Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

after really struggling for a while, I unlocked the Smoky Boyz and combined the Rift Walker Combat Mech with the Smoky Jet and Rocket Mechs and now I feel like I'm cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This needs more love. The hazardous mechs playthrough is what I imagineWarhammer's Skaven technology would be like in this universe.

Also, putting armor on the brute mech on Hazardous Mechs turns it into a god.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

agreed, but for all teams

A pure dps team that can do damage to 2+ tiles has no issues with burrowers. Anything with push + damage kills the dudes the create mountains, or the dudes that can't be moved.

Any team that relies on repositioning only, is going to suffer vs those two enemies.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
2nd clear

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truly, a hero deserving of our veneration.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xaris posted:

Holy gently caress this Frozen Island level with two Robotic Labs that spawns artillery robots that intentionally target and blow up your own buildings is loving horseshit. This has to be a bug... right? Why am I defending buildings owning my own poo poo? I would have rather just thrown out the +2 stars and lose Perfect Island than let this map singlehanded destroy an otherwise amazing Zenith run. gently caress

The plot there is that its malfunctioning and they want to fix it but need the aliens taken care of first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for a lot of the ice island level conditions, you don't have to keep the robots alive. sometimes the mine layers or the robot factories are protection targets, but the other robots often don't have any objectives attached at all.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just lost a 3-island Normal campaign two turns before blowing up the hive, as the Flame Behemoths. I forgot to move my artillery mech out of the way, letting it get killed by the hive-attack thing. In my next turn I overlooked an artillery cricket, which killed two buildings and zeroed out the grid. It was such a great run, too, would have been my first Normal victory if I'd avoided either of those two mistakes. BTW Fire fellas > Smokey boys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am really looking forward to the mod community for this if it works out.I really want to see Gundam/Guntank/Guncannon or Getter-1/2/3 squads.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So I don't waste a reset, can someone please tell me what happens to vek at 1 HP when I kill the +1 HP psion.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Argue posted:

So I don't waste a reset, can someone please tell me what happens to vek at 1 HP when I kill the +1 HP psion.

they die

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lotta stuff in lua files in the game directory. I think I'm going to try to make the steel judoka melee mech's attack start at 2 damage instead of one to see if it makes them feel less miserable.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Argue posted:

Yep. They lose one hp. Don't get confused with the regen psion or any o the others, where nothing happens to them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Just beat the game on normal with three ice mechs. That thing is ludicrous, and slapping Harold into one of them made all three even better.

Harold is ludicrously powerful, and he's got a dumb face. Who could ask for more?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Oh poo poo, shields block self icing and bethany can make your ice artillery start shielded.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
What an awesome little game.

Would it be possible to mod the graphics? I like the game as it is, but it would be cool to have some more detailed mechs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

Oh poo poo, shields block self icing and bethany can make your ice artillery start shielded.

mafan gets shields every round, allowing you to never be iced up. that method has a lot of downsides, though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Smoke team seems like the best of the bunch. The jet alone is about as good as some full squads. Last run I also picked up the all-class leap + smoke weapon for the pushbot. Every map was like 75% electric clouds by the end. The artillery mech felt like he might as well not even be there, even though he's great too.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The Hazard Mechs are insane once they get going. I killed the 3rd and 4th bosses on the first round of combat. Having Abe for some armour on the Leap Mech is very helpful.

I feel like I use Abe way too much. Dude has a bad attitude but his skill is so useful.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nephzinho posted:

(break it by firing from a position over a Vek burrow or in the line of fire of something big)

The cryo cannon mech can also unfreeze by using the repair action. It works even with full health as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You never want to do that, that means wasting a turn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

You never want to do that, that means wasting a turn.

Seldom, not never. Sometimes it doesn't have anything else it's doing on a turn, and it's better to have it in action late than never.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Buy game, very first mission I lose my artillery pilot dude because I leave him adjacent to a launching rocket. :downs:

Blessing in disguise though, multiple missions being able to use that thing as a meatblock without worrying about it dying paid off. Managed to beat the first run with the Rift Walkers, although I lost 4 pilots total out of the 6 I ended up with, mostly do to idiocy like not checking how much damage something would do and assuming I could tank it. The pilots ejecting at the end last mission to keep going onward made me a little misty eyed

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Buy game, very first mission I lose my artillery pilot dude because I leave him adjacent to a launching rocket. :downs:

yeah the satellites are set as units with attacks (red marking, easily lost in the mess of vek attacks) rather than an environmental hazard (yellow marking) for some dumb reason

but generic pilots are extremely expendable anyway, as you've noticed

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Prav posted:

yeah the satellites are set as units with attacks (red marking, easily lost in the mess of vek attacks) rather than an environmental hazard (yellow marking) for some dumb reason

Because they are units, as you will learn if you try to clear a satellite stage with three lightning chain robots.

I like three bolt bots, but MAN there are a lot of missions they stone cold can't do.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In my very first run I completed all four islands and made it all the way through to the final enemy turn of the second stage of the final battle. I don't know if there's a third stage but if I had taken exactly one less grid damage or gained exactly one more along the way I would have made it :negative:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

In my very first run I completed all four islands and made it all the way through to the final enemy turn of the second stage of the final battle. I don't know if there's a third stage but if I had taken exactly one less grid damage or gained exactly one more along the way I would have made it :negative:

No third stage! If you had been one damage better you would have won.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man I got to the last mission and lost on normal then switched over to easy and now the game is babytown frolics.

I love it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you are having trouble on Normal, keep at it. The game is "solvable" to the point that you should be able to win 100% of the time on Normal. If you're having trouble, make sure that you slow down and really think through the moves. If you're just moving things around to avoid damage, vek will spawn faster than you can keep up. You need to be killing things and utilizing vek friendly fire (or vek blocking other vek) to stay ahead. If you are in control early you may not want to block because they just come a turn later and instead of having 2 turns of dealing with 3 vek each time, you have a turn where you deal with 2 and a turn where you deal with 4 and are subject to making a big play.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I still find that I wanna block as much as possible. With fewer enemies on the board I can be much more sure I can kill everything and still block more the next turn, whereas letting 3 spawn creates a risk of not being able to kill all of them and having lots of enemies on the board later.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The fire boys are so good. I am really bad with them, but burning the whole map is deeply funny

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fangz posted:

I still find that I wanna block as much as possible. With fewer enemies on the board I can be much more sure I can kill everything and still block more the next turn, whereas letting 3 spawn creates a risk of not being able to kill all of them and having lots of enemies on the board later.

I guess to put a finer point on it, if you start blocking you need to keep blocking to avoid a blowout round.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fangz posted:

Yeah, if I have a choice between killing a Vek or having it block a spawn, I'll almost always let it live (assuming no grid damage results either way).

Whatever was going to spawn would quite possibly take more positioning and damage to kill than the blocking Vek, so in many cases I'm saving unit moves. Plus the free point of damage.

I unlocked the Hazardous squad this morning, and they're... difficult to use. So far I've won on Normal with Rift Walkers, Zenith, and Blitz, but this is going to be quite another challenge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ugh, Steel Joduko why are you so bad? I tried using them for a few rounds but I just can't. Even after kinda-sorta figuring them out.

The Judo-Bot's attack really does need to let you flip a bug onto another bug. Just have both bugs take one damage, and push the bug on the target tile. That little error handling right there would make the Prime and the entire team that much more flexible.

Meanwhile I've yet to get a run really going with them but I at least understand Hazard Team.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After finally beating the game, easy either needs to get a bit harder or normal a bit easier imho.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

WhiteHowler posted:

I unlocked the Hazardous squad this morning, and they're... difficult to use. So far I've won on Normal with Rift Walkers, Zenith, and Blitz, but this is going to be quite another challenge.
You have to be really careful about which maps you're picking with them. Maps with lots of tight streets should usually be avoided, since the Leaper Mech does so much collateral damage. It depends on which enemy types are present on the island though, it's not too bad if most of the enemies are slow or shooty types.

Funnily enough my best run so far is with the Hazardous Mechs, although I ended up with a rather scrappy loadout:

I couldn't find a proper Science weapon for the Nano Mech, so I ended up settling for the artillery and gave the Nanobots to the Unstable Mech. Although unfortunately the Unstable Mech couldn't power up everything even when it was maxed out of power cores. :v:

Archimedes was surprisingly solid on the Leaper Mech, since he could attack across the entire map and then use his bonus move action to block a spawn or enemy shot.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tried my first few rounds and usually limped into the second island. Got enough coins for the smoke boys, so I watched some vids of a very experienced player to see how they do it. He had everyone unlocked for quite some time, except he felt he never liked them and it showed because he merely had them unlocked and nothing else. So he knew the game, but not so much this team.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2fiKYkWHFI6Y5KyHiRGHGQ

Didn't stop him from almost perfecting everything in a 4 island win, even fully removing the smoke from the strategy(pushbot ends up throwing boulders :v:). Thanks to watching him I got a better idea as to what is important in general, and now on my first smoke run I perfected two island and am unsure if I should keep pushing islands or just go try and end it.

E: the experienced player is the developer of Heat Signature btw.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 3, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I guess to put a finer point on it, if you start blocking you need to keep blocking to avoid a blowout round.
I find getting in early blocks means it's easier to get blocks later as well since you have less threats to respond to on the board. I guess it could become a problem if you're low on HP but generally even early blocks seem useful.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Never block anything until your dudes are max XP. This is the same philosophy as seeking out as much combat as possible in FTL for scrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Never block anything until your dudes are max XP. This is the same philosophy as seeking out as much combat as possible in FTL for scrap.

The difference is that scrap stacks infinitely and XP does not, and that the difficulty curves up massively in FTL whereas it's a lot smoother in ItB. I generally have no problem maxing XP with lots of blocking, and blocking lots helps early in the game to get more reputation and maybe a perfect Island 1, which is super valuable.