Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not my credit for this one, my wifes. idk what it is exactly but its good enough for a 4% rate at a local credit union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Usually the dealer gets a few basis points if they charge you a higher interest rate from a non-captive finance loan. Dealers in the past have had complete discretion as to what interest rate to charge you on non-captive loans. This was a big part of CFPB's shitshow with dealer finance - there are a lot of kickbacks, no regulation, and the dealer is very well positioned to take advantage of information asymmetry.

When the loan is from captive finance (as yours is) the dealer gets an origination fee and usually some other kickback or incentive from captive finance. Dealers tend to have captive finance use targets that they need to meet to be eligible for certain programs and bonuses. However, the dealer cannot modify the terms or interest rate of the loan.

when i bought my van last year i went to the dealership with a loan offer from my insurance company and made the dealership beat that offer. they were happy to do so because of this - the kickback from toyota financial for originating the loan.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I think I want a car. I'm not sure it's a super good idea as I've had one before but I was super irresponsible about it. I had no money to repair it and it basically sat in my driveway for years until I scrapped it.

Now I make good-ish money and I'd like a way to reliably get out of the big city (Montreal) on the week ends with my bike / snowboard and avoid ridesharing hell come holidays as all my family lives away.

I'm just not sure if buying a 5k$ CRV is that good an idea if I'm going to use it infrequently (like once or twice a week max, for distances > 50km). Has anyone here ever done the "rent a car as needed" thing instead of buying one? I'm really not sure if money could be saved that way.

The idea of buying has been in my head for weeks now and I just can't shake it off. My apartment has 2 parkings which is a hell of a commodity here, and theyre calling for me to fill them...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Colonel J posted:

I think I want a car. I'm not sure it's a super good idea as I've had one before but I was super irresponsible about it. I had no money to repair it and it basically sat in my driveway for years until I scrapped it.

Now I make good-ish money and I'd like a way to reliably get out of the big city (Montreal) on the week ends with my bike / snowboard and avoid ridesharing hell come holidays as all my family lives away.

I'm just not sure if buying a 5k$ CRV is that good an idea if I'm going to use it infrequently (like once or twice a week max, for distances > 50km). Has anyone here ever done the "rent a car as needed" thing instead of buying one? I'm really not sure if money could be saved that way.

The idea of buying has been in my head for weeks now and I just can't shake it off. My apartment has 2 parkings which is a hell of a commodity here, and theyre calling for me to fill them...

Having your own car gets you freedom - you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. The downside is cost.

If you can afford it, it will make your life more enjoyable. Renting on demand may be cheaper, but it's got its own hassles and problems that offset that.

You have permission to go for it if you want to. You know your financial situation better than I do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Colonel J posted:

Rent one/both of those spaces out for some extra cash?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wouldn't own a car in Montreal unless I needed it to commute.

edit: or i lived in like Laval or some poo poo

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't own a car in Montreal unless I needed it to commute.

edit: or i lived in like Laval or some poo poo

Why not?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Because you can use public transit and in the rare instances you want a car you could rent a car or use car2go

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Colonel J posted:

gently caress 'em. Are they going to give you a discount for your rent if you give away a space or two?
If not, tell them to stuff themselves, as you pay for the spaces in your rent.

Comedy buy a kid's electric Monster Truck/Barbie Porsche/Tesla and park them in the spots.

Also, 5k for a CRV sounds like you'd be buying a high-mileage vehicle that might need some work done...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d just rent the spaces assuming it’s not expressly outlawed in your lease.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

gently caress 'em. Are they going to give you a discount for your rent if you give away a space or two?
If not, tell them to stuff themselves, as you pay for the spaces in your rent.

Comedy buy a kid's electric Monster Truck/Barbie Porsche/Tesla and park them in the spots.

Also, 5k for a CRV sounds like you'd be buying a high-mileage vehicle that might need some work done...

Oh yeah, I mean the parking spaces are calling. Metaphorically.

I realize a smaller car might be better, I just fear I wont have space for 2 road bikes. But those can be taken apart anyway. I'll talk about it with my Extremely Car Guy brother in law.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You can put a bike rack on anything.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I run a roof rack on a mazda 2 that will carry at least 2 bikes.
Noted ai and vike thread poster and stroller enthusiast eyebeem moves a bike with a fiat 500 convertable.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, I'm in the market for a new(/used) car. I've driven this one (96 Honda Civic EX) for 14 years, but I've been informed the transmission is on its way out. I asked how soon, the mechanic said :shrug: in so many words. There are a lot of general problems with it, it's endured many salty winters, and I'm rather convinced that if I went head to head with a deer, the deer would walk away, and I'd be obliterated. Cost of any further repairs far exceed the worth of the vehicle, but that goes without saying.

My options, at the moment, are the following, and I'd like some opinions outside of what I've been researching. I, like everyone, have an affinity for how much of a beating Hondas can take, but if there are viable options within the $3000-$5000 range (which I can basically pay for on the spot, which is the point), I'd be interested in hearing about it. Someone I know pointed out a 2005 Dodge Neon, and a 2003 Toyota Matrix as options in the area.

Anyway, the ones I've noticed:

* 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe - It's an automatic, $4,600, from a dealership. 178k miles. Given the listing below, I'm a bit :S about the price, but maybe it's the difference between a private seller and a dealer, here. I'm flying blind on this. What questions do I ask?

* 2007 Honda Civic EX - private seller, $5,000, automatic, 165k miles. Looks in good condition. New front axle shaft in January of this year, "full inspection" in 2018. Not jazzed about going straight for my ceiling price, again, but. See above. What questions/etc, and what should I expect to hear in response to get a sense for whether or not the dude's on the up and up?

* 2006 Honda Civic EX - private seller, $3,000, 195k miles, manual. I'm not super familiar with driving manual. It was more based on price that I ended up with an automatic when I did (my own car was $4,000 when I bought it), so I'm reeeaaaal rusty on manual, but I'm willing to learn. I've got a buddy willing to help me get used to it. Seems like it shouldn't be that big a deal, but this is where other people can step in and say 'no you'll probably hate this,' or 'no getting used to it is trivial.' The pricetag on manuals is so much better as-is that I'm leaning in that direction anyway. Anyway, same as before: what questions?

Notably, the guy looking to offload the last one has posted his ad almost daily to get rid of the car. He seems ridiculously desperate to get rid of it. Additionally, the mileage on all of these makes me a little iffy. That's what my own car is at, I think; got it at 120k miles and put 70k+ on, but I'll be the first to admit I didn't exactly take care of it. In any event, I can't stress enough that I'm not exactly savvy in this area of the market. I've been out of it for over a decade.

Anyway. I'm not 100% determined to stick with Hondas, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm mostly looking for a) a sedan (which a Matrix is not), b) within aforementioned price-range, c) something with a decent history of longevity, d) GOOD GAS MILEAGE, I'm looking for the 30r/35hw range at the very least. Also e) comedy options that still manage to support all of the above w/o being mobile deathtraps are acceptable suggestions. I just want a reliable car, and public transit in my city is a joke.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
That gas mileage requirement is going to severely limit your choice of vehicles, especially combined with your ceiling price. A Toyota Matrix probably isn’t going to hit those numbers under normal driving, they’re considerably heavier than an older Civic and have a correspondingly larger engine.

A Fit will do it, but finding one for 5K means you need to find one with quite a few miles on it, plus they’re not a sedan. Buying a Civic with a poo poo-ton of miles on it seems like you’re spending money for the same thing you already have. There’s a definite ‘Honda Tax’ on used civics, they tend to be overpriced for what you get compared to other, similar cars.

Looks like I have to go with the thread favorite, a second-gen Prius. You can find one with a bunch of miles for your price, they get great mileage, and their high-mileage reliability is excellent. Even one with a somewhat worn-out battery pack will drive fine, and battery packs are far cheaper than they used to be

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

JnnyThndrs posted:

That gas mileage requirement is going to severely limit your choice of vehicles, especially combined with your ceiling price. A Toyota Matrix probably isn’t going to hit those numbers under normal driving, they’re considerably heavier than an older Civic and have a correspondingly larger engine.

A Fit will do it, but finding one for 5K means you need to find one with quite a few miles on it, plus they’re not a sedan. Buying a Civic with a poo poo-ton of miles on it seems like you’re spending money for the same thing you already have. There’s a definite ‘Honda Tax’ on used civics, they tend to be overpriced for what you get compared to other, similar cars.

Looks like I have to go with the thread favorite, a second-gen Prius. You can find one with a bunch of miles for your price, they get great mileage, and their high-mileage reliability is excellent. Even one with a somewhat worn-out battery pack will drive fine, and battery packs are far cheaper than they used to be

Hmm. What would be more reasonable for gas mileage that's at least semi-comparable? I got spoiled by my old car and its original price tag. If it's more unrealistic than I thought it'd be (which is entirely possible!), I can be flexible on it, but I'd still prefer something that's more economical (obvs). If cost of gas vs. inevitable slew of repairs still equals out to less than the inevitable repairs, I can live with that.

I ask because I checked out some Prius searched, and I'm coming up with very little in Wisconsin (Madison, WI, fwiw) that isn't far afield, though I did find a couple Prius hits on Carfax that are within my price range. Some 80+ miles away, but if the cars listed are worth it (one has an accident report, I noticed), I'm willing to make a day trip out of it. Also, what range of 'a bunch of miles' should I be looking for on one?

Thanks for the response!

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 3, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are you budgeting anything for repairs? Any car in the $3k - $5k range will likely be higher mileage and need repairs within a year or so.

It's more important to find a car that's been well maintained rather than the car or brand in your budget.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't buy an ancient car from a dealership.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Old Boot posted:

Hmm. What would be more reasonable for gas mileage that's at least semi-comparable? I got spoiled by my old car and its original price tag. If it's more unrealistic than I thought it'd be (which is entirely possible!), I can be flexible on it, but I'd still prefer something that's more economical (obvs). If cost of gas vs. inevitable slew of repairs still equals out to less than the inevitable repairs, I can live with that.

I ask because I checked out some Prius searched, and I'm coming up with very little in Wisconsin (Madison, WI, fwiw) that isn't far afield, though I did find a couple Prius hits on Carfax that are within my price range. Some 80+ miles away, but if the cars listed are worth it (one has an accident report, I noticed), I'm willing to make a day trip out of it. Also, what range of 'a bunch of miles' should I be looking for on one?

Thanks for the response!

First off, if you were to lower your fuel-mileage requirements to something like ‘28city, 32hwy’-ish, that opens your search to quite a few more cars. Fuel-mileage improvements sort of stalled between the mid-Nineties and 2010-ish(except for hybrids and car diesels) because of safety requirements(=more weight) and the public demand for larger vehicles.

Prius’s don’t have transmissions in the normal sense, so that’s one big-ticket item not to worry about, their gasoline engine tends to run at a more constant RPM than a non-hybrid, and they don’t even have accessory belts to fail. Brake components even last longer due to regenerative braking by the hybrid system. I’ve seen a ton of them running fine with no major repairs at mileages over 200k, and taxi fleets beat the hell out of them with good results.

On the negative side, they give little driving feedback to the driver and I can’t stand the goofy-rear end dash/shift-lever arrangement. Driving one is best described as ‘anesthetized sloth’, so you might want to test-drive one at a local car lot before heading out to a distant city to purchase one. Early Civic hybrids are very slow and only improve mileage a little over the normal Civic, but they’re decent cars otherwise, so if you were to find a low mileage cream puff, I wouldn’t rule it out.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where would I look for car-buying guidance and information that's specific to the climate of the frozen north? I'm not asking for links to my local best deals in Mytown, USA; I'm looking for best advice and practices when one considers that every winter involves multiple feet of snow, subzero temperatures and ice on the roads for months at a time, etc.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Addamere posted:

Where would I look for car-buying guidance and information that's specific to the climate of the frozen north? I'm not asking for links to my local best deals in Mytown, USA; I'm looking for best advice and practices when one considers that every winter involves multiple feet of snow, subzero temperatures and ice on the roads for months at a time, etc.

You are in the thread, :justpost:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Addamere posted:

Seems like it would be the same advice you'd get anywhere. Get snow tires and mount them on spare rims. Swap them on when the weather changes.

If you have to deal with deep snow, invest in tire chains. AWD helps, but is not necessary.

Winter driving is the same everywhere. It's just a matter of how much of it you have to deal with.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Some other general snow thoughts:

If you are in an area that is unplowed, consider a proper truck or truck-based SUV. The extra ground clearance really helps you not get bogged down if there is genuinely more than a few inches, plus you have the advantage of taller tires, and a proper 4x4 system, instead of AWD.

Definitely consider a block heater. Both for the longevity of the vehicle and your own comfort and safety.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Addamere posted:

Are you doing a 100km daily commute in southern Ontario? Running errands in a small town in the Yukon? The mountains? The Prairies?

All of these are pretty different, but the basics are the same; proper winter specific tires, seasonal fluid/battery check, block heater (always a good idea, but probably optional in southern Ontario or interior BC)

Post some details! How far north, what kind of useage?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Colonel J posted:

I live in London at the moment which I suppose is a similar situation as there is good public transport, and no need for a car unless visiting people elsewhere in the country. Renting a car when you need one makes a lot of sense if it's just for a few days every couple of months or so, and the rental companies here will deliver the car to you and pick it up at the end so there is almost no hassle. If you can work out some way you qualify for a discount (military for me) it really keeps the cost down. I think it would need to be more than 1 trip per month for it to be worthwhile for me to get a car here.

Pay per hour car clubs used to be handy but I just get Ubers for little trips now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Colonel J posted:

Just do rentals and uber/lyft for a month, mentally tell yourself that you are going to make every trip that you would have made if you had a car, and then add up the cost at the end of the month and compare it to the cost of a car/gas/insurance. Then at the end of the month either you know you are gooing to buy a car or you just saved yourself the hassel and expense of buying a car you wouldn't have used enough.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

So I'm looking at maybe buying a car in the very near future to replace my old '91 Ford Ranger. I've never bought a car before - my current vehicle was a hand-me-down from my dad (who bought the Ranger new, originally) when he got a new truck when I turned 16. I love my Ranger, but it's two years older than I am and I really need something with some airbags.

The specific vehicle I'm looking at is a 2018 Versa Note, currently listed at a local dealership on sale for about $15k. I'd be using it for the daily commute to work (which would be about half an hour to 45 minutes, depending on traffic), as well as just general around town errands and stuff.

What do I need to know before I try to buy this car, aside from the obvious? I have nooooo idea what I'm doing.

Possibly Relevant: the Ranger is in very good condition, minus some paint stuff, and CarMax offered to buy it for $1600

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Before I bought a new Versa Note for 15K, I’d try very very hard to either find a slightly used Fit for that price or raise my budget a tad. Drive both vehicles and you’ll see why.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JnnyThndrs posted:

Before I bought a new Versa Note for 15K, I’d try very very hard to either find a slightly used Fit for that price or raise my budget a tad. Drive both vehicles and you’ll see why.

Or a mazda 2 or a fiesta.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chic Trombone posted:

So I'm looking at maybe buying a car in the very near future to replace my old '91 Ford Ranger. I've never bought a car before - my current vehicle was a hand-me-down from my dad (who bought the Ranger new, originally) when he got a new truck when I turned 16. I love my Ranger, but it's two years older than I am and I really need something with some airbags.

The specific vehicle I'm looking at is a 2018 Versa Note, currently listed at a local dealership on sale for about $15k. I'd be using it for the daily commute to work (which would be about half an hour to 45 minutes, depending on traffic), as well as just general around town errands and stuff.

What do I need to know before I try to buy this car, aside from the obvious? I have nooooo idea what I'm doing.

Possibly Relevant: the Ranger is in very good condition, minus some paint stuff, and CarMax offered to buy it for $1600

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/versa-note

I would not recommend a Versa Note. There's a whole bunch of good late-model used cars to be had for $15k that beat it by a mile.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Oh, geez. Most of the reviews I'd seen were fairly positive. $15k is pretty much the top end of my budget - what would you recommend? Either a hatchback or small SUV is what I'd prefer, but I'm open to looking at other things too.

I'm mostly looking for safety, reliability, and gas mileage tbh

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chic Trombone posted:

Oh, geez. Most of the reviews I'd seen were fairly positive. $15k is pretty much the top end of my budget - what would you recommend? Either a hatchback or small SUV is what I'd prefer, but I'm open to looking at other things too.

I'm mostly looking for safety, reliability, and gas mileage tbh

A few good ones have been mentioned - Honda Fit, Mazda 2 or 3, Ford Fusion. You could also look at a Kai Soul, a Honda Civic, a Kia Rio, Toyota Corolla, or Chevy Spark. If you want high gas mileage, you should be able to get a good Prius or Volt for that price.

I tend to like Car and Driver's reviews. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but their biases are pretty clear and I can see how well I would like a car based on what they have to say about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the versa note, as has been stated before, blows

You can also take a look at the Hyundai Accent and Elantra, they are fairly decent.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Definitely take a look at the Fit. Those are amazing little cars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Couldn't you get a lot more car if you got one 2-3 years old.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Could I? This is a serious question, I have literally no idea what I'm doing beyond needing a newer safer vehicle

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chic Trombone posted:

Could I? This is a serious question, I have literally no idea what I'm doing beyond needing a newer safer vehicle

Any car built in the last 20 years will be safer than a '91 Ranger.

If you desperately need a new car for $15k, your options are quite limited. If you're willing to go a couple years used, you've got tons of options.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm willing to go used, yeah.

I was looking at new hatchbacks largely because I haven't found many used hatchback options in my area and the gas mileage really appeals to me.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

2 year old used = 65% of MSRP (as a rough estimate). 15k can get you a (used) low mileage reliable car no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003
Due to an accident earlier this week I've had to say good bye to my 2011 Mazda 3 and hello to car shopping. Which has always intimidated me a bit. And now I'm feeling overwhelmed with all my choices and the need to a return to normalcy.

Proposed Budget: 20k or less
New or Used: New
Body Style: sedan
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes mostly to work, and trips to various state parks for photography and to visit family.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No
What aspects are most important to you? Overall cost, reliability and comfort. I have a bad back so ideally something that will give me a smooth ride.

I'm currently looking at a Honda Civic which looks like a lot of people on here like and a Hyundai Elantra. I haven't seen many comments about them on here so was looking for thoughts on them and the various configurations they offer. I'm also open to other suggestions on cars I should be looking at.