Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just watched Kung Fu Yoga and enjoyed all the blatant propaganda and the storyline about how great India is when it's accepting China's superiority and I have to wonder if it got made before the border scuffles started up in earnest...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I saw a poster for that here in Japan and all I thought was “Man Jackie must need money”

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dr.Radical posted:

I saw a poster for that here in Japan and all I thought was “Man Jackie must need money”

isn't his son like some turbo fuckup or something

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dr.Radical posted:

We see him on Paracetamol ads down here, so it's kind of a given.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I recall someone on here saying that he had to buy off the Chinese government to get his son off of a huge drug charge. Like he had 10 pounds of weed at his apartment or something. It was a few years ago

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dr.Radical posted:

story checks out:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/22/rush-hour-4-is-indeed-happening-says-chris-tucker

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.a90d1189d221

quote:

BEIJING — China’s steel industry slammed a “stupid” protectionist move from President Trump to impose import tariffs, but experts said Friday that the impact on China would be limited and the government was not about to start a trade war over the issue.

China is the world’s dominant steel producer but only accounts for 2 percent of U.S. imports. Trump’s decision to slap 25 percent tariffs on steel imports, and 10 percent on aluminum, won’t have a big impact here, experts said, although it certainly wasn’t welcomed.

“What an extremely stupid move,” said Li Xinchuang, vice secretary general of the China Iron and Steel Association. “A desperate attempt by Trump to pander to his voters, which I think in fact runs counter to his ‘America First’ pledge. The U.S. is now setting a very, very bad example.”

Li, who is also director of the China Metallurgical Industry Planning and Research Institute, said the decision would only make U.S. industries fall further behind globally, at a time when “China is in its prime.”

The risk of global trade frictions unsettled markets. Asian stocks followed their U.S. counterparts lower on Friday, with Japan’s Nikkei-225 index down 2.5 percent, and South Korea’s KOSPI index 1 percent lower, with steel makers in both countries among the hardest hit.

But Shanghai’s main share index fell a more modest 0.6 percent.

“Asia has been the main beneficiary of the production networks and globalization of recent times so it is unavoidably sensitive to trade friction,” said Richard Jerram, chief economist at the Bank of Singapore. “Tariffs on steel and aluminium are not the end of the world, but the risk is escalation. How aggressively China reacts, and America’s response to that, will worry the markets.”

Wei Jianguo, a former Chinese vice commerce minister, said Trump’s announcement ran counter to World Trade Organization rules and hurt Sino-U.S. relations.

“China does not want to see a trade war with the United States. But if Trump insists, China is not afraid of it,” Wei said.

“China will actively protect its own trade interests,” he said, pointing out that China imports a huge amount of U.S. goods, including Boeing planes, agricultural products and IT products.

But most analysts said the move was more of an irritant to China than anything serious at this stage.

A glut of steel from China has fueled global oversupply, but Lu Zhengwei, chief economist at Industrial Bank in Shanghai, said China had already been working to cut overcapacity in its steel industry.

Anti-dumping duties imposed by the Obama administration on China two years ago had also helped cut U.S. imports from China and protect a restructured U.S. steel industry based around mini-mills, experts said. Last year, China’s steel exports fell 30 percent, and Lu said Trump’s move came too late to make much of a difference.

Nevertheless, China is also not insensitive to the symbolism of the move, is aware that Trump’s rhetoric has targeted China and is wary of further measures to restrict trade and investment, experts said.

“China has to respond and fight for every inch of its own interests, otherwise, it will find it hard to handle more trade adjustments from the U.S. side,” Lu said. “Of course China is able to take revenge, however the result we are expecting is negotiation between both sides.”

The Trump administration is investigating China over intellectual property rights and technology transfer policies, and is expected to unveil further tariffs or penalties in coming months. Congress is also likely to strenghten and broaden controls on Chinese investment into the United States.

In a statement issued Thursday, China’s Commerce Ministry expressed “grave concern” about a U.S. trade policy report that accused Beijing of moving away from market principles and pledged to prevent it from disrupting global trade. But there was no immediate response to the decision on tariffs.

Andrew Polk, a founder of the Trivium consultancy in Beijing, said Trump’s decision would not have much of an effect on China’s economy, and predicted China’s reaction would be more rhetorical than real.

“I don’t think this is the start of a trade war,” he said, predicting a similar reaction to Trump’s decision to slap tariffs on solar panels, effectively saying: “We don’t like this, but we’re going to downplay it and not really do anything.”

Trump’s announcement came as one of President Xi Jinping’s right-hand men, Liu He, was in Washington trying to calm trade tensions.

Tao Wenzhao, former director of the U.S.-China Institute at the China Academy of Social Sciences, said the overall climate in relations between the two countries has not been great recently.

“Still I wouldn’t say this is the starting point of a U.S.-China trade war,” he said. “China wishes to defuse the tensions that are present between the two countries through communication, as seen by the visit by Liu He.”

Rob Carnell, head of Asia-Pacific research at ING in Singapore, said China might join, or hide behind, other nations and trading blocs, such as Canada, the European Union, Japan and South Korea, in retaliating to the U.S. move. Taiwan and Brazil are also among those affected by the measure.

“If the European Union and Canada start to work through the WTO, they will be waiting a long time for a resolution, so we are more likely to see tit-for-tat retaliation,” he said.

But ironically it might be better news for China. By punishing U.S. allies and friendly nations, it potentially undermines efforts to forge a U.S.-led alliance to restrain Chinese mercantilism, said Arthur Kroeber, managing director of Gavekal Dragonomics.

Now, many countries may be inclined to wonder whether it is the United States or China that poses the greater threat to the world trading system, he said.

“It seems to me China can afford to play it pretty cool and measured, as they have been doing ever since Trump took office,” said. “They take a small, really negligible, hit to their steel and aluminum exports, but strategically they come out way ahead by just letting Trump be Trump.”

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who gets paid in dollars and is living abroad... LMAO on my lovely USD rates everywhere I go compared to one or two years ago.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
Vancouver man extremely upset about plan to create temporary housing units for homeless people, kicks librarian at open-house community meeting

Lol the anime sprint

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Lupin posted:

Vancouver man extremely upset about plan to create temporary housing units for homeless people, kicks librarian at open-house community meeting

drat

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
why

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

NO loving WHY, NEWBIE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did the uK ever go to das oiro? How’s the pound otherwise? (Your mom says hi)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lupin posted:

That's a pretty good kick. Looks like she went flying.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Jesus. :psyduck:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

No why, of course, but probably because the surrounding property values would go down

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Dude has clearly been playing some dark messiah

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lupin posted:

Lol the anime sprint

Loving the bald dude's heroic efforts. After the backpack jag-off kicks the old lady he's just like "Oh well, I held out my hand. I tried. No one could possibly catch that Road Runner."

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Lupin posted:

Lol the anime sprint

kicking man is trump, old woman is the economy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Lobok posted:

Loving the bald dude's heroic efforts. After the backpack jag-off kicks the old lady he's just like "Oh well, I held out my hand. I tried. No one could possibly catch that Road Runner."

I was assuming he didn't chase because he knew campus security was at the door or the situation was in hand some how. Nope, dude actually got away and police are begging for tips to find him.

Also that this poo poo has come to violence doesn't surprise me at all. Tons of people in the area have bought million dollar tear-downs by leveraging them selves up to their necks with the confidence that house values will always rocket up forever. It's not a risk to buy a 1m house when you are 100% sure that house will be worth 1.5m in a few years. But what if the city builds some sort of building for poors in the area??? It might only be wort 1.2m in a few years, this is an absolutely unacceptable return on investment, should have laundered dad's embezzled Chinese factory money in another country instead.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Baronjutter posted:

I was assuming he didn't chase because he knew campus security was at the door or the situation was in hand some how. Nope, dude actually got away and police are begging for tips to find him.

Seems like it would be easy to just put up a huge sign that says 台湾第一, the guy will probably show up to kick the sign in a couple of hours

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I met an ex-princess tonight. She had given up citizenship in her princess country and enjoyed life without the public and officials paying attention to everything she does. She's super sporty and my dad was like "Ayy, this dude always walks like a billion kilometers and goes to the gym. I bet you can't keep up with him." She said she probably could and asked if I wanted to walk together. My drat dad was trying to wingman me while I had two plates of food in front of me and stuffing my face. When he noticed I was apprehensive because I don't like stuff sprung on me without warning, he told her there was no way she could keep up with him, and she challenged him to a bike race and then it was his turn to get all apprehensive.

She had a bunch of make-up on and both sides of her head shaved and a weird topknot ponytail thing. She looked like an anime IRL.

RIP my chance at royalty.

Lupin posted:

Lol the anime sprint
At first I was angry at how slow this loaded because it's a .gif, but LMAO at this retard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bajaj posted:

I met an ex-princess tonight. She had given up citizenship in her princess country and enjoyed life without the public and officials paying attention to everything she does. She's super sporty and my dad was like "Ayy, this dude always walks like a billion kilometers and goes to the gym. I bet you can't keep up with him." She said she probably could and asked if I wanted to walk together. My drat dad was trying to wingman me while I had two plates of food in front of me and stuffing my face. When he noticed I was apprehensive because I don't like stuff sprung on me without warning, he told her there was no way she could keep up with him, and she challenged him to a bike race and then it was his turn to get all apprehensive.

She had a bunch of make-up on and both sides of her head shaved and a weird topknot ponytail thing. She looked like an anime IRL.

RIP my chance at royalty.

So your dad tried to set you up with a woman and when you didn't take the bait he tried to take her for himself?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Lobok posted:

So your dad tried to set you up with a woman and when you didn't take the bait he tried to take her for himself?

Like bajajdad, like son. The plunging runs in their blood.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
are you saying that sex tourism is generational

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lupin posted:

Lol the anime sprint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FlP1X8lt0&t=26s

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lobok posted:

Gotta respect the family's plunge game. No point in letting that go to waste.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Chinese steel sucks

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I met up with shanghai goons and it was fun

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cry Havoc posted:

are you saying that sex tourism is generational

Yeah they were really angling to exploit that downtrodden former member of a monarchy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

5,000 years of History in Plunging

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Minecraft with China aspects.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lupin posted:

Lol the anime sprint

Chinese debating skills are quite effective.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Grape posted:

Yeah they were really angling to exploit that downtrodden former member of a monarchy.

glad we agree :bigtran:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

What the gently caress is this

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Anyone know if Adelie penguins make for good boner pills?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
China’s condoms are ‘too small’, says Zimbabwe’s health minister

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...070bf28001f24b8

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Relin posted:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...070bf28001f24b8

I remember seeing some brand of condoms in Japan being sold in "small", "medium", and "black"

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chaoshan Girl went to visit her hometown after refusing to go during Spring Festival. She was the talk of the neighborhood for not going, and her dad was furious she didn't send money to her parents (for him to gamble away) and instead paid their electric and phone bills for them.

She arrived home and walked in and her dad immediately asked where was his 5000 RMB ($787 USD). She asked what the heck he was talking about. "I told all my friends you would give me 5000 RMB. Do you know how much money I need to meet my friends? Our dinner costs 2000, the cigarettes cost 1200, the alcohol is 1000, and the rest I need for other things." She told him no way, she's not giving him any money at all, especially not for all that stuff. She said he ran around the house screaming and slamming doors and threatening to slap her mom if she didn't pay up (LMAO). She still said no and he kept saying he was going to slap her mom, or her, and maybe both. She said no. He screamed and left the house after calling her a bitch.

Her mom's chickenhead friends came over and clucked about, so she left for a few hours to eat and walk and cool down. When she got back into the house, her dad was still out but her mom's friends said they had sons she needs to meet. From about age 17, to these village Chaoshan people, marriage becomes a main focus for most girls since they have no ability to go on to university. They go to work in Chaoshan factories and get paid abysmal salaries (making stuff that is probably in each of our houses right this moment), and they are expected to give a large percentage of it back to their parents until they get married. CG's old classmate from high school makes 1800 a month at her job, and all the new hires get 3000, but the boss thinks she's too old (like 25), so he refuses to raise her up to the 3000. Getting married to some go-getter man is the only chance these women have to live a life that isn't in a factory. Their marriages are usually more arranged and spur-of-the-moment choices by the parents than any Indian would have to suffer through.

So, CG's mom's friends were bothering her about her not being married at this old age (24). They all said they had single sons and she should go on dates and choose one and get married. That would solve all her problems and her issues with disrespecting her parents by not giving money to them. CG asked what reasons should she get married? The women said because she is Chaoshan, and Chaoshan women marry young and depend on their husbands. CG became a Shenzhen citizen a while back, so she said "I am a Shenzhen person now, not Chaoshan, and I don't need to depend on a pig." She said the room was silent until she left.

She's staying a couple more days and then leaving. I asked why not just go back to SZ now and be peaceful, but she said this was her farewell to her hometown and she's not coming back until one of her parents is on their deathbed, which she assumes to be in less than 10 years since her mom and dad and all their friends have high blood pressure and diabetes from the local food and never drinking water. She told her mom to drink more water every day and her mom said "200ml when I wake up is enough for the day." Imagine that halitosis.

Lobok posted:

He was just deflecting for me. She knows my step-mom (who was sitting next to me) so it was all in fun, but I could tell she was serious about racing/out-pacing either of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Relin posted:

"We import condoms from China and some men complain they are too small :smug:"

• Locked thread