Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Last time I went rabbit shooting was when I was in the country in 2011 and hillsides in central otago figuratively moved as you came over a ridge as all the rabbits ran for cover.

Gee, I wonder why they are taking according to you such drastic measures? How many hunters do you need to kill 100% of them and are you including pet rabbits? How many hunters are going to die from firearm incidents and other accidents. How much are you going to pay each hunter? By the pelt? Does it have wheel chair access? Helicopter hunting ok? I like knife hunting from one. and how much damage is acceptable from the additional carbon emitted? Do we have to round up a % of them to be adopted as pets?

Failing your exam doesn't have the risk of fatal haemorrhagic disease

What is the level of risk? Are you eating them raw and smearing their blood as war paint? Cutting off the ears to wear as necklaces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Gee, I wonder why they are taking according to you such drastic measures? How many hunters do you need to kill 100% of them and are you including pet rabbits? How many hunters are going to die from firearm incidents and other accidents. How much are you going to pay each hunter? By the pelt? Does it have wheel chair access? Helicopter hunting ok? I like knife hunting from one. and how much damage is acceptable from the additional carbon emitted? Do we have to round up a % of them to be adopted as pets?

Now who's making strawmen?

Like I said, the cost of control as it stands is not insignificant, so I'm sure farmers are champing at the bit to have a cheaper form of control. It's just society at large that has to bear the externality of cost and risk, and I'm not keen on that just to protect farmer's bottom line, tbh. This is the same line of reasoning that has made rivers in Canterbury run dry: we can't control irrigation effectively because "my profits!"

Closer to my current home, it's why the central California valley is currently sinking into the ground and some rural communities have their municipal water run dry: farmers are draining the aquifiers and passing the external cost on to everyone else to maximize their profit.

oohhboy posted:

What is the level of risk? Are you eating them raw and smearing their blood as war paint? Cutting off the ears to wear as necklaces?

That's the problem, we don't know what the risk of cross-species transmission is; we know gently caress all about calicivirus in general. As it stands all we have to go on is that it obviously happened some time(s) in the past, but we haven't seen it happen directly yet. Not the most encouraging data.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 2, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fwiw an exploding rabbit population also means exploding predator populations which destroy native wildlife, so it's not JUST an issue for farmers, it's a conservation issue too

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I'm very concerned about exploding rabbits.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

fwiw an exploding rabbit population also means exploding predator populations which destroy native wildlife, so it's not JUST an issue for farmers, it's a conservation issue too

That's true, and something I hadn't actually considered.

You could make an argument that the increased predator numbers are outweighed by the increased rabbit prey and if we suddenly wipe out a large fraction of the rabbits the predators will be forced to turn to native species, but I take your point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Burn it all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Burn it all.

What's parliament got to do with rabbits?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now who's making strawmen?

Like I said, the cost of control as it stands is not insignificant, so I'm sure farmers are champing at the bit to have a cheaper form of control. It's just society at large that has to bear the externality of cost and risk, and I'm not keen on that just to protect farmer's bottom line, tbh. This is the same line of reasoning that has made rivers in Canterbury run dry: we can't control irrigation effectively because "my profits!"

Closer to my current home, it's why the central California valley is currently sinking into the ground and some rural communities have their municipal water run dry: farmers are draining the aquifiers and passing the external cost on to everyone else to maximize their profit.

That's the problem, we don't know what the risk of cross-species transmission is; we know gently caress all about calicivirus in general. As it stands all we have to go on is that it obviously happened some time(s) in the past, but we haven't seen it happen directly yet. Not the most encouraging data.

If you didn't get it I was mocking you and I wasn't even flying high.

I noted before and the above poster clarified there is serious environmental damage being caused right now by the rabbits. Even if you don't care about the farmers they are eating every bit of vegetation they can get.

Look at it another way, the rabbits kill off all the plants on the plains, now you have a dust bowl and the next time it rains all the soil goes out into sea and the ground retains none of the water. Farmers need a serious kick in the rear end regarding their environmental record and pay the cost for the water plus run-off but cutting them off "Just because farmers" isn't a solution. Next season the rabbits numbers fall off from less food but we have lost the top soil. We are winner!

If the government doesn't do something some fuckwit farmer will and you will get the half rear end, non-scientific release like last time. It has a history we can study and it has co-exisited with humans with no issues for a long time. This time scientists makes the choice not the dude with a blender. You are scared because you want to be scared to use it as an excuse to hit farmers when you should be dragging them down the road about everything else.

The worst thing about you is that you take what people said to use them completely out of context despite it being pretty drat clear what is being said. Hence why I said you're taking the piss because that is exactly the poo poo that is wrong with you.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

If you didn't get it I was mocking you and I wasn't even flying high.

Consider me burned, I guess?

oohhboy posted:

If the government doesn't do something some fuckwit farmer will and you will get the half rear end, non-scientific release like last time.

I dunno, to me the threat of bioterrorism isn't really a compelling argument for rushing forward with a release.

oohhboy posted:

It has a history we can study and it has co-exisited with humans with no issues for a long time.

This specific strain has a specific history in a specific environment for a long time. So do various filoviruses, and they only occasionally jump species to monkeys, and only some of them jump species to humans. Nevertheless, there's a reason why the lab on my campus studying primate filoviruses is locked down to BSL-4. We've only been able to study Calici for a little while, not much work has been done on it, and there's super scant data about just how much they mutate or how often.

oohhboy posted:

This time scientists makes the choice not the dude with a blender. You are scared because you want to be scared to use it as an excuse to hit farmers when you should be dragging them down the road about everything else.

I'm scared because despite not being a virologist, I'm a scientist in the biological sciences and I have a rough grasp on the risks of introducing any lethal virus into any ecosphere where it isn't currently and has never been. It's like introducing weasels to control the rabbits. Yeah, it worked for a while but I doubt you'd say the long-term consequences are desirable. They weren't even foreseen at the time the action was taken.

I agree that rabbit control is a real problem, that costs real money. My points are (and have been) that:

a) There's no way of realistically measuring the risks associated with a calici release and
b) It's a band-aid on a haemorrhaging wound at best - we'll be right back where we are now in 5 years with one less tool in our arsenal. You can also add
c) I'm suspicious of the fact that the public at large will deal with the fallout, and the majority of the economic benefit will go to the farmers lobbying for a release.

oohhboy posted:

The worst thing about you is that you take what people said to use them completely out of context despite it being pretty drat clear what is being said. Hence why I said you're taking the piss because that is exactly the poo poo that is wrong with you.

What about what you're saying am I taking out of context? I quote almost all of your posts point by point. I'm honestly interested.

P.S - I apologise for making fun of you re: being a noted virologist, but lay off the personal attacks, eh?

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 2, 2018

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

please stop

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Talking about political issues in the NZpol thread?

I'm actually p. interested to hear all the points of view, since I seem to be in the minority on this - which is a little unexpected to me.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously, wheelchair access, hunting with a knife from a helicopter, bunny ear necklaces, blood war paint, demanding 100% kill rate, blatantly poor hygiene and unsafe practices didn't tip you off? If you didn't get that there isn't any point giving you a blow by blow, its Sisyphean.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Seriously, wheelchair access, hunting with a knife from a helicopter, bunny ear necklaces, blood war paint, demanding 100% kill rate, blatantly poor hygiene and unsafe practices didn't tip you off? If you didn't get that there isn't any point giving you a blow by blow, its Sisyphean.

Yeah, it told me you were being flippant. There's not a lot I can do with that, tbh.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Sooo how bout that simon bridges accent huh

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

By all means keep debating whether we should be using untested biological warfare to control rabbits but please stop haggling over whether it's "Sisyphean" and just start saying "pointless" because that's what you really mean

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Sooo how bout that simon bridges accent huh

I dislike the guy for many reasons, but that ain't one.

It does give me a bit of cultural cringe, but I get that the minute I step foot back on NZ7 to come back home for a visit these days.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone from New Zealand tried to kill Queen Elizabeth in 1981

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43239736

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Huh, I saw this headline today but didn't realise the guy had actually fired a shot.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
guys it's O Week

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/101910414/bizarre-dump-of-pasta-at-popular-wellington-lookout-mt-victoria

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Possession with intent to supply

aka when you have more than a joint the onus is on you to prove you arent a dealer

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

aka when you have more than a joint the onus is on you to prove you arent a dealer

This was like 5 pages back but whatever. The police have significant discretion here but no you'd need more than just a couple of joints for the police to bother bringing that charge

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oohhboy posted:

Someone from New Zealand tried to kill Queen Elizabeth in 1981

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43239736

Haha not only that but we covered it up because if the Queen found out she might not come back! I love this country

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He got the gun and the calibre wrong for that range, too.

That's some special incompetence.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

echinopsis posted:

It's... 4 ounces? I think? A very specific amount, anyway.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have the metric system here mate.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's... 4 ounces? I think? A very specific amount, anyway.

Are you sure it's a specific amount? I didn't think there was

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^ Yes, Schedule 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act sets out the exact quantities beyond which possession is presumed to be for supply.

It's 28 grams, which is one ounce, because the assumption is that you'll only buy an ounce to divide it up into tinnies and fifties for sale to your mates.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

^^ Yes, Schedule 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act sets out the exact quantities beyond which possession is presumed to be for supply.

It's 28 grams, which is one ounce, because the assumption is that you'll only buy an ounce to divide it up into tinnies and fifties for sale to your mates.

Possession over the stated amount creates a negativable presumption, I.e. The defence have to convince the Court that it wasn't for supply, on the balance of probabilities iirc. Which is possible, a friend of mine did it.

E: even though it was literally bagged up to sell, lol i'd forgotten that part of it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 2, 2018

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I've definitely had friends get out of dealer charges - "those tinnies help me space it out over the month". Just don't let people get stuff on tick and write it down, that'll get you busted.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick of those actually in parliament not understanding that being in coalition is different to offering confidence and supply? (Re: Bridges on The Nation)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
What did bridges say to provoke this unseemly outburst!?!?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Going to assume he said Green Party is in coalition with Labour. He probably does know and is intentionally muddying the waters.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

klen dool posted:

What did bridges say to provoke this unseemly outburst!?!?

"Last time I checked, New Zealand First was in coalition with the Greens."

But yeah, it definitely serves his purposes for people to think that.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Pararoid posted:

"Last time I checked, New Zealand First was in coalition with the Greens."

But yeah, it definitely serves his purposes for people to think that.

They effectively are though, right? The terms of the coalition are probably looser between greens and labour/nzfirst than the terms between labour and nzfirst - does coalition have another, more specific meaning when used in NZ politics? Like it's a bit of jargon now?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Officially our government is a coalition between Labour and NZ First, with the Greens providing confidence and supply and getting several ministers in exchange. It basically saves face for Winston to not 'be in coalition with the Greens'

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The Green Party agrees to provide confidence and supply support to a Labour-led Government
for the term of this Parliament. The Green Party will oppose any no confidence motions and will
support Budgets developed in accordance with this agreement. The Green Party will determine its
own position in relation to any policy or legislative matter not covered by collective responsibility
as set out below. Labour in turn supports the areas of priority set out in this document, alongside
its policy programme.

It's a specific agreement. I mean I guess its to be expected that average kiwi considers it all the same, but it's extremely dishonest for someone who works in politics to imply they are.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are in coalition in in all but name, like how Taiwan is a country in every way that is important functionally. It's window dressing and everybody knows it. It's convenient for everyone in the coalition. Winston gets to play king maker and the partners get some of their policies made law, win win.

National is acting like sovereign citizens that pretends gold trim on the naval flag means the cop who pulled them over has no authority over them every time they say they have more votes than everyone else and should be in government. It's bunk and in this case dangerous as it seeks to illegitimate the system of government. It's a pretty horrifying new low for them as they continue to bring in more and more American ideas to gain power by breaking the very system that gives them that power.

Its the kind of poo poo that borders on sedition as it seeks to undermine the very idea of the system of governance.

Saying a party is bad or they are going things wrong or you don't like them and they should gently caress off is fine or as an random individual say the system of government has to change but as an MP or a political party saying it gives it a lot more weight and makes it a threat. Not saying they should be thrown into jail or ejected from government as prosecution on a political basis is even worse but National should be made aware of the extremely dangerous play they are making.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or he's just another bumbling idiot who's no good at hiding it compared to his predecessors.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol eat poo poo gareth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

drat Labour did a good job fundraising this time

• Locked thread