Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the hazard mechs are crazy strong but you have to make sure to upgrade their heal thing ideally before you upgrade their damage/self damage

to anyone who has found any of the secret pilots, do you keep them unlocked? the pilot select grid doesnt seem to have room for them.

The grid gets a new row when you find one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jeza posted:

Do people spread their Reactor Cores around or just make one terminator?

It honestly depends. Some weapons are fine out of the gate and you don’t really need to waste 2 cores for an extra point of damage (especially if it already pushes). Some are absolutely nuts when you invest like the Smokey boys science mech that can shield itself and allies on demand.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm actually really enjoy playing on easy for a casual experience. I think having started on normal was a good idea though because it already forces you to think far more strategically than easy requires. At this point, I haven't had a loss on easy and I think I've only ever had one island that wasn't a perfect island.

Eventually I'll get the balls to move back to normal.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I had my first win on hard with the Rusty Boyz. I feel they have the right mix of damage and defense via smoke and enemy movement to tackle hard for the achievement. I think I ended up getting one of the two islands perfect before the end. The end wasn't even that bad. I think I ended the game with like 2 or 3 ticks left. Give them a shot if you're looking to tackle hard mode. Also don't forget the artillery shoots a smoke behind itself. It's one of the few artillery mechs I like to keep in the mix instead of the back of the map.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

The only time I've been able to beat this game is with 3 of the boulder-throwing mechs, and it was a lot of fun. They have a lot of different options for controlling the board.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
A thing I learned to the detriment of poor Abe Imasu -- if you shield a mech and it's in a bombing run square, it will still die

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

DrManiac posted:

It honestly depends. Some weapons are fine out of the gate and you don’t really need to waste 2 cores for an extra point of damage (especially if it already pushes). Some are absolutely nuts when you invest like the Smokey boys science mech that can shield itself and allies on demand.

Not to mention the other 2 core power on their missile launcher that makes ALL smoke do 2 damage instead of 1. I honestly don't see how you get the 12 damage achievement without it and, well, it makes *everything* more manageable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how the hell do you prosper as the Ice Squad?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

double nine posted:

1. fire the cryo gun
2. break the ice on the cryo gun on the same turn as it shot.
3. profit!!!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Slaapaav posted:

1. fire the cryo gun
2. break the ice on the cryo gun on the same turn as it shot.
3. profit!!!

(break it by firing from a position over a Vek burrow or in the line of fire of something big)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best thing about freezing instead of killing is that each frozen enemy is a possible target for other enemies, and it doesn't matter if they get out since it still ate at least two enemy actions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

double nine posted:

Place the cryo gun in a position to get shot out of the ice the same turn as it freezes. The prime and the Janus tank are both solid all around units, with an upgrade making the Janus a nice basic gun, if one you have to use somewhat carefully.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the upgrade that lets lightning go through buildings is a huge trap and should be avoided imho.

got 3 perfect islands in a row and then for the final acid island everything turned to complete poo poo. barely made it to the final battle where my dudes just exploded. should have gotten another weapon for the whip mech. blitzkrieg seems to fall off a cliff vs masses of 5 hp enemies

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What are people's thoughts with respect to when to do the final mission?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pattonesque posted:

A thing I learned to the detriment of poor Abe Imasu -- if you shield a mech and it's in a bombing run square, it will still die

Yup. Instant-death tiles are instant death, no amount of fuckery gets around that.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

well i mean, you get a higher score for doing it later

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

It is generally easier to do it earlier, but more rewarding to do it later. By the 4th island the alpha bugs have a lot of health.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

imo it depends on your loadout. If you have a mech setup that is effective, it's probably a bit easier to do it early. However, if you wait 'till the end to finish the run, your gear will be far more adaptable and dependable in the final battle. It really depends on how strong you currently are at disabling and/or destroying enemies quickly

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just bought this game and jesus christ it's hard even on normal. I keep having to go back in time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, the Zoltan pilot is actually perfect for the Hazard squad. His special Negates the downsides, you just have to be drat careful not to end up on an emerging Vek or a burning tile.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VikingofRock posted:

Easiest is at 2 islands, hardest is at 3 imo. As far as I can tell the only difference between 3 and 4 islands is you have 1 extra alpha and 1 extra normal at three, as opposed to 2 extra alpha at 4. But at 4 islands you've got all of your damage abilities upgraded so the alphas are much less threatening.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I find four noticeably harder than 2 or three, which are about equal. I find you aren't that much stronger going into the fourth island but the amount of enemies with extra health ramps up enough that it's harder to stay on top of them and at that point many of them are capable of threatening 2 or even four grid damage in a single attack.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Though I guess there is a caveat of the burrower enemies. Those are the hardest and most bullshit enemies in the game. If you don't have an attack that can hit 2 tiles, or you don't have artillery as your primary damage dealing, burrower enemies will wreck you. The other enemies can be handled with straight dps or movement, burrowers are more difficult.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Custom squads is cool, but I really want custom mechs. There are tons of weapons that can only be found/bought and it would be cool to try and build teams based around using them from the get go.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Traxis posted:

Custom squads is cool, but I really want custom mechs. There are tons of weapons that can only be found/bought and it would be cool to try and build teams based around using them from the get go.

OP as gently caress. But not a bad idea for a custom secret squad.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm not sure I'm ever going to top this one.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Blitz squad owns.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This whole time I had been playing, I had thought that a 2 island victory was supposed to be harder than a 4 island victory. Guess I had things backwards.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Blitz squad owns.

Blitz owns almost as much as Judo sucks.

Seriously, there's one decent unit in the whole initial set. It's depressing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, wrapping up the last of the achievements. Doing them all on normal, not easy, because how hard can they be?

OH GOD SPIDERS EVERYWHERE actually I'm doing pretty OK here.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Blitz owns almost as much as Judo sucks.

Seriously, there's one decent unit in the whole initial set. It's depressing.

Judos a really god damned slow starter, the gravity mech is the secret star of the show because it requires basically no upgrades to do its job.

Once you sink enough upgrades into the other two they start doing alright though, they just have absolutely zero damage output before that.

Just finished my 3rd win at 4 islands with the steel judokas, only need to do one more win and ill get the achievement for 3 final battles with the same pilot on bethany.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Further thoughts on Steel Judoka: avoid maps with those burrowing fuckers unless you have a real weapon. You can't push, you can't pull (them out of the ground and toss them over your head), so it's up to your artillery. Not a good time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you just have to ask yourself whether you have a functional team that can take on the boss after each island. If you it might not be worth the risk of doing extra islands (especially the pretty hard fourth one, that forces you to go through Pinnacle at some point).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Tanith posted:

Further thoughts on Steel Judoka: avoid maps with those burrowing fuckers

agreed, but for all teams

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Harold's push repair ability makes so much difference to blitzkrieg, being able to push and pull with the hook mech is godsent

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just got my all flier cheevo using the acid tank from the hazards, the swapper from flame behemoths, the ice thrower from the frozen titans. Weird but fun little set up. Notice the utter absence of damage dealing mechs - makes doing Kill 7 Enemies objectives rather hard! I was hoping to rectify that at the first shop, but the game proceeded to toss me the +friendly fire passive and a bunch of smoke throwers. It was only after the second island that I got the turn them around shield, at which point I had to sell one of my pilots into corporate slavery so I can afford the reactors to wield the thing...

I just now realised the shield actually does 2 dam. I thought it did one, so that it takes two mechs for me to take down a psion tyrant on the final island. Somehow I managed to get through by the skin of my teeth though. Pro-tip: being frozen protects from psion attack damage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Holy gently caress this Frozen Island level with two Robotic Labs that spawns artillery robots that intentionally target and blow up your own buildings is loving horseshit. This has to be a bug... right? Why am I defending buildings owning my own poo poo? I would have rather just thrown out the +2 stars and lose Perfect Island than let this map singlehanded destroy an otherwise amazing Zenith run. gently caress

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xaris posted:

Holy gently caress this Frozen Island level with two Robotic Labs that spawns artillery robots that intentionally target and blow up your own buildings is loving horseshit. This has to be a bug... right? Why am I defending buildings owning my own poo poo? I would have rather just thrown out the +2 stars and lose Perfect Island than let this map singlehanded destroy an otherwise amazing Zenith run. gently caress

Hahaha that's my favourite level in the game

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The text before the mission mentions that the factories are malfunctioning, welcome to Pinnacle Island!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It doesn't help it was one where I was really trying to save the Research Lab for that sweet extra Core, but jfc I should have just torpedoed those loving Robot Labs at the very start if I knew they were going to keep spawning poo poo that just targets my own stuff and was quickly overwhelmed.

I even had a sweet ACID launcher on my Science guy that synergized super well with Laser and Ram dude and provided nice push. aaaaa I guess I know to read closer and avoid that one next time. It was also setup horribly so almost every spot to use the Laser guy would have taken out Grid poo poo too