Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Anime is just sharting out whatever now

https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/725672231494279168/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
otoh we got fate//cooking and popteamepic this season

anime sharting is a land of contrasts

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why are Chinese webnovels almost always set in worlds that run on a system that is basically Social Darwinism? Even in traditional Confucian societies there is a basic obligation for the nobles to take care of the people who are under them, but in these novels everybody shits on people weaker than them without regard to loyalties. Kill someone in your clan who has a lower cultivation level and no powerful backer? They probably deserved it, and you'll get a slap on the wrist at most.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Why are Chinese webnovels almost always set in worlds that run on a system that is basically Social Darwinism? Even in traditional Confucian societies there is a basic obligation for the nobles to take care of the people who are under them, but in these novels everybody shits on people weaker than them without regard to loyalties. Kill someone in your clan who has a lower cultivation level and no powerful backer? They probably deserved it, and you'll get a slap on the wrist at most.

Because gently caress you I guess. Most MCs don't have connections either, so it's a driving force for them to grow into OP monsters that nobody can just kill when they feel like it, I suppose?

Also, you can't have good people in charge. Good people exist to die so the protagonist has someone to mourn/avenge, obviously. Therefore, if everyone is evil (or at least pretty drat selfish), it's OK when the MC goes on murderous rampages and kills everyone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Konstantin posted:

As far as I can tell this isn't unique to webnovels and predates them by a fair amount. Some old kung fu movies have something similar.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chronische posted:

Because gently caress you I guess. Most MCs don't have connections either, so it's a driving force for them to grow into OP monsters that nobody can just kill when they feel like it, I suppose?

Also, you can't have good people in charge. Good people exist to die so the protagonist has someone to mourn/avenge, obviously. Therefore, if everyone is evil (or at least pretty drat selfish), it's OK when the MC goes on murderous rampages and kills everyone.

the MC is usually way more evil than the people he's murdering though

like he'll melt the entire city because a starving orphan stole one of his spirit carrots or whatever

e: that's why I want to see a Xianxia Villager series, ordinary people having to deal with rear end in a top hat daoists stealing the sun or refining their dog into a powerful magical treasure sounds amazing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 2, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an exaggerated version of reality. no matter what confucianism says, the people above oppress those below. that's just how stratified societies work, though the severity of the oppression can of course vary. the problem isn't that someone is abusing their authority, but rather that that someone isn't the mc.

murder hobo wn's are power fantasies, but that those fantasies never have the invincible and often immortal demigod protagonists reform an innately un-just society even though it is often totally within their capabilities. the fantasy is about wealth, power and authority for their own sake because that's seen as something to aspire to. revenge and such only provide an excuse.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's an exaggerated version of reality. no matter what confucianism says, the people above oppress those below. that's just how stratified societies work, though the severity of the oppression can of course vary. the problem isn't that someone is abusing their authority, but rather that that someone isn't the mc.

murder hobo wn's are power fantasies, but that those fantasies never have the invincible and often immortal demigod protagonists reform an innately un-just society even though it is often totally within their capabilities. the fantasy is about wealth, power and authority for their own sake because that's seen as something to aspire to. revenge and such only provide an excuse.

it probably also plays into the obsession with luck and how luck is somehow an enviable virtue

part of why cultivation chat group rules is that the daoist sect that's all about murder and death and typical xianxia poo poo is shattered and in hiding because everyone teamed up and stomped their poo poo in for being evil

they still kill each-other when they need to(because daoists are notoriously hard to kill and stubborn so it's better to end fights decisively) but the general rule is to keep normies out of it at the very least

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Konstantin posted:

The Korean webtoon Tower of God (which I read before knowing anything about xianxia, though I'm way behind on it) has a setting like this too, and at the time I thought it was meant as a sort of commentary on what the author saw as the excessive competitiveness of modern South Korean society. I suppose Chinese xianxia stories are similar, except that the social commentary is unintentional.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's not like traditional Confucian society was anything but incredibly idealistic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I pretty much skip anything Chinese aside from Cultivation Chat Group. The writing and setting feels impenetrable, their dao is too strong or something

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 3, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jackard posted:

I pretty much skip anything Chinese aside from Cultivation Chat Group. The writing and setting feels impenetrable, their dao is too strong or something

My Disciple Died Yet Again is pretty good but it's also explicitly subverting a lot of genre staples, both xianxia and more general webnovel stuff.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

just read any 10 chapters of anything Er Gen writes and you'll be able to get all of this thread's weird cultivation injokes instantly

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

just read any 10 chapters of anything Er Gen writes and you'll be able to get all of this thread's weird cultivation injokes instantly

Don't be absurd. Explanations of such terms are as rare as kirin horns or phoenix feathers!

Cultivation terms might be different (Qi condensation, core formation, ect), but the general idea are pretty much the same. Dudes flying around on swords (or without them), battling with things from thousands of floating blades to a magical taoist compass to throwing suns at each other, usually getting more powerful by seizing legacies or cultivation materials from other people, and all acting like giant assholes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Chronische posted:

Dudes flying around on swords (or without them),
So that's where this came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96WFtOOj8G8

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I've read a few of the better regarded Chinese web novels from this topic but I still think Ze Tian Ji handles the cultivation stuff much better than pretty much any of them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chronische posted:

Don't be absurd. Explanations of such terms are as rare as kirin horns or phoenix feathers!

Cultivation terms might be different (Qi condensation, core formation, ect), but the general idea are pretty much the same. Dudes flying around on swords (or without them), battling with things from thousands of floating blades to a magical taoist compass to throwing suns at each other, usually getting more powerful by seizing legacies or cultivation materials from other people, and all acting like giant assholes.

also absolutely everything has an insanely elaborate name

a standard d&d fireball wand would be called a Master Sun Phoenix Inferno Scepter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my introduction to the concept was probably the id manga. most of it was taken up by id throwing out these ridiculous giant attacks with correspondingly ridiculous giant names, with few repeats. when i found out it was based on a wn, i was very confused because how could a story that was 99% about a flashy visual spectacle be conveyed via text alone? based on other webnovels, i suspect the answer is 'poorly'.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

Same. Plus I can never tell if characters are supposed to be male or female unless they have an explicit description in text. Foreign naming conventions :shrug:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
How come terrible murder hobo novels get translated for thousands of chapters while the chill DnD wizard novel gets nothing?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-wizard-raised-through-trpg-is-still-the-strongest-in-the-other-world/ is the chill DnD wizard novel for reference.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Now this sounds like my jam

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

How come terrible murder hobo novels get translated for thousands of chapters while the chill DnD wizard novel gets nothing?

are people constantly astonished at chill dnd wizard's profound cultivation base, i think not

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
dnd is lame and ruthlessly killing people and fantasy monsters is extremely cool

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:laffo: this translator has never heard of John Carter. Too much time reading weeb novels!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Yinlock posted:

are people constantly astonished at chill dnd wizard's profound cultivation base, i think not

They are all very astonished at his knowledge of DnD wizard lore.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

You might enjoy Two Year Emperor (if you feel like buying it afterwards). It's not perfect, but it's entertaining enough. It's about a D&D nerd who gets sucked into a fantasy world, which works by very strict D&D-rules-as-physics, by a summoning ritual by people trying to find someone who'll save their kingdom from multiple grievous threats - which he does by blatant munchkinry and rule exploits.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 3, 2018

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

DisDisDis posted:

dnd is lame and ruthlessly killing people and fantasy monsters is extremely cool

I've never played dnd but if it's anything like being very bad at baldur's gate I am forced to disagree with you.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Megazver posted:

You might enjoy Two Year Emperor (if you feel like buying it afterwards). It's not perfect, but it's entertaining enough.

Does he deal with anime nonsense by being a DnD wizard?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

drilldo squirt posted:

Does he deal with anime nonsense by being a DnD wizard?

It's written by an American, so few cringe moments aren't anime-related.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chill dnd wizard isn't particularly special, but it's not terrible either which puts it above a lot of other webnovels. hell i'll read it, my time isn't precious

he does have the insanely unfortunate title of "grand wizard" though

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want someone to write a wn about whoever the truck driver is who goes around mowing down all these japanese teens and sending them to generic fantasy land

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bakanogami posted:

I want someone to write a wn about whoever the truck driver is who goes around mowing down all these japanese teens and sending them to generic fantasy land

I thought there was one about a self-aware Truck-kun that was tasked with exactly that.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Apparently there's an issue with Chinese Qidian and all the scraper sites isn't updating because of it. Hopefully they fix it soon, because there's no way in hell I'm getting a membership to it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Novelupdates seems to be seeing Qidian series fine.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm talking about China's site, not the English Qidian. Cultivation Chat Group hasn't updated on the scraper site I use because of this.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If ZTJ is putting the gang back together, Luo Luo better be a part of it. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Read through Library of Heaven's Path, mostly because it's No.1 on the Novel Updates rankings. It's fun, quite similar to A Will Eternal in that the protagonist is a mostly good-natured trickster, with a few amusing character flaws, who engages in constant shenanigans and always come out on top due to how insanely OP his Mandatory Special Cheating Trick is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Autonomous Monster posted:

If ZTJ is putting the gang back together, Luo Luo better be a part of it. :colbert:
I just hope she's hit demihuman puberty. It would be a little weird if CCS had no less than three nonhuman girls who look 12 but are actually much older following him around.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Megazver posted:

Read through Library of Heaven's Path, mostly because it's No.1 on the Novel Updates rankings. It's fun, quite similar to A Will Eternal in that the protagonist is a mostly good-natured trickster, with a few amusing character flaws, who engages in constant shenanigans and always come out on top due to how insanely OP his Mandatory Special Cheating Trick is.

Library of Heaven's Path is nicer than most because his main thing is being a teacher so he has some people around he is helping and isn't just constantly an rear end in a top hat to everyone.