Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Huh, my Swiss friend calls where she's from a state, I just always assumed that was her translating to American terms and not the actual term they use in Switzerland.

e: Ugh, bad page start, have an old classic:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deltasquid posted:

I think the word "state" might be derived from "estate", as in, "the estates-general" of a country.

The way I was taught, there are three different concepts that tend to be confused:
  • The country is the territory
  • The nation is the people
  • The state is the instrument in which the people organize themselves to manage the territory

But sometimes, things just don't make sense. Like the United States form a federal state made out of federal states, and they have a Department of State (singular) which isn't about the state, but about all the other states.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Incidentally we also say “the united nations is” in american english nowadays.

In French, Spanish, and Russian it's "organization of the united nations" which makes it simpler to be grammatically correct because you can use either the long form "the united nations organization is" or the abbreviated form "the united nations are". It's actually kinda odd that this "organization" part is missing from English.

Anyways, here's a stupid map:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Department of State makes sense to me as Department of State(hood)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Huh, my Swiss friend calls where she's from a state, I just always assumed that was her translating to American terms and not the actual term they use in Switzerland.

Yeah, I've never heard of them called states even translated into English. On that note, my wife got me an old geography book (1842, Malte Brun's "Geographie Universelle", third edition and been looking for others) for my birthday last year and it was fascinating. We were both shocked to learn that Neuchatel was under the nominal control of the king of Prussia. That said, it looks like it was only in name, as "The prince only enjoys the revenue from the domains that he possesses and a few former contributions which are regulated and that cannot be increased. The inhabitants, free in all senses of the word, have neither customs nor forced military service. The justice is also not in the name of the king of Prussia." On a related note, they are all referred to as "cantons".

The maps in it are all fun, e.g. this one of France is interesting, e.g. Savoy is independent.

And this "map" of the tallest mountains is also interesting. I was surprised at how bad it was, like maybe some places were not known yet like Mount Kilimanjaro or Mount Kenya, but somehow they did know about Rwenzori (Mt de la Lune). Mount Cameroon and Damavand are two strange omissions since they should have known about both and roughly how tall they were. Puncak Jaya is missing too even though it would've been known about since it's obvious from the ocean, but maybe they just had no idea about how tall it was for some reason. This is the third edition of the book, so any "oops missed that" should've been ironed out, you'd think.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Let's spice it up a bit shall we?

https://onehellofabird.deviantart.com/art/Old-World-languages-and-cities-3000-BC-407150252

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mano posted:

But the situation during the HRE was complicated anyway concerning statehood.

Any excuse to post a map of the HRE from like, any date(in this case, 1400)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Paradox game jargon, this is called "border gore".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

In Paradox game jargon, this is called "border gore".

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=684459310

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Saladman posted:

Yeah, I've never heard of them called states even translated into English. On that note, my wife got me an old geography book (1842, Malte Brun's "Geographie Universelle", third edition and been looking for others) for my birthday last year and it was fascinating. We were both shocked to learn that Neuchatel was under the nominal control of the king of Prussia. That said, it looks like it was only in name, as "The prince only enjoys the revenue from the domains that he possesses and a few former contributions which are regulated and that cannot be increased. The inhabitants, free in all senses of the word, have neither customs nor forced military service. The justice is also not in the name of the king of Prussia." On a related note, they are all referred to as "cantons".

The maps in it are all fun, e.g. this one of France is interesting, e.g. Savoy is independent.

And this "map" of the tallest mountains is also interesting. I was surprised at how bad it was, like maybe some places were not known yet like Mount Kilimanjaro or Mount Kenya, but somehow they did know about Rwenzori (Mt de la Lune). Mount Cameroon and Damavand are two strange omissions since they should have known about both and roughly how tall they were. Puncak Jaya is missing too even though it would've been known about since it's obvious from the ocean, but maybe they just had no idea about how tall it was for some reason. This is the third edition of the book, so any "oops missed that" should've been ironed out, you'd think.

1842 is smack in the middle of the age when the first triangulation surveys of the earth were being conducted, so many of the peaks had probably never been measured accurately before. The Great Trigonometric Survey of India only reached the Himalayas in the next decade, I believe, and all previous attempts to determine their height were flawed in various ways.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Saladman posted:

Not independent, part of the Kingdom of Sardinia. It even says "états sardes" .

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jaguars! posted:

1842 is smack in the middle of the age when the first triangulation surveys of the earth were being conducted, so many of the peaks had probably never been measured accurately before. The Great Trigonometric Survey of India only reached the Himalayas in the next decade, I believe, and all previous attempts to determine their height were flawed in various ways.
1842 was certainly late enough to include the Rocky Mountains, unless those are on another page.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Woaaah there, map, slow down!

That's a lot of assumptions in one map. It's fun though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgeXd5kRDg

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Do not steal a Dutchman's bike.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's the kind of question where the responses are only useful if you're interested in measuring the relative strength of social desirability bias.

I doubt there are huge differences in reality, the Dutch just say whatever they like, whenever they like, without giving a gently caress what anyone else thinks. I'm not surprised at this result.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, well, some of us use soap only if it's a poop so

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Before is the more interesting question.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do not steal a Dutchman's bike.

europemighthaveuhcbutjesusidonttrustthemtoremainniceeuropeandnotreverttoogimperialismeurope.jpg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grevling posted:

thats ethically and biologically disgusting

do you think that microorganisms can't move
?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The former Ottoman Empire is pretty clean.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Norwegians have no hands.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lycus posted:

Islam has toilet etiquette built in, so lazy Muslims have a lot of other stuff to drop before deciding to also not wash their hands.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the real reason that Europeans are terrified of sharia law.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Grevling posted:

Dude... please wash your hands after touching your dick.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my dick is clean

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also before touching your dick.

You (hopefully) know what your dick has touched all day, but you don't know what your hands have touched.

About 1/5th of pinkeye infections are caused by chlamydia. Someone with pinkeye rubs their eye, shakes your hand, you touch your dick, that could work out badly for you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That's the real reason that Europeans are terrified of sharia law.
Consider this: All the Muslims in the Netherlands have a near 100% handwashing rate, meaning the native Dutch are actually even dirtier than the map lets on. I think you're right, that's the real cultural clash.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Cable Guy posted:

Dude... please wash your hands after touching your dick.

Dicks are usually cleaner than hands.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Kurtofan posted:

my dick is clean
Yeah... you think so.

It's not.

No really... It's not.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

True.

The only thing I really use my penis for is opening doors, sorting small change, and stamping wax seals.

Can't get too dirty from that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"At Harrow, they taught us not to piss on our hands."
- Winston Churchill
:britain::britain::britain:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I recall reading somewhere that washing your hands a couple of times a day is a good idea anyway so after pissing is as good a time as any since there's a sink right there. If I had a map illustrating this concept I suppose this is where I'd be posting it but welp.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unkempt posted:

I recall reading somewhere that washing your hands a couple of times a day is a good idea anyway so after pissing is as good a time as any since there's a sink right there. If I had a map illustrating this concept I suppose this is where I'd be posting it but welp.

In general, people nowadays are too hygiene-conscious and that's why so many have all sorts of weird allergies and respiratory diseases, and the immune system of a frail 90-year-old. However, yes, washing your hands is the one exception and we could stand to do it more often on average.

@ButteryPastry: my OCD hygiene freak coworker is muslim, so it checks out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

In general, people nowadays are too hygiene-conscious and that's why so many have all sorts of weird allergies and respiratory diseases, and the immune system of a frail 90-year-old.

It's often suggested as an explanation; but I believe pollution is a bigger culprit here. All the suspended particulate matter wreck havoc on people's lungs.

Also all your food is pumped full of poisons.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Autoimmune diseases are caused by overly sterile environments. The immune system flips the gently caress out over some harmless foreign body because it's not used to them.
That's why they mainly affect people in rich countries.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I avoid autoimmune disorders by eating every third meal directly off the floor of a dive bar bathroom using used syringes as chopsticks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember goons, never wash your hands because handwashing is the number one disease vector in first world countries

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lycus posted:

The Byzantine Empire also continued the Roman tradition of bathing, eating with forks instead of your hands, and wearing deodorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Byzantine posted:

wearing deodorant.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/28/hate-body-odour-youre-more-likely-to-have-rightwing-views