Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fart City posted:

I was super disappointed to find out that Highlander 2 didn't do more ground-up world building from the fertile soil that had already been established. Like my dream sequel would be a mortal but terminally ill corporate CEO setting up a massive manhunt for MacLeod in the hopes that if he beheaded him his immortality would transfer. Like just imagine the insane set pieces you could get from that premise alone.

Pretty sure this was the plot of The Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Okay, but what if in the not to distant future, Highlander is like really old so his immortal powers don't work as good but then he finds a female clone child version of himself?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Now you're just recycling the plot of The Artist.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now you're just recycling the plot of The Artist.

I have a confession: I laughed at the "BANG" joke near the end of The Artist.

Is the dog still alive? He's the best character.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

21 Muns posted:

It would probably actually be a net negative for the LGBT movement because it would turn large swathes of quiet homophobes who are in denial that society is turning against them into loud homophobes intent on retaking control of society by any means necessary.

Heck, just the current amount of representation has caused my brother to whenever there is a family gathering start at least one conversation about how the “gay lobby” is putting gay people in “almost every show” (yet only gives the same two or three examples every time). I shudder to think what would happen if his daughter turned out to be gay.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The MSJ posted:

Is the dog still alive? He's the best character.

The dog died a while ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Will Ferrell punched that dog in the face

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And well he should have. There had been rumors for years about that dog's casting kennel.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The MSJ posted:

Uh, what else were you supposed to do at it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The planet Zeist.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

21 Muns posted:

It would probably actually be a net negative for the LGBT movement because it would turn large swathes of quiet homophobes who are in denial that society is turning against them into loud homophobes intent on retaking control of society by any means necessary. It probably isn't worth making a gay Disney lead until there is no significant demographic who objects to it.

Yeah, they should all probably just get back in the closet for their own safety, huh?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Elsa going to be gay in Frozen 2. Social cause is now marketable, the studios have recognized. Elsa will be the first gay person ever in a movie and it will be a landmark groundbreaking glass ceiling defying event for the masses.

Only $10 bux. In 3D.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any prospect of Black Panther still being number-one next week or is A Wrinkle In Time likely to top it?

I just did a quick google and various sites are projecting that A Wrinkle In Time will have an opening weekend of about $52 million, and Black Panther will be on its 4th weekend and no film has ever made $52 million on its 4th weekend (Avatar came close but everything else has been way under) so it looks like it'll finally be knocked off the #1 spot. Dunno if it'll be able to claw its way back to the top before Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 open but I guess we'll see.

But that's not to say that the shine is wearing off BP. It just entered it's 3rd week which is usually when cinemas start allotting less screenings to films (or especially strong films might not lose any screens) but in BP's case they're actually adding more screens. Also Red Sparrow and Death Wish both premiered today but BP not only kept the #1 spot, it made as much money as the next 5 top films combined.

Oh and Jumanji 2 is still quietly powering along and even though it's been in cinemas for two and a half months it's still pulling in a couple million every weekend. It probably won't make a billion dollars but it should make $950 million fairly easily.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
#representationmatters

The funny thing is that she can be gay wjth, like, SnowSprite or some similar otherworldly fantastical creature. But watch the nuclear takes if they decided to pair her with a person of color.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You're gonna lose tens or hundreds of millions of dollars Asia if your main character is gay.
Yo I don't know what part of Asia you live in but there are for sure parts that are way better about homosexually than you seem to think.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I am not well versed on the situation in China but I do remember seeing news a few weeks back that China banned a couple of this season's anime series because (paraphrasing) "encouraged homosexual relationships"

Not really a good precedent to have.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

I want to like A Wrinkle in Time but it does look weird enough that people are freaking out so I really don't know how it will play out.

Does it really look weird? The trailer made it look like a by the numbers chosen one story and pretty trite at that. Never read the book so I wouldn't know how true the movie is to it.

But I expect Black Panther to still win out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh and Jumanji 2 is still quietly powering along and even though it's been in cinemas for two and a half months it's still pulling in a couple million every weekend. It probably won't make a billion dollars but it should make $950 million fairly easily.

Has it opened in Japan yet? I heard it's had a very delayed Japanese opening so that could conceivably push it closer (if not over the line) to a billion.

BP's getting to the billion dollar mark, isn't it? At the very least, it's got a pretty decent chance of getting close to the $600m domestic mark (granted, I've read that the first Avengers movie had made about 90% of its domestic box office in its first three weeks, but BP looks like it'll have better legs than Avengers).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Holy poo poo I thought Wrinkle in Time was going to flop

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I think it still is going to

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has it opened in Japan yet? I heard it's had a very delayed Japanese opening so that could conceivably push it closer (if not over the line) to a billion.

Oh drat I didn't even realise. Yeah it looks like it won't open in Japan until April 6 and it could conceivably make $50 million there. What the gently caress is going on. :psyduck:

Wheat Loaf posted:

BP's getting to the billion dollar mark, isn't it? At the very least, it's got a pretty decent chance of getting close to the $600m domestic mark (granted, I've read that the first Avengers movie had made about 90% of its domestic box office in its first three weeks, but BP looks like it'll have better legs than Avengers).

Black Panther is already beating The Avengers: BP has made $451m domestic on day 15 and The Avengers had only made $417m by that stage. That gap is getting wider every day and I doubt it'll lose any ground so it'll definitely be the biggest superhero/comicbook film of all time.

I'm thinking that it might also beat Jurassic World and Titanic in the long run which would make it the #3 film of any genre of all time.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It might still, those box office projections can be hilariously wrong sometimes.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Wrinkle in Time has exactly the look of a sprawling fantasy flop. It looks completely awful.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I legitimately don't know whether Infinity War is going to make more than Black Panther, which is awesome. I was honestly expecting Black Panther to flop because people are racist; the fact that I was wrong has caused me to gain a lot of faith in humanity. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh drat I didn't even realise. Yeah it looks like it won't open in Japan until April 6 and it could conceivably make $50 million there. What the gently caress is going on. :psyduck:

It's kind of cool that a movie that everybody thought would be rubbish and in any event would be utterly crushed by Star Wars is within reach of making a billion dollars, which would be more than 10 times what it cost to make.

Even so, I feel like Sony will still keep chasing the Spider-Man Shared Cinematic Universe dragon rather than sitting down, working out what made Jumanji 2 bigger than any Spider-Man movie and their second most successful movie ever after Skyfall and trying to do it again.

quote:

Black Panther is already beating The Avengers: BP has made $451m domestic on day 15 and The Avengers had only made $417m by that stage. That gap is getting wider every day and I doubt it'll lose any ground so it'll definitely be the biggest superhero/comicbook film of all time.

I read recently that Avengers had made about 90% of its domestic total when it got to the stage BP is at now, but BP really does look like it'll have better legs than Avengers. Are there a lot of places BP hasn't opened yet?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

One thing I liked about Avengers 3 trailer is it featured several Black Panther cast members who weren't even introduced yet very prominently in the marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if they added more scenes with some of them now, especially since there is a major sequence taking place in Wakanda.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrinkle in Time totally had me at "Mindy Kaling as an adorable space wizard" but I'm not sure I'm a representative sample.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read recently that Avengers had made about 90% of its domestic total when it got to the stage BP is at now,

Avengers made 50% of its domestic total by day 9, 66% by day 15, 75% by day 19 and 90% by day 35. Black Panther is only up to day 15.
(Justice League made 90% of its domestic box office by day 22.)

Wheat Loaf posted:

but BP really does look like it'll have better legs than Avengers. Are there a lot of places BP hasn't opened yet?

Only one more market to go: it opens in China on the 9th.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

21 Muns posted:

I legitimately don't know whether Infinity War is going to make more than Black Panther, which is awesome. I was honestly expecting Black Panther to flop because people are racist; the fact that I was wrong has caused me to gain a lot of faith in humanity. :)

don't worry america is still wildly racist, it just shows in the voting booth and not in the escapist hollywood action movies

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Did the original Blade movie do well when it came out? I've never bought the idea that American movie audiences won't go and see a black superhero movie, just that Hollywood was for some reason gunshy about them and never makes them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

will smith was the lead in two different superhero films, one of which came out only 2 years ago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Did the original Blade movie do well when it came out? I've never bought the idea that American movie audiences won't go and see a black superhero movie, just that Hollywood was for some reason gunshy about them and never makes them.

Blade was only the 29th biggest film of 1998 (coming right between Lost in Space and Star Trek: Insurrection) so it didn't exactly set the world on fire but it was definitely successful given how small its budget had been. Also when you consider that the only previous live action Marvel film to be released to cinemas was Howard the Duck back in '86 and they'd had the total gently caress up of the unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four film in '94 then under that context it was a pretty big step forward for the Marvel brand. It was followed a few years later by X-Men and then Spider-Man which completely overshadowed it but for a while there it was the most successful Marvel film ever made.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Wrinkle in Time is directed by Ava DuVernay, I’ll see it just because of that. I think it looks fine as a story, but I’ll see anything she directs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wrinkle in Time gives me the John Carter vibe that it's going to seem horrifically cliche because it originated the cliches.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

Wrinkle in Time is directed by Ava DuVernay, I’ll see it just because of that. I think it looks fine as a story, but I’ll see anything she directs.

Fun fact: it is the first $100 million budget movie ever to be directed by a black woman.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It always struck me as a movie that did wonders as a VHS rental and DVD purchase.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm going to see A Wrinkle In Time because the casting is absolutely wild. I never thought I would see Zach Galifianakis on screen with Oprah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TetsuoTW posted:

Yo I don't know what part of Asia you live in but there are for sure parts that are way better about homosexually than you seem to think.

Specifically I mean middle East

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

It always struck me as a movie that did wonders as a VHS rental and DVD purchase.

The DVD did set the standard for special features at the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It made $70M on a $17M budget. It was basically equivalent to a Blunmhouse horror film. Respectable box office combining with low budget and low expectations made it worthwhile investment. Then the sequel went and burned that bridge with a doubled budget and only $82M box office.

BP is releasing in Japan this weekend. They're only expecting $25-30M for the run. Which is still better than the best performing Marvel film but the Japanese market is such a different beast than the American and predominantly black movies don't do very well in Japan for sadly apparent reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

BP is releasing in Japan this weekend.

Has anyone informed Michael B. Jordan? :ohdear: