Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I predict it's 1:1 between how big a Breath of the Wild fan you are to how upset you are about the Switch time tracking bugeature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Come for the form factor and the library, stay for the lessons on life, loss, and experience

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spikeguy posted:

Picked up the console for my daughter's birthday. Any game recommendations? Already got Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda. Also, are there ever any sales because it seems like Nintendo games never go down in price.

Mario Kart and Splatoon are must haves imo.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

Picked up the console for my daughter's birthday. Any game recommendations? Already got Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda. Also, are there ever any sales because it seems like Nintendo games never go down in price.

There are sales every week under the "Games on Sale" tab in the eShop. It's rarely ever (never?) first party Nintendo stuff, but most of the top class indy stuff finds its way there.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The sound design in Detention is really good.

Akira Yamaoka would be proud.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sock The Great posted:

There are sales every week under the "Games on Sale" tab in the eShop. It's rarely ever (never?) first party Nintendo stuff, but most of the top class indy stuff finds its way there.

Sometimes first party stuff gets discounts physically. I recommend following Wario64 on Twitter to keep up on deals. I’ve seen the big games get discounts recently.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spikeguy posted:

Both those games were around $35 after GCU in the last few weeks. There are eShop sales often on 3rd party games. Maybe Stardew Valley would be something she'd be interested in if she is more into chill games?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Kirby Hot takes.

1) It is indeed very easy. Not terrible to be easy. Just confirming it is.

2) It gets chaotic on screen with 3 allies.

3) Even with 1 Ally, sometimes you want to line something up or go capture or friend a dude and your 1 ally is like "NAH gently caress THAT GUY!" *bop!*

4) The movesets and combined powers are pretty great.

5) I think I might pass, but I do have a 5 year old and a 2 year old soooo..

6) The unmappable poo poo rear end BACKWARDS controls better be mappable in the full game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spikeguy posted:

How old is your daughter?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My brother's four year old beat Mario Odyssey, and just does boss fights now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo forgot how time works and the playtime is being reset on peoples switch games to zero as it hits the 1 year anniversary

Sweet, that means my completion time is better than so called :airquote: "world record" speed runs. :smugbert:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sock The Great posted:

We've had 1-2-Switch, ARMS, and Flip Wars in there, at least.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feenix posted:

6) The unmappable poo poo rear end BACKWARDS controls better be mappable in the full game.

Probably not. Most Kirby games have A for jump and B for inhale/powers.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

SeANMcBAY posted:

this better be how it is :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

psychoJ posted:

this better be how it is :colbert:

It doesn’t really bother me. It only bothers me in something like Mario since I’m usually holding run in those which isn’t comfortable if it’s mapped to B on Nintendo’s 4 button controllers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress this game forever, if true.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
A for jump? What a crazy concept!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I played Skyrim for the first time when it came out on Switch and had a blast, but I’m glad I played it before Breath of the Wild because BotW is so much better that I don’t really want to play Skyrim anymore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I probably should have bought a game other than Mario kart as my only title while travelling but otherwise I'm enjoying the switch.

Wireless mario kart head to head is pretty fun.

The eshop is kind of a wasteland of lovely phone games or full priced first party titles with not much in between. It's by far the most disappointing aspect of the console.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Laserface posted:

The eshop is kind of a wasteland of lovely phone games or full priced first party titles with not much in between. It's by far the most disappointing aspect of the console.

That's the downside of being easy to develop for and having a healthy library. You get a lot of the good stuff that otherwise would skip over the console, but you also get a lot of hot garbage. Valve has spent years trying to deal with the problem on Steam and they still haven't found a good way to curate their content properly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I completely disagree, there are a ton of mid-price range ($10-$20) digital titles on the eshop that are well worth their price. Stardew Valley is only $15 and will list you a hundred hours.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

Celeste. Enter the Gungeon. Rocket League. SteamWorld. Stardew Valley. Golf Story. Night in the Woods. Shovel Knight. Darkest Dungeon. Snipperclips. Gorogoa. Overcooked. Blaster Master Zero.

There’s plenty.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

404notfound posted:

That's the downside of being easy to develop for and having a healthy library. You get a lot of the good stuff that otherwise would skip over the console, but you also get a lot of hot garbage. Valve has spent years trying to deal with the problem on Steam and they still haven't found a good way to curate their content properly.

Valve doesn't want to curate.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Valve has stopped caring a long time ago.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I either have those titles on another platform or am totally disinterested. Stardew is in the latter category.

I'm also staunchly against 8-bit graphics.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

I either have those titles on another platform or am totally disinterested. Stardew is in the latter category.

Ok well then no one cares.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can't kick this extra point if you keep moving the goal posts!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Regarding Kirby controls, there's a section in the menus where it lists the control scheme as Type A. I assume that means there are other configurations, but nothing was available in the demo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

The second paragraph is a red flag that i shouldnt agree with the first but tentatively i agree. I personally like doing chores and improvements in my real house and stardew makes me remember i left xyz unfinished in the other room and i go do it instead of wastin time in the game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Real hurthling! posted:

The second paragraph is a red flag that i shouldnt agree with the first but tentatively i agree. I personally like doing chores and improvements in my real house and stardew makes me remember i left xyz unfinished in the other room and i go do it instead of wastin time in the game

Stardew Valley, the ultimate productivity booster

Anyway, the retro aesthetic for me is like any other graphical style. It can look hideous, but with effort it can also look drat good. I certainly wouldn't talk poo poo over, say, Shovel Knight's graphics.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Necrodancer on Switch is just dangerous for how fast time disappears. Maybe if I just play for more hours I'll stop being garbage! Then I finally get to a boss fight as Aria and immediately die without even doing damage because I choked.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Laserface posted:

It's usually a good idea to check out a console's full library before you purchase it. Just a tip for the future, it's impossible to be disappointed when you've done your homework!

But yeah there's plenty of good poo poo in there amidst phone crap, a lot of it just happens to be ports or indies that *clutches pearls* use pixel art.

Personally I'm cool with pixels but am staunchly against polygons

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got my cheaper-priced Walmart Yellow Joycons. Woo.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I predict either Nintendo will have a patch out for Y2Switch on Monday or it won't matter because in ten days our play times will show back up unaltered.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Nintendo is undergoing maintenance on the fifth, so probably a safe guess that's when the changes are happening.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't see why the playtime bug is a bad thing, now my entire BotW playtime is gone so I can play it like it was brand new again!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

^burtle posted:

It is just a carry over. I think the idea was that so you if you regretted spending your money you could always back track, but [shrug].
Ironically in this playthrough my hand slipped and I managed to buy the wrong accessory first (I.e. not the Moon of Mahaa-Kala) but I had been saving on top of my old save so there was no previous save to revert to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

I don't see why the playtime bug is a bad thing, now my entire BotW playtime is gone so I can play it like it was brand new again!

:yeah:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

I really like stats so this is a bummer.

As is the fact that the switch didn't come with a god drat fully fleshed out play log like the 3DS did! I get a kick out of knowing how much value I get from each game. It's not about frugality, I'm really flighty and have to really be in the mood to play a given game in order for me to actually launch it. I also buy a lot of games that I end up not playing 😬

The 3ds also let you sort by week, month, year, etc which was especially rad

It's fun to track that kinda stuff

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How old is your daughter?

This is an unfortunate username/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I dipped back into Tumbleseed on a whim and the update they did a while back is pretty substantial. I was able to get into it pretty quickly this time, especially with the broken up zones and quest system. It also has a two player mode??

I'd say it's worth a second look if you want a weird, slowish chillish roguelike. I was pleasantly surprised after bouncing off of it when I bought it on release in those early days of the switch.

• Locked thread