Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I tried to wrangle the ghost leviathan down in the lost river by grappling onto him and punching his poo poo, but he was too fast for my grapple and I spent most of my time flopping around at tether length, which is far longer than my modest punch tantrum radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drake_263 posted:

I found one with a seaglide in it. Thought it was a cute idea, but I found it near Keen's pod. Something like 300 meters down.

Oh, and I put an ion cell in mine, too, because gently caress that one selfentitled nerd bitching about them. By the time you can make them you're pretty much done with the game anyhow.

Yeah I wish Ion Cells/Batteries came a little bit earlier. Maybe in the Lost River base instead of the lava one.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
So I went looking for games like this since I really enjoyed the survive > explore > tech up > survive gameplay loop, but even trying out some gimmicks resulted in my attempt at a 2nd run... being boring, tbh. Seems like survival games are 80% early access stuff that I'm wary of; any suggestions? The underwater theme was extremely cool, but I'm not stuck on it; just SP survival games with possibly a bit of story driven content, but not necessary.

I could give ARK another try, but I got bored pretty quickly; game seems really focused on multiplayer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

single-player ark is doable since you can crank up things like xp gain and whatnot but there's not an end-goal to work towards nor enough cool stuff to do for it to have the staying power it needs. i had a good amount of fun playing on a smaller private server though.

astroneer and stationeer are two early access survival games that i think have a fuckin shitload of promise so give them a whirl if you're ok with early access. i have a lot of faith that astroneer will not disappoint, the devs seem to really know what what their vision is and they are doing virtually everything right so far; stationeer is too early to call but it is so fuckin rad in concept and i hope they do it right.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I wish Ion Cells/Batteries came a little bit earlier. Maybe in the Lost River base instead of the lava one.

The actual models have a little radiation trifoil on the side. I have a suspicion that they were originally meant to be nuclear power cells, but were replaced with ion cells for plot purposes.

It'd actually be an interesting balance choice if they were nuclear cells and not rechargeable ion cells. High power capacity, but once it's dry it's done. Plus uraninite is accessible early enough for the choice to matter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm kind of disappointed by how the story is delivered. Sometimes it gives a beacon of where to go, other times it's just "we must go deeper" and I'm supposed to just guess where the next thing might be. Without already kind of knowing what I need to do, I would have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. So far I have done the sunbeam thing, saw the three degassi bases, explored the precursor base in the underground river. I'm assuming that I'm supposed to go deeper and find something in the lava area. But have I missed anything?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ellipson posted:

So I went looking for games like this since I really enjoyed the survive > explore > tech up > survive gameplay loop, but even trying out some gimmicks resulted in my attempt at a 2nd run... being boring, tbh. Seems like survival games are 80% early access stuff that I'm wary of; any suggestions? The underwater theme was extremely cool, but I'm not stuck on it; just SP survival games with possibly a bit of story driven content, but not necessary.

I could give ARK another try, but I got bored pretty quickly; game seems really focused on multiplayer.

Gameplay is completely different and it trades about 50% of what you'd usually see in a survival game for horror instead, but look into darkwood--it's a fantastic game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I'm kind of disappointed by how the story is delivered. Sometimes it gives a beacon of where to go, other times it's just "we must go deeper" and I'm supposed to just guess where the next thing might be. Without already kind of knowing what I need to do, I would have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. So far I have done the sunbeam thing, saw the three degassi bases, explored the precursor base in the underground river. I'm assuming that I'm supposed to go deeper and find something in the lava area. But have I missed anything?
There seems to be a tendency for people to drive right past the Lava castle on their way to the obvious giant hole just past it leading to the final plot location. Added on to the fact you can't fit your cyclops into it, making it the only mandatory plot location in the game the Cyclops can't park right next to in there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did, and hit a dead end since I hadn't gone to the right place first

I still need to go back and finish that but everything about that whole area was such a terrible experience next to the rest of the game, which was quite good, that I really haven't had much motivation

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I started to build a base top north east where there is meant to be an entrance to LR. Build my base and started my stripper pole tot he sky. Came back after taking son swimming and now there is a reaper swimming on top of that base ><.

I assume that LC isnt over 900m right? so cyclop and pranw suit with lvl 1 depth (0 for the prawn) will be doable. What do i need to take so i dont have to backtrack?

And as for time capsules. One recently gave me 2 ion batteries, 1 nickle and 1 kyannite. Batteries super useful, the materials, not so much as you need more than 1.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did, and hit a dead end since I hadn't gone to the right place first

I still need to go back and finish that but everything about that whole area was such a terrible experience next to the rest of the game, which was quite good, that I really haven't had much motivation
If only there was some kind of signal to clue you in on it better so you didn't drive right past it like the last hundred people to do so. Oh right, there WAS. Then they removed it.

Yet people act surprised that vague text instructions to go deeper, result in people doing just that when faced with the giant obvious hole that leads deeper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asciana posted:

Nah, I died to that one the first time I went in the Aurora because I didnt know what to do. Lesson learned quickly.

I mean, your instinct is generally to mash buttons and flail and afaik that's the optimal solution.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My instinct was to pull out my knife and cut it off, which works shockingly.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Meskhenet posted:

I assume that LC isnt over 900m right? so cyclop and pranw suit with lvl 1 depth (0 for the prawn) will be doable. What do i need to take so i dont have to backtrack?
You assume wrong. The lost river is pretty much all less than 900m below sea level, but everything after that is 900-1700 so you need the first depth upgrade for the prawn and that lets you get far enough to get kyanite so you can build the second depth upgrade. If you're going in the cyclops then just take everything you'll need to build all the depth upgrades, if going only in the prawn like I did you'll need to backtrack at least once to build the second upgrade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You assume wrong. The lost river is pretty much all less than 900m below sea level, but everything after that is 900-1700 so you need the first depth upgrade for the prawn and that lets you get far enough to get kyanite so you can build the second depth upgrade. If you're going in the cyclops then just take everything you'll need to build all the depth upgrades, if going only in the prawn like I did you'll need to backtrack at least once to build the second upgrade.

Lost river areas technically deeper than 900m note in particular is the infamous "Giant tree room". Which stuck out to me because I was scrounging up nickle in that room so I could upgrade my Prawn and Cyclops to go deeper than 900m, after bringing my Seamoth that took some damage because I drove it lower than the midpoint of the room.

That said? You can definitely deal with all the relevant spots of the Lost river without being able to go deeper than 900m at least. I always make a sweep with my seamoth to visit (or drive past and ignore :v:) plot points and sprinkle beacons to ease the return trip for my Cyclops+Prawn combo.

But it would be rough going for a prawn that hasn't had it's nickle tax met which needs to actually touch the floor sometime between grapples, where the lost river dips below 900. But Most of it (It's been a while since I ever brought a prawn without upgrades) isn't below 900m I think? I'm pretty sure the major plot points never quite dip below that even if you are on the floor.

EDIT: Today I learned, as I cranked up the game intending to drive off to check depths. That your cyclops will set itself on fire even if you switch back to normal speed.

"Oh I'm overheating? Thank's for the warning *Boop* ahead standard it is... ... ... ... well looks like everything is fine like the last dozen times I've lowered the speed after the warning-" FIRE DETECTED.

But yes, seems 99% of the lost river doesn't dip past 880 at most, just the big tree room itself waiting as a rude surprise for anyone not keeping an eye on the depth meter and jumping over the 870m edge down a straight vertical drop to 910m as the tallest surface, and it just gets deeper from there. Whoops, sorry. Just SLIGHTLY too deep on landing.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 3, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Prawn suit 1 depth module is fabricated in the attachment added to a moonpool.....? or can it be made in the cyclops?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Prawn suit 1 depth module is fabricated in the attachment added to a moonpool.....? or can it be made in the cyclops?
The very first one has to be made in the moonpool.

Upgrades to the existing depth module can be done in the modification station of your Cyclops, but you're poo poo out of luck if you didn't have one in the first place. Short of making a U turn to go back to the nearest base, or building one right there. Same deal for later modifications like the Prawn thermal reactor or Prawn Jump jet buff.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what happens with the game engine if you spread your base out too far? As in an insane amount of corridors leading in every direction, can the engine handle that?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ok, so bring mats to make moonpool and upgrade maker, plus bioreactor to power it.

And i just had my first "Cyclops is no longer solid" moment. Was going over the resource list, working out what else i needed when i fell into the water, only the water also wasnt there, so i fell a fair bit further.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ellipson posted:

If you like Subnautica you will love Empyrion: Galactic Survival. Its a little more generic than Subnautica, but you can crash land on several different types of planets (some without air, life, covered in water like Sunnautica, etc). The gameplay is quite similar to Subnautica, you start with nothing but an escape pod of supplies and an emergency replicator. You explore around gathering resources until you get the blueprints to make vehicles that let you move faster and gather larger amounts of resources. But Empyrion goes a step further. In Subnautica the Cyclopes is the biggest vehicles you can build, in Empyrion that would be considered a starter capital ship. You can build much bigger. That's the other big difference between Subnautica and Empyrion, once you finish the space ship in Empyrion the game doesn't end. You fly to other planets and keep playing there :D

Of course the graphics/atmosphere is not as well refined, but you can't have it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkmj3DuDgw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 3, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
+1 for Empyrion. It's a great survival game - it's got a surprising amoutn of content for an early-access game, and it gets updated decently often.

I used to love Space Engineers and I still love building and designing ships in it, but Empyrion has a lot more, well, game. There's a whole solar system's worth of planets, with multiple starter planets with various challenges. Each planet has different biomes and resources available to it, and different enemies (to a degree, they could really do with a little more variety when it comes to alien critters). More importantly, each planet also has so much stuff to explore - the planet maps aren't very big (though the next upcoming patch is making them bigger) but there's always a crashed ship to explore and loot, alien bases to raid, a local village you can trade for food in.. some planets have things like patrolling capital ships and drone bases that release attack drones to try and wreck your bases. It's a lot of fun, especially with a group of friends.

Edit: The top negative Steam reviews on the game are also people with 1500+ hours in Empyrion, bitching about how the devs aren't implementing 'vitally realistic' features like aerodynamics, thruster alignment, etc etc etc. Basically for a survival game, it's casual enough to not need to become a whole new job for you and the grogs are hating it.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 3, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

+1 for Empyrion. It's a great survival game - it's got a surprising amoutn of content for an early-access game, and it gets updated decently often.

I used to love Space Engineers and I still love building and designing ships in it, but Empyrion has a lot more, well, game. There's a whole solar system's worth of planets, with multiple starter planets with various challenges. Each planet has different biomes and resources available to it, and different enemies (to a degree, they could really do with a little more variety when it comes to alien critters). More importantly, each planet also has so much stuff to explore - the planet maps aren't very big (though the next upcoming patch is making them bigger) but there's always a crashed ship to explore and loot, alien bases to raid, a local village you can trade for food in.. some planets have things like patrolling capital ships and drone bases that release attack drones to try and wreck your bases. It's a lot of fun, especially with a group of friends.

Empyrion also has a fairly decent system for creating custom scenarios. In theory you could recreate Subnautica in the Empyrion engine, with all of the hand placed pod wrecks and PDA dialogs and stuff. There are only a half dozen decent ones available right now, but I expect more as the game gains more features.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion also has a fairly decent system for creating custom scenarios. In theory you could recreate Subnautica in the Empyrion engine, with all of the hand placed pod wrecks and PDA dialogs and stuff. There are only a half dozen decent ones available right now, but I expect more as the game gains more features.

Yeah, and the current engine for water doesn't really model fluid dynamics at all. There's no way to 'pump dry' an underwater grid - hell, if you mine away at the seashore, you end up with a lake-shaped chunk of water floating midair.

Still, it's definitely a game worth looking at!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, and the current engine for water doesn't really model fluid dynamics at all. There's no way to 'pump dry' an underwater grid - hell, if you mine away at the seashore, you end up with a lake-shaped chunk of water floating midair.

Well yeah the water physics are kind of an after thought in Empyrion at the moment. But that doesn't mean you can't create an underwater base. There is no pumping system, but if you use the mining drill to fill your base with dirt then take the dirt away it gets rid of the internal water. Also small vehicles work under water, so you can make subs (they will just be flying subs :v:)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drake_263 posted:

This sounds like a question from one of those "serious answers to silly questions" books: would it be theoretically possible to have a planet where the atmospheric pressure was higher than the surface tension of a liquid or whatever, so if you removed the container around that liquid, it would hold its shape?

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
How do you guys get to the deep grand reef degassi base? Specifically, I mean where do you enter from the surface. The only was I found was to go to lifepod 2 and then all the way through the lost river. That can't possibly be the intended route, right? But there doesn't seem to be an entrance anywhere near the waypoint beacon they give you and I couldn't find any other way in. Thanks.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

double nine posted:

what happens with the game engine if you spread your base out too far? As in an insane amount of corridors leading in every direction, can the engine handle that?

It takes longer and longer to finish each section of the base, but it handles my 1 km of glass corridors snaking from the eastern shallows, to the entrance and down into the mushroom caves. I think it's close to 1 km in total, but it sort of goes back and forth a bit. Made in my 8 year old daughters creative world, she doesn't know about it yet, she will see it in about an hour :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DraegonX posted:

How do you guys get to the deep grand reef degassi base? Specifically, I mean where do you enter from the surface. The only was I found was to go to lifepod 2 and then all the way through the lost river. That can't possibly be the intended route, right? But there doesn't seem to be an entrance anywhere near the waypoint beacon they give you and I couldn't find any other way in. Thanks.

The cavern it's in opens out into the main grand reef, the deep reef and the grand reef are directly connected.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

DraegonX posted:

If you go a few hundred meters south of the habitat there are a bunch of holes in the roof of the cave that lead into open ocean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

ok, so bring mats to make moonpool and upgrade maker, plus bioreactor to power it.

And i just had my first "Cyclops is no longer solid" moment. Was going over the resource list, working out what else i needed when i fell into the water, only the water also wasnt there, so i fell a fair bit further.

This keeps happening near my tunnel base. There's a bunch of water current there. I think if the cyclops gets moved around too much, the game gets confused and warps you out. I either warp under the cyclops or on top. It's kind of annoying when I'm stuck on the sea floor waiting for the game to realize I'm in water.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

double nine posted:

It'll break in various unfunny ways, especially power.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hadn't heard of empyrion before now so thanks for recommending it, goons~

i still heartily recommend astroneer and stationeer as well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo, they need to add the beacon back for the lava castle. I only knew what it was because I've seen people talk about it over the past could years on the subnautica reddit. The only reason why I saw the entrance was because one bit had a little bit of different lighting. As I swam closer to it, the little block pieces finally spawned in and I could tell what it was.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

After finishing Subnautica a few weeks back and reflecting on the experience I must say the grinding and overly boring crafting left a rather negative image.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first third of the game. The constant dangers, the outstanding sound design accomplishing the seemingly dangerous ventures further and further down without having all of the equipment just yet.

Then at a point the game became a bit of a chore, building a base just at the brink of the abyss. The story was interesting and kept me going but was a bit contradicted at all time due to the chore crafting system which breaks the immersion all the time. But the atmosphere was outstanding, so I kept on going.

After exploring the underseas, building two bases (1 of which I abandond rather quickly) I went down into the lava area with the MK1 Prawn Suit twice. Marked the spot I called "The Heart" where I it went further down as my MK1 suit could take. Got some rare minreals there, enough to build all I needed. Went back a third time and kind of moved on to finish the story.
The first dive down was amazing. I ran out of battery and had to go back, then I had to leave my Suit right behind the tree and had to swim back through that green forest area to my boat. The second time the Dragon attacked me since I went to close for drilling, though its attacks where laughable and not really well done, so the when I survived his 3rd attempt with barely any damage taken I didn't take it seriously anymore as an enemy. More like a moving fire or so to avoid, but sure not as a devastating creature that it was. It was the complete opposite to the experience when first going into unknown Reaper territory with the Seamoth.

After that I basically just focused on finishing the story since the game was done at that point for me. It was for me to explore the unexplored, to go deeper and deeper, to gain the equipment to go there... only to be a bit disappointed.

In general the lava area was rather lacking to me and defied any physical realism the game had build up to that point. It was the default fantasy RPG climax at the end you're in hell and fight the devil/satan/demon/whatever (well at least the story arc there was not that, that was good. I liked it) - I'd wished for something else entirely. Or at least for a tiny bit more realistic world down there. It was a mess of all kind of things imo.

Regardless, the ending was quite nice and I enjoyed it as game. But when I think of it today, as a game, the chores of just gathering the same poo poo over and over again springs to mind BEFORE the amazing atmosphere, the great displays of depths and the first Reaper encounters when you're still a vulnerable puppy. It might just be me, since I always disliked this kind of mechanic in any game, since it is just a overly visible system/mechanic that defies any kind of immersion, and Subnautica still sucked me in despite of that. Because other things are great. Like that creepy Octupus would not let go of me exploring the abandoned base. I will probably not reinstall it at any time and don't care much for the DLC at this point.

Im still happy I played through it. In it's way it is still unique.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As far as resource gathering games go, Subnautica is top notch. I can understand disliking it if that's not your thing, but compared to other types of resource gathering games Subnautica is fantastic. There are no lengthy "mining ores" sequences where you wait for the ore bar to be filled or whatever, you just smash a rock and pick it up. Also all of the crafting recipes take 2-3 exotic materials max, no "gather 50 rubies" or whatever its always one or two. Also, you can find a huge deposits that will set you up for the rest of the game if you look in the right areas.

Though I have not reached the part where you build a space ship, maybe it takes 10,000 titanium or something? :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like how there's more to find than just resources and things to fight when you go exploring. Going out to scavenge blueprints from wrecks was one of my favourite parts. The game takes a bit of a downturn in the Lost River and beyond because there's nothing new to find except nickel, kyanite, and a bit of alien lore (plus better energy cells at a time when there's no real reason to make them other than the rocket). I wish there was a more involved endgame with alien blueprints to discover, as well as some new resources to support construction of alien items.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

As far as resource gathering games go, Subnautica is top notch. I can understand disliking it if that's not your thing, but compared to other types of resource gathering games Subnautica is fantastic. There are no lengthy "mining ores" sequences where you wait for the ore bar to be filled or whatever, you just smash a rock and pick it up. Also all of the crafting recipes take 2-3 exotic materials max, no "gather 50 rubies" or whatever its always one or two. Also, you can find a huge deposits that will set you up for the rest of the game if you look in the right areas.

Though I have not reached the part where you build a space ship, maybe it takes 10,000 titanium or something? :shrug:

A locker can hold 48 Titanium, and took 2 titanium to make.

An ingot is worth 10 titanium. Let's ignore the lithium in plasteel for now.

Let's see...

Vehicle mod station; 1
Seamoth; 1
Prawn: 2
Cyclops: 3 (Which you will have to make, to fabricate a certain item).
A single moonpool; 1
Seamoth depth modules: 3
Prawn depth modules: 2
Cyclops depth modules: 2
Rocket stuff: 6

21 ingots just in essentials alone along the course of the game. 52 and a half scrap metal worth of titanium (And Titanium drill nodes are pretty sad for how much you get out of them even at double drill speeds). A bit over 4 lockers worth of titanium goes by real fast when you're actually building, well, anything. And you'll need plenty more where that came from for everything else you do in the game.

It adds up if you are not going out of your way to shove scrap metal into your pants every chance you get. More so as items don't stack.

To be sure, OVERALL Subnautica is "Less grindy" on materials than the average game in it's genre. But it's not hard to see why people would feel it's a drag if they were short on materials at any given time, rather than already stockpiled. Or they have a huge stockpile of everything but one material type, etc.

The worst part of course, is seeing people respond to desires for basics like stacking inventory with "Ugh, but the game is TOO EASY! The Cyclops should need 200 titanium worth of ingots, and at LEAST three advanced wiring kits!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 4, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

A locker can hold 48 Titanium, and took 2 titanium to make.

An ingot is worth 10 titanium. Let's ignore the lithium in plasteel for now.

Let's see...

Vehicle mod station; 1
Seamoth; 1
Prawn: 2
Cyclops: 3 (Which you will have to make, to fabricate a certain item).
A single moonpool; 1
Seamoth depth modules: 3
Prawn depth modules: 2
Cyclops depth modules: 2
Rocket stuff: 6

21 ingots just in essentials alone along the course of the game. 52 and a half scrap metal worth of titanium. A bit over 4 lockers worth of titanium goes by real fast when you're actually building, well, anything. And you'll need plenty more where that came from for everything else you do in the game.

It adds up if you are not going out of your way to shove scrap metal into your pants every chance you get. More so as items don't stack.

To be sure, OVERALL Subnautica is "Less grindy" on materials than the average game in it's genre. But it's not hard to see why people would feel it's a drag if they were short on materials at any given time, rather than already stockpiled.

Yeah but you find 3-4 scrap wreckage at every crash site you encounter. I am overflowing with Titanium, I have never felt like I needed to go out and get more. I just pick up every piece I come across when i'm out exploring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think subnautica has a good balance. It's not so easy that you can just click a few rocks and you're building everything, but it's enough that you will usually need to go resource hunting every time you start building. In the early game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Gets a bit tricky when you're building advance bases in areas you don't know well/are a big baby afraid to brave Warper and Reaper territory so I had to go a bunch of ferrying materials back and forth in the Cyclops. But it all pays off in the end.

I loosely recall that for optimal results, you basically want to build thermal generators right on the vents if possible, though it can be hard to get down there and survive without the armoured diving suit? (and even with)

Also, not sure where I can expect to find nuclear reactor parts. Conveniently I found one right where I planned to build a new base.