Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh poo poo there's like, an actual prologue when you start the game up now. Dangit I just wanted to update... I... I guess I'll get some lore. That's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Keep an eye out in the level for candles marked with a white circle, they're tied to a grim. I've only found one before the eponymous war camp in the new level.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Queek Headtaker in the Prologue??? Beside Rasknitt at the beginning, look-see.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That's just what Skaven Warchiefs look like

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Well that wasn't bad. Perfunctory, but nice-looking at least. Definitely sets up an actual narrative, where the first game was just a series of cool poo poo with grey seer Rasknitt at the end.

Whatshisface Ribspreader has absolutely no idea what he signed up for when he hinged his plan on anything skaven working on time and as advertised and that's very funny to see Chaos' pompous bubble get popped by sheer rattiness.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Dropping the special from five (whoa) to 1.5 seems a bit much, two would be pretty good still but oh well.

rip the CANNON

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Good maybe we'll see more mercs. I want more people sharing Paced Strikes at level 15 because that's a good loving skill.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i really wanted to play this last night but my khemri team’s first match was against my friend’s skaven so i was participating in spirit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kruber is fun, dwarf is fun, gonna try the rest today

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lunethex posted:

Good maybe we'll see more mercs. I want more people sharing Paced Strikes at level 15 because that's a good loving skill.

I really love playing merc because he is the ultimate party support while still being super good at slaughtering things. Permanent Paced Strikes for the whole party in hordes and half cooldown shout to stun waves/stun bosses plus a nice little buffer of temporary health every time you do it is extremely nice on a character that is already really good at slashing through swarms. Only party support that compares is Witch Hunter Captain and literally no one plays WHC because of how shiny Bounty Hunter is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can't beat WHC's hat game, though. Not without being Merc, anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd play Merc and WH Captain with people I know, but when rolling with pubbies you best believe I'm taking classes that can burst damage on bosses like crazy. But I suppose my mind may change once I level up some more and get better talents.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

am i correct in understanding that loot boxes are assigned stuff for the class you earned them as, or are they for the class you open them with? can i beat a mission as one character i have good equipment for and then open the box with a character i have lovely stuff for to try and leapfrog them up?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They are for the class you open them with.

[edit]Also their power level depends on your character with highest power level, so you can definitely leap frog new characters if you've got a few boxes stored up.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know the game is new, but what is the community like around it? Bearable, or full of sassy internet stereotypes? I’d be buying the game to play mainly with a few friends who have been spread around the country, but I’m sure I’ll play outside of that too... and I am an old cranky man these days and playing with strangers is something I never really enjoyed (especially after playing Overwatch).

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Like any other online video game it has it's mix of competent players and bad players. It's a toss up depending on what game you join, the game relies on teamwork though so pubbies can be frustratingly bad sometimes (the elf)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From blindly rushing at every mob in sight, to insisting on grabbing every tome and grimoire, to running all the way ahead or getting lagged behind...the elf is there. Goddamn elf.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SO what's the best Kruber sub-class now?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know the game is new, but what is the community like around it? Bearable, or full of sassy internet stereotypes? I’d be buying the game to play mainly with a few friends who have been spread around the country, but I’m sure I’ll play outside of that too... and I am an old cranky man these days and playing with strangers is something I never really enjoyed (especially after playing Overwatch).

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Like any other online video game it has it's mix of competent players and bad players. It's a toss up depending on what game you join, the game relies on teamwork though so pubbies can be frustratingly bad sometimes (the elf)

It's kind of nebulous, but I've found the community to be friendlier compared to some other online games. In random games, people seem to be generally more willing to offer advice when someone fucks up as oppose to abuse. People will often use healing items on other party members that need them rather than just hording them or topping off themselves. Of course, there are always bad players and assholes, and they will almost without fail be playing the elf.

fadam posted:

SO what's the best Kruber sub-class now?

Not knight, his beard game is weak.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I don't care about competent or incompetent players when I'm pubbing. I care more about a teammate not being a total shitlord jerk.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rufio posted:

I don't care about competent or incompetent players when I'm pubbing. I care more about a teammate not being a total shitlord jerk.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! I don’t mind bad video game players since, well, I’m bad at video games myself. But I want at least an ounce of decorum in my rat killing fantasy games.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I knew there was some kind of bug with the drakefire. Being able to fire for the full 5 xeconds without charging up M2 made for a very powerful weapon.

Heat generation must have been hosed as a result, because when I put on my heatsink talent I could LITERALLY shoot it forever.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The average vermintide player is freakishly polite by internet gamer standards and is a major reason I stuck with the first game, specifically in contrast to how comp Overwatch can get. In a frankly disgusting number of hours split between the two games I can count the problem children I've run into on one hand with fingers left over. Pubs can be frustratingly bad and oblivious, but for every Saltzpyre who fights in the wide open and sucks up all the healing, there's a Bardin who carries your butt over the finish line when its your turn to have a crap round, and even at its worst it never really becomes toxic. Everyone just likes hitting rats and GWAR fans so hard gear falls out of them! Keeps everyone friendly, it does.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hope they lift every single line and party banter sequence from VT1 and all its DLCs into this game so I can have an endless variety of great character sounds. I've noticed the return of old favorites like "fine axe work? You hacked him to bits! / Well, he wouldn't hold still, would he?" alongside new goodies like "kill the wizard or die in a heap of bone-strewn dung" and I want them all. I just want them all. Especially the famous "is Okri real?" conversation.

However, some new lines are no bueno. You all noticed the elf is a dickhead to the wizard now? She never used to give Sienna poo poo but now there's this "elf toddlers do what you do" poo poo coming out constantly.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

However, some new lines are no bueno. You all noticed the elf is a dickhead to the wizard now? She never used to give Sienna poo poo but now there's this "elf toddlers do what you do" poo poo coming out constantly.

Big shocker, Kerillian is all bluff and bluster. When she uses a bandage on BW one of her lines is a worried "I can't have you bleed out Sienna, you're the least annoying one :ohdear: "

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Why is the halberd so much fun? Without paced strikes it'd not be the same though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

Why is the halberd so much fun? Without paced strikes it'd not be the same though.

Because it's a giant axe on a stick that's also a spear why else.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Actually I figured it out: because it hits more than 1 chaos marauder. I love how simple the combo is too. People kept calling it wonky when it's 100% fine.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lunethex posted:

Actually I figured it out: because it hits more than 1 chaos marauder.

and the charged block attack is fast as gently caress and perfect for doinking Stormvermin in the head.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lunethex posted:

High damage, good range, yet oddly fast for what it's capable of. My dream come true.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
"Huntsman active ability raw damage multiplier set to 1.5 for the duration of the ability (instead of 5)"

:negative:

Oh well, I still enjoy Huntsman a lot, and with a strength potion, he'll still probably be good at whomping on bosses. It's probably for the best as that active skill was fuckin bonkers

I do have a Niblheim sword/shield with like -30% block stamina cost and a necklace with -20% so I'm interested in maybe trying those out on a Kruber to see if I can become an impenetrable wall

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just noticed that I still have the closed test client installed (the game entry reads closed test) rather than the regular client. They won't be merging the two and I'll need to redownload everything, right?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I only pub, because I both hate myself and I know how to contain the pubbies. But I was getting annoyed with the constant tug of war spread and lack of attention in my team and I said

"You've got to stop this. Too much rushing no attention"

And not to continue the stereotype but: Elf: look at our levels we have no reason to lose

Less than 3 minutes later: Bright Wizard and Elf go down, dwarf barely hangs on.

I'm Merc Kruber and I was #1 everywhere of course.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

elves developing wanderlust and being several hundred yards behind everyone else seems to be a recurring thing I've been running into as well.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what difficulty it is or what level you are because this is Vermintide and you will die in the most inane ways. if you aren't in LoS of a teammate or within 30m of them back the gently caress up.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Lunethex posted:

I only pub, because I both hate myself and I know how to contain the pubbies.
I only pub, because despite being in discord and the steam group I have no clue where goons are forming groups.

Me dumb.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some of the banter is pretty funny. Had a Saltzpyre use a healing draught while almost at full health, and Sienna just went "Saltspyre..." In a condescending tone, to which he responded "The wound was deep, I could hardly stand!"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Malkof posted:

I only pub, because despite being in discord and the steam group I have no clue where goons are forming groups.

Me dumb.

have a Four Part Plan

1. Be in discord and the group steam chat
2. Ask who wants to kill rats in discord and join a room looking for players or start filling an empty one yourself
3. Add folks on steam (this is where the group steam chat comes in handy) because the game is weird about joining lobby instances of people who aren't on your friends list
4. Do it to it Hewitt Prewitt.

Hexenritter posted:

I just noticed that I still have the closed test client installed (the game entry reads closed test) rather than the regular client. They won't be merging the two and I'll need to redownload everything, right?

Yes.

Hexenritter posted:

elves developing wanderlust and being several hundred yards behind everyone else seems to be a recurring thing I've been running into as well.

I'd blame regenerating health, but in the first game.... :(

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

3. Add folks on steam (this is where the group steam chat comes in handy) because the game is weird about joining lobby instances of people who aren't on your friends list

I hope they fix this soon. Makes joining a game more awkward than it should be.

• Locked thread