Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lowercase16 posted:

I want a future title page to show Katakuri wearing that hat.

Aw, man, I didn't even think of that. poo poo...

Charlotte D. Ogtooh, the Captain of the Black Hat Pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I timed my reread from Dressrosa perfect it seems because I just caught up as the new chapter came out.

New chapter was awesome, Dogtooth fight was awesome and I can confirm everyone who has said that it's probably better in one sitting and not on a bi weekly basis. It did not feel dragged out at all. Pacing was loving stellar this entire fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, Katakuri really beat the hell out of Luffy. Dude's suffering major brain trauma right now remembering plans, paying attention to the time, and recognizing someone despite the most flimsy of disguises. Hope Dr. Chopper's got his medicines all prepared.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
luffy covering katakuris mouth so nobody sees it moved my ice cold heart i loved that chapter and this drat manga

and and operation sanji outspeeds everyone and saves luffy because theres no way pudding actually altered his memory will be amazing next chapter

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

That was so good. Guys, One Piece is really good.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Man Oda really draws the best ugly cry faces.

also my face, now my face is a well drawn ugly cry face

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 2, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Was Katakuri always like twenty feet tall? I thought he was tall but generally normal sized.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Radish posted:

Was Katakuri always like twenty feet tall? I thought he was tall but generally normal sized.

No he was massive.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eiba posted:

That was a neat end to the fight, in my view. I'm sure not everyone will be satisfied, but it feels like they fought to a draw, but Luffy had something he had to get up for and that one last bit of driving energy was all that made the difference. It wasn't a flashy triumphal end, because it's not the end of the arc by a longshot, but it was a pretty satisfying end to a grueling fight.

From here on out it's all got to be stuff happening.

I'm getting some seriously strong parallel vibes to how the Jimbei vs Ace fight took a long-rear end time and ended in a draw with both collapsing simultaneously.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Radish posted:

His official height is a few inches shy of 17 feet.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Radish posted:

I had the same question, but he is supposed to be super tall, yes. He was not always drawn to proper proportion though so occasionally looked more Luffy-heighted.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I got the feeling that he was like a head or two taller than Luffy from the previous fights and scenes so seeing him there sprawled out as a giant was surprising. One Piece character heights are weird.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Radish posted:

Yeah I got the feeling that he was like a head or two taller than Luffy from the previous fights and scenes so seeing him there sprawled out as a giant was surprising. One Piece character heights are weird.

luffy in snakemans a loving big dude, he doesn't lose his proportions really like the other gear 4 forms but he gets pretty drat big

that fight ending was beautiful. the artwork throughout all of the big mom saga has been top tier, but the fight in the mirror world was almost a complete departure and has some of the best panels in the entire manga. odas ability to convey action has gotten even better some how, it's very clear and your eye is drawn to what you gotta see next right away, i really liked this fight and bet on a reread it'll be even better

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, you really get a feel for the brutality and desperation of the fight.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

That was a neat end to the fight, in my view. I'm sure not everyone will be satisfied, but it feels like they fought to a draw, but Luffy had something he had to get up for and that one last bit of driving energy was all that made the difference. It wasn't a flashy triumphal end, because it's not the end of the arc by a longshot, but it was a pretty satisfying end to a grueling fight.

From here on out it's all got to be stuff happening.

I'm not entirely satisfied, but only because I would have preferred that Oda show us the couple of seconds leading up to the last punches of the fight, and not the aftermath. I'd have liked to see two drained fighters on their last legs, wobbling around the place and smiling as they tell each other that this punch will finish it before they knock each other out for at least a few seconds. Beyond that, it's cool.

That said, I do wonder what's going to happen with the mirror in the town square of Cacoa Island since Katakuri obviously isn't going through it now.

Pureauthor posted:

Oh man.

Pudding's 'last request' + her memory wiping powers probably isn't a good combination.

:ohdear:

If Sanji has his memory wiped then One Piece seems like the kind of tale where he'll be unable to completely forget her despite her powers or something, and while it'll niggle him for a few chapters there'll be a big page with him declaring his love for her despite the apparent memory wipe. Or at least, I hope; since I quite like Sanji having a wife and partner after years as a skirt-chaser, and him being a hopeless romantic being the pay off for it all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: Katakuri's height. SBS 87.

quote:

D: Oda-sen... Odacchi, hello! I was reading volume 86 and really became a fan of Katakuri. In chapter 873, why did Daifuku (the third son) refer to Katakuri (the second son) without a honorific? Are they twins who don't resemble one another? Why is Katakuri the only one who is not a minister? Please tell me his age and height!! -​P.N. C(Charlotte) Yurie

O: Yeees. That's a bunch of Katakuri questions coming in fast!! There's no way Daifuku is his twin! Actually, they're triplets! They're 48 years old.

Charlotte Katakuri [509 cm] Komugi Island (Hakuriki Town) "Minister of Flour" Second Son
Charlotte Daifuku [489 cm] Poripori Island (Mame Mame Town) "Minister of Beans" Third Son
Charlotte Oven [492 cm] Yakigashi Island (Fukkura Town) "Minister of Browned Food" Fourth Son
There are 34 islands with 34 Ministers in Totto Land. It's all handled by Big Mom's children although that's what I have decided, but I'm not sure whether to show all information or not. There are just too many profound/background settings.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

tsob posted:

I'm not entirely satisfied, but only because I would have preferred that Oda show us the couple of seconds leading up to the last punches of the fight, and not the aftermath. I'd have liked to see two drained fighters on their last legs, wobbling around the place and smiling as they tell each other that this punch will finish it before they knock each other out for at least a few seconds. Beyond that, it's cool.

Isn't that what the last pages of the previous chapter were? Those last few panels show Katakuri throwing out a spiked mochi attack and luffy punching, and then the first action panel of this chapter shows the aftermath of those attacks. It's not them wobbling into the final attack, it's a powerful last ditch from both of them that very nearly ends in a draw.

E: I like how this chapter sets up the way this works as a victory for the straw hats too. Even though Luffy didn't take out Big mom himself, his crew did come into the territory of a Yonkou, royally gently caress up *everything*, take out twothree of the sweet commanders, take a Poneglyph rubbing, and I can only assume get away with minimal casualties (only Pedro, and I'm not convinced he isn't going to Pell).

That's some :bignews:

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
God that parting line from Katakuri was so good

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Pedro's is a good death because he was near his life's end anyways

so let him stay dead, please?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Your next line will be: I am the man who will be the pirate king!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Pedro's is a good death because he was near his life's end anyways

so let him stay dead, please?

I agree, I'm just saying there's a precedent.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, have to agree that Katakuri's last line was just perfect.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
great end to a not great fight

you know your disguise is bad when luffy can see through it

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I heavily disliked the Katakuri fight, Luffy just stood there taking punches for like 7 chapters and in the end he won because he outlasted his enemy ala Homer Simpson. I hope this was just a slip to an otherwise good manga.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also anticipating the end of this arc being "Good job, Sanji! Where's Pudding?" "Who's Pudding?"

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Nah she just wants him to stop smoking

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"this whole thing smacks of regression" i say turning the Year of Sanji into the Year of Suck

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Injuryprone posted:

This would be a great one

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

Vinsmoke Sanji

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't believe she made sanji quit smoking

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Injuryprone posted:

But he has his cig in his mouth in the next panel.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

very rude that sanji can't be smoking..... especially when she's !! :swoon:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Anyone else surprised that Luffy was actually able to recognize Pekoms? It looks like his observation haki has improved!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Was Katakuri unable to stand anymore, or did he give in knowing that Luffy would eventually defeat Big Mom?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

hell astro course posted:

Anyone else surprised that Luffy was actually able to recognize Pekoms? It looks like his observation haki has improved!

Huh? I didn't see Pekoms anywhere in this chapter. Not sure what you mean.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So who's left to defeat?
Oven
Smoothie
Big Mom
Exposition book power guy?

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Was Katakuri the first villain who acknowledged Luffys "i'm going to be the pirate king" line?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Hate-Senpai posted:

Luffy going back to place his hat over Katakuri's face was some powerful poo poo.

Not empty quoting.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

GoldenPrice posted:

Was Katakuri the first villain who acknowledged Luffys "i'm going to be the pirate king" line?

no they all take it differently. some encourage him some laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what’s the pun behind Pekoms’s disguise? I assume there’s a pun.