Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Obsidian Orbital a thousand materials away from being done. Come see the moment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I did actually stop by Qwent for the first time in a long while to get a lvl1 overcharged powerplant so I could put the lightweight secondary on it. I made sure to tell him to go gently caress himself as I undocked.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Station hasn't changed so don't know when it'll finally be applied.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Qwent is good if you need something slightly more powerful than Farseer's G1 power plant upgrade, but haven't locked Hera Tani yet. He's still an rear end in a top hat, though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rynoto posted:

Station hasn't changed so don't know when it'll finally be applied.

Probably at DT tonight.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So looking up penetration stuff, torpedos seem crazy but apparently they suck?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Knifegrab posted:

So looking up penetration stuff, torpedos seem crazy but apparently they suck?

Good for suicide-ganking, gimmick-builds for nailing dudes in the mailslot.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
How does wing exploration work? Does it share any payout or what?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh very cool! You can stack secondary lightweight mods on top of lightweight mods! :eyepop:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:fry:

Now I get it: you put the secondary effect on the module, then pin the blueprint and leave the engineer behind to max it out! :aaaaa:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Alright, but it's no Cox Ring.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Okay this update is real good. I just did my first Wing Assassination mission and it was cool as hell. It was a 3.5 million credit mission, and it worked like a normal assassination mission except that the mission signal source was Threat 5.

Inside was a security ship at 30% hull and a 6-ship wing of pirates, including our target in an Anaconda.

They were hard enough that the two of us had to work for it, and we were in pretty solid ships. They were also worth another 500k in bounties. Plus now that material storage doesn’t suck we paused after the fighting to salvage their wrecks!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there a pleasant looking colorscheme that keeps enemies red on the radar and doesn't gently caress with character pictures? Is such a thing even possible or it is beyond human ability?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

How does wing exploration work? Does it share any payout or what?

I remember Frontier mentioning this once, but I disregarded it as a joke. Is this a real thing? I can understand dumbasses like me spending literal years in the black void, but doing the same poo poo, but in a group? Are there really that many people without a life playing the game that this makes any sense?

Edit:

I would also like to know how this works. Is this like 4 dudes joining up for 48 hours of consecutive flight to Beagle Point, pissing in bottles to get through this ordeal, or did Frontier imagine this more like "let's hop around a couple dozen jumps and call it a day"?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Maybe you get exploration data from wingmembers? That would be too good, you probably get 1/5 of value.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Okay this update is real good. I just did my first Wing Assassination mission and it was cool as hell. It was a 3.5 million credit mission, and it worked like a normal assassination mission except that the mission signal source was Threat 5.

Inside was a security ship at 30% hull and a 6-ship wing of pirates, including our target in an Anaconda.

They were hard enough that the two of us had to work for it, and we were in pretty solid ships. They were also worth another 500k in bounties. Plus now that material storage doesn’t suck we paused after the fighting to salvage their wrecks!

I tried that with a friend and the instancing system decided to drop us both in our separate little instances with identical pirate ships.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Oh lordy these Core Dynamics Composites will be the death of me

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If you're like me and you kill powerplay NPCs in anarchy systems for sport, you might be surprised to learn: you still get a power bounty and notoriety points even though the system is anarchy.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If you're like me and you kill powerplay NPCs in anarchy systems for sport, you might be surprised to learn: you still get a power bounty and notoriety points even though the system is anarchy.

I noticed this as well as I was grinding out 750 merits. So what does notoriety do? So far I haven't noticed any consequences.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Might cause you to get interdicted by bounty hunters or the cops more.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a reasonable amount of money in missions somewhere? I feel like i can make so much more cash on the road to riches than I can make running bullshit courier and boom data delivery and black box salvage missions.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

Is there a reasonable amount of money in missions somewhere? I feel like i can make so much more cash on the road to riches than I can make running bullshit courier and boom data delivery and black box salvage missions.

Do you have Horizons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgettBYx02A

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
:rolleyes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/411085-100-Million-Per-Hour-Skimmer-missions

some turd on the fdev bug report forums posted:

100 Million Per Hour - Skimmer missions
Severity
Severe

Frequency
Most of the time (75%)

Time of occurrence
Any time

Date of occurrence
Any Time

VR?
None / N/A

37 Ursae Majoris 6 D - Kirtley Observatory

Ship/SRV?
Ship

Ship Type

Commander Name
MP_Astro (made the video)

Description
Watch this video: 100 Mil/Hour - Skimmer missions | Elite dangerous Beyond 3.0 by Down to Earth Astronomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIetvdtMAI

Steps to Reproduce
Do a specific mission: Clean out 37 Ursae Majoris Silver Creative Sentry Skimmer. Always look for missions with 37. The mission is about killing skimmers against that corporation. If you're fully allied take the cash reward. Keep board hopping, cycling through private and open. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes to get about 10 to 20 missions. Then go to 37 Ursae Majoris 6 D - Kirtley Observatory. Then kill the skimmers, hand in the missions, choose cash reward and get paid about 90 to 100 million in one run (1 hour).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks guys! That looks like exactly the kind of bullshit missioning that I was looking for. (Plus fed rep grinding seems handy too, I'd love to get to Sol one day.) Is there a similar spot for Empire rank grinding? Not that it's critical, but it'd be handy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wanna give that dude a wedgie.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just be careful, as someone mentioned in a comment that 37 ursa Corp is a federation Corp. Doing those mission absolutely tanks your fed ranking.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just be careful, as someone mentioned in a comment that 37 ursa Corp is a federation Corp. Doing those mission absolutely tanks your fed ranking.

Can it go negative? I don't have much fed ranking or whatever, so digging a hole now doesn't seem like the biggest deal if it's repairable later.

EDIT: What are the prerequisites to accept the skimmer missions that require you to kill more skimmers? I can take the 2-3 skimmer missions but not the 9 skimmer missions. Do I just need more rep?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 3, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

I noticed this as well as I was grinding out 750 merits. So what does notoriety do? So far I haven't noticed any consequences.

Notoriety has two effects that I can think of.

1) Notoriety is a multiplier on top of bounties you receive for murdering players or NPCs. It goes up by one for each ship you blow up
2) As long as you have non-zero notoriety, you cannot use Interstellar Factors to "clean" hot ships and modules.

It goes down by 1 for every 2 hours in game. Mine is 10 right now, so I've got to go 20 hours in game without murdering anyone before I can do anything about the powerplay bounty.

Instead, I'm planning to slip into a life of crime and recidivism.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Can it go negative? I don't have much fed ranking or whatever, so digging a hole now doesn't seem like the biggest deal if it's repairable later.

EDIT: What are the prerequisites to accept the skimmer missions that require you to kill more skimmers? I can take the 2-3 skimmer missions but not the 9 skimmer missions. Do I just need more rep?

Rep with the local factions is what you need, and then missions start paying up to about 10 mil a go.

Those missions can also (optionally) give some high grade ("rare") materials, which is nice.

The rep you get towards ranks seems a huge amount more than before the patch, and you can pick to have more rep and less cash (or the aforementioned material/data) as rewards to speed through the ranks. I got to the required rank for the Corvette pretty quickly at Sothis/Ceos but this should be even quicker (there are several Fed factions) *and* pays well :D

Presumably this is accidental and will be nerfed soon, so get in quick!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I assume fed rank points carry over if I max one rank but don’t get the rank up mission?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arcturas posted:

I assume fed rank points carry over if I max one rank but don’t get the rank up mission?

confirm

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo how has NO ONE mentioned this? :mad:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It only uses the first three letters/numbers which kind of limits the fun you can have with it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rynoto posted:

It only uses the first three letters/numbers which kind of limits the fun you can have with it.

Yeah, not as fun as I thought: it should just do the whole ship id instead of putting the manufacturer in front. :frontear:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Rynoto posted:

:420:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This Volynov skimmer farming is ridiculous. I started out at 245 million. My next run will push me over a billion. :allears:

Also a great way to grind Fed rank, to boot.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Awesome, I just finished getting allied with the stations in Down to Earth Astronomy's video. But this one is so much better. Thanks!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SMUGGLE 36 UNITS OF NERVE AGENTS FOR THE FUN OF IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh please don't let them fix that mission before I get back from this awful trip

• Locked thread