Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Ruzihm posted:

I noticed that the jumping puzzle also goes all the way down to the bright wizard's bed, which you can access via a jump to the ladder from the spoils of war dais.

This is kind of a leap (ha) but I wonder if you have to hit the hourglass then get onto the jumping puzzle section before it runs out and then get all the way to the top without hitting the floor. It's probably not in yet, but maybe it'll be an acheivement or something.

Hmm. Maybe. There's not enough time to do the whole thing in the time of the hourglass but you can certainly start it before it runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, just like VT1, despite liking Kruber and Bardin more, I'm still oddly better with Saltzpyre. Must be the attack speed on the rapier, plus the pistols.

I feel like I'm struggling with how to fight in VT2 though, I don't why. I'm trying to stick to the old pattern of "attack, attack, block, push, repeat" but I still get tagged by dudes that aren't even flanking me. I suppose it's because I'm forgetting to dodge after the push most of the time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, just like VT1, despite liking Kruber and Bardin more, I'm still oddly better with Saltzpyre. Must be the attack speed on the rapier, plus the pistols.

I feel like I'm struggling with how to fight in VT2 though, I don't why. I'm trying to stick to the old pattern of "attack, attack, block, push, repeat" but I still get tagged by dudes that aren't even flanking me. I suppose it's because I'm forgetting to dodge after the push most of the time.

Also, pushing has changed a lot and many attacks take more stamina per hit than they did in 1, so you might expect your push to affect more people than it does. I've been having the same problem.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I like the Bright Wizard, because I like the idea of ranged crowd control. She's got that in spades. Flame river staff is best staff.

Anyone have the definitive word on what gear power level does? My experiments with target dummies tell me that higher gear score gets you higher damage, but does it affect anything else?

Elpato fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it seems like debating the strength or weakness of any particular character in the meta of this game is kind of nebulous when so much of it is tied to "what number is attached to the weapon you're using?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ignite Memories posted:

Illusions confuse me. I got an axe with "illusion" that looks exactly the goddamn same as my other axe without illusion.

You remove the Illusion from the Axe and put it on a different weapon.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You remove the Illusion from the Axe and put it on a different weapon.

It's just bugged. There's a lot of skins not changing anything right now.

toasterwarrior posted:

Chaos is a primary concern for gameplay because they always slide around and hit people well out of range. Dodging is often useless against them even as host because they're still hitting players while facing other directions during side dashes, and of course trying to get away from them is pointless.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

comatose posted:

As someone who hated the loot system from vt1, the new loot system is both different and better.

How likely am I going to want to gut my friends for insisting on playing on the same loving map over and over and over and ffffffuuuu-... :argh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lunethex posted:

Chaos is a primary concern for gameplay because they always slide around and hit people well out of range. Dodging is often useless against them even as host because they're still hitting players while facing other directions during side dashes, and of course trying to get away from them is pointless.

I'm not noticing this at all when hosting or playing with a host that is close by.

However, when I'm connected to a crappy/laggy host it pretty much ALWAYS happens.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Thyrork posted:

How likely am I going to want to gut my friends for insisting on playing on the same loving map over and over and over and ffffffuuuu-... :argh:

Unlikely because there's a bonus to loot for playing on a random map, and tomes/grims aren't quite as necessary for loot as they used to be.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seems like getting all 3 tomes guarantees a level on the lootbox and grimoires are worth...3/4ths of a bar each? they seemed to give a bar and a half total last time i got both and was paying attention. they're definitely needed to get to the highest ranks of box, but, to be frank, the actual quality of the poo poo in them almost seems like it's barely even tied to the rank of the box anyways

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm not noticing this at all when hosting or playing with a host that is close by.

However, when I'm connected to a crappy/laggy host it pretty much ALWAYS happens.

it's definitely a thing. even when hosting, marauders will slide up to you very often and dash-attack. chaos savages also do this a TON, way more than plague monks.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it seems like getting all 3 tomes guarantees a level on the lootbox and grimoires are worth...3/4ths of a bar each? they seemed to give a bar and a half total last time i got both and was paying attention. they're definitely needed to get to the highest ranks of box, but, to be frank, the actual quality of the poo poo in them almost seems like it's barely even tied to the rank of the box anyways

yeah i've noticed this as well. my only orange so far came out of a merchant's strongbox and the general's i get really don't seem to be sufficiently different than the crappy boxes. i haven't opened any emperor's yet just because i'm suspicious that the box quality is bugged right now and i'm waiting to see if a fix shows up.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

it's definitely a thing. even when hosting, marauders will slide up to you very often and dash-attack. chaos savages also do this a TON, way more than plague monks.

Oh. Strange. Only thing I've really noticed is a sort of "vortex" effect on certain attacks where you're almost drawn into the attack animation of an enemy that makes it hard to get away even when dashing backwards. I'll keep an eye on it some more.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Atoramos posted:

Unlikely because there's a bonus to loot for playing on a random map, and tomes/grims aren't quite as necessary for loot as they used to be.

Without knowing numbers for what comes out of each box it’s hard to say, but as for what box you get, tomes and grimoires are much more important than the last game since fatshark reduced the amount of bar you can get from the random bonus and increased what the books get you, and every tome has a guaranteed effect on the bar instead of just increasing your odds of rolling higher like the first game does. In the long run this will be a really good thing since bringing home the full library will guarantee more than it did in the last game—although what’s in the box itself is another matter

This part of the loot system is a whole lot nicer than the last game. overall it’s a lot worse in terms of how loot in general relates to “progression” but idk if that’s what the question meant

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget to keep crafting gear. You get really good stuff that way as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit I'm really much fonder of 'I can choose who this gear will be for' than before.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there's a bug with the upgrade option in the crafting screen because i put a green axe with an illusion in it into the upgrade spot and spent the scrap but all it did was spit out the illusion and the weapon separately, which is something the next page over on the crafting thing is supposed to do

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Got an emperor’s lootbox but it was only my third game ever so it just gave me a green neckace.

:smith:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm trying to learn how to slayer because it's a lot of fun jumping about the place and guzzling all the speed pots to turn into a blender but sword and dagger elf always seems to pull ahead on melee kills and it makes me feel bad.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Someone asked upthread why they can't see half of their items in the crafting screen and I'm not sure if they got a response.

It's because things that are equipped by any of the characters won't show up. Every time you want to do a big round of salvage you have yo hop between all your dudes and give them the highest level trinkets.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zhulik posted:

Someone asked upthread why they can't see half of their items in the crafting screen and I'm not sure if they got a response.

It's because things that are equipped by any of the characters won't show up. Every time you want to do a big round of salvage you have yo hop between all your dudes and give them the highest level trinkets.

Also the 'basic' version of each item seems to function as a template or placeholder, so you can't rid of those initial 5 power items.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Also the 'basic' version of each item seems to function as a template or placeholder, so you can't rid of those initial 5 power items.

This is pretty key for crafting, and I didn't pick up on it at first. When the crafting screen called for a blueprint I didn't initially make the connection that those were the power level 5 weapons. They make it easy to get a level-appropriate weapon if the loot boxes don't treat you kindly - it's how I finally got a spear for the elf (my favorite of the new weapons so far).

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gods help me i love the fukken elf.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Gejnor posted:

:same:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Gejnor posted:

Yeah I had the perceived indignity of basically being forced to play the elf in my group games, but by god once I got the sword and dagger, then the dual swords, I was blending fuckers up, and the regen is actually hilariously good even on veteran. Not sure how I feel about her ranged options, but that’s because I prefer hitscan ranged options in this game.

Now that my elf is my highest level character at 6, anyone know what should I expect from the handmaiden class when I unlock her? From what I read she seems even more spastic and mobile.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Elf is fine its just stereotypically played by the most oblivious and least cooperative motherfuckers on earth. If you're playing elf and you're not like that, you're Good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in overwatch we call elfs "genji mains"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ah, that's why they gave her the healing passive.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

Elf is fine its just stereotypically played by the most oblivious and least cooperative motherfuckers on earth. If you're playing elf and you're not like that, you're Good.

I love how i can carry a healing item for other people since i most likely won't need it :shobon:

That and i can be slightly more reckless since i CANNOT loving DIE.

I've never truly strayed away from my team though so not that kind of recklessness, more like i can commit myself to the blender that is spear/wardancer sword.

The active ability is insane too, with the whole "oh hey i see 2-3 specia- *blue arrows* Nevermind."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A well played elf is one of the most helpful things a team can have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only played like 10-15 hours of V1 with some friends, so I'm definitely a Vermintide newbie. Got to play V2 a bit with some Goons last night and had a great time. Ended up with Saltzpyre and got to level 5. It seems like his rapier is the easiest to get comfortable with. I still feel a bit lost and constantly overwhelmed, but the Goons I was playing with were helpful and good sports. I think the rest just comes with practice. Oh yeah, and remembering that dodge is a thing.

I'm having a ton of fun with V2 so far and I like the improvements, especially with the loot system. I felt like I was getting 2 loot boxes a run and each loot box had 3 items in it. That's a hell of a lot better than the 1 item in V1 and I like that it seems somewhat less left to chance with the dice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just got Kruber’s two handed hammer and it’s awesome for both CC and clowning chaos warriors.

All the flying rats.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ironically marauders are the warhammer's weak point

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's Ranald's gift?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

fadam posted:

What's Ranald's gift?

A literal diceroll.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I cant stop using the halberd on ole kruber, the combination of wide sweeps and long pokes are extremly my poo poo. I just wish some more +attackspeed / +crit items would drop to really make it a rat/football fan blender.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Speaking of dice, are the loot dice you find in chests random? I don't mean placed in random chests but is it random if they show up at all on the map?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Jimbot posted:

Speaking of dice, are the loot dice you find in chests random? I don't mean placed in random chests but is it random if they show up at all on the map?

I believe so, though I think they also have a high chance of being dropped by a loot rat.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jimbot posted:

yep

sack rats drop them too sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I wish I could buy this game direct from Fatshark and not have 30% of the price go towards an(other) diamond armchair for Gabe

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 2, 2018

• Locked thread