Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
poo poo there's a whole untapped market out there for the first dev to make Rainbow 6 Siege But With Bigotry if we're chasing that demographic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Augus posted:

How is Earth Wars? The low price is tempting but man those visuals don't appeal to me at all

Repetitive from the start and not very good, but it’s a whole lot of content for a fiver. I got a few hours out of it and knew what I was getting into, but I had some spare credit on the Japanese eshop and not a lot of ways to get rid of it. Hard to recommend outside of that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

Boy does this game ever look like hot garbage

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metropolis-lux-obscura-switch

Shot:

Chaser:

This has to be a joke. I mean, it could be a real game, but some kind of performance art thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

This has to be a joke. I mean, it could be a real game, but some kind of performance art thing.

Never Forget Meme Run

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not Operator posted:

Haha how is sexism one of your game's selling points? gently caress off.

I was so entranced by someone putting out a new match-3 game in 2018 that I missed that.

I guess they wanted to make something to sell to CHUDs and then near the end of the development cycle remembered it had to actually be a game?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Not Operator posted:

Haha how is sexism one of your game's selling points? gently caress off.

Who's president of the United States again? I forget.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Weedle posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that game didn't actually get permission to use that trademarked NY logo on those hats.

Not Operator posted:

poo poo there's a whole untapped market out there for the first dev to make Rainbow 6 Siege But With Bigotry if we're chasing that demographic now.

There's a medieval version of this already. It's called Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a medieval version of this already. It's called Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Please don't start this loving argument here

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So I know switch has been around a year but what do y'all think a 2nd version would look like? Bigger battery, 1080p support?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

E2M2 posted:

So I know switch has been around a year but what do y'all think a 2nd version would look like? Bigger battery, 1080p support?

Reports came out this week that nintendos plan for the next year is to increase profits in the following 3 ways

1. Find efficiencies in current model switch production
2. Introduce more accessories starting with labo
3. Introduce subscription service

Your question will not be answered for at minimum 12-18 months

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
With payday rolling around last week i'm now part of the Switch club.

Picked up Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors cos i noticed they had a bit of a price discount on them. Zelda rocked up at almost twice the price as Fire Emblem though. Is it really that good?

I didn't think there was a need for a second controller but i've always opted into getting the pro controllers for Nintendo. What are the perks of it over the merged joycon controller mode?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh forgot to mention something about the accessories: we're supposed to expect something that connects to the usbc port under the switch. :iiam:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kin posted:

I didn't think there was a need for a second controller but i've always opted into getting the pro controllers for Nintendo. What are the perks of it over the merged joycon controller mode?

It has a "better" d-pad.
I think that for most games split joycon is a better option (even if it takes a couple of days playing Mario and Zelda to get used to them). Celeste is the one game that made me wish for a decent d-pad.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Kin posted:

I can’t think of a single reason to use merged joycons over the pro. Much like my old third party garbage controllers, I only use it to give to a friend when he comes over for Mario Kart.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I sold my launch pro. Never used it in a whole year after the first few weeks. The Sticks are nice but i really hate those giant face buttons and the dpad was probably as hosed up as possible in the manufacturing margin of error. drat it was so useless. Even hosed up inputs in games where its just a selector like zelda.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Good thing that game isn't on Switch so we don't have to talk about it here!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Pro controller is great and the charge lasts an eternity.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
The right con's stick position is painful with extended use for something like Gungeon, but the shorter height and throw on the left con feels great with stuff like Celeste. I basically never use the grip though because having my arms free at my sides just feels better.

I also did the tape fix on my pro a while back, which worked fine, but something went wrong during reassembly and now I can't press Y too hard without activating Home.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Outside of the d-pad the Switch Pro controller is easily top 3 controllers ever for me

Also I played Subsurface Circular and I really liked it, definitely worth the small price. It’s just a series of conversations between you and other robots on a train though so not for everyone, but I love that narrative game poo poo

Anyone played Detention on any platform? How is it?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Escobarbarian posted:

Outside of the d-pad the Switch Pro controller is easily top 3 controllers ever for me

Also I played Subsurface Circular and I really liked it, definitely worth the small price. It’s just a series of conversations between you and other robots on a train though so not for everyone, but I love that narrative game poo poo

Anyone played Detention on any platform? How is it?

I wish it had analog style triggers like on the 360 controller or analog with a click like GameCube. But yeah the face buttons and sticks are great. Feels good in hands too. I went back to the Wii U pro controller after not using it for a while and it felt way off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like still the Wii U Pro more. I like both sticks being on top.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The face buttons are too big too mushy. Perfect if they were a butt. Bad for button.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Weedle posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

quote:

Gorgeous, sexy girls
12 mental disorders and bad habits to unlock

What

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've read this thread for many pages now, and I've never understood the issues with the controller. Are you guys just being particularly sensitive towards it or is there a real issue? I don't use the d-pad much but it's never not worked. Maybe it was weird the few times I used it in Bomberman, but so was the stick on the pro controller and on the joycons so I just figured it was due to the weird camera angle and me being incapable of figuring out my directionals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I spent way more time than I'd like to admit trying to place this balloon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've read this thread for many pages now, and I've never understood the issues with the controller. Are you guys just being particularly sensitive towards it or is there a real issue? I don't use the d-pad much but it's never not worked. Maybe it was weird the few times I used it in Bomberman, but so was the stick on the pro controller and on the joycons so I just figured it was due to the weird camera angle and me being incapable of figuring out my directionals.

The dpad registers diagonals when you only push cardinals. Some do it only sometimes, newer ones less often. mine was launch and so bad it was impossible to register a cardinal direction.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

The dpad registers diagonals when you only push cardinals. Some do it sometimes, mine was so bad it was impossible to register a cardinal direction.

Huh. What's a good game to test that on?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Real hurthling! posted:

The face buttons are too big too mushy. Perfect if they were a butt. Bad for button.

Blame Nintendo for not adding butts to controllers.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is the big example since accidental Up presses in Tetris can really gently caress you over. There's even a demo available.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Most complaints come from Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Edit: Too slow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is this face button nonsense tho

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Weedle posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

Yeah I might actually buy this. I am the problem.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Autonomous Monster posted:

Anyone got an opinion on this Mulaka thing? Or, uh, "Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo"? "A Hole New World"?

Are there any recent small-name releases people would recommend?

A Hole New World is some tedious garbage. It'd have been a mediocre NES game had it been released in the era, and the main gimmick is a sort of gravity "fall down and pop up upside down" that makes traversing levels irritating. I got to the stage 3 boss who can basically spam endless projectiles and found myself thoroughly underwhelmed.

It's crap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

um
you know you can get match 3 puzzle games for free, right?

also they tried to put black bars to censor the woman's tits but did a really lovely job with it, lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A Hole New World is some tedious garbage. It'd have been a mediocre NES game had it been released in the era, and the main gimmick is a sort of gravity "fall down and pop up upside down" that makes traversing levels irritating. I got to the stage 3 boss who can basically spam endless projectiles and found myself thoroughly underwhelmed.

It's crap.

Find a way to play the old NES game Metal Storm, it did it better almost a quarter century ago.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just put whichever Sin City movie is on Netflix on in the background while you play Bejeweled on your phone. Same experience for less money.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Augus posted:

um
you know you can get match 3 puzzle games for free, right?

also they tried to put black bars to censor the woman's tits but did a really lovely job with it, lol

But you can’t get puzzle quest on switch.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I also played seven chapters of Bayonetta 1 instead of working yesterday. On normal. I’m thinking I’m the gamer who automatic easy mode was invented for (I don’t have the skills my game playing youth had).

I am also a heretic and skipped most of the cutscenes. Game is still good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

but...you have a phone don't you?
Like, I know everything is better on switch but...it's a match 3 puzzle game that costs 8 whole bucks

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ultimate Mango posted:

I also played seven chapters of Bayonetta 1 instead of working yesterday. On normal. I’m thinking I’m the gamer who automatic easy mode was invented for (I don’t have the skills my game playing youth had).

It took me beating Bayonetta 1 three times on three seperate consoles to finally get "pretty good" at the core combat. Learn about dodge offset and you'll be fine.

quote:

I am also a heretic and skipped most of the cutscenes. Game is still good.

May Jubileus, the Creator, bless you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I'd not thought about this until now and I'm suddenly mourning the death of Popcap.

Also Metroid Prime 4 is the cover of the new Game Informer (issue 300) so expect a bit of new info about that soon.

• Locked thread