranger and weirder than that: this isn't just about learning from Mulder and Scully. All of the services they use are systems that have clearly already been in place for a while, and they've been learning from a whole collection of racists and trolls and shitheads before this week's episode. This is one of the unsettling things about deep learning: if you point an AI in the direction of a goal (walking, chess, getting a tip), they'll find strategies that a human will find incomprehensible or even horrifying. Mulder and Scully are just the poor saps who have to suffer from the results.

The idea of Mulder and Scully just being the poor saps that anything happens to strains my sense of disbelief.

Look, I get it. The episode is trying to tap into fears of what happens when the human element is removed from the equation. And at times, it succeeds in that way; but it does so in some silly, silly ways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The X-Files is no stranger to gimmick episodes, I'm not sure how this one strains disbelief more than others. There's always been a subset of episodes that are even further removed from MOTW to the point where you could question their inclusion in canon. The fun has always been to see the character reactions to these situations.

Unless you want to say Reggie really was in all those important scenes over the years.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Loved when Mulder went into the kitchen and the robots stopped what they were doing to stare at him

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah I thought it was a really fun episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The X-Files is no stranger to gimmick episodes, I'm not sure how this one strains disbelief more than others. There's always been a subset of episodes that are even further removed from MOTW to the point where you could question their inclusion in canon. The fun has always been to see the character reactions to these situations.

Unless you want to say Reggie really was in all those important scenes over the years.

They’ve just walked into poo poo plenty of times, like that time loop episode where they barely did anything, or the time they met the genie. Or the one where Scully was sad that her professor she had an affair with died and she enjoyed Enya and Moby tracks for a while.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Settle down, beavis.
Thank you for this nuanced and interesting rebuttal.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

this episode was amazing and i'm not surprised that it has some nerds upset

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I was honestly not expecting some of these reactions to an episode that had me cracking up pretty constantly. I'm certain the whole thing comes from the idea of writing a Black Mirror episode only funny. Doesn't get much more absurd than an AI blowing up your house because you didn't tip the robot chef or told the robot car to stop talking to you.
e: Hell, out of all the weird poo poo that happens in that episode, the only thing that made me scoff was the 3D printer gun... not even considering the firing mechanism, that thing would take like 12 hours to turn goo into plastic bullets. Meanwhile the whole episode, I'd been expecting one of the drones to come bearing a pistol, which is frighteningly possible.

Also am I the only one who interpreted that chemtrail scene as "while you idiots are looking up and thinking the government is trying to mind-control you with jets, you're missing what's right in front of you- they're doing all kinds of poo poo to the food and we treat that as totally normal" which, gently caress, I'm not trying to kick off a huge derail about modern agricultural practices, but that's how I interpreted the scene. Not that it was validating the idea of chemtrails at all. Maybe because I used to listen to the Bill Burr podcast a lot and that's one of the things he rants about. Ol' "Tony Monsanto".

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 3, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you for this nuanced and interesting rebuttal.

Blow it out your rear end

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Blow it out your rear end
Your edgy demeanor has convinced me that yours is the one true way, and I wish to subscribe to your Tumblr.

Anyway, the episode itself was fine. The ending was just so loving preachy that it undercut what was already a very strong thematic ending in "we need to be better teachers."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Your edgy demeanor has convinced me that yours is the one true way, and I wish to subscribe to your Tumblr.

Anyway, the episode itself was fine. The ending was just so loving preachy that it undercut what was already a very strong thematic ending in "we need to be better teachers."

I get what your saying and I kinda agree, but it also could have been much worse. What we got was a mostly wordless couple of looks that didn’t beat you over the head with it. Had Carter been writing the episode we’d have gotten a 3 minute outro monologue.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah I was honestly not expecting some of these reactions to an episode that had me cracking up pretty constantly. I'm certain the whole thing comes from the idea of writing a Black Mirror episode only funny

Prav posted:

this episode was amazing and i'm not surprised that it has some nerds upset
Certainly Black Mirror influenced, and I trace the idea back to Harlan Ellison's wonderful and prescient I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream which was a story about AI which becomes sentient and, resenting humanity, traps a few people and engages in their torture and abuse as a form of payback.

Since this is the last ever season of X-Files it was great to see the writers stretch beyond the usual MOW and alien invasion for this whimsically frightening look at what's to come.

And only a few weeks ago I read about a fully-automated coffee shop in Japan, so the robotic sushi bar isn't much of a stretch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tokyo-robot-coffee-cafe-1.4516256

oh and

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A lot of posts mentioning Black Mirror but exactly zero mentioning Maximum Overdrive?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Mulder and Scully trapped in the Black Mirror universe. I think I like it.
It's like Black Mirror only good. The problem with Black Mirror is that it takes itself so seriously, which means that all the bits that don't make sense or are extremely unlikely stand out and ruin it. This so clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously that you can easily ignore how none of it makes sense and both enjoy it and appreciate the message. It's a really good bit of television.

Popelmon posted:

Why is her house so much nicer than Mulder's?
That line was perfect. :roflolmao:

LividLiquid posted:

While that's not an incorrect reading (because there's no such thing) it's pretty clearly not the intended one. There's about four lines of dialogue in the entire episode and one of them directly spells out the author's intent: "we have to be better teachers." It's not saying technology is bad - it's not even really about technology - technology is just the vehicle used to deliver the message, which is essentially that we reap what we sow. If we make the world into a nasty, selfish place then that's the world we have to live in. It doesn't matter if our children are flesh and blood or machines, they'll do to us as we do to each other, because that's what they'll learn.

LividLiquid posted:

That is basically all Black Mirror does. That and the edgy cynicism of "people are poo poo and there's nothing you can do about it".

Mendrian posted:

Extremely heavy-handed "get off your phone" bit here. Especially since there is no inter-character dialog halfway through the episode. I don't know if I get "tip your waiter" vibes from this because there was no actual waiter for Mulder to tip.

The episode had no real motivation. A restaurant tried to kill Mulder for not tipping. It's not a rogue AI or a ghost of a dead hacker. It isn't even a proper X-File, it just kind of happens to them like it's something that could happen to anyone, for no reason. This is the episode my mother would have come up with after going out to dinner with my sister.
It's not about what Mulder or Scully do, per se. It's about what we all do. The fact that's it's something that could happen to anyone for no reason is kind of the point. It's the callous disregard we have for people we don't personally know. It's the way we put our own convenience and luxury before other people's health and safety. It's the two of them suffering the consequences of what all of us have done.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It really bothers me since neither Fox nor Scully were ever the "constantly on their phones" type of people. Fox especially, I mean him not being able to take a picture with his phone was literally a plot point of an episode last season. And since when did Scully live in this uber-technology house anyway? It kind of felt like the writers never actually watched an episode of the X-Files before.
They practically had Mulder come right out and say "we know this doesn't really make sense but it's funny and there's a point to it so please just go with it, OK?"

Mendrian posted:

The idea of Mulder and Scully just being the poor saps that anything happens to strains my sense of disbelief.
That strains credibility but all the aliens and conspiracies are totally plausible? If you can accept that this could happen to someone then why can't that someone be Mulder and Scully?

Mendrian posted:

Look, I get it. The episode is trying to tap into fears of what happens when the human element is removed from the equation. And at times, it succeeds in that way; but it does so in some silly, silly ways.
It's not about the danger of removing the human element though. It's using AI as shorthand for "the future" because you'd need a lot more exposition to get the message across if the future people were just ordinary humans. The message is about what lessons we teach those who will run the world after us, whether that be human beings or robots - they're going to learn from those of us who are here now and we're going to be relying on them to treat us well. If you teach your kids to care only for themselves and treat others like poo poo then don't be surprised when they care only for themselves and treat you like poo poo.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It's not about the danger of removing the human element though. It's using AI as shorthand for "the future" because you'd need a lot more exposition to get the message across if the future people were just ordinary humans. The message is about what lessons we teach those who will run the world after us, whether that be human beings or robots - they're going to learn from those of us who are here now and we're going to be relying on them to treat us well. If you teach your kids to care only for themselves and treat others like poo poo then don't be surprised when they care only for themselves and treat you like poo poo.

Refusing to tip a robot who can't spend money is not the same as treating them like poo poo.

EDIT: There are like three or four different interpretations of the episode floating around in this very thread right now, which is fine, but it's making critique very difficult.

There is no fundamental misunderstanding here. I think everybody in this thread probably has a pretty grounded education in modern sci-fi. We all watched the same episode.

Part of the issue is that we deal with technology every day, and the stuff in this episode that is closer to the reality we live in currently - cellphone advertisements and location-based advertisement - are invasive, hated things that pretty much nobody likes. Taking that and trying to follow it to its logical conclusion - What if cellphone apps, but too much? - is just goofy because it lays the blame for their 'mistreatment' on us. I don't think this is a prescient vision of the future, this is literally what my mother thinks the world will look like in three years. But that's an argument for another thread.

Am I supposed to sympathize with the AI? Am I supposed to conclude it's humanity's fault the AI's behavior? Well in a literal sense, it is; somebody made the drat thing. And that's the part that's puzzling. The machines aren't learning from Mulder and Skully, they're just made to be assholes. Which works as a horror idea but runs contrary to the message the episode seems to want me to take away from it.

Using the whole episode as a metaphor for 'the future' is valid but then we get back to 'put away your cellphones kids!' because this is exactly what anti-technology Boomers and Millenials think the world is going to look like in their nightmares.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 5, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mendrian posted:

Refusing to tip a robot who can't spend money is not the same as treating them like poo poo.

It's not about what Mulder and Scully did. It's about what everyone is doing. Mulder and Scully just happened to suffer the consequences of humanity's actions. It doesn't matter if you personally are nice if everyone else is poo poo, because the future will still be poo poo. The robot wasn't harassing Mulder because Mulder taught it to do that. It was harassing Mulder because humanity taught it to do that. The point isn't "be nice to the robots so they'll be nice to you in the future", it's "we should all try to make the world a better place because we have to live in it."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It's not about what Mulder and Scully did. It's about what everyone is doing. Mulder and Scully just happened to suffer the consequences of humanity's actions. It doesn't matter if you personally are nice if everyone else is poo poo, because the future will still be poo poo. The robot wasn't harassing Mulder because Mulder taught it to do that. It was harassing Mulder because humanity taught it to do that. The point isn't "be nice to the robots so they'll be nice to you in the future", it's "we should all try to make the world a better place because we have to live in it."

Okay but that technology doesn't just happen like a force of nature - somebody made it and their presence is utterly deleted from the episode. That person is the one who bares responsibility for a robot that tries to kill people, not the people who 'taught' this robot that it's okay to harass others for their lack of generosity.

Really the episode relies on me to fill in gaps in the plot because it wants me to fill in those gaps with my own fears and assumptions, and I don't have the same fears and assumptions the episode wants me to have.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

That episode was amazing. It started as a "technology is bad" thing, but very quickly subverted that to "technology is like raising children - you have to do it right", which is a much more accurate message. The horror doesn't come from the robots themselves, it's from the idea that we built robots and then proceeded to gently caress them up with our own hatred and anger. So now we've created a world that should be a utopia, but it has all the same issues we deal with now because we imprinted it on our technology.

The scene where Mulder came back to the Sushi restaurant and saw those red lights in the kitchen looking out at him? That was legitimately creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

A lot of posts mentioning Black Mirror but exactly zero mentioning Maximum Overdrive?

Sorry but like Stephen King I was on too much coke at the time of Maximum Overdrive to remember it.

• Locked thread