Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HookShot posted:

Also Golfers Approach is so, so badly situated in the village. It's far enough away for it to be an annoyingly long walk in ski gear to the lift, and it's not on any of the bus routes so you have literally no option except to do a long, lovely walk or a slightly shorter, but steep uphill walk to the hill with all your gear every day.

But the ad says you "Simply can't get any closer" :byodood:

Realtors would never lie or mislead ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

HookShot posted:

Also Golfers Approach is so, so badly situated in the village. It's far enough away for it to be an annoyingly long walk in ski gear to the lift, and it's not on any of the bus routes so you have literally no option except to do a long, lovely walk or a slightly shorter, but steep uphill walk to the hill with all your gear every day.

But it is too close to the hill to make it worth it to drive and spend $10 on parking.

Worker accommodation op

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Somehow I feel that Pitbull spinning himself into some sort of business guru is actually kind of interesting.

He learned how to do it on the hard streets of Kodiak, Alaska.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

But it is too close to the hill to make it worth it to drive and spend $10 on parking.

I am jacks complete lack of pity for the dumb bougie fucks who buy property in a ski resort.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Some girl is doing an amateur photoshoot on the roof of the parking garage across from our condo. Looks pretty awkward. It’s raining and she’s showing skin.

They buggered off when the security guy came around.

Is this the new gig economy?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I think they call that the oldest economy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so what

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/farmwatchbc/status/969750211198312449?s=21

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/brettdrc/status/969271837581430784?s=21

There’s a new building in olympic village with totally nonsensical deck arrangements as well. The one next to steel toad on w 2nd.

Should we give these units nice 100sqft balconies? No man, give them 30sqft wedges. Also just split the corner unit balconies in half as well. Why? Because gently caress ‘em lol.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 3, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How did that chair get there? It's giving me nightmares.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How did that chair get there? It's giving me nightmares.

Someone reached over the waist-high railing glass and placed it there. Shocking technology, I know.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I’m sure the wind has blown it off by now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rime posted:

Someone reached over the waist-high railing glass and placed it there. Shocking technology, I know.

Still, euurrgghhh

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Some girl is doing an amateur photoshoot on the roof of the parking garage across from our condo. Looks pretty awkward. It’s raining and she’s showing skin.

It's an instagram thing. Too drunk right now to go digging but some reporter had his office top floor of a parking garage and started noticing and made a bit about this. They pass locations around as top shooting sites for primo pro shots that are "interesting and authentic". Top floors of the parking garages have good views, a bit of grit, low security and low public traffic.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Old one but a good one

https://twitter.com/penultsquire/status/969780557742616576?s=21

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
#sofresh #sodope #so604

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Can someone make a ranked list of things Canadians hate living next to for various reasons including cultural and others? I'm thinking homeless shelters, social housing, condos with any affordable units, hospices, children's hospitals, dog parks, buildings that are too tall, buildings that are too wide, homes with unkempt lawns, etc.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh and units that were worth more than theirs, units that were worth less than theirs, occupied units, adjacent to a road..

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What makes you think these are Canadians

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

eXXon posted:

Can someone make a ranked list of things Canadians hate living next to for various reasons including cultural and others? I'm thinking homeless shelters, social housing, condos with any affordable units, hospices, children's hospitals, dog parks, buildings that are too tall, buildings that are too wide, homes with unkempt lawns, etc.

'Paying taxes' isn't a place but i feel it should be on this list.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gently caress my almost-80 year old father in law just had a heart attack and I just got a $2 raise out of the blue. Also found out I couldn't legally be in my current field of work in aus for a full year at least.

Just when you think you're out of Vancouver, they pull you back in!!! (I still want to leave)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

eXXon posted:

Wind turbines

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

B33rChiller posted:

Wind turbines

Ah yes, but wind turbines also ward off airports, another thing that people hate living near yet inexplicably develop new neighbourhoods right next to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Richmond realtors petition against homeless housing, says advocate
by Graeme Wood, richmond-news.com
March 2, 2018 04:07 PM
Homeless advocates say they will need to step up their support for a proposed temporary, modular housing complex in the wake of a well-organized attempt — including from realtors — to block its constriction at 7300 Elmbridge Way.

De Whalen, chair of the Richmond Poverty Response Committee, has written to her members and others in the non-profit sector to inform them a group of realtors is petitioning the neighbourhood to block the 40-unit project by BC Housing, which is to be operated by RainCity Housing and Support Society.

“The opposition appears to be in two main areas: Lack of process and safety. But underlying these concerns is a fear that property values will decrease,” said Whalen.

Coun. Harold Steves took to Twitter to point out similar concerns being expressed in Chinese social media. One post Steves mentioned states that if there’s housing for homeless then “list prices plunge.”

But Steves questioned the logic: “But this housing is for homeless people already sleeping in the streets of City Centre. Where do we move the homeless people to?”

Whalen said the petition raises the fact that the housing will be placed on a temporary off-leash dog park.

“The petition actually said dogs should have fair treatment and should not be deprived as they are family members.”

Whalen points out that local residents have a “basic lack of understanding and fear that children/elders/women would become targets of the newly housed.”

She points out that many may not even realize a mental health support group and the Richmond Food Bank service vulnerable and homeless people in the neighbourhood already.

“Homeless people already receive services in the area: Pathways Clubhouse, Food Bank, etc. There is no reason to think residents would be endangered, quite the opposite as wrap-around services would be provided at the site,” said Whalen.

“The Richmond Homeless Count was 70 but our outreach workers know it is about 120. Our homeless population needs housing and deserves this,” said Whalen.

Support or opposition to the five-year shelter can be expressed at LetsTalkRichmond.ca.

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-realtors-petition-against-homeless-housing-says-advocate-1.23190515

My favourite part here is that the homeless housing will displace dogs from the temporary dog park. This is obviously wrong and insulting. It is rude to suggest Chinese play with their food.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste friends posted:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-realtors-petition-against-homeless-housing-says-advocate-1.23190515

My favourite part here is that the homeless housing will displace dogs from the temporary dog park. This is obviously wrong and insulting. It is rude to suggest Chinese play with their food.

:golfclap:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://theprovince.com/opinion/columnists/gordon-clark-ndp-demonstrates-irresponsibility-and-incompetence-with-new-taxes

quote:

Last May, B.C. voters decided they wanted a kinder, gentler sort of provincial government and transferred their support to the NDP and the Greens.

Now that the dust has settled, with an NDP minority government nominally in charge (although with a Green tail wagging an NDP dog), voters should wake up to the fact that, yet again, they’ve elected a gang of bandits.

Consider the NDP’s first budget, delivered last week. It slams British Columbians with $5.5 billion in new and expanded taxes over three years while increasing spending by $5.2 billion.

What is it about that party that its members can’t get it through their heads that most people actually want fiscal responsibility from their governments and that the days of tax-and-spend should be history? As usual, the NDP thinks its sole purpose is to transfer wealth from anyone who is working hard and doing well. As has happened every time they’ve formed government, that attitude is their undoing. The sheep inevitably decide they’ve been sheared enough.

So, again, the NDP has leaped to pass a slew of unprincipled new taxes to pilfer any income or wealth they decide is excessive, regardless of the damage they inflict on individuals or the economy. This is always couched in the rhetoric of “make the rich pay” or, as Finance Minister Carole James self-righteously put it, to ask “people who have benefited from out-of-control housing prices to pay a little more to help ensure all British Columbians can afford a place to live.”

When did that become the job of homeowners? And “pay a little more”? Does she mean the $12,000 a year in extra school taxes she has imposed on retired economics professor David Tha, who lives on a pension and happens to own a Vancouver home he bought decades ago that through no fault of his own has increased in value? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of David Thas out there.

While the finance minister clearly doesn’t care, it must be said that the Mr. and Ms. Thas of B.C. already pay a lot more school and other property taxes because of higher property values. They are already contributing “a little bit more,” to use James’s unctuous words, and don’t deserve an even higher tax burden.

The same is true of the NDP’s new five-per-cent property transfer tax for homes that sell for more than $3 million. (It’s three per cent for lower-priced homes.) If the NDP cared about affordability, why didn’t they eliminate that idiotic tax, brought in as a temporary measure 31 years ago?

Then there’s the 20-per-cent foreign buyers tax and the two-per-cent “speculation” tax on those who own property in B.C. but don’t pay income tax here. You know? A few foreigners, but mostly other Canadians. Both pay income taxes somewhere, and Canada has tax treaties with other countries so people, Canadians included, aren’t forced to pay in two jurisdictions.

Here’s why all of this is unethical, including the NDP view that they have a right to force people through rapacious taxation to rent out their private properties, as if they were public assets.

Canadians support progressive taxation, where wealthier people pay higher taxes. But the NDP — being urged on by bogus university academics who are really taxpayer-funded, highly paid left-wing activists — are applying the same tax principles to assets.

Having taxed income, government should not take a second run at people’s wealth by annually taxing their property, which they have usually acquired through hard work and sacrifice. Unless they want to help people pay their mortgages, or cover their losses when there is a downturn in the housing market, the NDP should not stake a claim to homeowners’ equity.

What is even more stunning is James’s admission that the government didn’t study or model the impact of all these taxes on the housing market before imposing them. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything more incompetent or irresponsible from a finance minister. Real estate and construction are the two largest contributors to B.C.’s economy, and James just wants to throw the dice?

Finally, her actions will actually hurt many British Columbians by lowering the value of their homes, especially those who recently bought into the market and may find themselves owing more than their properties are worth. There are words to describe people who would do that to others, but they are unprintable.

Gordon Clark is a columnist and editorial pages editor for The Province.

more 'won't someone think of the poor multimillionaire rentiers' :qq:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They found the Librarian kicker https://globalnews.ca/news/4059656/richmond-librarian-kicking/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Report: Most popular kink among millennials is role-playing as a couple that owns a house

BURNABY, BC – A published study out of Simon Fraser university on generational sexuality has found that the most popular sexual kink among millennials is roleplaying as a couple that owns a house.

While older generations have often used role-play as a way to simulate various power dynamics or unlikely encounters, millennials are using the popular kink to indulge their own implausible fantasies, both sexually and monetarily.

“Nothing gets me more hot and bothered than imagining I own a two storey home that isn’t ruined by noisy upstairs neighbours,” explained Jill Catalania, 26. “When my partner first suggested we give homeowner role-plays a try, I was a bit hesitant at first. It seemed so naughty to put on a sundress and pretend I was reading a book in a yard that I paid for, while my spouse sat in the living room filling out homeowners insurance applications. But ever since that first night, it’s done wonders for our sex life.”

Sexually active millennials everywhere are getting off to the idea of whispering sweet affordable mortgage rates into their partner’s ear as they climb into bed, while fantasies of unfinished home improvement projects and an unkempt garden continue fuel their lust.

“Homeownership started off as an innocent fantasy,” continued Catalania. “But nowadays, I can’t stop imagining how my basement is flooded.”

Coming in close second place behind homeowner role-plays is a new trend of light “Millennial-BDSM,” in which someone blindfolds and ties their partner down to the bed, and then leaves them there to sleep peacefully without interruption for a full 8 hours without being able to look at their phone.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/03/report-popular-kink-among-millennials-role-playing-couple-owns-house/

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The Province is a garbage rag. And so is the Vancouver Sun. I don’t think we actually have a print magazine that isn’t slop. Maybe the Georgia Strait? Mostly ads for hookers but they run Dan Savage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
charlie smith the editor of the georgia straight is a developer shill and a little fuckin bitch on twitter

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol at everyone who gets :qq: whenever people are fired from the province and vancouver sun and scream omg democracy dies in darkness

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

The Province is a garbage rag.

And it's getting worse. There was some clear editorial desperation decision lately to kick the sensationalism and unprofessional writing into high gear.

Been noticing more stuff like "the stunning murder victim" or "the ruthless manic" ala some of the UK papers.

Garbage through and through.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

namaste friends posted:

charlie smith the editor of the georgia straight is a developer shill and a little fuckin bitch on twitter

Yeah, the only good thing about The Georgia Straight is the Martyn Brown columns demolishing idiotic BC Liberal policy. Nothing like the inside man on point for a vicious takedown.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

This guy is a goddamned idiot. What incomprehensible drivel. He clearly has no idea what policy actually is - it's the choice to do something or not to do something. Governments do this all the time to influence behaviour. If you have an asset worth millions and can't afford to pay taxes, sell your place and move elsewhere. After all, it's what you're telling the rest of us to do. Why should you be special?

As for the newspapers, I subscribed to the Globe and Mail the other week, because they did what the local papers never would: investigate the rampant money laundering that is juicing our real estate market and leaving law abiding people in the ditch. The Province and the Vancouver Sun can rot. It's only a matter of time before they die off completely, and good riddance. I've talked at least three or four people into ditching their subscriptions.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 4, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had a hosed up dream last night in which I worked for some generic office doing generic office things. Until one day, when my team supervisor found a few cans of dented off-brand pineapple chunks and had some epiphany - he wanted to create a revolutionary software, powered by fruit, that would change the way everybody did....something. He didn't know what we were trying to make, but figured we had about three weeks to figure it out, make it happen, and wrap it up before we were all fired - he had stolen a bunch of stuff from the parent company and rented some new office space in their name, so it was too late to get off the train. Nobody knew how to code, but he kept going on about the sick five figure amount we'd be pulling in - collectively, not individually.

I knew where I was when he announced the project was called FruitSuite.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

The Province is a garbage rag. And so is the Vancouver Sun. I don’t think we actually have a print magazine that isn’t slop. Maybe the Georgia Strait? Mostly ads for hookers but they run Dan Savage.

The free Metro paper is one of the only outfits that sends journalists to cover council meetings and they actually print informative local news. At the same time that everyone else is shrinking they're hiring so getting out there and hitting the pavement and doing actual journalism must be paying off for them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how increasing tax revenue by 5.5 billion and spending by 5.2 billion is a sign of financial idiocy. Balanced budgets are irresponsible tax and spend bandit socialism.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love how increasing tax revenue by 5.5 billion and spending by 5.2 billion is a sign of financial idiocy. Balanced budgets are irresponsible tax and spend bandit socialism.

They're only balanced budgets if you decrease taxes while making them. TAXES TAXES TAXES GRMRMRMGMGMGMGM MY MONEY NOT THE GOVERNMENT THIEF'S

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancourier.com/opinion/critics-set-hair-on-fire-over-ndp-s-modest-attempts-to-cool-housing-market-1.23189070

quote:

Critics set hair on fire over NDP’s modest attempts to cool housing market
Calm down, the sky is not falling… and neither are Vancouver house prices

My take on the NDP affordable housing strategy: they wimped out.

So I find it amusing to watch while people set their hair on fire over the provincial government’s modest attempts to cool down the real estate market.

The influx of Chinese — excuse me — foreign capital has been at the heart of escalating real estate values here and many places around the globe.

Anne McMullin, the CEO of the Urban Development Institute, was left to sing that same old song: we need more supply to increase affordability. She also predicted that adding or increasing taxes such as the foreign buyers’ tax will only drive prices up.

But the simple fact is, as a number of academics have concluded, and the Globe and Mail’s Kerry Gold has reported, the problem is not supply — it is a matter of the right kind of supply. We produce more new units of housing per person coming into Metro Vancouver than Toronto or Calgary. But it is the kind of supply that appeals to wealthy foreign and domestic speculators not your average working stiff.

If, as Simon Fraser University’s Andy Yan points out, you can only afford a Honda and all the cars in the show room are Lamborghinis, well, welcome to Vancouver.

It seems unlikely that nothing the provincial government does will stop speculation at some level. We are, historically, hooked on land speculation. It has been a Vancouver addiction since before the great fire of 1886. Hustling real estate, flipping property, was imbedded as a socially acceptable activity even before the Canadian Pacific Railway agreed to extend its rail line from Port Moody to Coal Harbour. And the CPR didn’t get that massive land grant — most of the city of Vancouver — from the province in exchange for that rail line extension because they wanted to set up a dairy farm.

Of course, Metro Vancouver isn’t the only place plagued by housing affordability. That why the NDP’s proposed changes extend beyond here and will include Victoria, Nanaimo and bits of the Okanagan. This has caused the mayor of Kelowna, Colin Basran, to have a severe case of the vapors. “There may be some dire unintended consequences,” he gasped to the CBC. He predicted that taxes like the empty home tax “is potentially going to stop people from investing in our economy.”

Exactly. Because that is part of the problem: Housing is treated as a commodity, like a stock share to make a profit off of and not a place to live.

Barrie McKenna, writing in the Globe and Mail. is even more alarmist. He says if B.C.’s Minister of Finance Carol James “gets her hoped for real estate correction, it could push many home owners into default, depress retirement savings and even trigger a recession.” Wow.

Of course it is not declining house prices that would stretch people. Assuming they could handle their mortgage payments when they bought their house, it would be raising interest rates that may cause them grief.

He also argues parents will have less money to pass on to their kids if prices drop. Well, if prices drop, the kids will need less money to buy their little piece of heaven. Of course, he may want to talk with Anne McMullin (see above) about her prediction that prices will actually go up as a result if the NPD’s measures.

In fact, if I have any criticism of the plan introduced in the NDP’s budget last month, it is this: It simply did not go far enough. At the very least they should have banned foreign ownership of residential property in this province.

Last month Premier John Horgan headed out on a trip to Asia as generations of Canadian premiers and prime ministers have done before him, searching for foreign business and foreign capital to be invested here. Before he left he had this to say about banning foreign ownership of residential property as is done in New Zealand: “British Columbia is the gateway to Canada and I don’t believe we should be curbing people from coming here. I’m the child of an immigrant. Virtually everyone I see here is the child of an immigrant.”

Nobody asked about immigrants. But his answer reminds us that one major reason for the housing affordability problem is that governments of every stripe crave real estate-generated foreign capital filling their treasury to the point they are willing to be duplicitous.

@allengarr

Even this Allen Garr gets it completely wrong. If there is a housing correction, the momentum with which the market rushes for the exits to sell will be unprecedented in scale, as much as this bubble defies sense. Those who hang on because they think they're just going to live in their underwater houses forever because they're such awesome stewards of personal finance are going to get hosed with refinancing at the end of their fixed but really variable rate mortgage terms. BC's economy is already 25% FIRE related. All that massive job growth of the last 5 years has come mostly from construction. This province is hosed if the housing market decides to finally correct and it will be chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/970729306212073472

cool cool