Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Keep in mind that established companies in the tech industry have much larger profit margins than other sectors of the economy. You would need a farcical definition of exploitation to look at for example apple's profit margins and come to the conclusion that no worker being paid six figures is being taken advantage of there.

Tech workers stress the importance of the dog and pony show you have to put on when negotiating compensation with an employer, but they also bizarrely stress the importance of not organizing for more leverage and ceding the power of organization to the other side of the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm new at this "customer isn't somebody in the same building" business:

Customer: "We reviewed the changes and they look great! Here are some edits."
Word doc: "Add these new elements, change some copy, make these questions required, move these around."
Me, to my boss: "I think I went over budget during the first go-around, but we should consider the time spent as only three hours, matching the high end of the original estimate for the first phase, because a lot of the time I spent was just me stumbling around and learning where to change stuff."
Boss: "Okay, is anything in their Word doc beyond the scope of the original request?"
Me: "The copy changes are fine, but the new elements they requested will take another hour or two. Also, some of these requests should probably have been in the original spec. (Hint, hint, you gotta ask what questions are required when making a form for a customer.)"
Boss, to customer: "These changes put us past the original estimate of eight hours [for the whole project, not just the first phase], but we'll be nice and let it slide. Next time, you'd better make all your requests on the first contract, though!"

That's not what I saaaaaid! And not quite whom I blaaaamed! :sigh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

comedyblissoption posted:

Tech workers stress the importance of the dog and pony show you have to put on when negotiating compensation with an employer, but they also bizarrely stress the importance of not organizing for more leverage and ceding the power of organization to the other side of the table.
Yeah, when the aforementioned cabal of billionaires was exposed to my libertarian FB friend, his answer was essentially "negotiate better and it doesn't matter!!" as if MS paying SDET's $100k out of the gate in 2002 wouldn't have impacted his negotiations.

baquerd posted:

Do you want me to name companies so you can apply to them, to tear them down, or what? I don't see how naming specific companies will benefit the discussion compared to keeping things abstract.
I dunno, if you just wanna carelessly toss out wrong poo poo and refuse to back it up with so much as a "smaller companies are better" and hang around the thread with your whole rear end out that's on you. Naming a company would be a quick way to filter through some of those qualifications and understand where you think the exploitation is smaller or at least tolerable. Giving out any qualification besides "300k," the only actual fact you've attached to this raft of poo poo, would also be good!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JawnV6 posted:

I dunno, if you just wanna carelessly toss out wrong poo poo and refuse to back it up with so much as a "smaller companies are better" and hang around the thread with your whole rear end out that's on you. Naming a company would be a quick way to filter through some of those qualifications and understand where you think the exploitation is smaller or at least tolerable. Giving out any qualification besides "300k," the only actual fact you've attached to this raft of poo poo, would also be good!

Do you have a counter-argument or are you just yelling at clouds here? You seem to assume that I fully understand your viewpoint and argument, but I assure you I do not. Can you please explain it to me?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

It's possible to be both highly compensated and paid less than your labor is worth, and when this happens it is often due to price-fixing, either on the part of your employer or of a competitor taking advantage of the unfairly depressed competition.
Excellent point, even big name actresses in Hollywood were getting paid substantially less than their male costars despite the metrics used to bring in audiences. I believe Jennifer Lawrence and Gal Gadot are good examples of Hollywood underpaying even stars compared to male counterparts (see: Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pines) due to paramarket factors. Similarly, paramarket factors are precisely how many, many smaller business owners are overpaid due to nepotism, collusion, and other factors outside idealist Adam Smith style capitalist expectations of market-based competition. Some can also argue that much of America's CEOs are vastly overpaid for their performance relative to other countries due to alpha factors rather than beta on a more classic stock pricing based model.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My morning so far: trying to figure out what this 150-line function does, along with the 62-line SQL query it builds. It's really tough to resist the urge to refactor stuff to make writing tests easier before a single line in the original function is covered!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you liked, you should've put a test on it. :colbert:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My boss just hosed up and merged an upcoming docker branch into our master branch and doesn't realize it yet.

I'm gently nudging him going "nuh uh, its hosed up" and pointing at the commit log on master

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

git push -f origin master

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

KoRMaK posted:

My boss just hosed up and merged an upcoming docker branch into our master branch and doesn't realize it yet.

I'm gently nudging him going "nuh uh, its hosed up" and pointing at the commit log on master

FWIW, we have things setup where you can't merge into master w/o a signed off PR.

Has saved many disasters.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am probably gonna have to institute something similar.

Linux dev breaking build on Windows I can live with, thats what CI is for. Linux dev breaking build on Linux in super obvious way and still pushing that commit, I cannot. :v:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I don't understand how it's even legal to push to master without a reviewed pull request and successful build.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Keetron posted:

Not setting master as a protected branch. :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

I don't understand how it's even legal to push to master without a reviewed pull request and successful build.

At a minimum it should be:

Develop -> staging -> master.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Keetron posted:

Yea, I want to do that.

It's hard for me to take the keys away from this guy.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ah, the delicate, escalating dance of "Does anybody know what happened to X?" to "Hey, team Y, do you know what happened to X?" to "Hey person Z, do you know what happened to X?" to a company-wide email that says, "Person Z broke the poo poo out of X at 10:23 A.M. this morning by not paying attention!" I think my attempts to be Socratic have had about a 5% success rate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pixelboy posted:

FWIW, we have things setup where you can't merge into master w/o a signed off PR.

Has saved many disasters.

We have it set up so that you need a human reviewer and a successful Jenkins build (as well as some other company-specific checks).

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

We have it set up so that you need a human reviewer and a successful Jenkins build (as well as some other company-specific checks).

Pretty much this, all that kicks off in parallel w/ a pending PR -- but the merge won't happen until all the steps are complete.

We use VSTS for our CI though.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I have admin on everything, so protected branches don’t stop me!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

How stupid of an idea is it to quit my current job before I have a new one lined up? I'm extremely miserable all the time and my work environment is really unhealthy. Also lining up meetings, interviews, practice for interviews, etc, is really hard when you're also working full-time. Apparently it's common at many places to have interviews that are 2 hours or more.

I was advised by some people with good intentions to wait, but I don't know if I can.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Taffer posted:

How stupid of an idea is it to quit my current job before I have a new one lined up? I'm extremely miserable all the time and my work environment is really unhealthy. Also lining up meetings, interviews, practice for interviews, etc, is really hard when you're also working full-time. Apparently it's common at many places to have interviews that are 2 hours or more.

I was advised by some people with good intentions to wait, but I don't know if I can.

I'd also recommend waiting, unless it's genuinely that bad there. It's easier to get a job when you have a job. But yes, interviews are all oriented towards people who have hours to kill in a day, and it's hosed up.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ 㤠◕_◕ ༽ã¤

Taffer posted:

Will you be more or less miserable if you find yourself with no job and no income for longer than it takes for your next few cycles of bills to arrive?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Taffer posted:

It's a bad idea. Being between jobs will eat your savings quickly, you're in a worse negotiating position, and who knows when can you actually start working even if you get a job offer right away. In short, tried it once, wouldn't recommend.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Taffer posted:

How much of a safety fund / runway do you have before you're destitute?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Taffer posted:

Apparently it is easier to find a job if you already have one. Saw that on some online article.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I took six months off to just chill after being in my first job for four years. I had two years worth of savings so wasn't financially stressed and when I went to get a job it was easy. Interviewers asked why I decided to leave my last employer, I threw some garble about wanting to work on some personal projects (the only personal project of any import was playing The Witcher 3) and they didn't seem to care. The whole job search took a month, and half of that was waiting the two weeks it takes to get a "no" from Google.

So basically if you have enough capital, are in a decent job market, and think you're a strong candidate otherwise, then it's fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eggnogium posted:

I took six months off to just chill after being in my first job for four years. I had two years worth of savings so wasn't financially stressed and when I went to get a job it was easy. Interviewers asked why I decided to leave my last employer, I threw some garble about wanting to work on some personal projects (the only personal project of any import was playing The Witcher 3) and they didn't seem to care. The whole job search took a month, and half of that was waiting the two weeks it takes to get a "no" from Google.

So basically if you have enough capital, are in a decent job market, and think you're a strong candidate otherwise, then it's fine.

This assumes you have the skills to be in demand, of course.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

This.

Pollyanna posted:

This assumes you have the skills to be in demand, of course.

If you don't, you'd be in the same position while still having a job right?
Maybe unpaid leave? With the option to return?

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 28, 2018

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Welp, guess the outgoing developer forgot to tell me about an important step in the deployment of this application: actually importing the list of allowed users. Now it's time to wait to see if he checks his email at some point, because I don't have his phone number!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The time without a job is a bit of a red flag for employers in fairly conservative regions / sectors that may not be used to having employees with plenty of job options and enough. It matters a bit more as you're higher up in seniority though where employers would like to see their higher management stay put in positions for at least a few years to see some initiatives. It's not like CTOs should be job hopping like engineers every other year to keep getting better pay, right?

pigdog posted:

It's a bad idea. Being between jobs will eat your savings quickly, you're in a worse negotiating position, and who knows when can you actually start working even if you get a job offer right away. In short, tried it once, wouldn't recommend.
I turned down 4 job offers when I was unemployed before and my career has gotten better for it. The misery of a bad job is far, far worse to me than being poor. I spent most of my life poor, bad tech jobs are pure hell comparably IMO with literally the only thing better being "money." This is easier if you grew up poor in some respect but swallowing your pride and just trucking on should be fine or at least help you to learn why you should be more selective of companies at least. Taking jobs out of even slight desperation has been a huge net negative for my career because most places outside tech hubs are seriously horrible trash companies on average and has made me a lot more bitter, cynical person than I should be. Getting laid off unexpectedly and having to fish for jobs outside a tech hub or for remote jobs can be a real crapshoot as well (most places looking for full-time remote are looking for tech hub talent, skill level, and experience for cheaper, period). Crappy companies forcing people into death marches frequently makes it basically impossible to build up a Github profile worth anything either. Many people used to nothing but good companies don't understand this cycle similar to how rich people will not understand the lives of poor people trying to make it paycheck to paycheck.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thanks to everyone's input. I think I will stick where I am for the time being till I find a good opportunity. I have a little less cash on hand than I'd like for a long-term wait - I've done it in the past but I usually had a little bit of a cushion to run on. I'm low on money this time around because of some unfortunate situations. It'll let me be picky and take something that's good for my career instead of needing to jump at the first half-decent opportunity.

necrobobsledder posted:

The time without a job is a bit of a red flag for employers in fairly conservative regions / sectors that may not be used to having employees with plenty of job options and enough. It matters a bit more as you're higher up in seniority though where employers would like to see their higher management stay put in positions for at least a few years to see some initiatives. It's not like CTOs should be job hopping like engineers every other year to keep getting better pay, right?
I turned down 4 job offers when I was unemployed before and my career has gotten better for it. The misery of a bad job is far, far worse to me than being poor. I spent most of my life poor, bad tech jobs are pure hell comparably IMO with literally the only thing better being "money." This is easier if you grew up poor in some respect but swallowing your pride and just trucking on should be fine or at least help you to learn why you should be more selective of companies at least. Taking jobs out of even slight desperation has been a huge net negative for my career because most places outside tech hubs are seriously horrible trash companies on average and has made me a lot more bitter, cynical person than I should be. Getting laid off unexpectedly and having to fish for jobs outside a tech hub or for remote jobs can be a real crapshoot as well (most places looking for full-time remote are looking for tech hub talent, skill level, and experience for cheaper, period). Crappy companies forcing people into death marches frequently makes it basically impossible to build up a Github profile worth anything either. Many people used to nothing but good companies don't understand this cycle similar to how rich people will not understand the lives of poor people trying to make it paycheck to paycheck.

...But I do feel this a lot. I can handle being poor, I've been there before (a lot), and the mental (and emotional) toll of a miserable job is extremely taxing to me. There is a valuable freedom in simply having time to reset between jobs, particularly after a bad job, to make sure all the negativity and bad attitude has had time to shake out fully before starting on something new. Bad environments are not only really toxic but really contagious, it's easy to take all the negativity from one place and transplant it right to the next place if you're not careful about getting it all out of your system first.

I do kind of wonder if I'll ever get the mythical Good Job. Everywhere I've worked has had good aspects, but they've all degraded pretty quickly to company-wide bad attitude as a result of poor management decisions, which soon turns toxic and leads to big chunks of the workforce quitting or being fired.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone worked on a coding team that's split across countries? I've been getting increasingly nervous ever since I first heard "we'll hire some new programmers for this project we're putting you on, but we don't have the budget to hire them in the US". I've been able to deal with the warning signs of trouble so far because I'm low enough on the totem pole that the growing corporate dysfunction at higher levels hasn't had much impact on my day-to-day work yet, but this is starting to really test my resolve.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My product team is split between the US and England, but there's a very clear delineation of responsibilities between teams, and there's no one group of ICs that's split across countries. I think breaking that promise would not work very well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Has anyone worked on a coding team that's split across countries? I've been getting increasingly nervous ever since I first heard "we'll hire some new programmers for this project we're putting you on, but we don't have the budget to hire them in the US". I've been able to deal with the warning signs of trouble so far because I'm low enough on the totem pole that the growing corporate dysfunction at higher levels hasn't had much impact on my day-to-day work yet, but this is starting to really test my resolve.

Yes, I'm in the US and have worked as part of a team that was mainly in Mexico, but that was a highly skilled and appropriately compensated team that was part of a partner company. Getting a foreign team for the sake of saving money is always bad news.

Software development is a secondary duty in my current job, but our team is completely remote and spread across several countries. It works just fine as long as we take care to schedule the occasional meeting that's compatible with everyone's timezone. We're also a group of talkative people who don't isolate ourselves and use our company chat system heavily.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
If you have mostly different, fairly decoupled functions then it's generally ok to be across different timezones and offices typically, and it's even better if your engineering workflow is enhanced by people being distributed (most companies' workflows are just plain not as discussed for like 8 pages ITT). You probably want a bit of overlap but in one office I had coworkers in Bangalore and another group in Cluj-Napoca and it worked out pretty well for us honestly. I worked on the high-priority stuff that needed to be shipped out quickly for business reasons, if that demoed well I'd polish up what I had to and transferred it over to the engineers in Cluj that would better productize it, and nightly our QA team in Bangalore would take a look at our commits and test the garbage heap. When I came into work, there'd be a test suite report (beyond the stuff that's done by CI that is) and I'd be able to quickly look over what's going on and if anything was urgent I'd get it shaped up and if it was lower priority I'd make a few notes and the Romanian team would take a crack at it that night. Timezones were better overlapping between Romania and PST compared to IST so I'd usually be able to get a quick word in with folks at the office there before they left for the end of the day since they were usually who worked last on the codebase. I really liked that working arrangement honestly.

The problem with cost-saving measures in my experience isn't as much about the measures as much as the fact the business isn't really making enough money and that causes everything to go downhill quickly in terms of morale and emotions.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Main Paineframe posted:

Consider Latin America if you have any input. There are amazing developers clustered in Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, and their timezones are close enough to US timezones to not be an upsetting experience even if you work pretty synchronously, pair often, etc.

e: clearly you won't be getting Hyderabad prices, but it's probably the best cost/benefit proposition if you're going to outsource

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem here isn't that they're going to be in a different country - that presents some organizational challenges but isn't really a big deal. The problem is that they're hiring to save money, which means they won't be putting quality and compatibility first when hiring. You'll get a dysfunctional team, I'd get out of there sooner rather than later.

Also, as others said, these kind of desperate moves to save money are usually a signal of even worse things to come unless there is some kind of miraculous recovery, which isn't likely. Once a company lowers their standards enough to make moves like that, they don't really come back up.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Taffer posted:

The problem here isn't that they're going to be in a different country - that presents some organizational challenges but isn't really a big deal. The problem is that they're hiring to save money, which means they won't be putting quality and compatibility first when hiring. You'll get a dysfunctional team, I'd get out of there sooner rather than later.

Also, as others said, these kind of desperate moves to save money are usually a signal of even worse things to come unless there is some kind of miraculous recovery, which isn't likely. Once a company lowers their standards enough to make moves like that, they don't really come back up.

It *COULD* be a bit better than that. My company has dev offices in Seattle, SFO, London, Stockholm, Barcelona, etc... If they decide that they're going to hire 4 heads in Stockholm and 2 in SFO it's not necessarily due to budget cuts but rather the size of the locations. Now if they're instead saying, "We're going to get some Serbian contractors for 500/mo..." that's something different.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I was loaned to another team for short term going on 2 weeks now. Since then I have got the project built and have done 1 lovely plunkr to demonstrate an idea. They have a jira board, but it's broke and so we are using a wax paper board. I'm not allowed to take tickets until next sprint because all the work is already assigned. Also they don't want me pairing with anyone because everybody is already paired and I'm the odd one out.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rubellavator posted:

I was loaned to another team for short term going on 2 weeks now. Since then I have got the project built and have done 1 lovely plunkr to demonstrate an idea. They have a jira board, but it's broke and so we are using a wax paper board. I'm not allowed to take tickets until next sprint because all the work is already assigned. Also they don't want me pairing with anyone because everybody is already paired and I'm the odd one out.

Clearly they really needed you to be loaned to them.