Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Friend posted:

My yard becomes a lake anytime it rains for more than an hour, and it seems like my options are limited to a french drain and a dry well, though the effectiveness of this is apparently up for debate (according to one guy who wrote an article offering zero alternatives).
That is a lot of water... You'd need a massive cistern--your dry well would fill in minutes. Can you not take the water out to the street and let the storm drains handle the run off? Trenching and drains to the street wouldn't be too bad. The other option is to bring a few dump trucks of dirt and raise your back yard so instead of it being a concave, it is convex--but between the cost of the dirt, the equipment to pack and level, and the reseeding/sod--you are looking at 3x to 4x the cost of the drains. Plus you'll probably end up killing/having to remove your tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

HycoCam posted:

That is a lot of water... You'd need a massive cistern--your dry well would fill in minutes. Can you not take the water out to the street and let the storm drains handle the run off? Trenching and drains to the street wouldn't be too bad. The other option is to bring a few dump trucks of dirt and raise your back yard so instead of it being a concave, it is convex--but between the cost of the dirt, the equipment to pack and level, and the reseeding/sod--you are looking at 3x to 4x the cost of the drains. Plus you'll probably end up killing/having to remove your tree.

You should definitely talk to your neighbours and check out their situations.
As suggested, just trying to get it to drain out of your garden and into the street would likely be easiest and cheapest.
Does your house not have any mains drainage that you could redirect it into? Where do the gutters on your house go to? (Are they helping to make this worse?)

I used to have problems with my yard flooding and it even came into the house a couple of times. I added a big run of surface drain channel which was then plumbed into my house drain where my guttering goes.
I then also found that I could just build a large concrete ridge along the highest edge of my property and redirect a lot of water further down the road. This required coordination with some of my neighbours who then had to put in place similar measures!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Just as a note, DO NOT plumb your yard drainage into your sanitary sewer. That's just asking for raw sewage overflows, both in your house, and downstream.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can you just like fill in your yard so all the water flows to your neighbors instead?

My kid's school did a huge project to replace the dirt on the field to improve drainage. Bigger, better collection pipes helped, but a new layering of sand makes it work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

peanut posted:

Can you just like fill in your yard so all the water flows to your neighbors instead?

You can absolutely get sued doing that; our neighbors flooded our basement a decade ago with a similar stunt and we successfully sued them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Then there's only one solution left: start a "raw water" business and take money away from rich hippies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, you're sitting on liquid gold my friend!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Unfortunately the worst area for flooding (the darker blue) is also the furthest from where it would have to go, but I suppose I could dig some drains that run to the side of the house with the driveway and then have a stone trench that runs along the driveway to the street (where I would install my raw water bottling pump). I'm pretty sure I'll be fighting elevation (though not majorly; this is Dallas, not Denver,), and I'm not sure if I could make it not look out of place with the house. It isn't exactly a neighborhood full of elegant stone driveway edging.

Or I could go hogwild and have the drains run to the other side and line our front garden with the drainage rocks/bricks and just have fuckin' rocks everywhere. The garden has had problems with water too, but nothing serious. (above picture was before we moved in, below is after we redid the landscaping)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol goonspeed

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Friend posted:

Or I could go hogwild and have the drains run to the other side and line our front garden with the drainage rocks/bricks and just have fuckin' rocks everywhere. The garden has had problems with water too, but nothing serious. (above picture was before we moved in, below is after we redid the landscaping)

Does your roof have guttering? where does that run to?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Tomarse posted:

Does your roof have guttering? where does that run to?

Nah, we got a couple estimates but haven't gotten around to getting gutters yet.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
whatever you do please don't forget about us when you are swimming in raw water buck$$$$

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Does your road have storm drains or is it just paved with curbs?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Btw I would get a pro landscaper kind of company to fix it. Someone who makes baseball fields and understands different types of dirt. Digging by hand... never ends...

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

HycoCam posted:

Does your road have storm drains or is it just paved with curbs?

Just curbs! It's a real shitshow.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Friend posted:

Nah, we got a couple estimates but haven't gotten around to getting gutters yet.

You do realise therefore that much of the flood in your garden is generated from runoff from your roof (and your neighbours' if they also lack guttering).

If you do the maths it always impresses me just how many litres/gallons of water you can collect from a typical roof.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That will maximize efficiency of the raw water collection system !!!!! You could even put flavor cubes to cure on the roof until the rain comes.

vvv I agree and it's good that we could identify the root of the water problem before you started digging everything up.

peanut fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 2, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No drains or gutters? Where the gently caress do you live?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I would guess Texas or the Southwest.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

West of Dallas, TX, North of the dump, South of hell. I live in a cul de sac, there's drainage at the end of the street but that's like four houses down.

I'm sure that the gutters would help, but they're ultimately still putting water in my backyard (even if done tactically) and my neighbors still won't have them. Maybe I'll just dig a pool and let nature fill it. Swimming in raw water is true luxury

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My gutters go straight into the ground and connect to some kind of mystery pipe. We get plenty of rain year-round and typhoons in summer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Friend posted:

I'm sure that the gutters would help, but they're ultimately still putting water in my backyard (even if done tactically) and my neighbors still won't have them.

They're supposed to connect to your main drain and thence to the sewer.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Friend posted:

West of Dallas, TX, North of the dump, South of hell. I live in a cul de sac, there's drainage at the end of the street but that's like four houses down.

I'm sure that the gutters would help, but they're ultimately still putting water in my backyard (even if done tactically) and my neighbors still won't have them. Maybe I'll just dig a pool and let nature fill it. Swimming in raw water is true luxury

A dry pond isn't the worst idea.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
You need to lay drainage pipes on both sides of the house, install gutters, and then tie your downspouts into the drainage at a minimum. I'd also look into grading the yard towards drainage. I actually like the look and utility of the drainage rocks, we've also been slowly xeriscaping similarly.

None of this is honestly that difficult to do. At least the water isn't pooling up against your house!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Where the gently caress do y'all live? I've never seen gutters that do something other than shoot water away from the foundation

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Friend posted:

Where the gently caress do y'all live? I've never seen gutters that do something other than shoot water away from the foundation

The UK. Our guttering feeds into our soil stacks and thence to the sewer. We get a lot of rain.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Friend posted:

It's super-common to tie downspouts into underground drainage. It doesn't even necessarily have to drain to the sewer -- our downspouts tie into the schedule 40 PVC around the foundation that eventually empties about twenty feet behind the house. The picture you posted is a terrible (though common) setup, because it saturates the ground right near the house. Put an extension on that thing, at least, people!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hubis posted:

A dry pond isn't the worst idea.

Zika party!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

peanut posted:

Zika party!

Meh, throw a mosquito dunk in every month or two during the rainy season.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Friend posted:

Hi North Texas friend. I figured you were in North Texas because of the picture. Our front yard does this too and we are at the bottom of a bowl. I keep having to unclog the catch basin because we were not ready for this kind of nonstop rain.

We have no drainage solutions other than to the lake and a French drain would be prohibitively expensive and not work for our soil. We also have no curbs, just our yard level with the street and no storm drains, and the city hadn’t done much in a long time. I’d be interested to hear about it when you find a solution.

Anyway, at least we had some sun yesterday.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
So maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but I haven't seen any other relevant thread.

I'm looking to buy a house for super cheap just across the border from a warzone and capitalise on immigrants in tumultuous times. In other words: Turkey.

Does anyone have any experience in real estate in Turkey, let alone foreign property investment period? Small things that would have made the process smoother/simpler.

I'm very serious about doing this in the next two years, and I'm hoping to go into this knowing enough to not get my peepee slapped and give up.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Reacon posted:

So maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but I haven't seen any other relevant thread.

I'm looking to buy a house for super cheap just across the border from a warzone and capitalise on immigrants in tumultuous times. In other words: Turkey.

Does anyone have any experience in real estate in Turkey, let alone foreign property investment period? Small things that would have made the process smoother/simpler.

I'm very serious about doing this in the next two years, and I'm hoping to go into this knowing enough to not get my peepee slapped and give up.

Do you speak Turkish?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Reacon posted:

That's nice of you.

Reacon posted:

Is there perhaps an (opportunistic absentee) landlord thread? This one is mostly about DIY.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Reacon posted:

You seem like a real nice human being who's well prepared for this endeavor. Your real estate research on dead gay comedy forum somethingawful.com is sure going to make this a breeze.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is probably something to ask directly to residents of Turkey. You'll need to prepare for the animosity between Turkish and Kurdish culture. Might I even suggest visiting first to make local contacts?

Wild guess, but I expect Kurdish diaspora will be like: wtf I busted my balls to gtfo there and you're planning to buy a guesthouse?!?!

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

oh lord my mother-in-law lent me these curtains because we've just had mismatching lap blankets hanging on the curtain rod for a year but

Achievement unlocked!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Achievement unlocked!

Nice! That sort of blood-red has become one of my favourites over the years.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice! That sort of blood-red has become one of my favourites over the years.

Especially on white IMO

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hubis posted:

Especially on white IMO

It can be overdone; it became something of a trend as an accent colour against white walls, which is a shame because if you repeat something enough it starts to feel tacky even when it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What would be the best sub to ask how many Syrian refugees it would take to pedal power a bitcoin mining rig?