Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

whats the rcfile lines for "im worshipping yred and any time i recall some pets for a big fight the game slows down super hard and i have to mash the spacebar a lot"

show_more = false

then specifically add to force_more_messages any messages you want to slow down for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mr. Despair posted:

Time for goatsevault and a vault with a crazy guy who just recites the John Galt speech until you kill him

If goatsevault doesn't spawn with a ring then i'm boycotting

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

If goatsevault doesn't spawn with a ring then i'm boycotting

:same:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Pull request closed: no ring

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i only have that vault maker thing linked a while ago so someone please actually make this and improve it thank you

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sojenus posted:

i only have that vault maker thing linked a while ago so someone please actually make this and improve it thank you

Hellmonk just said he's stealing this for hellcrawl, good job

IN return he offers his Loss vault

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It should actually spawn a ring item as loot too

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Deep abyss idea: Make one of those "rare weird" occurrences a super OP store of some kind.

Related idea someone came up with a while ago who I don't remember: make a possible pan bazaar level.

I just like stores ok??

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I see Gooncrawl is on cbro now, but... I might just be being dense, but how do you edit your rc for that fork?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

I see Gooncrawl is on cbro now, but... I might just be being dense, but how do you edit your rc for that fork?

It seems like it's using the vanilla trunk rcfile, so you'll have to edit that one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Games played in gooncrawl online aren't recorded on your profile anywhere right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope that's not the case :v

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Games played in gooncrawl online aren't recorded on your profile anywhere right?

Correct, the scoring site and irc bots only pull from the main branch's morgue files (and only the normal mode, no sprint recordings).

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

It seems like it's using the vanilla trunk rcfile, so you'll have to edit that one.

Thought that might be the case, didnt have much time to mess with it, thanks!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tollymain posted:

whats the rcfile lines for "im worshipping yred and any time i recall some pets for a big fight the game slows down super hard and i have to mash the spacebar a lot"

Been a while so I lack the exact details, but something like message colour = mute: your. * misses does no damage etc

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh, have been having a pretty great run and even though I was actively trying to abort on the encounter including a relatively early blink and a pot of haste, I still got rimmed by an unseen horror which I just couldn't outpace as it has bat like erratic (and extremely fast) movement.

I get that you're meant to get yourself SeeInv before descending beyond the mines entry but while I am fine with Unseen Horror being hard to effectively fight against, it shouldn't be a major oval office to, on top of that, run away from when you recognize it's not an encounter you should be having.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Teal posted:

Ugh, have been having a pretty great run and even though I was actively trying to abort on the encounter including a relatively early blink and a pot of haste, I still got rimmed by an unseen horror which I just couldn't outpace as it has bat like erratic (and extremely fast) movement.

I get that you're meant to get yourself SeeInv before descending beyond the mines entry but while I am fine with Unseen Horror being hard to effectively fight against, it shouldn't be a major oval office to, on top of that, run away from when you recognize it's not an encounter you should be having.

Unseen Horrors spawn pretty early sometimes but around level 10 i'd say? Never seen one in orc honestly.

That said you can just cheese em in a hallway, use fog to see them, sticky flame or illuminate them somehow etc. Use shift-z to force cast poo poo on them.

But yes they are annoying fuckers :madmax:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

heard u like girls posted:

Unseen Horrors spawn pretty early sometimes but around level 10 i'd say? Never seen one in orc honestly.

That said you can just cheese em in a hallway, use fog to see them, sticky flame or illuminate them somehow etc. Use shift-z to force cast poo poo on them.

But yes they are annoying fuckers :madmax:

It appeared just as I was finishing a pretty large fight and just wasn't in the shape to fight it; maybe I should have tried, because I just wasn't able to outrun it whatsoever. And yeah it was in D:10, not orc mines; I haven't gone into the mines yet (the entry was surrounded HORRIFICALLY and I wasn't ready to fight that mob).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unfortunate but yeah that happens sometimes. Gotta be ready to tele out of these kind of situations.

e; Ah you blinked, haha yeah drat they are fast

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
The Crawl wiki has some great Unseen horror strats for when you can't see poo poo:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Unseen_horror

Two tips it misses:

* Allies can help you narrow down where an Unseen horror is, or block it off. (Some allies can even see invisible, like Call Canine Familiar, or are stationary and therefore reliable blockages, like Summon Lightning Spire.)
* They can't fly, so if YOU can fly, move across deep water/lava to escape.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 3, 2018

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

Hellmonk just said he's stealing this for hellcrawl, good job

IN return he offers his Loss vault

Well now I want to see what a loss.jpg vault looks like.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mountain dwarf proposal: give them an innate mr mutation and 6-7 mr gain per xl. none of the extant super smashy species have particularly good natural mr, so it gives them a niche while keeping them fairly simple and ungimmicky

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

mountain dwarf proposal: give them an innate mr mutation and 6-7 mr gain per xl. none of the extant super smashy species have particularly good natural mr, so it gives them a niche while keeping them fairly simple and ungimmicky
I like this idea. Downside should be something a little more interesting than just 'lovely spell aptitudes', though. Lots of races have those.

Fake Edit: What if they're the opposite of Deep Dwarves? No magical healing, just natural + regen?

Real Edit: Wait, poo poo, that's vinestalkers. ...I stand by it!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
downside: placid magic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Actually, yeah, that's way better.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

Actually, yeah, that's way better.
Isn't placid magic actually good for heavy melee dudes, though? The heavy armour penalty means their base cast rates are lower, and many of the spells they like to cast aren't affected by spellpower anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which is exactly why it's good. It encourages hybriding.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the part of me that heavily enjoys dwarves would enjoy a reworked and reintroduced dwarf species other than deep dwarves, mountain flavoring or no, and innate MR sounds like a great starting point

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Innate placid magic is much cooler than innate extra MR.

Granted, you could have both. But if it's one or the other I'd prefer the former.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Parade posted:

Isn't placid magic actually good for heavy melee dudes, though? The heavy armour penalty means their base cast rates are lower, and many of the spells they like to cast aren't affected by spellpower anyway.

i was under the impression it was kind of bad in general but if that's not the case that's fine, there's plenty of other mechanics out there and im mostly just throwing out ideas as they come to me anyway

speaking of which, how much would the game suffer for an uncommon (not barding-rare, but not reliably found either) armour along the lines of "scale but with a lot more encumbrance, sized for large species"

e:

IronicDongz posted:

Innate placid magic is much cooler than innate extra MR.

Granted, you could have both. But if it's one or the other I'd prefer the former.

innate placid magic as a species strength doesn't feel particularly dwarfy to me personally but i think its a great idea for a species down the line

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 4, 2018

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
imo it wouldn't be appropriately dwarfy for all dwarfs to have it, but it fits well for a weird subset of dwarfs

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
How about instead of +MR, they have a 'stubbornness' trait - whenever a monster rolls against your MR and beats it, you get a temporary +MR buff based on how easily they beat you (long if easy, short if hard).

It's worse than strictly having more +MR, but still useful and distinctive. You can also try to trigger it on purpose before a dangerous situation starts up.

For coders, places you'd need to hook this:

affect_player_enchantment in beam.cc, plus in mon-cast.cc _mons_mesmerise, _mons_cause_fear, _mons_mass_confuse, _mons_command_undead, mons_cast SPELL_CONFUSION_GAZE, _siren_sing

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

From what I understand minor situational innates like MR and SInv are flavor friendly ways of dealing with weaknesses that would otherwise be inconvenient. For instance, Spriggan and Felid have some of the highest innate MR because paralysis can mean instant death and they have very few slots (which are typically desperately needed for other resistances). MR is too situational to be the defining feature of a race.

Tollymain posted:

innate placid magic as a species strength doesn't feel particularly dwarfy to me personally but i think its a great idea for a species down the line

It doesn't make sense for modern dwarves, who have a lot of morlock and mad scientist DNA mixed in, but it does make sense for T*lkien's. My problem would be that for races aptitudes tend to be a cleaner way of influencing spell choice.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the mr isn't so much a build around as it is something to differentiate the mountain dwarf from his compatriots in being sorta bad at magic and good at smashing things, the minotaur and hill orc

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Give them instead of placid magic, flaccid magic. All the weakening without any of the easier-to-cast
also give deep elves Erect Magic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so are we giving felids boots now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Race request: Gnomes. Wild Magic 3, evolves, racial attribute where contamination mutation is weighted like eating the purples.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

Dwarves are naturally alcoholics. By analogy to the Deep Dwarf self-healing thing, give the mountain dwarves an activatable abiliity to pull from their bottomless supply of stashed-away booze and cause a self-ambrosia effect. I don't know what kind of cost it would need to be balanced though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I think placid magic together with minotaur-ish aptitudes (maybe slightly more magic leaning because -2 is a struggle even with placid magic) is a great species idea that doesn't really want to be muddied with a bunch of extra stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Dwarves are naturally alcoholics. By analogy to the Deep Dwarf self-healing thing, give the mountain dwarves an activatable abiliity to pull from their bottomless supply of stashed-away booze and cause a self-ambrosia effect. I don't know what kind of cost it would need to be balanced though.

TBH I think Deep Dwarf self-healing should be changed to be an Ambrosia-like effect to begin with. They're already the best species by far and could use a downside.

• Locked thread