Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I stumbled across a woman while high as gently caress in Joshua Tree playing a violin and it turned out she was in the LA Philharmonic. She was taking requests from people that were all standing around the fire and I requested Last of the Mohicans and she played the whole incredible thing, it went on for like twenty minutes. I cried and I wasn't alone.

That's my Last of the Mohicans story, it's almost as beautiful as that final waterfall scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wandle Cax posted:

I forgot about Mohicans tbh that's a good film. The others in the list are good but don't have the style and depth of Heat and Collateral. Miami Vice is mediocre though, an all style no substance film without his usual flair.

I think I've watched Miami Vice maybe twice as many times as all his other films put together; it's a wonderful hybrid of police procedural and revenge flick, and once again Mann's casting choices are loving prime. Gong Li just knocks it out of the park.

Agreed that Manhunter and Thief can't match the epic scope of Heat, but in terms of style they both hit higher notes. Heat is amazing but it's also a bit of a slog, too, with an air of self-importance that kind of grows old on repeat viewings. Mann's leaner films tend to benefit from repeat viewings.

All in all, saying that Mann only has 2 good films is either a mark of naivete or the mark of someone who isn't interested in what he's pushing. I've always felt that Mann's oeuvre, while decidedly masculine, was both varied and consistent...and one of the strongest filmographies in genre cinema.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

I stumbled across a woman while high as gently caress in Joshua Tree playing a violin and it turned out she was in the LA Philharmonic. She was taking requests from people that were all standing around the fire and I requested Last of the Mohicans and she played the whole incredible thing, it went on for like twenty minutes. I cried and I wasn't alone.

That's my Last of the Mohicans story, it's almost as beautiful as that final waterfall scene.

Would have sounded better on viola

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
You are much better off watching Warren Oates in John Milius' 1973 movie Dilinger, which features Harry Dean Stanton and Richard Dreyfuss as Baby Face Nelson.

If loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYdevwhzPJs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Oh yeah, Promontory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT6DoaTdAGY

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

married but discreet posted:

Y'all need to watch some Manhunter.

STRONG AS I AM
there is something about this thing that haunts me

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think I've watched Miami Vice maybe twice as many times as all his other films put together; it's a wonderful hybrid of police procedural and revenge flick, and once again Mann's casting choices are loving prime. Gong Li just knocks it out of the park.

Agreed that Manhunter and Thief can't match the epic scope of Heat, but in terms of style they both hit higher notes. Heat is amazing but it's also a bit of a slog, too, with an air of self-importance that kind of grows old on repeat viewings. Mann's leaner films tend to benefit from repeat viewings.

All in all, saying that Mann only has 2 good films is either a mark of naivete or the mark of someone who isn't interested in what he's pushing. I've always felt that Mann's oeuvre, while decidedly masculine, was both varied and consistent...and one of the strongest filmographies in genre cinema.

Miami Vice is loving great and I hate it doesn't get the love it deserves. Also this is my semi annual comment on how amazing The Insider is and how goddamned snubbed it got for best picture.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

How was the John Dillinger movie Mann did with Johnny Depp a few years ago?

Extremely bad and horrific looking. Digital filmmaking at its worst.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

STRONG AS I AM
there is something about this thing that haunts me

I mean, yeah, Mann has always worn his soundtrack choices on his sleeve.

Heat and Miami Vice use Moby for gently caress's sake, but it somehow works (even better in MV in my own humble).

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 2, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been binging the original Miami Vice tv series. It's pretty good. You can see Mann's influence (I know he was an executive producer and showrunner on it but don't know if he directed any episodes) very keenly in a few episodes.

That bit from the pilot where Crockett and Tubbs are driving to confront Calderone with "In the Air Tonight" playing and all these loving shots of their Ferrari feels like a Mann touch.

I will probably watch the movie eventually.

Manhunter isn't as good as The Silence of the Lambs (that movie is great) but it's better than any of the other Hannibal movies. Definitely better than the Red Dragon remake with Hopkins as Lecter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Manhunter isn't as good as The Silence of the Lambs (that movie is great) but it's better than any of the other Hannibal movies. Definitely better than the Red Dragon remake with Hopkins as Lecter.

Silence of the Lambs is great but it's a very different, almost alternate take on the source material, and I really feel like Brian Cox is a more compelling Lecter.

That being said, Petersen's version of Will Graham is absolutely unbeatable. <<< spoilers obviously

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been binging the original Miami Vice tv series. It's pretty good. You can see Mann's influence (I know he was an executive producer and showrunner on it but don't know if he directed any episodes) very keenly in a few episodes.

That bit from the pilot where Crockett and Tubbs are driving to confront Calderone with "In the Air Tonight" playing and all these loving shots of their Ferrari feels like a Mann touch.

I will probably watch the movie eventually.

I'm pretty sure the Hannibal tv show version of Will Graham was taken directly from Manhunter.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Hannibal TV show's adaptation of Red Dragon was amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Deakul posted:

The Hannibal TV show's adaptation of Red Dragon was amazing.

I got distracted like a squirrel before getting there. I should finish the season with Eddie Izzard and the rich crazies.

I did think they wasted Lance Henriksen in his one episode, especially considering how much the show owed to Millennium.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure the Hannibal tv show version of Will Graham was taken directly from Manhunter.

The Manhunter section of Hannibal was pretty good, I'll have to rewatch that section sometime. I felt like that show had incredible production values but ended up spinning its wheels a bit too much, and at some point I just lost interest in Hugh Dancy's depiction of Graham...which I guess is the point.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BonoMan posted:

Miami Vice is loving great and I hate it doesn't get the love it deserves. Also this is my semi annual comment on how amazing The Insider is and how goddamned snubbed it got for best picture.

I’m glad someone else loves this movie. It’s amazing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Miami Vice if for no other reason that if you told someone that the same guy created both the 80's TV and the 2006 movie, they likely wouldn't believe you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bows1 posted:

I’m glad someone else loves this movie. It’s amazing

Agreed. I really feel like Miami Vice has some the best, if not the best, acting chemistry in any Mann film, and the supporting cast is great. I think there are even a few people from The Wire in there, too, which was mid-run at the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Miami Vice soundtrack is also super loving good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All aboard the Mann-train.

So, is the director's cut of Manhunter better than the theatrical cut?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, the differences between all the cuts of Manhunter are pretty minor, if I remember correctly. It's less a "seek out one particular cut" situation and more a "watch whatever cut's easily available" one.

e: aren't there like, two or three "director's cuts" that are broadly similar but have little tweaks between them?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Miami Vice soundtrack is also super loving good.

"Auto Rock" is one hell of a tune to end a movie with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFd6k1BHDk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The film has been mismanaged over the decades. I have the limited 2-disc DVD from a while back and I usually watch the theatrical cut, and even it somehow has an added scene or two from what I can tell.

The director's cut (divimax cut) has more added scenes and at least one was cut... but they look bad to the point of distraction. Those scenes already looked out of place on the Director's cut DVD, but they're somehow still in presented in SD on the Bluray.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The film has been mismanaged over the decades. I have the limited 2-disc DVD from a while back and I usually watch the theatrical cut, and even it somehow has an added scene or two from what I can tell.

The director's cut (divimax cut) has more added scenes and at least one was cut... but they look bad to the point of distraction. Those scenes already looked out of place on the Director's cut DVD, but they're somehow still in presented in SD on the Bluray.

yeah part of why I said what I said is that Manhunter's alternate cut situation is loving odd

like, i don't think the actual original theatrical cut has ever been released outside of maybe VHS, pretty much every single version released on disc or streaming is an alternate cut of some form and every version has its own alternate cut with slight differences from what I understand. it's really not worth worrying about, just find a copy somehow and watch it and if something seems janky to you then hunt down a cut that doesn't have that janky bit and rewatch it.

e: yeah, my memory slightly exaggerated the problem but to get the actual OG theatrical cut you have to import a copy from Japan or France and play it on a region-free player. the 2-disc set has a "theatrical cut" that's slightly off and a director's cut, there's single-disc theatrical cuts and director's cuts on DVD that are apparently both slightly different from the ones on the 2-disc set (despite being released by the same company :psyduck:), and apparently the Blu-Ray has its own weirdness with this and then the British releases are their own completely different cut of the movie.

e2: apparently the Scream Factory release is the way to go and has both the original theatrical cut, minus weird changes, and the actual Mann-approved director's cut (rather than, from what I gather, essentially workprint versions on the Anchor Bay discs). but pretty much every release prior to that is going to be weird in some way or another.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 2, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e2: apparently the Scream Factory release is the way to go and has both the original theatrical cut, minus weird changes, and the actual Mann-approved director's cut (rather than, from what I gather, essentially workprint versions on the Anchor Bay discs).

This one, I assume

https://www.amazon.com/Manhunter-Co...+scream+factory

I wonder about this version because the cover is awesome

https://www.amazon.com/Manhunter-Ha...nhunter+blu+ray

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, I think the blu-ray you were referring to is the SF release I'm talking about- the director's cut is apparently a weird HD/upscaled SD hybrid on it because HD elements just straight up weren't available for a lot of the added scenes (which, I assume, is also why it's listed as a special feature and not a main one).

e: also, that version is probably going to be the British cut, not either of the cuts we're familiar with. the change there is minor, but it's a really weird one: it doesn't have any censorship cuts like you'd ordinarily expect for a British version of a violent movie about a serial killer, but it cuts a scene that's just Will and his wife talking to each other, a little under an hour into the movie.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder about this version because the cover is awesome

https://www.amazon.com/Manhunter-Ha...nhunter+blu+ray

That's also the current UK dvd cover.

The previous ones was striking enough in its own right:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Agreed. I really feel like Miami Vice has some the best, if not the best, acting chemistry in any Mann film, and the supporting cast is great. I think there are even a few people from The Wire in there, too, which was mid-run at the time.

Miami Vice and Collateral are my two favorite Mann films; they're just so loving good and atmospheric. The soundtracks on both couldn't be better, either.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bryce Dallas Howard sez Save The Dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX8NZdZ3GMQ

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay but where is the video for people like me who want to hunt and murder the dinosaurs

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Taintrunner posted:

Okay but where is the video for people like me who want to hunt and murder the dinosaurs

Renowned big game hunter Chris Pratt is making it now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hey, are you people fans of Oscar-nominated film Boss Baby? Netflix has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNwOoWnOMw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silence of the Lambs is great but it's a very different, almost alternate take on the source material, and I really feel like Brian Cox is a more compelling Lecter.

That being said, Petersen's version of Will Graham is absolutely unbeatable. <<< spoilers obviously

I know we can't cry for white male actors not making it in Hollywood, but William Peterson was pretty good, at least he got paid doing CSI I guess.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I know we can't cry for white male actors not making it in Hollywood, but William Peterson was pretty good, at least he got paid doing CSI I guess.

William Peterson is so good, and hes the best part of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M0TR47b-UU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

algebra testes posted:

He was fantastic in To Live and Die in LA. One of my favorites.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=6_NeqMAAsBk

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

The MSJ posted:

Hey, are you people fans of Oscar-nominated film Boss Baby? Netflix has you covered.

Is that Will Arnett doing the voice?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The MSJ posted:

I don't understand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones posted:

He was fantastic in To Live and Die in LA. One of my favorites.

One of the three William Friedkin movies I've seen along with The French connextion and The Exorcist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
To live and die in LA is way underrated when it comes to 80's action movies and I'm not sure why. Too slow maybe? Weak characters? I love it though.

• Locked thread