Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Didn't horizon's dev go kind of crazy with adding superfluous poo poo to the mod after 1.0? I've been out of the loop on fo4 modding. FROST seems like the perfect mod for Fallout 4. Rip out all the story entirely, it's the logical end point of Bethesda games at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Just spent the last 4 days modding FO4 and Bethesda updates the game. Thankfully auto backup exe is a mod.

But I think I broke something because the Vault-Tec doctor will say "come with me this way" but won't actually walk down the hallway. The first time I actually made it into the cryo chamber but the freeze never came. I could look around though. Also I couldn't assign any special points but I think that was by design.

:fixed, it was Nuclear Perks Rutherfordium-254 Edition

slowm fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 1, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

CascadeBeta posted:

Didn't horizon's dev go kind of crazy with adding superfluous poo poo to the mod after 1.0? I've been out of the loop on fo4 modding. FROST seems like the perfect mod for Fallout 4. Rip out all the story entirely, it's the logical end point of Bethesda games at this point.

Yes, depending on your definition of "superfluous". I think the vast majority of the features introduced are improvements, (thoghg they can be a bit clunkily implemented), but one way or another it's definitely ballooned into more of an expansion pack than just an overhaul.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I spent forever wondering why all my melon farms weren't creating melons for me to put on other farms and discovered days later they were being put into the resource management table instead of the regular shared workshop resources. It can be easy to lose track of all the things Horizon does.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

My apologies if it’s been posted before, but is there a guide on all of the content in Horizon/how to implement it? It seems like a fun mod, but I’d like to have a reference point if I’m unsure of something.

Terrorforge posted:

Unfortunately not. horse mans built a little reference site that collated a lot of the scattered data which I thought was linked somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it at the moment.

Here's my page that collates all of the official documentation. It's all searchable and easy to go through. http://horsemans.online/horizon_docs/ More improvements coming.

Here's my post that helps provide some really basic starting out information. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393&userid=175909&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post479424858 And I'm always available in this thread and on Twitch to answer questions.

Finally, Horizon has a lot of in-game documentation. To get a sense of what's possible, build the following things, and read through every crafting item and utility page in them (in order of importance):

- Tech Lab
- Resource Manager
- Cargo Bot Station
- Farming Workbench
- Command Table
- Mailbox
- ZX-1 Experimentation Lab

That'll give you the gist of what's possible.

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm going to continue defending Horizon because I've probably put about 300 hours into Fallout + Horizon, and I consider it critical to every playthrough. I don't think any of what the author is doing is superfluous. The systems are complicated, but they have an internal consistency and every single feature provides a unique advantage to the player. In my current playthrough, with Horizon on the hardest mode and difficulty, and extra spawns, and zombies attacking my settlements 24/7, I take advantage of every single system to make victory possible.

I liken it to Tekkit pack in Minecraft. Yeah, there's a bunch of poo poo there. Nuclear reactors, macerators, more enemies, all these unique interconnecting wiring systems and resource gathering systems and on and on. And if you're playing on an easier difficulty, then yeah, they are largely superfluous, in that they aren't critical to victory. But when you start hitting resource constraints, losing ammo, losing health, getting infected, and the game difficulty is much harder, then these systems save your life.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

It's been said before, but IMO Horizon's only serious problem is poor documentation/UX. The systems themselves are well-designed, but it's hard to figure them out without reading two years worth of patch notes and playing for a few hundred hours.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/30162

I speak Japanese only

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ahahahahaha required for my next restart

Time to rip a ton of audio from BL/BL2 and wedge it in there somehow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I added that guys monster pack to Horizon and those beasts get you in melee and you are toast. Not sure it's balanced but they certainly spice things up.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014

What mod are you using for zombie attacks?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

What mod are you using for zombie attacks?

The excellent (and mostly stable) Zombie Walkers. For maximum fun I suggest enabling Mortal NPCs and Settlers, and allowing Zombies to turn essential and protected characters, increasing the max settlement attack size to 30, and increasing the chance of settlement attacks to 20% for hour. I also suggest the use of Locksmith to create barricades that won't allow your settlers to go out and get themselves killed.

This is especially fun with the new Sim Settlements because you can't just build turrets and be on your way; each turret and power source has a maintenance cost in caps equivalent to the amount of power or defense they provide, and if you don't have enough money in your coffers, they will break down and require repair.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How do you get anywhere? Do you just make a settlement, protect it as long as you need it, then abandon it to the hordes when it's time to do stuff in another part of the map? I'm at 22 settlements now and I'm constantly ignoring calls for help (thankfully they can win without me most of the time).

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

How do you get anywhere? Do you just make a settlement, protect it as long as you need it, then abandon it to the hordes when it's time to do stuff in another part of the map? I'm at 22 settlements now and I'm constantly ignoring calls for help (thankfully they can win without me most of the time).

I am very careful about spreading out, because there are actual consequences for doing so. For example, one of the first things I do is take Covenant via the Compound. In my last game, I left before setting up proper defenses (all the original turrets had been destroyed by a sentry bot), and the next time I came around they were in the midst of a zombie attack. Every single person was killed. That's a huge setback because of how long recruiting takes. It means I lost whatever crops they were working on for several days, anyone doing settler missions, I don't get any Sim Settlement taxes for that cycle, etc.

So I grow incredibly slowly. I use Cargo Bot supply lines so that I don't have Provisioners out in the field. I wall off each settlement immediately and build up as much as possible to keep their footprint small. I try not to expand to a new settlement until I'm sure the last one can fend for itself, and is producing some kind of useful resources for me. I don't find myself having to wait in a holding pattern in a settlement often. I can usually go and do something else, like taking a dungeon. I can't really abandon settlements because of how much I rely on them for producing food, water, settler experience, and increasing my Architect perk level. So I'm just incredibly patient :-)

Also keep in mind, zombies in Zombie Walkers, by default, move incredibly slowly. Shooting at them is usually a huge waste of ammo, so I just give them a wide berth.

What I want is the ability for zombies to climb over walls or break them down. That would be the best loving thing.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The description page for Zombie Walkers makes it sound like the attacks only happen when you're in the settlement, is that right? Or is it like regular settlement attacks where you get a notification and if you don't do something about it there's a diceroll to determine how it worked out.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

The description page for Zombie Walkers makes it sound like the attacks only happen when you're in the settlement, is that right? Or is it like regular settlement attacks where you get a notification and if you don't do something about it there's a diceroll to determine how it worked out.

I've gotten two kinds of notifications from settlements I'm not near. The first is just a top-left message saying "Zombies are attacking Sanctuary!". The second is an interstitial which I think comes from Horizon and says you've received an incoming transmission that a settlement is being attacked by raiders/super mutants/ferals. I don't know what the gameplay mechanics of those are, or if Zombie Walkers affects them.

For ZW specifically, there's an X% chance of zombies attacking a settlement when you're in it. There's a (much smaller) X% chance of zombies interrupting your sleep when sleeping in a settlement. But there are also arbitrary random spawns, and with the new horde behavior, large packs of zombies may eventually roam over to a settlement if you're within a couple cells' distance, which I think will get played out in full by the game as if you were right there.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Anyone try Resurrection?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

What I've seen pretty consistanlty, in both my vanilla run and this modded playthough, is that even smaller defensive efforts can stomp attacks with your help. Twice I've fast-travelled to Sanctuary and found an unannounced Gunner raid, and both times I only had to participate because I have ICP (Idiot Commonwealth People) who live by "flanks, how do they work?". I don't have poo poo for defenses, either, othen than one row of MG turrets on the roof of the workbench house, a row of laser turrets across the street on my old house protecting the generators, two dogs and three scattered (and badly placed) defense plots from Sim Settlements.

Clearing Hub Auto Wreckers a few days ago, I hear a bigass firefight over near Finch Farm. I finish whacking Gunners, free the hostage, and hoof over... to find about 12 dead Raiders, including three in power armor, and no visible damage whatsoever. :iiam:

Starlite Drive-In is a wonderful place to watch attacks. Multiple flak towers (round concrete wall section and florrs, 2 stories tall, with four heavy lasers per), 80% robot population with (mostly) laser gatlings. :getin: I managed to put a break room and the caravan station right on top of a spawn point, I guess, and there seems to be a high probability of two caravans at once, so... :unsmigghh:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

horse mans posted:

I've gotten two kinds of notifications from settlements I'm not near. The first is just a top-left message saying "Zombies are attacking Sanctuary!". The second is an interstitial which I think comes from Horizon and says you've received an incoming transmission that a settlement is being attacked by raiders/super mutants/ferals. I don't know what the gameplay mechanics of those are, or if Zombie Walkers affects them.

For ZW specifically, there's an X% chance of zombies attacking a settlement when you're in it. There's a (much smaller) X% chance of zombies interrupting your sleep when sleeping in a settlement. But there are also arbitrary random spawns, and with the new horde behavior, large packs of zombies may eventually roam over to a settlement if you're within a couple cells' distance, which I think will get played out in full by the game as if you were right there.

Wait. Can settlers die if you aren't there? I mean I presume they can in the arbitrary random spawn scenario you describe, but they wouldn't with the standard settlement attack system, right? What specific mortal settlers mod are you using, anyway? Actually if you'd kindly post your current modwat.ch thing it would probably save me a lot of questions.

Because your setup does sound like more or less the thing I've been looking for, but I'm a little concerned about certain details. I enjoy the idea of actually having to set up defenses, but I'm not enthused about having to manually wall in every drat settlement.

You wouldn't happen to know if friendly NPCs can damage each other with splash weapons? I wouldn't want to put down a rocket tower and accidentally kill all my settlers.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Twice I've fast-travelled to Sanctuary and found an unannounced Gunner raid, and both times I only had to participate because I have ICP (Idiot Commonwealth People) who live by "flanks, how do they work?".

Juggalo mod when

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

So I've been doing a rise of the commonwealth playthrough, and have gotten real frustrated with how the leaders have handled the settlements. Is it possible to take over and place plots and assign people in the cities and still have them upgrade and look cool?

edit: Also some of the cities are designed terribly, why do some of them on level zero have like 30 water? There's no way with the maintenance fees to have a reasonable amount of defense.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

slowm posted:

Anyone try Resurrection?

Yeah, I don't recommend it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Namaer posted:

So I've been doing a rise of the commonwealth playthrough, and have gotten real frustrated with how the leaders have handled the settlements. Is it possible to take over and place plots and assign people in the cities and still have them upgrade and look cool?

edit: Also some of the cities are designed terribly, why do some of them on level zero have like 30 water? There's no way with the maintenance fees to have a reasonable amount of defense.

Most of the RotC settlements are designed to complement each other, so you'll have to establish a real network of caravans to make them all work. Between Abernathy, Sunshine Tidings, and Graygarden, even just the early part of the map will keep your network fed and watered fairly well.

That said, if your beef is with the city designs...well, that's the first set of settlement designs that kinggath and team made. I like them but I can understand why some of them may be rather meh. Thankfully, because kinggath is a drat good designer, he intends to allow modders to create their own city designs eventually and integrate them into the mod through add-on packs, just like he did for plot designs. Just give the community time, or if you're up for it, do the city planning yourself just like old times.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Think the new SS patch today lets you do your own designs

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm trying a new playthrough without using the cities, just using plots and what not, we'll see how that goes. I got the logistics station mod and it's pretty nice, works very effortlessly. I found a mod called VAFS that gives you an option to use AP for bullet time, with crits and perks integrated. Not sure if anyone else if familiar with it but it seems fun so far. Those t-shirts that came out on creation club today are really nice looking but the apparently use up leg armor slots which is not ideal. Also auto loot owns hard.

edit: the jeans and the boots that come with the red rocket shirt I found are really detailed and nice looking.

Namaer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 2, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Not exactly a modding question but I am looking to update my video card and would also like to turn all this game's settings to max, coupled with some of the visual overhauls. What is a good card to target if it want (something close to) the most pretty out of the game? I see youtubers saying some of the graphic overhauls give them fps hits on 1080's so nothing's perfect, but I am wondering what I should aim for.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Not exactly a modding question but I am looking to update my video card and would also like to turn all this game's settings to max, coupled with some of the visual overhauls. What is a good card to target if it want (something close to) the most pretty out of the game? I see youtubers saying some of the graphic overhauls give them fps hits on 1080's so nothing's perfect, but I am wondering what I should aim for.

What's your budget, monitor resolution, geographical location, current GPU and current CPU?

Now is a bad time to buy new cards though. The market has some pretty crazy demand saturation and prices are way up thanks to Cryptocurrencies.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

Juggalo Gwar mod when

I still like the idea of randomly finding members of Gwar out in the Wasteland, having taken over some little out-of-the-way spot (and turning it into something that makes a Disciples stronghold look like MLP land), and you have to convince them to get the band back together again. Like all companions, the have special affinity quests (retrieve and help smoke the Giant Crack Rock, defeat and devour the kaiju-sized Rabid Brahmins), which, once completed, will allow them to re-home at the now-upgradable Combat Zone.

Once they're all together, you can buy and sell merch, hang out and party (with associated and concurent buffs and debuffs), and get utterly psychopathic radiant quests. (Kill 50 Gunners with a chainsaw, while naked. Quest reward: autographed T-shirt.) Equip the Foam Broadsword of Oderous (inbuilt Big League and Bloody Mess perks) and go bring back Deathclaw Steaks for everyone! :black101:

It is conceivable that I am kind of hosed up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

What's your budget, monitor resolution, geographical location, current GPU and current CPU?

Now is a bad time to buy new cards though. The market has some pretty crazy demand saturation and prices are way up thanks to Cryptocurrencies.

Yeah. I was planning to upgrade last year and then had to make repairs on my bathroom, and then in bitcoin miners went berserk.

Currently have a gtx 660, and I'm hoping I can get away without spending more than 700, ideally less. Have to check the stats on the monitor and CPU when I get home.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Alright, looks like my reading comprehension is rusty, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to install/in what order for DEF_UI/INV and Valdacil's Item Sorting to play nice.

For DEF_UI, do I select Install Component Tags or Use Sorting Mod Component Tags? For the sorting tags, do I select the VIS tags or "I already have sorting xml files"?

For VIS, do I need to Customize or am I fine with picking one of Val's Picks? I figure I choose DEF_INV All when given the chance.

I've tried so many permutations of modules and install orders that I've lost track of what I've tried and my head is starting to spin. Just gotta keep reminding myself that I love this game.

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Alright, looks like my reading comprehension is rusty, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to install/in what order for DEF_UI/INV and Valdacil's Item Sorting to play nice.

For DEF_UI, do I select Install Component Tags or Use Sorting Mod Component Tags? For the sorting tags, do I select the VIS tags or "I already have sorting xml files"?

For VIS, do I need to Customize or am I fine with picking one of Val's Picks? I figure I choose DEF_INV All when given the chance.

I've tried so many permutations of modules and install orders that I've lost track of what I've tried and my head is starting to spin. Just gotta keep reminding myself that I love this game.

I always forget this too, and use this as reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzGu4Cm2VQ&t=549s - its VIS first then DEF UI

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I still like the idea of randomly finding members of Gwar out in the Wasteland, having taken over some little out-of-the-way spot (and turning it into something that makes a Disciples stronghold look like MLP land), and you have to convince them to get the band back together again. Like all companions, the have special affinity quests (retrieve and help smoke the Giant Crack Rock, defeat and devour the kaiju-sized Rabid Brahmins), which, once completed, will allow them to re-home at the now-upgradable Combat Zone.

Once they're all together, you can buy and sell merch, hang out and party (with associated and concurent buffs and debuffs), and get utterly psychopathic radiant quests. (Kill 50 Gunners with a chainsaw, while naked. Quest reward: autographed T-shirt.) Equip the Foam Broadsword of Oderous (inbuilt Big League and Bloody Mess perks) and go bring back Deathclaw Steaks for everyone! :black101:

It is conceivable that I am kind of hosed up.

No that actually sounds like way more fun than any quest in the actual game, and is substantially less ridiculous than the assumption that I'm going to give a rat's rear end about Normalman McProtagonist and his procedurally generated baby.

That chainsaw thing really makes me miss the NV challenges, too. There's a mod for FO4, but it's a broken piece of poo poo and doesn't even have any of the actually interesting ones. "Cripple X enemy torsos" is all well and good but it'll never match up to "re-enact the Lincoln assassination" or "Kill X Deathclaws using only a switchblade and however much dynamite you can get your hands on"

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

Wait. Can settlers die if you aren't there? I mean I presume they can in the arbitrary random spawn scenario you describe, but they wouldn't with the standard settlement attack system, right? What specific mortal settlers mod are you using, anyway? Actually if you'd kindly post your current modwat.ch thing it would probably save me a lot of questions.

Because your setup does sound like more or less the thing I've been looking for, but I'm a little concerned about certain details. I enjoy the idea of actually having to set up defenses, but I'm not enthused about having to manually wall in every drat settlement.

You wouldn't happen to know if friendly NPCs can damage each other with splash weapons? I wouldn't want to put down a rocket tower and accidentally kill all my settlers.

Juggalo mod when

I had know idea modwat.ch existed! Here you go: https://modwat.ch/u/horsemans/plugins

As for when settlers actually die, I don't know, to be honest. I could swear I've come back to settlements with lower populations than when I left but I can't be positive.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

horse mans posted:

I had know idea modwat.ch existed! Here you go: https://modwat.ch/u/horsemans/plugins

As for when settlers actually die, I don't know, to be honest. I could swear I've come back to settlements with lower populations than when I left but I can't be positive.

IIRC, in vanilla if your happiness drops enough, settlers will wander off never to be seen again, along with all that gear you carefully selected and improved. :argh: Doesn't seem to happen with the original inhabitants, though - County Crossing always had the same two dirt-farming idiots, except when one got kidnapped every few days.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

fish fingers posted:

I always forget this too, and use this as reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzGu4Cm2VQ&t=549s - its VIS first then DEF UI

Hmmm, I'm following these directions but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I'm gonna double-check try again later, I'm getting a little burnt out of screwing around in Vault 111.

Should def_inv_scrap come before or after Valdacil? Should I have it at all?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Yeah. I was planning to upgrade last year and then had to make repairs on my bathroom, and then in bitcoin miners went berserk.

Currently have a gtx 660, and I'm hoping I can get away without spending more than 700, ideally less. Have to check the stats on the monitor and CPU when I get home.

Buy an EVGA GTX 1050 or 1060 6GB, new, from EVGA/Amazon/NewEgg. They're around $350 at most and really good cards, and if you got EVGA then you can use their Step-Up program to upgrade to a 1080Ti or whatever the next-gen top tier card is, for the difference in price between what you paid for the original card and the MSRP of the new card.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Honestly, wait six months if you can. But a new generation of graphics cards is coming up fairly soon and $700 then will be able to get you a top of the line 1180 which will probably crush everything thrown at it. Or an 1170 and a nice new monitor.

And unlike the typical market cycle, graphics cards aren't even cheaper than normal right now like they usually are thanks to the mining boom. GTX 1060s launched at around $250, two years ago. I would strongly recommend waiting.

Or, alternatively, buy a 1060 in 4 months. That way you get a good card a bit earlier, and you are more likely to fall within the step up window.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any good clothing/armor mods that put themselves in leveled lists so NPCs will spawn with them? It seems like 90% of the clothing mods out there are the "my super special snowflake PC, craft in the chem station" type. I just want to see more variety in the wasteland.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Elianora's stuff is pretty good and goes into the leveled lists with no added fuss. Ditto the Mercenary outfits from Lord of War.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Can anyone recommend a set of mods that gives you "vanilla Fallout 4, but less lovely"? I don't have any of the DLC, and don't know if I should get any.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I was watching, for a short while, a Twitch streamer play survival and he had a fairly minimal list of mods: These improve the interface and the 'general ambience' (Make night actually dark but makes the Pip-Boy light useful, make sounds better balanced, etc)

code:
01. Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/[/url]
02. Old Style Criticals (Auto Crit) - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6771/[/url]
03. Full Dialogue Interface - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/[/url]
04. DEF_UI - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654/[/url]
05. HUD Plus Plus - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27218/[/url]
06. Valdacil's Item Sorting (Vanilla Weights) - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3877/[/url]
07. Quieter Settlements - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2819/[/url]
08. Darker Nights - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/191/[/url]
09. Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10189/[/url]
10. Radiant Birds - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2397/[/url]
11. Radiant Birds (Less Radiant) - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16296/[/url]
12. Mod Configuration Menu - [url]https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21497/[/url]
13. No More Melee Stagger - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15741/[/url]
14. Pip-Boy Flashlight - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10840/[/url]
15. Improved Map with Visible Roads - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1215/[/url]
16. See-Through Combat Scopes - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9476/[/url]
17. Better Mod Descriptions - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4760/[/url]
18. Respec Holotape - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14977/[/url]
19. Quick Trade - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16229/[/url]
20. True Storms - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4472/[/url]
21. Colorful Survival Icons - [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12809/[/url]

Other adjustments: Depth Of Field and Blur effects disabled. FOV 110. Frames capped at 66.
The Unofficial Patch, Full Dialogue Interface, DEF_UI and Valdacil's Item Sorting are a good start, giving you a few fixes for issues Bethesda haven't tackled themselves, eliminating "HATE NEWSPAPERS" and making the trading windows not suck. Other than that I'd say the new Sim Settlements will make settlements not suck, too, although I haven't had a chance to check out that mod yet.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Zarick posted:

Can anyone recommend a set of mods that gives you "vanilla Fallout 4, but less lovely"? I don't have any of the DLC, and don't know if I should get any.

You're going to have a hard time modding with no DLC, because mods are starting to expect you have all of them now. Most still give DLC-free alternatives but it's getting old enough where modders don't want to bother.

My recs:

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - it's a bethesda game, you need the fan patch
Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth - the best weather/lighting mod IMHO, pretty low impact and JustWorks
DEF_UI - get rid of the console UI
Eli's Armor Compendium - new armor on NPCs that you can loot, more visual variety
Militarized Minuteman - makes the Minutemen (the first faction you support in game if you follow the expected play order) look like post-apocalyptic soldiers, not Revolutionary War cosplayers. Far West Minutemen is another example you could go if you like the whole Fallout New Vegas vibe.
Everyone's Best Friend - there is never a time you should not have Dogmeat along
Start Me Up - if you play the game more than once and get tired of going through the intro (or just be smart and make a save right before leaving the vault I guess!)
Extended Dialog Interface - lets you see what you will say before you say it. Use this instead of Full Dialog Interface, it's newer and uses non-hardcoded text

If you want to go a bit past Vanilla:

Horizon - huge gameplay rework, designed for survival gameplay, changes the game to be a lot more of a survival sandbox. Almost every mod is incompatible with it! (you can usually find patches for the most popular ones)
Sim Settlements - lets settlements build themselves, they look pretty trashy but Fallout NPCs are like that, I guess!