Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Good Dumplings posted:

what's a good name for the tell-all article after this explodes, I'm thinking "Game Commander III: Heart of the Shyster"

"Has Been/Never Was: The Chris Roberts Story" by Mae Demming

Taxx

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

just scientists shooting goo into each other

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Milky Moor posted:

I'm a few days behind but the weirdest thing to me is having grown up as a huge sci-fi nerd, I basically watched HFY or whatever it's called grow from this joke everyone hated in online sci-fi fandom to, well, what it is.

I don't mean RSF in particular, that's existed for years, but the certain strand of it that is ridiculously inspired by Warhammer 40k.

Right there with you. I escaped into /r/rational for a while, they had a streak of great fiction but in the last couple years have devolved into a thousand "Naruto but he's smart this time" fanfics and incredibly boring spergy overly-detailed writeups of their latest JRPG adventure. It's like RA Salvatore got a visit from the autism fairy. So at the moment I've run out of sources for decent online fiction and have swung back to books. Luckily I have like 8 Terry Pratchett novels to catch up on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good Dumplings posted:

what's a good name for the tell-all article after this explodes, I'm thinking "Game Commander III: Heart of the Shyster"
Out of Space

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

this lawsuit is becoming Star Citizen, you just don't know when will it happen

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sarsapariller posted:

Right there with you. I escaped into /r/rational for a while, they had a streak of great fiction but in the last couple years have devolved into a thousand "Naruto but he's smart this time" fanfics and incredibly boring spergy overly-detailed writeups of their latest JRPG adventure. It's like RA Salvatore got a visit from the autism fairy. So at the moment I've run out of sources for decent online fiction and have swung back to books. Luckily I have like 8 Terry Pratchett novels to catch up on.

Well, I'm actually writing some online fiction at the moment. I don't know if you'll like my web novel, but the link is there in my avatar (and it's not either of those things!) I could talk for aaaages about that particular creative landscape.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ben Lesnick: Room To Maneuver

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Milky Moor posted:

I'm a few days behind but the weirdest thing to me is having grown up as a huge sci-fi nerd, I basically watched HFY or whatever it's called grow from this joke everyone hated in online sci-fi fandom to, well, what it is.

I don't mean RSF in particular, that's existed for years, but the certain strand of it that is ridiculously inspired by Warhammer 40k.

40k, for example, is something that has gone from 'tongue in cheek' to 'out and out fascist' over the years. I think they've tried to fix this up over the past two or three years but the damage is done. For every person who gets that it's supposed to be stupid, there's a dozen who think it'd just be kicking rad for Space British Superpeople to cut down the filthy minor-- I mean xenos and mutants.

edit: Oh, and Halo seems to be a huge one, too. TFOR and other books made it clear that the UNSC was not a great place (I mean, they had the SPARTAN program...) and the Insurrectionists had points, but more recent years have shifted it to gently caress THOSE GUYS WE NEED OUR SUPER SOLDIERS, HFY HFY

The sad irony about HFY in those cases is that this relentless and dorky pro-humanity attitude people take tends to manifest in these settings full of the worst cases of dehumanisation. They have this weird celebration about humanity taking the fight to the impure even though in 40k the entire premise of humanity is that it has had to embrace most of the stuff it rages against openly in order to function. Humanity is big and scary because it has eschewed most of what made it human.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Good Dumplings posted:

Money for nothing (and your ships for cash)

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Tokamak posted:

The /r/starcitizen phrase of the week is: Fishing Expedition

Whales bemoan unscrupulous fishing expedition.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Why would your ordinary, everyday Citizen be worried about discovery?

Hmmmm.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The Titanic posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OVymn2B.gifv
Good to know all that motion capture has been totally useless. This looks ridiculous and not like a human mouth moving.

This kind of thing kind of confirms all of the leaks about the rigging being hosed up. That mouth moving isn't a human speaking that was motion captured, it's someone grabbing landmarks on the face and manipulating them frame by frame to make a character talk like a puppet. It looks so fake because it is identical to grabbing someone's face in real life and trying to make them talk convincingly with your hands.

It's pretty funny when they've plowed like 100 mil into the world's most expensive motion capture project but you still have people clicking and dragging poo poo around. Hamill looking you up and down in that Squadron 42 trailer looks so weird because they over exaggerated and dragged way too many of his features to follow his gaze down and back up beyond what a normal facial movement would be.

It's extremely labor intensive too, hours and hours of footage over millions and millions of frames. When you motion capture someone waving their hand, but then it fucks up and you have to make someone manually distort the rig to drag the hand back and forth in a waving motion you are just wasting twice the money and it will never look authentic. You get a quadkill bonus when your manager is an idiot that wants everything to be constantly remade.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm a ~gravity scientist~ ama

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Pineapple on pizza, yea or nay?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
That's heavy

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

How do I get gravity goo stains out of velour?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Combat Theory posted:

Talking about the future...

I can't say what I am working on right now, but it has tracks and more than 1000 Diesel HP.

:killdozer:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I am not a lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76VwCNZvQ1g

I am a broken, mouth-breathing, obsessive troll with nothing better to do than make my opinion heard

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

first

:gary:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a further gift, here's the calendar from the video:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Pineapple on pizza, yea or nay?

fruit in food is wrong :catstare:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We use tomato in and on lots of things though

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
that tetris bit was amazing Bootcha

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Not C&D'd. Yay!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

I am a broken, mouth-breathing, obsessive troll with nothing better to do than make my opinion heard

Ho

Le

poo poo

I can't imagine how much work went into that jpeg sale rundown, all the animations and dates alone. I was laughing my butt off at the absurdity of it all. Superb delivery, well done. :five:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

:five:

It's always nice to see something like the Tetris thing to be reminded of the actuall absurdity of it all.

Well done! (the video, not the steak) :golfclap:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

:five::five::five:

I know I’m biased (particularly about this one) but I really do feel it’s a serious heavy-hitter from start to finish. I am sure it will infuriate Zealots but I’m hard pressed to see how the core arguments can be refuted aside from “Goooooons!” :argh: There’s just too much that’s too heavy to brush off.

In this new era of hypersensitivity about Microtransactions, Chris Roberts’ shamelessness about Macrotransactions hasn’t yet be subjected to the new harder scrutiny. Only earlier today, Kotaku addressed the new climate and its impact on the DICE crew making the next Battlefield game. They seem a little shell shocked still.

Chris’s business model has, for the most part, been tacitly tolerated even as its excesses horrify many and the abuses of trust mount. He’s overdue for a re-evaluation and it’s clearer than ever why. I personally believe this year will not be a steady state year for CIG as the last many largely have. 2018 doesn’t end without the old, dead Thesis of Chris Roberts 6 year sales pitch giving way completely to the Antithesis of it. This video shows very clearly exactly why this must be so.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 3, 2018

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

fruit in food is wrong :catstare:

Apple pie.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

You've done another great one. I can't imagine it was easy to make something on a subject so dense with insanity like the ship jpgs.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

So many god drat space ships. Well done.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

Excellent vid Bootcha. That must have taken a lot of work.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
i almost forgot the potato

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

Excellent choice of music.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bootcha posted:

As a further gift, here's the calendar from the video
Excellent video, Bootcha!

But, could you clarify the significance of the icons on the calendar. Presumably the rocket is for ship sale, but the other ones?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

As someone who followed all the sales and until fairly recently read about the new ships, well done on the incredible amount of work involved in collating all this.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

Excellent video, Bootcha!

But, could you clarify the significance of the icons on the calendar. Presumably the rocket is for ship sale, but the other ones?

Yeah I forgot to put a legend in there.

Green line was the initial crowdfunding drive.
Red lines are for any time "something is on sale"
Preaching man is for a major presentation event, like Gamescon or Citcon.
The present is for major module releases, like AC, SM, and 3.0.
The little patches are for, well, minor patches to the public builds.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

Best one yet.

:gizz:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

I can lipread purple alien.

He's saying, "get a refund".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bootcha posted:

I am not a lawyer.

Oh my god the insanity of it all

The INSANITY

Amazing job on this