Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Brahman is complicated, yo.

Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The NecroMech chat should probably be in the KS thread at this point.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
so what's the difference between dieselpunk and gaspunk

e: oops, missed the last page, I did not intend to encourage people to discuss the question of *punk taxonomy in the wrong thread

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 2, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

so what's the difference between dieselpunk and gaspunk

In Dieselpunk the air is compressed first, and then the fuel is injected.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bedlamdan posted:

In Dieselpunk the air is compressed first, and then the fuel is injected.

Also everyone wears denim and bandanas instead of tweed and gears

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Rob Zombie's Dragula aesthetic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
dieselpunk can be cool, it's steampunk's cool cousin

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Xelkelvos posted:

The funny thing about RPGs is that they could totally be organized like board games where it's 2-6 hours of people at a table with their character sheets, their resolution system of choice and whatever visual or textual aids that they need with single sessions being more or less one and done things. This is the sort of culture Japan has with their RPGs where, rather than having a series of shorter sessions over the course of months or years, it's one or two extended sessions that go from start to finish. You can see this in the Double Cross and Tenra Bnasho books that got translated as they explain the general flow of a game where, in the former, players are totally expected to burn themselves out and go out with a bang by the end of the session as part of the climax. This is built into the system and written as the intended mode of play.

The Western RPG campaign style, in a sense, operate like the long running series that are the norm in the US which are generally run until a conclusion is forced by external events or because every just gets bored and wants to move one. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way, but it is

The tradeoff for that, though, is the relatively light nature of these systems (that I've seen, anyway) which might lower their appeal to the kind of people at organized gaming clubs who are there for "board games or whatever's going". I mean, there's times when I'd totally just want to relax at games club by being in a GSS session and being a cute fox kid who's helpful to people, but not everyone's going to want that (or feel comfortable admitting it, for that matter!)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

sexpig by night posted:

This is a theoretical cousin, right, like the high school girlfriend you don't know because she lives in Canada?

'cause I ain't never seen an actual dieselpunk work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't Sky Captain supposed to be good?

And 90s Warzone / Mutant Chronicles had a great vibe.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i loved sky captain but i'm not sure if i would call it "good"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's good!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

This is a theoretical cousin, right, like the high school girlfriend you don't know because she lives in Canada?

I mean, the only working steampunk is The Difference Engine, so in that respect they're pretty closely related.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Also note that The Difference Engine is as or more heavy on the "punk" side of the genre. The advanced industrial revolution literally causes London to be uninhabitable in the summer and the rich people move away, leaving the poors to suffocate and die. The Captains of Industry turn out to be worse than the old nobility and the epilogue is literally an epistolary description of how the leader of the revolution was a disgusting, abusive pedophile.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, the only working steampunk is The Difference Engine, so in that respect they're pretty closely related.

Arcanum was mostly okay.

The writing, anyway, outside of the gnome illuminati quest.

I am also a fan of Fitzpatrick's War.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Scott Westerfield's Leviathan series is pretty good, Cherie Priest's stuff tends to be solid, China Miéville's Bas-Lag stuff has a lot of steam punk in it. It's not the core pitch for Dread Nation but it's definitely of that era, and I've heard good things.

Basically there's still a lot of crap in steampunk and dieselpunk and as fashion/lifestyle movements they remain full of awful people, but there's an increasing body of works that are worth checking out. In part because people are pushing back at the white colonialist fantasy and using the backdrop to tell the kind of stories that should be told in it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I thought dieselpunk was... well, diesel-powered tech, and more tended to cover stuff that had a fantasy interwar-ish tone?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I feel like dieselpunk is a term that the designer of said bad RPG created because he wanted to do steampunk... but better! And different!

(it isn't any different at all, is it Steve?)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

I feel like dieselpunk is a term that the designer of said bad RPG created because he wanted to do steampunk... but better! And different!

(it isn't any different at all, is it Steve?)

Nah, it's been around for a while. A decade at least, maybe more.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mors Rattus posted:

:rip: Crimson Skies

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:rip: Crimson Skies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqLr0Qy-DyE

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I was sad that there has never been a Tailspin RPG but then I discovered there is a terrible fan-made one and now I'm...more sad.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Someone needs to do this right. Or make a flight path game/mod

E: then again, tale-spin was never really about arial combat (more one side trying to avoid the bandits and get to safety)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

sexpig by night posted:

Diesel is Shaq & Kevin Nash.

Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie is a Fate Skypirates game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mors Rattus posted:

I think dieselpunk pretty accurately describes Final Fantasy VII just from hearing it. This is the only thing I've seen it used to describe and now I'm convinced it was created to describe Final Fantasy VII.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They use Mako energy, not diesel

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nickoten posted:

I think dieselpunk pretty accurately describes Final Fantasy VII just from hearing it. This is the only thing I've seen it used to describe and now I'm convinced it was created to describe Final Fantasy VII.

It describes, maybe, the first disc. After a while the aesthetic goes out the window and it's just normal Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Final Fantasy VII is cyberpunk, just a different strain of it than the kind that's heavily concerned with information technology.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

Excuse me?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The first disk is the best part of the game and the whole game would've been better if it all took place in Midgar, anyways.

But yes, it's cyberpunk. Select parts of FF6 would be far closer to dieselpunk.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cyberpunk that visits the suburbs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a pretty clear example of Dieselpunk. Also The Rocketeer.

Edit: Basically retro futurism with roughly 20s to 40s aesthetics. Steampunk is Victorian aesthetics while Atompunk/Ray gun gothic is 50s.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 4, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

The first disk is the best part of the game and the whole game would've been better if it all took place in Midgar, anyways.

But yes, it's cyberpunk. Select parts of FF6 would be far closer to dieselpunk.

Well go play Crisis Core then

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Cyberpunk that visits the suburbs.

I'd be down for reading a series of suburban cyberpunk stories. Just a bunch of working stiffs' bratty kids running around thinking that they're shadowrunners. That sounds in my head like it would be fun.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Qoey posted:

I'd be down for reading a series of suburban cyberpunk stories. Just a bunch of working stiffs' bratty kids running around thinking that they're shadowrunners. That sounds in my head like it would be fun.

This is Snow Crash, isn't it? At least the first half of it and the bits that aren't about the internet.

A bunch of copycat suburbs, corporate owned, each with their own currency.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
*clears throat loudly* eberron is khyberpunk

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

It describes, maybe, the first disc. After a while the aesthetic goes out the window and it's just normal Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

Having replayed this I know this is not true. (Spoilers for a 20 year-old game) The game spends a lot of time showing you how the rest of the world has suffered under the mass industrialization Shinra has forced upon them. Disc 2 has a lot of moments that show you how far Shinra stretches: from deep underwater to outer space. Hell, the game shows us that Shinra's cannon can defeat the planet's own guardians in one shot. Twice.

I think FF7 is a good example of the 90's. It really pushes that message of "technology is bad, the planet's dying because of it" that I think was a core tenant of the decade. That was the era of Captain Planet and Fern Gully, trying to push to kids that nature needed saving.

Plutonis posted:

They use Mako energy, not diesel

Makopunk then? :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Spiritpunk?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Best advice I got from this forum was running Eberron with the Marked Houses as cyberpunk corps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's dungeon punk!

*screams loudly while shaking you* It's literally dungeon punk