Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I picked up Hard West a little while ago on sale, and I've decided that I'm going to actually play some of the games I have on steam. Anything I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I picked up Hard West a little while ago on sale, and I've decided that I'm going to actually play some of the games I have on steam. Anything I should know?
Yeah.

- This. Is. Not. Xcom. The single most important mechanic to master is flanking; 99% of the time you want your team split and approaching the enemy from different angles, ideally multiple ones. That being said, they should not be so far apart they cannot support each other in case of emergency; you'll get the hang of the movement distances and so on eventually. Just spread your guys out.

- Most of the weapons are pretty interchangeable; you generally want to go for either the things with biggest damage (rifles/shotguns) or ammo capacity (pistols).

- The campaign is episodic, you'll be switching characters a lot. That being said, there's no leveling up and customization is done by reusable cards so it is not an issue.

- Demons are bad news and you definitely want to focus fire them ASAP.

- The game's "Luck" system is not, in fact, luck-based at all. Luck is a meter, as long as you have some, you will dodge bullets and detract from the meter. Once it runs out, you take damage and the meter starts anew. Managing this is key for surviving longer missions.

- Don't fret too much over the CYOA segments, even if you gently caress up badly, the missions are still winnable given some strategy; even a wounded unit can dish out plenty of pain.

- Ricochet is the single best ability in the game because it lets you bounce shots so they can hit enemies from sides and behind. It bears repeating, this game is all about cover.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ulio posted:

You can't feed the plant everyday. For most stats you can just gain them everyday or even more than once per day.

Work at the flower shop, talk to the kid, read a book, study at the diner; there are a lot of ways to use a time slot to gain points in any given stat. The plant is special in that it's a time-free bonus you can get every two weeks or so as long as you keep an eye on it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah.

- This. Is. Not. Xcom. The single most important mechanic to master is flanking; 99% of the time you want your team split and approaching the enemy from different angles, ideally multiple ones. That being said, they should not be so far apart they cannot support each other in case of emergency; you'll get the hang of the movement distances and so on eventually. Just spread your guys out.

- Most of the weapons are pretty interchangeable; you generally want to go for either the things with biggest damage (rifles/shotguns) or ammo capacity (pistols).

- The campaign is episodic, you'll be switching characters a lot. That being said, there's no leveling up and customization is done by reusable cards so it is not an issue.

- Demons are bad news and you definitely want to focus fire them ASAP.

- The game's "Luck" system is not, in fact, luck-based at all. Luck is a meter, as long as you have some, you will dodge bullets and detract from the meter. Once it runs out, you take damage and the meter starts anew. Managing this is key for surviving longer missions.

- Don't fret too much over the CYOA segments, even if you gently caress up badly, the missions are still winnable given some strategy; even a wounded unit can dish out plenty of pain.

- Ricochet is the single best ability in the game because it lets you bounce shots so they can hit enemies from sides and behind. It bears repeating, this game is all about cover.

Thank you, that looks helpful!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so about a week ago someone asked about Stellaris and the big ol 2.0 Apocalypse update, now that it's been out for a bit for thoughts to percolate here's what i could come up with. i'd suggest whoever's in charge of the wiki delete what was there since i kept the ones that still apply to the game right now

quote:

- The following assumes you have all Stellaris DLC because a) it's all cool and good and worth it and b) it's a mild pain in the rear end to remember what is / isn't DLC mechanics in these kinds of games(only exception being the Nova / Galaxy Edition upgrades, as those are literally just a single portrait and some eBook nonsense).

- As of 2.0 the way to expand your territory is to send a construction ship to an unclaimed system and build an outpost there. Then once it's claimed you can set up your mining / research stations and colonize any planets that are currently colonizable.

- You don't HAVE to claim your territory contiguously, but you get increasingly higher influence costs the further the system is from any of your claimed systems, so the bulk of the time it'll make the most sense to always grab a system adjacent to your empire's borders

- Even basic Outposts can have some Defense Stations built around it without upgrading it to a Starbase. Handy if some small-scale nuisances like pirates keep up gunning for the same system.

- Speaking of pirates, they pop up in unclaimed systems adjacent to your claimed systems. They also increase in chance if they have multiple claimed systems around one unclaimed system. So this is an incentive to eventually fill in any unclaimed bubbles left over in your territory that you might've skipped past initially because the system itself wasn't super valuable.

- Don't sleep on Starbases and their upgraded forms though. They are great for defensive wars, especially when you get upgrades like FTL Inhibitors that forces the enemy fleet to take care of it before being allowed to move past that system and into your more vulnerable territory.

- Like a lot of 4X games grabbing more territory will increase the costs of obtaining new technologies / traditions, with a colonized planet increasing the costs a lot more than a system. You can see the exact percentage by hovering the tooltip over the current cost of a technology / your next tradition unlock. This isn't super crippling or anything but it's something to keep in mind when it comes to what buildings to construct and whether or not that 2 energy and nothing else system is worth claiming.

- The priority of what systems to grab: systems with colonizable planets(either immediately colonizable or colonizable soon-ish), systems with high resources, systems that make good chokepoints because of how the hyperlanes are situationed (either for waging war or cutting off nearby neighbors for expanding in a certain direction you'd like to expand), filling in space to not have to deal with so many drat pirate attacks

- The general agenda of other empires can be deduced by their trait description. One who's a "Spiritualist Seekers" will like other spiritual empires, and a "Fanatical Purifier" is probably going to try and kill you at some point. Gifts and deliberately favorable trade deals are usually the only way at first to improve relations, until you can get a treaty which starts building trust.

-When you start making Sectors, look at their planets and see if they lend themselves to a specialization rather than just generic resources. They may have really good energy planets for instance.

- Lasers beat armor, kinetic weapons beat shields, missiles beat a little of both and are more accurate, but can be shot down by point defense. Normal guns and lasers are not point defense.

- Energy production is important, even if you have a good surplus throughout the game, a sizable late game fleet can put you in a pretty big deficit if you don't have a large production. Keep in mind that a fleet costs a lot more upkeep when it is not docked.

- Energy Credits are primarily used as maintenance costs for ships / buildings / stations and for buying new leaders. Outside of that though, some not immediately obvious uses for bulk Energy Credits: getting bonuses from the various Enclaves(they're sorta like Civ V/Vi City-States; Curators will give boosts to science or buying new scientists, Artists will gives boosts to Unity, Traders can trade your energy for minerals), paying off Raiders to attack enemy Empires, Campaigns in the Policies and Edicts tab

- Research is stored when your scientists are busy with special projects so don't be concerned about falling behind on tech due to projects.

- Look through the Ascension Perks tied to your traditions at the start of the game, and try to pick a few to go for. Some are locked behind tech, so its helpful to decide, which type of endgame you want to pursue, so you can pick the techs as they come up.

e: i realize this is a lot of info but 4x games are honestly real dense with mechanics and player options so i feel it's sorta justified

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
I recently got Final Fantasy Type 0 and World of Final Fantasy via steam sale. Does anyone have any tips/tricks on them?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Life is Feudal other than it's Banished?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for Life is Feudal other than it's Banished?

If you play the MMO part, there's a goon community that has their own thread, which you should probably read before starting out as it tells you all the important character creation stuff and how to get to Ye Olde Detroit.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What is Kingdom Come:Deliverance and why am i suddenly hearing so much about it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What is Kingdom Come:Deliverance and why am i suddenly hearing so much about it?
Skyrim, but you aren't special and there aren't any dragons.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mayor McCheese posted:

-Selling loot unlocks items you can purchase under the 'Bazaar' tab. There is an invisible counter that will reset back to 0 once you sell the appropriate amount of items needed to unlock your reward.

I thought that was specific only to the original version of FFXII. I'm sure I heard that they fixed that annoyance in TZA

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zaodai posted:

If you play the MMO part, there's a goon community that has their own thread, which you should probably read before starting out as it tells you all the important character creation stuff and how to get to Ye Olde Detroit.

Could you give me a link? I can't seem to find it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goondor calls for aid!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I thought that was specific only to the original version of FFXII. I'm sure I heard that they fixed that annoyance in TZA

Oh hey, I hope that is true. I already finished TZA so I can't confirm and I sold stuff carefully. Regardless, that would be one less big headache for anyone who is playing it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I didn't realize there were a bunch of different versions. I should have said Life is Feudal: Forest Village.

it seems to be Banished but in that engine.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's a game that's pretty much Dark Messiah of Might & Magic but much more realistic, so you play as some magic-less, kick-less schlub. I have not played it, but it seems like a pretty fun action RPG, especially if you like games that ape real life.

You may be hearing about it because PC grogs love it, but also one of the founders/writers/directors got wild on Twitter when a Eurogamer reviewer pointed out there weren't any Blacks in the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

im cute posted:

It's a game that's pretty much Dark Messiah of Might & Magic but much more realistic, so you play as some magic-less, kick-less schlub. I have not played it, but it seems like a pretty fun action RPG, especially if you like games that ape real life.

You may be hearing about it because PC grogs love it, but also one of the founders/writers/directors got wild on Twitter when a Eurogamer reviewer pointed out there weren't any Blacks in the game.

Hey, you can kick

It's a semi-realistic medieval peasant simulator; instead of starting the game as the big chosen one hero, you're just the son of a blacksmith, and in addition to sucking at combat at first and having to learn, you have to eat, bathe, sleep, learn to read, etc as you travel through a beautifully-depicted 1403 bohemia.

It's just got loads of little bits of verisimilitude and attention to detail that are very novel and refreshing compared to your average games like these. It's got some jank and some bugs and you have to mod in some QoL stuff but it's pretty cool overall.

I don't know anything about the lead dev's personality and i refuse to learn, and this probably isn't the thread to get into it

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All I know is that apparently the devs are racist because persons of color are under-represented in 15th century Bohemia. :thunk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, yes, that would be true. brown and black people lived among the population in most if not all of europe at any given point after the roman empire

citing "historical accuracy" to justify the complete exclusion of pocs in your game is both racist and entirely incorrect

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One more for Subnautica:

- Don't loving play on one-life Hardcore. There are already plenty of tense moments as it is, don'ttorture yourself with having to replay 10 hours of looking for blueprints because you forgot to pack a decoy and got eaten by a sea monster.

Zaodai posted:

All I know is that apparently the devs are racist because persons of color are under-represented in 15th century Bohemia. :thunk:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

They are racists for their vehement defense against putting people of color in 15th Century Bohemia. Upon being shown proof of people of color in 15th Century Behemia, they dismissed it in a super tone deaf way. They pride their game on "realism" and health potions exist in their game. Waypoint was where I got this news from.

If you got an idealistic brand against games made by people with bad politics, this is one of those games. If you want a skyrim like, complete with a clean-face mod, this is one of those games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The loving patron saint of Bohemia and the entire HRE was black, and the rest of the "historical verisimilitude" is that level of lazy. If you're interested in the game based on that selling point it fails.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm not defending the devs, I've just seen the argument go back and forth between fans when it was released and it seemed humorous to me. If the devs actually went out of their way to then to make their actual intent racist, then that's on them.

I'll probably pick it up when it hits a 75% sale a year down the road, but for the same reason I played Skyrim. Stabbing random people like an insane hobo and taking their poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I'm not defending the devs, I've just seen the argument go back and forth between fans when it was released and it seemed humorous to me.

:goonsay:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know anything about the lead dev's personality.. and this probably isn't the thread to get into it

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gentlemen, this is not something you need to know before you play a game. Please take it to the proper thread.

Anyone got any hints for Nex Mechanica?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For Nier: Automata
Chips with a diamond symbol next to them use much less capacity than normal, and they should be fused only with other diamond chips.
Sometimes it's more efficient to have two or three low level chips than one high level chip.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

so about a week ago someone asked about Stellaris and the big ol 2.0 Apocalypse update, now that it's been out for a bit for thoughts to percolate here's what i could come up with. i'd suggest whoever's in charge of the wiki delete what was there since i kept the ones that still apply to the game right now

e: i realize this is a lot of info but 4x games are honestly real dense with mechanics and player options so i feel it's sorta justified

I've replaced the tips on the Stellaris page with these. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anyone have anything for Into the Breach? I can't tell if I'm failing early on because I'm supposed to fail, or if I'm just bad at this.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anyone have anything for Into the Breach? I can't tell if I'm failing early on because I'm supposed to fail, or if I'm just bad at this.

Grid is always your first priority. Mech hp and even the pilots' lives are expendable. A dead pilot will be replaced by an AI in the next mission, though it will not gain levels. You don't need to kill all of the bugs in a mission and you shouldn't aim for that if it means you are putting your grid at risk.

Make use of all the skills that push bugs and even your own mechs around. Try to make the bugs shoot or hit each other or block their entry points. You can hold down alt to see your enemies' attack order and use that to your advantage.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but my buddy might convince me to start with him soon with Worlds. I've watched a few twitch streams but the game looks like it has a billion little systems and stuff. It this going to be Path of Exile levels of learning curve? Anything I should know going in blind? I wanna have fun and beat up a monster or two.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pursued by bees posted:

Grid is always your first priority. Mech hp and even the pilots' lives are expendable. A dead pilot will be replaced by an AI in the next mission, though it will not gain levels. You don't need to kill all of the bugs in a mission and you shouldn't aim for that if it means you are putting your grid at risk.

Make use of all the skills that push bugs and even your own mechs around. Try to make the bugs shoot or hit each other or block their entry points. You can hold down alt to see your enemies' attack order and use that to your advantage.
Should I start with Easy mode and work my way up?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

poemdexter posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but my buddy might convince me to start with him soon with Worlds. I've watched a few twitch streams but the game looks like it has a billion little systems and stuff. It this going to be Path of Exile levels of learning curve? Anything I should know going in blind? I wanna have fun and beat up a monster or two.

World is the easiest MH to get into so far, so you'll be pretty good. Things to keep in mind:

- The combat is heavily animation-based, and you have little to no i-frames. Think Dark Souls, if dodging only gave you .125 seconds of invincibility. Dodge rolling is great, but the best way to fight effectively is to not be where the monster is attacking.
- Try the different weapons. Most weapons play radically differently from each other, so find what you like to play. If in doubt, go Hammer, Dual Blades, or Switch Axe.
- Use your items! Potions and mega potions are trivially easy to get, and Demondrugs and Armorskins last until you faint. It's not uncommon for people to go through 7-8 mega potions in a fight, and tough fights can easily take all your potions and mega potions. This is normal, just keep attacking.
- Eat before every hunt. Sit at the canteen and select what bonus you want. It does cost some zenny but the cost is truly trivial.

Other than that, just keep your eyes open. Monster dodging becomes second nature after a while.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Counterpoint: No.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

poemdexter posted:

Generally:
-Use a wiki when you're stuck or need information. Seriously, most of the tips you need are right here: https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/Tips
-Try the alternate camera mode in the options menu, because there's two and you can choose whichever you like best. Veterans prefer Target mode.
-Getting online can be a confusing at first, but joining a squad means you can have a dedicated online session with your friends. You may have to unlock the Gathering hub in Astera first, which will likely show up after a few story missions.
-The first time you play story missions you should try them solo. The game is automatically balanced around the number of players, and the story missions have numerous cutscenes. Additionally, these cutscenes will block access to multiplayer functions until they have all been triggered, so this way you can immediately call in help the second time.
-Playing solo (or duo) is also the fastest way to level your Palico.
-Look up a guide for the Grimalkyne side quests if you want to unlock new equipment for your Palico.

To add specifics:
-At the outset, defense is king. Even if you can only make random armour parts, grab what you can to boost defense.
-If you like an armour piece and want to keep it a bit longer, then you can upgrade its defense at the smithy using armour spheres.
-Eventually, you'll want to focus on whole armour sets so that you activate the built in skills. Some sets even have bonus skills that activate if you wear a specified number of set pieces. By the end of the game you'll be building armour sets to fight a specific monster, either to negate a status effect, or to boost elemental defense, or both.
-When playing online, the items in the supply box are shared. There's enough rations and potions for up to four people so leave enough for others.
-Sometimes a monster's tail can be cut off, which grants an extra carve for materials. You should wait until the monster leaves the area before carving so that you're not open to monster attacks. The exception to this is when you're fighting in the arena and special arena. You'll have to pick a safe moment to carve during those missions.
-Going on expeditions will help populate your map with the locations of minerals, plants, mushrooms, and other environmental features.
-Most numbered areas have a defining characteristic. Some have environmental hazards, others have smaller monsters that may attack, and some are nests where monsters retreat to sleep and recover health.
-The slinger (available when stones or other ammo is collected) is a great little tool, especially for melee fighters. It can bring down stalactites for heavy damage, it can be used in rodeo mode to lessen the amount of stabbing, and some ammo types can even stagger monsters with a single shot.
-The slinger can also be used anytime you're around a wedge beetle for increased mobility. There's a few in the training area hanging from the vines. Regardless of what's in your slinger, aim up and grapple to swing your way around.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Evil Mastermind posted:

Depends on how you feel about failing. If you don't want to fail, then start on Easy. Normal will however get more stuff faster and is probably a better way to learn the game.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lorini already gave a nice answer, but I guess I'll throw in my opinion as well: the choice is ultimately up to you, but I would personally recommend that you play on the highest difficulty you find fun. If you want to take it a bit easier at the beginning, then there's no shame in that. The difficulty setting only affects enemy spawn rates as far as I know, so you're not missing any content by playing on easy.

The game really, really rewards you for taking your sweet time and meticulously planning out your current turn. Rift walkers (the starter mechs) are such a well-rounded and intuitive team that you can manage basically every turn without taking grid damage, unless you let enemy spawns get out of hand or position yourself really badly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

poemdexter posted:

The hub area builds up systems as you go, like there's a farm where you can grow herbs, mushrooms, and insects but that doesn't show up for a bit, and then you do optional quests to upgrade various things in the hub, more food in the canteen, more fertilizers or slots for the farm, etc.

Here's my tips on a lot of the system gotchas that I found helpful

-Optional quests will show you who issued them, so if they came from say the botanist or chef, they'll likely upgrade their respective areas in the hub
-Investigations get populated as you play, these are quests you go on that provide additional rewards and help with farming
-You have to register Investigations at the Resource Center, which is the group of 3 NPCs like to the left of you when you spawn in the hub, if you don't register them they won't be on your notice board
-The Investigation list will eventually fill up, it holds 250, so you'll wanna delete old and/or useless ones to get newer ones to populate
-Register Bounties at the Resource Center too, you have to select them in the first tab for bounties and they're passive, not separate quests, so you can gather 8 mushrooms while hunting other stuff
-There's a pig in the hub which is called a Poogie, pet it after every quest, press the pet button when the ! appears
-There are load-outs for Items and Equipment, press start/options when looking at the Manage Items screen or Change Equipment screen
-Also there's button prompts for things like that at under the menus, so you can see how to say move those load-outs around or rename them
-To change the order of items on your quick-bar, hit start, select Item Pouch, and press I think triangle/Y but it says the button at the bottom
-If you customize the radial menus those stick to the load-outs you save
-When you're at the Smithy you can add stuff to a wishlist so when you get the required items it'll tell you, you can also check to see if you have the materials to craft the full list
-Pretty much everything is viable, it's not like there are classes really, so it's really easy to adjust and try something else
-Armor has skills, to level those up you wear more armor with that skill, later on this is more important and easier to deal with and customize but that's closer to end-game
-There's a researcher sitting on a pile of books, when your research level on a monster levels up talk to him and then he'll add information to your monster manual in your Hunter's Notes menu (start and tab over 3 I think to find that)

So yeah, there's a lot but it's mostly that it doesn't explicitly tell you poo poo, most of what you need will be in button descriptions under menus that people often ignore, but once you know all of this and get into it it's not as bad as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Thanks to everyone for the monster hunter tips!

Brightman posted:

The hub area builds up systems as you go, like there's a farm where you can grow herbs, mushrooms, and insects but that doesn't show up for a bit, and then you do optional quests to upgrade various things in the hub, more food in the canteen, more fertilizers or slots for the farm, etc.

Here's my tips on a lot of the system gotchas that I found helpful

-Optional quests will show you who issued them, so if they came from say the botanist or chef, they'll likely upgrade their respective areas in the hub
-Investigations get populated as you play, these are quests you go on that provide additional rewards and help with farming
-You have to register Investigations at the Resource Center, which is the group of 3 NPCs like to the left of you when you spawn in the hub, if you don't register them they won't be on your notice board
-The Investigation list will eventually fill up, it holds 250, so you'll wanna delete old and/or useless ones to get newer ones to populate
-Register Bounties at the Resource Center too, you have to select them in the first tab for bounties and they're passive, not separate quests, so you can gather 8 mushrooms while hunting other stuff
-There's a pig in the hub which is called a Poogie, pet it after every quest, press the pet button when the ! appears
-There are load-outs for Items and Equipment, press start/options when looking at the Manage Items screen or Change Equipment screen
-Also there's button prompts for things like that at under the menus, so you can see how to say move those load-outs around or rename them
-To change the order of items on your quick-bar, hit start, select Item Pouch, and press I think triangle/Y but it says the button at the bottom
-If you customize the radial menus those stick to the load-outs you save
-When you're at the Smithy you can add stuff to a wishlist so when you get the required items it'll tell you, you can also check to see if you have the materials to craft the full list
-Pretty much everything is viable, it's not like there are classes really, so it's really easy to adjust and try something else
-Armor has skills, to level those up you wear more armor with that skill, later on this is more important and easier to deal with and customize but that's closer to end-game
-There's a researcher sitting on a pile of books, when your research level on a monster levels up talk to him and then he'll add information to your monster manual in your Hunter's Notes menu (start and tab over 3 I think to find that)

So yeah, there's a lot but it's mostly that it doesn't explicitly tell you poo poo, most of what you need will be in button descriptions under menus that people often ignore, but once you know all of this and get into it it's not as bad as it sounds.

Petting the pig do anything? I’ve done it once or twice.