Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wikzTukjK4o

a dlc/standalone for submarine sim guys
some new engine features for submarine behavior (wire simulation / limitations, torp reattack, a few other things too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:ussr:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How are the new tutorials?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

How are the new tutorials?

Feedback on them appears quite positive so far: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4436935

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dimitris posted:

Feedback on them appears quite positive so far: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4436935

I'm really disappointed by the lack of irrational screeds.

Looking forward to playing TSS this weekend!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Agean90 posted:

oh man the options for telling some congressman's failson who became a poo poo officer to gently caress off in exchange for reduced political traction would be great.

USCW would be a good pick come to think of it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are the new tutorials only in TSS? I have CMANO but haven't really ever figured out how to play it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Popete posted:

Are the new tutorials only in TSS? I have CMANO but haven't really ever figured out how to play it.

Turns out no! The four new tutorials are submarine-only, but they're showing up for me in the base game.

Also there are some decent tutorials packaged with the base game, and some GREAT tutorials in the community pack.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I so want a Vietnam game like this. It's a perfect setting for political meddling.

Dereliction of Duty: the Game

McMaster can write it since he'll be out of a job soon.

It's probably too casual to be a grog came but what do folks think of Battle Academy 2? Does the skirmish mode help with replayability?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Man these scenarios are hard.

I also have a bug where the briefing doesn’t load and it pops up an IE download prompt for the briefing.

This makes me want to play more Cold Waters

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really like CMANO but haven't played it in a long while. Did any work ever go into an actual multiplayer system in that game?

I basically want to play Harpoon Online again but I don't know where I put my America Online floppies.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So, this is how lazy I am. I just noticed on my Matrix account that I own Guns of August, but I don’t remember playing it and my HD is nearly full...

So instead of making space eating up the valuable remaining space to download and play it, I have come here to ask...

Is it worth my time the HD space?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh cool some dudes working on an iran/iraq mod for DC:B

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4105145

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The scale they're working with might be a problem, but they seem to be prioritising playability over slavish detail, and these are grogs we're talking about, they're learning!

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I really like CMANO but haven't played it in a long while. Did any work ever go into an actual multiplayer system in that game?

I basically want to play Harpoon Online again but I don't know where I put my America Online floppies.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Oh cool some dudes working on an iran/iraq mod for DC:B

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4105145

Man that sounds like it could potentially be cool as gently caress. Love conflicts outside the usual lineup.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 3, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Worst sub commander ever. (me)

Both subs made it to the firing point and upon launching Tomahawks one of the subs was immediately depth-charged, seems a surface vessel was above me and I never knew it. Second sub launched all the Tomahawks, slipped away, and died in a fire at -985ft. Quite enjoyable so far.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well now I just want to try and hit the keel of a surface vessel with tomahawks just to say I did it...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Worst sub commander ever. (me)

Both subs made it to the firing point and upon launching Tomahawks one of the subs was immediately depth-charged, seems a surface vessel was above me and I never knew it. Second sub launched all the Tomahawks, slipped away, and died in a fire at -985ft. Quite enjoyable so far.

Yeah I had literally the same thing happen. I guess I should have gone up to periscope depth first?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there a torrent anywhere of the optional database images/descriptions for the various CMANO databases? I've tried three times now to download even the DB3000 one from the Mediafire link on the Warfare Sims website and it always errors out about halfway through.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I hosted a torrent of the DB images years and years ago, even had a .NFO file with ascii art describing the torrent which was fun to come up with.

But I don't think there is a torrent currently..

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I had literally the same thing happen. I guess I should have gone up to periscope depth first?

Yeah, it's never a bad idea to first sniff/sanitize an area out of which you intend to launch cruise missiles. You never know who's having a sunbathe nearby.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of sunbathers having their beach excursion interrupted (or enriched, depending on your view) by submarines:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dimitris posted:

Speaking of sunbathers having their beach excursion interrupted (or enriched, depending on your view) by submarines:

I am surprised the Soviets Russians would allow their SSBN with the roughly the same to age to Titanic so close to shallow water. :ussr:

On second thought, never mind. I should rather be surprised that this isn’t a beach somewhere in the DPRK and that this isn’t an American submarine—grounded of course. :gop:

:smugdon:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Uh, yeah that's definitely a Russian sub going into harbor.

The only weird thing is why aren't there any sailors standing on deck on a sunny day when they're about to port.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah the typhoons dock up in severodvinsk. you can see some on google maps https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@64.5723671,39.7712065,1646m/data=!3m1!1e3

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I know that ink is expensive but this is outrageous

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is the Dec 8th quiet china scenario in witp bugged? There definitely was some land combat going on there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Is the Dec 8th quiet china scenario in witp bugged? There definitely was some land combat going on there.

The Japanese will still take Hong Kong (and possibly Hainan), and I believe there are a few hexes where forces are immediately in the same hex and so will actively fight each other, and then also air forces are still active until/unless stood down.

"Quiet China" in this regard simply means that the AI scripts are turned off (except for Hong Kong), so the AI will not advance, but the game otherwise still "works". If one were so inclined, you could even move forces around there anyway for free (and cheaty) points.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

I know that ink is expensive but this is outrageous

In 1988, Islamic terrorists from Soviet Azerbaijan destroy an important Soviet ink-production facility at Nizhnevartovsk, RSFSR, crippling the Soviet Union's ink production and threatening to wreck the nation's economy due to ink shortages. Pigment Minister Mikhail Sergetov, a non-voting candidate member of the Politburo, suggests making concessions with the West to survive the crisis. He is overruled by the Defense Minister, KGB Chairman Boris Georgiyevich Kosov and the Foreign Minister, who, fearing that the west would take advantage of the Soviet Union's weakened state to permanently cripple it, instead approve a plan to seize the ink fields in the Persian Gulf by military force. Sergetov reluctantly agrees, claiming that the Soviet Union has sufficient ink reserves for the war in order to gain political favor.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Something interesting for the WITP players, seems they found the wreck of the Lexington.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43296489

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

In 1988, Islamic terrorists from Soviet Azerbaijan destroy an important Soviet ink-production facility at Nizhnevartovsk, RSFSR, crippling the Soviet Union's ink production and threatening to wreck the nation's economy due to ink shortages. Pigment Minister Mikhail Sergetov, a non-voting candidate member of the Politburo, suggests making concessions with the West to survive the crisis. He is overruled by the Defense Minister, KGB Chairman Boris Georgiyevich Kosov and the Foreign Minister, who, fearing that the west would take advantage of the Soviet Union's weakened state to permanently cripple it, instead approve a plan to seize the ink fields in the Persian Gulf by military force. Sergetov reluctantly agrees, claiming that the Soviet Union has sufficient ink reserves for the war in order to gain political favor.

Is Tom Clancy your dad?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

I couldn't decide whether to read this in the Metal Gear narrator voice or as Robert Loggia.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

I couldn't decide whether to read this in the Metal Gear narrator voice or as Robert Loggia.

Send it to the guy who narrates Honest Trailers. He does requests.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Dimitris posted:

Send it to the guy who narrates Honest Trailers. He does requests.

didn't he turn out to be a sex pest? or was that the cinema sins guy?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was a dude with honest trailers but I don't know if its the same one

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Stairmaster posted:

I just mash escape a bunch of times when the China combat comes up. Like gradenko said, it's just the AI operating on its lowest-level script and reacting to units next to it. After the first couple of months, it won't carry out any offensives. For some reason the AI keeps sending tiny amphibious forces to Pakhoi in SW China in my game, but other than that it's just a ton of bombardments. You can safely ignore it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

wide stance posted:

Uh, yeah that's definitely a Russian sub going into harbor.

The only weird thing is why aren't there any sailors standing on deck on a sunny day when they're about to port.

I know. I was trying to be funny. :jerry:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

CMANO multiplayer would be the groggiest thing ever. Hide and go seek with nuclear tipped cruise missiles over the North Sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Sperglord posted:

CMANO multiplayer would be the groggiest thing ever. Hide and go seek with nuclear tipped cruise missiles over the North Sea?

I still cannot get into CMANO, despite owning all of the updates and expansions (minus submarines) and despite what seems like decades of playing Harpoon.

For same reason, which is weird because it isn’t much different than Harpoon, I’ve developed a sudden aversion to micromanaging airplanes.

Literally what I want to be able to do with my airplanes is order strikes or missions where I can trust the AI to make the tactical decisions on approach speed, direction, altitude and weapons usage—I don’t mind setting the original loadouts.

Even better if I could order a strike and let the AI figure out if I need in-air refueling and then launch the air tankers themselves.

PS. If there was integrated ground troops and a WiTP esque campaign set in the Pacific during the Second World War I would be happier about micro-managing planes. And I would :homebrew: for it.