Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The human royal dynasty is named "Trollbane" and they first met the trolls when the humans were helping the high elves defend the city they'd built on top of a sacred troll ruin, so yeah, humans and trolls don't get along at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For reference, this is what happened in the Troll Wars.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
That looks less like a war and more like a slaughter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lobster22221 posted:

That looks less like a war and more like a slaughter.

It was. Elves taught humans magic specifically so things like that would happen. :v:

The first human king killed so drat many trolls that in WoW, troll NPCs instinctively freak the gently caress out when they see the king's sword and run away because countless of their ancestors were killed by that blade.

The Amani Empire was destroyed by the early humans, and the human kingdoms of Lordaeron, Dalaran, and Stromgarde built on its ashes.

The original inhabitants of the lands that became Stormwind, Kul Tiras, and Alterac didn't fare any better, in case you were wondering. Only the peninsula of Gilneas seems to have been generally uninhabited and unclaimed when humans arrived, save for some ancient outposts of a disappeared race that the human settlers largely avoided.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I'm always learning something new about Warcraft lore. It rightfully has a reputation as retconny and silly, but there is also pretty cool stuff in there as well.

Either that or it is all about how you have it explained to you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

lobster22221 posted:

I'm always learning something new about Warcraft lore. It rightfully has a reputation as retconny and silly, but there is also pretty cool stuff in there as well.

It's a bit of both. Warcraft Lore runs the gamut for legitimately amazing and narmy as all hell to terrible and awkward. There's a particular recurring subject that thankfully never shows up in this game, but was in Warcraft 2 and shows up far more than it should in WoW.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Is it the dragon rape?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It is indeed, and by far more I mean at all, because Dragon Rape should not have become a part of WoW at all, and yet here we are.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The first human king killed so drat many trolls that in WoW, troll NPCs instinctively freak the gently caress out when they see the king's sword and run away because countless of their ancestors were killed by that blade.

Not a joke - Arms warriors in Legion acquired the weapon "Strom'kar the Warbreaker", and it has a passive, hidden effect that's not mentioned anywhere on the weapon, and doesn't come up in current content because Trolls aren't involved in Legion: Nearby troll NPCs get afflicted with a Fear effect that lasts two minutes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fun fact: Trolls can also be Arms warriors and obtain that sword.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Xenocides posted:

I was more curious who was hiring mercenaries before the humans showed up so that they are even around looking for work in the frozen north in the middle of nowhere? Do the Nerubians hire Mercs to fight the Dreadlords and the Undead?
Drakkari trolls, any of the three varieties of Vrykul, Taunka, Ice Dwarves, Wolvar, Gorlocs and human colonies all be in the market for mercenaries given that most of them are involved in at least one war at this point(mostly against the Scourge). "Make sure this army capable of taking down Mal'ganis doesn't run off" sounds like it would be a job they'd all take with gusto.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lobster22221 posted:

Northrend, incidentally, is the true homeland of the humans. The progenitors of the human race are a race of ten foot tall viking giants native to these parts - the vrykul in their colonies in the Eastern Kingdoms died out but their human descendants live on.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Northrend, incidentally, is the true homeland of the humans. The progenitors of the human race are a race of ten foot tall viking giants native to these parts - the vrykul in their colonies in the Eastern Kingdoms died out but their human descendants live on.

I think I remember hearing this and dwarves being being that had the curse of flesh.

edit: looking it up, looks like both humans, dwarves, and other races had it?

More edit: Mechagnomes are apparently a thing. The wiki then lead me to learn of mechanostriders, which look like mechanical chocobos. My respect for WoW lore has increased with this beautiful knowledge.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 3, 2018

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

lobster22221 posted:

More edit: Mechagnomes are apparently a thing. The wiki then lead me to learn of mechanostriders, which look like mechanical chocobos. My respect for WoW lore has increased with this beautiful knowledge.

You may also be interested in one of the other racial mounts, which is literally a chocobo.

Yeah, humans, dwarves and gnomes are all descended from mechanical golems created by the Titans, struck by the curse of flesh that... well, turned them to flesh.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 3, 2018

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
So... they're all Bicentennial Man. But through a curse rather than voluntary alteration.

Man this franchise is weird.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, just in the next expansion of WoW alone, we're set to see bipedal snake people, sentient fox people, and upright talking turtles. And that's not getting into the walking talking koi fish, or the man-sized mantises.

The weirdness of all the various races on Azeroth is just par for the course at this point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Warcraft lore is simultaneously amazing and extremely dumb. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And of course let's not forget that the planet of Azeroth is itself sentient - and female. The king of all demons literally wants to bone Azeroth's soul. :v:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

Warcraft lore is simultaneously amazing and extremely dumb. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Considering wc1 was planned to be a warhammer game, it really is amazing how far it has come. I think. (Insert joke about pauldron sizes)

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Ten foot tall vikings that turn into seaweed half the time.

Basically Giants had deformed babies that turned into Vrykul... who (via curse of Flesh) had deformed babies that became Humanity.

Also, The Norse afterlife is a thing, and you fight in it and beat up Odin.

As is Cthulu, (named C'thun, destroyer of Raids)

Also
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Epicus_Maximus

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

I'm not satisfied unless it can summon cyclones and create illusions/duplicates of the shark

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lobster22221 posted:

I'm not satisfied unless it can summon cyclones and create illusions/duplicates of the shark

the guitarist actually attacks you by rocking out and sending sound waves that one shot you if you don't dodge them. is this acceptable?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

lobster22221 posted:

Considering wc1 was planned to be a warhammer game, it really is amazing how far it has come. I think. (Insert joke about pauldron sizes)
Wait, I thought Starcraft was going to be the Totally Not A Warhammer Game.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Wait, I thought Starcraft was going to be the Totally Not A Warhammer Game.

Not really? The company were fans of the product.

https://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow

The urban legend that I remember hearing once upon a time, was that Warcraft started life under license as a Warhammer game, but GW pulled out last second forcing a retool. The above linked article refutes that, and also links to an article from one of the original developers/producers. The explanation basically amounts to "We were fans, and it influenced us. But we didn't want to do licensing due to previous experiences."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calax posted:

Not really? The company were fans of the product.

https://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow

The urban legend that I remember hearing once upon a time, was that Warcraft started life under license as a Warhammer game, but GW pulled out last second forcing a retool. The above linked article refutes that, and also links to an article from one of the original developers/producers. The explanation basically amounts to "We were fans, and it influenced us. But we didn't want to do licensing due to previous experiences."
I might be thinking of the Starcraft beta (or was it an alpha demo build? I forget.) screenshots where stuff really looked like it came out of Warhammer. Point is, I never really associated the Warhammer connection with Warcraft, that was more Starcraft to me.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I'd heard the StarCraft - WH40k connection too. The Zerg look very much like Tyranids, and the humans certainly do resemble Space Marines... and the Protoss are kinda-sorta Eldar?

WarCraft though is just humans and orcs. Could be Warhammer, considering the era it started in. I mean, Dune II isn't a very good representation of the novels, aside from copying the names of the factions, and the spice.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

painedforever posted:

I'd heard the StarCraft - WH40k connection too. The Zerg look very much like Tyranids, and the humans certainly do resemble Space Marines... and the Protoss are kinda-sorta Eldar?

WarCraft though is just humans and orcs. Could be Warhammer, considering the era it started in. I mean, Dune II isn't a very good representation of the novels, aside from copying the names of the factions, and the spice.

From what I've heard, there was some mutual ripping off. Like, before Starcraft the Tyranids looked pretty different but then after Starcraft they got redesigned to what they look like now. There's also the fact that both of them were heavily influenced by Giger's Xenomorph.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Calax posted:

As is Cthulu, (named C'thun, destroyer of Raids)

C'thun was actually released busted as gently caress because Blizzard didn't think anyone would reach him. A lot of the vanilla raids are kind of like that. He was literally impossible when he was first put into the game.

He's not the destroyer of raids though, that title goes to Algalon the Raid Destroy, he feeds on your tears. Algalon was the bonus secret boss of Ulduar, which is the first true Titan Raid in WoW. It involved fighting a bunch of Robot Fake Norse Gods with names like Thorim and Mimiron. After you do that you fight Yogg'Saron, an Old God of Death, and if you did the hard modes of everything you unlocked Algalon. Who is a creation of the Titans who travels between worlds they've shaped and checks for Old God Corruption, if things are too corrupted he activates the Re-Origination Device on the planet, which resets the planet to it's factory setting the Titans Shaped it to.

The fight happens because he decides to do this, and you and your raid team decide to beat him up until he changes his mind.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Update probably won't happen today or probably not even this week. I'm currently suffering from a nasty cold and am not very good for doing much at the moment beyond watching overly verbose youtube videos dissecting no mans sky.

Once I'm no longer coughing myself to death and can breathe semi normally, the Human campaign will reach its conclusion.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

DoubleNegative posted:

Update probably won't happen today or probably not even this week. I'm currently suffering from a nasty cold and am not very good for doing much at the moment beyond watching overly verbose youtube videos dissecting no mans sky.

Once I'm no longer coughing myself to death and can breathe semi normally, the Human campaign will reach its conclusion.

DUN DUN DUNNNN!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

HE HAD THE PLAGUE! HE MUST BE PURGED FOR THE SAFETY OF HUMANITY!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Seriously though, take it as easy as you need to. Being sick sucks and we all hope you get better soon.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siegkrow posted:

HE HAD THE PLAGUE! HE MUST BE PURGED FOR THE SAFETY OF HUMANITY!

Soon he will become the undead. Better he die at our hands now than suffer such a fate.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
HEAL! HEAL!!!! What, do I need to be as foolishly self-confident as Arthas or Trump for this to work?

Seriously, I enjoy your LP and hope you come back soon.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I BRING FORTH NEWS

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nice job, Siegkrow! Is that canon game text or did you write it yourself? If the latter, good job, I better understand Arthas's thinking now. I still wouldn't like doing as he did personally, but maybe I'd do it now too. Heh.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Oh it is canon, it is part of the Warcraft Chronicles volume 3 preview.

BTW, do ya have a btag?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kudos to the Warcraft Chronicles writers then.

What is a btag? No, I probably don't.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Your WoW battle tag. If you play WoW (or any blizzard game) you have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, I see. I have played Diablo 3 and Warcraft 1-3, also StarCraft 1 and 2, but I'm not sure if I have a Blizzard tag or what it is if I do. I probably do have one somewhere- I have played Diablo 3 with every class but Necromancer (game was too boring for me when that expansion came out, oh well)- I just couldn't tell you what it is. Sorry.

• Locked thread