Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
So I'm still fairly new to the game, and I've taken a shine to Gigas. I love his style, his big meaty jab punish, and his satisfying and easy to perform juggles. The problem is, I simply cannot handle most characters pressure. I keep trying to punish at the wrong time in jab strings, using his tiny backdash is not working out well, and I'm finding myself getting clowned on by more evasive characters like Nina. On more slow/easy to read characters like King or Paul, I tend to do fairly decent, as it's easier for me to see the opportunities to work in my pressure safely between or in the gaps of strings. What I'm wondering is, should I stick with him and just get good, or should I consider trying another character with more varied options? I've been thinking Jack might be a solid choice, seeing as how he has those giant arms as well as more solid mixup options from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Can't hurt to crib some of their best moves and general gameplan and just take a character for a spin for 20-30 matches, see what you think of them.

I got all my characters up to Mentor (apart from Miguel, who I forgot existed). Now onto Expert. Had 7 promotions and 2 demotions so not doing too badly. Started making clips of promotions and anything else notable, here's my Feng promotion from tonight (watching it back, the number of times I whiff in less than a minute is disgraceful):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAcpBHakk8U

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Gigas is easily one of the worst characters in the game. Jack is excellent and pretty straightforward. You should switch.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
I'm a great fan of Tekken! But played only Tekken 3 and 5(

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

unstucker posted:

I'm a great fan of Tekken! But played only Tekken 3 and 5(

How are you a great fan of Tekken if you never played the best one, TTT?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I seem to remember that JF Demo Man was necessary for Paul as the regular wouldn't work in all situations required. Am I remembering correctly? Also now in 7, all it does is add a little damage, right?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

I seem to remember that JF Demo Man was necessary for Paul as the regular wouldn't work in all situations required. Am I remembering correctly? Also now in 7, all it does is add a little damage, right?

Yeah it's basically just for Feels Good Bonus Sparkles now. When it was added in T4, there was no non-JF version and you were extremely hosed if you flubbed it (because then you've just done d+4,2 and lol rip); once they added non-JF it wasn't all that important to nail it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I'm having lots of diifficulty doing micro movement for juggles even with low execution characters. Stuff like the second hit Asuka's ff2,1 always missing because of distance. Any tips?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Brosnan posted:

Gigas is easily one of the worst characters in the game. Jack is excellent and pretty straightforward. You should switch.

Gigas is dope but you need a real high skill ceiling and exceptional spacing control to make him work.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

mango sentinel posted:

So I'm having lots of diifficulty doing micro movement for juggles even with low execution characters. Stuff like the second hit Asuka's ff2,1 always missing because of distance. Any tips?

You can buffer dash during recoveries. Take advantage of that to move a little closer.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

mango sentinel posted:

Can you be more specific about what the juggle is? I've been practicing Josie's ws2,1 micro-dash d+3,4 which is tricky but not impossible. It really comes down to just hammering out the dash and immediately going to the down, and hitting the directions clean.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Asuka's standard combo after most launches is:

ff2,3 2,1,1+2 ff2,1

If you don't dash far enough before the ff2,1 the last hit can miss (in my experience, it's a bit more common from some launchers than others. Been a bit so I don't remember which ones).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Kantesu posted:

Asuka's standard combo after most launches is:

ff2,3 2,1,1+2 ff2,1

If you don't dash far enough before the ff2,1 the last hit can miss (in my experience, it's a bit more common from some launchers than others. Been a bit so I don't remember which ones).

Trying this off of df2, I'm having trouble recreating the problem OP had. Managed to do it once but otherwise the full thing connects pretty easily.

The best advice I can give is that you have more time than you think to catch up after a screw, so don't be afraid to let the dash move a little further. Depending on the move you're using, you can still get full hits after your opponent has visibly hit the ground.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorbz7IXsPQ

If I try to delay too much I just dash forward standing 2. I dunno what I did the third time I didn't the first two.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Trying it a few more times on Kazuya, you're most likely hitting ff2,1 a tiny touch too early. Screw followups are rarely microdashes, and this one is no exception. You should definitely see Asuka move a significant amount before you press 2,1.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of dashes, I really struggle to get Lee's WR 2,3 into ff+3. His kick just never seems to connect at all. Am I supposed to buffer the dash or something?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Sundance Shot posted:

Speaking of dashes, I really struggle to get Lee's WR 2,3 into ff+3. His kick just never seems to connect at all. Am I supposed to buffer the dash or something?

it's just tight as hell and the purple rank lees i watch drop it all the time in real matches anyway so good luck. you can buffer the first forward input but the second and the 3 have to be when you're free to act. the thing that helps me get it more often is trying to time it so that the f+3 comes out when lee's leg is back on the ground but your mileage may vary

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the tip dude. Trying to learn Lee is certainly a challenge. I know it's the scrub in me talking but it seems like the ratio of effort to reward is really not great for Lee, especially in comparison to someone like Dragunov. I have no idea how anyone can be in tune with the universe enough to pull out a mist trap under pressure and even if you can it just doesn't seem worth the effort to do.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Sundance Shot posted:

Thanks for the tip dude. Trying to learn Lee is certainly a challenge. I know it's the scrub in me talking but it seems like the ratio of effort to reward is really not great for Lee, especially in comparison to someone like Dragunov. I have no idea how anyone can be in tune with the universe enough to pull out a mist trap under pressure and even if you can it just doesn't seem worth the effort to do.

Yeah no one does mist trap in real matches pretty much, even acid rain is only done very, very rarely. Before the big buffs his effort to reward was pretty wack, but now he gets Quite Good Damage from all the effort you put in, instead of mediocre damage that probably also would drop even slightly off axis, so hey! his low parry combo does only like 1 less damage than Leo's df2 combo! wow!!!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Started videoing all of my promotions, going through Expert now. Had a really good go with Claudio last night but couldn't quite string enough wins together to get a promotion match (also I'll deathmatch anyone with a good connection even if it means losing 8 in a row against a brilliant Yoshi).

Some successes:
Law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUN9pQlvEU
Kazumi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2XJE2F-WJ4 Pressure is telling here, I'm so stiff and defensive.
King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxtk5ac4Me0

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My goodness these are some bad players.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I can barely play two characters at a pathetically low level so I can't really poo poo talk at all but I've been seeing that guy post about his quest for weeks and was wondering if they were ever going to realize that the blue ranks mostly correspond to 'finally remember my characters movelist but I'm new to Tekken and don't have fundamentals or do any real movement'. (FYI, I definitely fall in that category)

Or they knew that if you get one character up to....somewhere not that high, all your characters get auto promoted to that level.

But hey, can't fault the enthusiasm.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 27, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brosnan posted:

My goodness these are some bad players.

Let's see some of your replays Brosnan!

(for the record I am a self admitted bad player)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've ever saved replays of myself unless something funny/cool happened or someone fell for something dumb. I can look a lil later though.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

This is what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorbz7IXsPQ

If I try to delay too much I just dash forward standing 2. I dunno what I did the third time I didn't the first two.

A few weeks late here but usually off that launcher (and f+2 and ws3 and a couple others) you should probably do ff2,3 123s! U/f 3, d/f 3. Its 1 less damage than what you're doing but much easier online and gives you much better oki since the oppenent lands closer to asuka. It also sets up the stupid f3 unblockable mixup tech trap gimmick if you drop the part after the screw if you like that kind of crap. Usually i only do the the 2,1,1+2 screw and ff2,1ender if if its specific to the lancher like b3, or for a long distance wall splat.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

I can barely play two characters at a pathetically low level so I can't really poo poo talk at all but I've been seeing that guy post about his quest for weeks and was wondering if they were ever going to realize that the blue ranks mostly correspond to 'finally remember my characters movelist but I'm new to Tekken and don't have fundamentals or do any real movement'. (FYI, I definitely fall in that category)

Or they knew that if you get one character up to....somewhere not that high, all your characters get auto promoted to that level.

But hey, can't fault the enthusiasm.

Yes, I realise how bad I am at Tekken, my best character is only at Brawler. To be honest, I struggle in blues with some chars even knowing them quite well. Next auto-promote for me would be Warrior, which promotes everyone to Grand Master but I'm not getting there anytime soon. Besides, learning new guys to semi-competent level is fun to me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I'm not hating, I'm literal dogshit who hasn't hit the green ranks with anyone, I just thought it was a bit of a strange moot project.

I'm probably projecting super hard because my usual fighting game paradigm involves me being kinda mediocre with one or two characters and then playing anyone else like someone who's never played the game in their life. People who can play a whole cast competently blow me away. For me I feel like it takes me so long to internalize the buttons and combos for any given character that once I actually have them down I get grumpy going through the process all over again if I start someone new.

I gotta start playing Tekken again, I was on a DBZ hiatus. It's good, but I'm craving some methodical footsies and spacing.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's actually particularly important to do in Tekken. I think at some point in Tekken 5 I decided to get every character to Tekken Lord (you could do this against the AI, it was separate from online play) so that I'd at least know what their key moves and strings were, and maybe a couple basic-rear end juggles. Playing Mokujin against weaker friends also helped with that. It makes it a lot easier to understand what you're seeing when you fight other characters.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, you're not wrong. Getting character knowledge/matchup in Tekken is a deep, long process. I find it harder than in other games because

1)the sheer volume of options of most of the characters

2) the lack of 'signature/special' moves. I mean, they're still there especially with some characters (deathfist, hellsweep, etc.). But like, you can immediately look at Ryu's movelist and play against him a few times and say 'ok I gotta game plan around the way hadouken and shoryuken compliment each other'. With Tekken, I find identifying the moves blowing you up and developing responses to them much harder. Whether it's because they're buried in a movelist, are part of a string with four different options, or are just an uncommon punish it's a lot less standardized.

Which obviously just means I should play more and mess around with more characters w/e, just narrating my thoughts here.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Learning framedata for all the things in Tekken is a god drat nightmare too.
There are insane number of strings that every character has in Tekken and a lot of them aren't very distinct either.

What makes the matters worse is that Tekken 7 doesn't even have replays to help you out, so if you wanna know how to punish that annoying move you got wrecked by online, you better start going through the whole 150 moves long movelist of that other character and you better remember what that specific move looked like.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you have a PC, every game has replays.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brosnan posted:

If you have a PC, every game has replays.

Recording the matches won't show you the inputs of the other guy.
You'll still have to look thought the whole god drat movelist to find that one specific move you're looking for.

TekkenBot overlay is the only saving grace for learning frame data in Tekken really.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Recording the matches won't show you the inputs of the other guy.
You'll still have to look thought the whole god drat movelist to find that one specific move you're looking for.

TekkenBot overlay is the only saving grace for learning frame data in Tekken really.

All the buttons correspond to limbs, its not that hard to take a second and see if it was the left or right hand and you'll eliminate ~80% of possible inputs. Even weirder stuff has a pattern to it - jumpy moves tend to have up directions, headbutts 1+2, flippy kicks 3+4, far advancing moves are f or ff, ect.

Its a little annoying but you develop a second nature for it pretty quick, eventually you'll start seeing new moves and be able to guess what their input is just from animation.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Is it just me, or is it easy to sympathize with Heihachi in T7? Kazuya comes across as a murderous rear end in a top hat whilst Jin is incredibly unstable, whereas Heihachi is committed to stopping the Devil Gene.

Reading the (fan) Wiki, Heihachi is marked as Alignment:Evil and it just doesn't seem right to me.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Synonymous posted:

Is it just me, or is it easy to sympathize with Heihachi in T7? Kazuya comes across as a murderous rear end in a top hat whilst Jin is incredibly unstable, whereas Heihachi is committed to stopping the Devil Gene.

Reading the (fan) Wiki, Heihachi is marked as Alignment:Evil and it just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm not 100% sure but I think a lot of the story in T7 is showing why Heihachi does the terrible things he's done and kinda gives all of his previous evil actions some justification or at least reasoning. So I feel like he came off as completely evil prior to T7 but Tekken 7 acts as kind of his redemption arc.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Synonymous posted:

If you see Heihachi in the previous games he's also a complete monster. He's only "good" in the sense that his son is literal Satan, and it's his fault Kazuya is like that in the first place.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah the plot of the Tekken games is that everyone in the Mishima family is a huge rear end in a top hat. It's like Arrested Development on steroids.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Hard to sympathize with Heihachi when he's the one responsible for raising Kazuya as a cold blooded monster.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even Jin has turned into an rear end in a top hat now. Lars is probably about the best person from that messed up family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even Jin has turned into an rear end in a top hat now. Lars is probably about the best person from that messed up family.

But he’s anime