Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

dantheman650 posted:

If Amnesty becomes the next long arc I’m dipping out. I’m solidly in camp Dust - the players’ characters are all interesting and the setting and mechanics rule so far. Plus that line about whiskey in a barrel totally convinced me of Travis’ exposition capabilities.

If they go with Amnesty, I will still listen but MAN I did not give two shits about most of the characters.
As much as I love Griffin, he needs to not be the GM for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I really enjoyed that Clint seems to be having more fun playing Gandy then he did Ned.

I dig the setting, too. I'd love to do a wild west-ish game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I hope it continues to come up that Gandy does not know that different people can have the same first name.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One problem with Amnesty is that it had basically no game aspect to it whatsoever. Another problem is that it was (sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally) evocative of other properties it didn't really live up to. I don't really care to hear more of it.

Dust is clearly the best so far. The PCs get to make major decisions, exposition happens through mechanics-based fact-finding that the PCs have a say in, there's plenty of room for both character and mechanical goofs, and it leans into its genre underpinnings way more effectively than the other mini-arcs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

PicklePants posted:

I really enjoyed that Clint seems to be having more fun playing Gandy then he did Ned.

Clint kind of spent most of amnesty cut loose from any sort of contextual anchor, which is a really bad thing in general and especially bad for clint, who plays in a very reactionary way and doesn't do well without someone to bounce off of. Griffin not giving him any sort of context about who the gently caress kirby was is kind of a perfect example.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

PicklePants posted:

I dig the setting, too. I'd love to do a wild west-ish game.
Check out Savage Worlds: Dead Lands. Me and mine are starting a new campaign soon, and I'm quite stoked for it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Clint kind of spent most of amnesty cut loose from any sort of contextual anchor, which is a really bad thing in general and especially bad for clint, who plays in a very reactionary way and doesn't do well without someone to bounce off of. Griffin not giving him any sort of context about who the gently caress kirby was is kind of a perfect example.
This is all true. Once he finally got around the other characters, "Are you online?" got the biggest laugh out of me from the whole series.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Clint plays the way I do. Not great at being cut adrift and having to come up with the story whole cloth, but much better with a little structure to bounce off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dust is indeed probably the best of these so far, but honestly my favorite new PC to this point has been Kardala and I would love to see more of her in whatever form.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

kidcoelacanth posted:

Dust is indeed probably the best of these so far, but honestly my favorite new PC to this point has been Kardala and I would love to see more of her in whatever form.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Commitment come back if they gave it some work off-mic. Nadia and particularly Remy weren't my favorite characters they've ever made but it's not like they were irredeemable. It could be easily hammered into a good campaign. Dust is absolutely my top pick though, no competition.

Either would be miles better than Amnesty.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I liked Commitment and Amnesty, but as concepts that needed more time to settle and work out the kinks. Part of why Dust is already so strong is that it hits the ground running straight away. Travis made the smart decision of giving a small amount of backstory and the plot hook, and then throwing the party right into the action. The origin story/pilot episode is neat for a guaranteed long-term serial, but a mistake for a brief proof-of-concept series.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

misadventurous posted:

t hits the ground running straight away. Travis made the smart decision of giving a small amount of backstory and the plot hook, and then throwing the party right into the action.

you mean doing what you're supposed to do with pbta

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mikeycp posted:

you mean doing what you're supposed to do with pbta

This is where Travis really shines. He has the story mapped out, but he's letting the group tell that story. He's trusting the players.

It's really good. Travis is awesome at pbta.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Commitment come back if they gave it some work off-mic. Nadia and particularly Remy weren't my favorite characters they've ever made but it's not like they were irredeemable. It could be easily hammered into a good campaign. Dust is absolutely my top pick though, no competition.

Either would be miles better than Amnesty.

Same, unless Dust shits the bed it's Dust > Commitment with a little workshopping >>>>>> Amnesty. I love Sweet Baby Griffin but yea that felt the most meandering and just kinda 'the PCs drift from story dump to story dump with no real agency'.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Griffin was the worst part of Commitment (in which he roleplayed as Griffin McElroy) and Amnesty (everything about it) so I’m glad he’s doing better.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.
So next will be Elementary and then... uh... F... Fleet? Some spacey f word.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Henry Crustwheel posted:

Adventure Zone: gently caress

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/RGxkF2_I79s

I like this! Catchy. The typo in the title is not indicitive of the quality of the work.

sexpig by night posted:

Same, unless Dust shits the bed it's Dust > Commitment with a little workshopping >>>>>> Amnesty. I love Sweet Baby Griffin but yea that felt the most meandering and just kinda 'the PCs drift from story dump to story dump with no real agency'.

Amnesty still has potential, but it’s going to tak a serious turnaround to make it interesting to listen to. Dust is the first one of the mini-arcs that really feels like TAZ proper. Seems like the more influence the players have over the story, the better it is.

I’m also very impressed by Travis’s DMing skill, particularly the system he came up with to handle time passing. I got the sense that Griffin wanted to do something similar in Crystal Kingdom, but couldn’t figure out a good way to do it.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
if you guys aren't lying and this new adventure zone thing is Back To Basics I might listen to TAZ for the first time in 6 or 7 months.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is where Travis really shines. He has the story mapped out, but he's letting the group tell that story. He's trusting the players.

It's really good. Travis is awesome at pbta.

Hell yeah!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Martian Manfucker posted:

if you guys aren't lying and this new adventure zone thing is Back To Basics I might listen to TAZ for the first time in 6 or 7 months.

Plenty of good goofs, but more serious, smart DMing (including note taking being important), and actual time management.

It's a good game.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
I'm sort of worried that Griffin is going to refuse to give it up to Travis for the full season, even if Dust is better received.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Yeah, if you were as burned out on Griffin's dollar-store Friends At The Table impersonation as I was, Dust is absolutely worth checking out. It's definitely back to the "trio of goof ups in beyond their depth" that made TAZ good.

AzureFlame posted:

I'm sort of worried that Griffin is going to refuse to give it up to Travis for the full season, even if Dust is better received.

Given how much Griffin gushed about the praise Amnesty got than hasn't been mentioned before or since, we're probably gonna be stuck with a season of bad Charmed fanfiction but I hope I'm wrong.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

AzureFlame posted:

:jerkbag:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

May The Podcast King have mercy on his poor brother.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The thing you need to know about middlest brothers is they try harder.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Ariong posted:

May The Podcast King have mercy on his poor brother.

According to the iTunes charts the Podcast King is Dax Shepard so it's long past time to abolish the monarchy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/969390189503176705

And yeah, Travis is pretty much the dream DM. Lets you have the goofs, keeps enough structure that the games keeps moving, has enough of an overarching plot to keep the suspense going.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Haha what? I had no idea Jenkins was Ben Jenkins. That's cool as hell.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh wow. Also thanks to whoever mentioned Dragon Friends itt a while ago, i blew through all of it in a couple of weeks and it's really great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/969390189503176705

And yeah, Travis is pretty much the dream DM. Lets you have the goofs, keeps enough structure that the games keeps moving, has enough of an overarching plot to keep the suspense going.

WORLDS COLLIDING

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I was so burnt out after the first half of Amnesty I just gave up and skipped through the rest. Took this thread to get me to give TAZ a go again and god drat Travis is doing a good job. This is shaping up to be a really fun five-six episodes, after which I'm certain they'll push the thing onto Griffin, not because he should be the DM, but because he just seems so unfortunately drat eager to do it.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Henry Crustwheel posted:

Fish

edit: the conspiratory Griffin chat never fails to be weird and off-base. I doubt he is seizing control of the reins and holding his family/the listeners hostage just because he was keen on the story and world he made up.
Like, you can think he was a poor GM or Amnesty was boring without making up some backstage drama

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Amnesty is by far the best of the 3 they've done.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Dust >> Commitment >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amnesty

I really like the world of Amnesty and think it has a lot of potential but it was an utter drag to listen to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

I’m also very impressed by Travis’s DMing skill, particularly the system he came up with to handle time passing. I got the sense that Griffin wanted to do something similar in Crystal Kingdom, but couldn’t figure out a good way to do it.

it's basically identical to the system Austin Walker uses on Friends at the Table for their holiday murder mystery games. but its pretty much the ideal way to handle this sort of thing, so its most likely a case of great minds think alike

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Acute Grill posted:

Adventure Zone: gently caress

Are they really up to learning how FATAL works, though?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Listen to Dust ASAP.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Rodyle posted:

Amnesty is by far the best of the 3 they've done.

Nah

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I haven’t listened to dust, but I thought amnesty was way better than commitment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It’s only a tad disappointing that nobody has straight-up used Tit Liquid as their character.