Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I dunno, the Pixel 2 camera is so good, it's magical. It blew my Note 8 out of the water. I'm sure the S9 camera is amazing but anyone thinking it will be noticably better than the Pixel 2 is kidding themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My nexus 5x baked itself, apparently I had one that hung on longer than most. I knew I should have avoided LG.

currently stuck with a galaxy s 4g. This screen is so tiny.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you put value in DXOMark, really the only reason why the S9 came out on top in total score was due to the zoom lens. The Pixel 2 still comes out on top in most of the base picture metrics.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The zoom lens on the Note 8 has been useful a handful of times, I definitely get the purpose of it. The camera of the Pixel 2 XL was the main reason I chose this device in the end (#2 reason was battery life, #3 was OS version).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, the Pixel 2 camera is so good, it's magical. It blew my Note 8 out of the water. I'm sure the S9 camera is amazing but anyone thinking it will be noticably better than the Pixel 2 is kidding themselves

Grab the Google camera APK and you've got the Pixel 2's magic image fuckery on the note 8.
S9 + apk ought to be the best imagery on a smartphone this year, assuming someone gets the changeable aperture working.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Khablam posted:

Grab the Google camera APK and you've got the Pixel 2's magic image fuckery on the note 8.
S9 + apk ought to be the best imagery on a smartphone this year, assuming someone gets the changeable aperture working.

That and the rootless Pixel launcher...it's basically a Pixel. Even the flight updates work. Pretty awesome and has staved off my Pixel 2 curiosity.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah the worst thing about Samsung is their insistence to create a redundant version of every goddamned Google app.

Once you freeze all that out, you got a decent device.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Except that poo poo still pops up at times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Khablam posted:

Does the stock Google camera app work on the dual lens of the Note 8? I'm guessing probably not. I could just try it I guess!

Portrait mode on the Pixel 2 also blows the Samsung Live Focus thing on the Note 8 out of the water.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does the stock Google camera app work on the dual lens of the Note 8? I'm guessing probably not. I could just try it I guess!

Nope

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I did a side by side photo comparison with a Pixel 2 and my 8 because I hear so much about the Pixel 2 camera, and honestly they come out about even. The Pixel 2 does some things better, the iPhone 8 does others better. I don’t love my 8 but the camera is drat good.

In general there is really no reason for anyone to own a point and shoot camera now because even mid-range smartphones are about as good. The standard shots I get with my iPhone are basically just as good as what I get with my DSLR. Of course, the dslr is much better for stuff like long exposure and you can zoom, use wide angle lenses, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I did a side by side photo comparison with a Pixel 2 and my 8 because I hear so much about the Pixel 2 camera, and honestly they come out about even. The Pixel 2 does some things better, the iPhone 8 does others better. I don’t love my 8 but the camera is drat good.

In general there is really no reason for anyone to own a point and shoot camera now because even mid-range smartphones are about as good. The standard shots I get with my iPhone are basically just as good as what I get with my DSLR. Of course, the dslr is much better for stuff like long exposure and you can zoom, use wide angle lenses, etc.

Depends what you're shooting, but no the Pixel 2 camera is miles ahead of my Note 8, especially when it comes to any kind of HDR, portrait mode, or difficult lighting conditions.

A DSLR is significant better if you know what you're doing, they're not even comparable. I do agree that phones have replaced point and shoots though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Depends what you're shooting, but no the Pixel 2 camera is miles ahead of my Note 8, especially when it comes to any kind of HDR, portrait mode, or difficult lighting conditions.

A DSLR is significant better if you know what you're doing, they're not even comparable. I do agree that phones have replaced point and shoots though.

I'm traumatised by your posts. You were eager for the Note 7 then it exploded, and you were "saving all your cum" for the Pixel 2 XL and it came out bluer than a still born.

Now, I'm wondering how you feel about the S9. It will be interesting to see how Project Treble impacts the roll out of Android 9.

Also, you changed your avatar without the informed consent of the forums. I don't even know who you are anymore.

I can't wait for the Pixel 3 regular, if it has the minimal bezel treatment I may well cum.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm traumatised by your posts. You were eager for the Note 7 then it exploded, and you were "saving all your cum" for the Pixel 2 XL and it came out bluer than a still born.

Wow fight me, the Pixel 2 XL is amazing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wow fight me, the Pixel 2 XL is amazing.

LOL fight me IRL. I know it is, I just wish the regular had the minimal bezel poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, you changed your avatar without the informed consent of the forums. I don't even know who you are anymore.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had avatars turned off for like 15 years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Anime is taking over the IT thread, I was the first victim

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
My entirely unscientific camera comparison between my Note 8 and a friends Pixel 2XL concluded that the cameras are 90% even. As in, the bottom 5% pictures on the Note 8 will look worse than the worst 5% from the Pixel and the top 5% from the Pixel will look better than the Note's. The other 90%, which is the pointing and shooting we typically do, are pretty even. This excludes portrait mode on the Pixel though, which really is some kind of wizardry.

For the typical user, for most intents and purposes the camera on the Note, Pixel, and iPhone are virtually equal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Desk Lamp posted:

My entirely unscientific camera comparison between my Note 8 and a friends Pixel 2XL concluded that the cameras are 90% even. As in, the bottom 5% pictures on the Note 8 will look worse than the worst 5% from the Pixel and the top 5% from the Pixel will look better than the Note's. The other 90%, which is the pointing and shooting we typically do, are pretty even. This excludes portrait mode on the Pixel though, which really is some kind of wizardry.

For the typical user, for most intents and purposes the camera on the Note, Pixel, and iPhone are virtually equal.

That's fair. I do a lot of landscape pics and the Pixel's HDR processing makes it the clear winner for me, but you're definitely correct for the average user. I am definitely not average.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Give the APK a try. For me, it closed the gap enough to remove any desire to buy the Pixel 2 (the S8 I use is technically loaned).
All the top-end cameras are really close, but in a difficult lighting condition the P2/apk dumps on the X and S8/note8.

S8:

S8 with APK:

The Google-cam keeps all the highlights under control. The anti-noise on the default app has also smoothed a lot of detail with the noise (the wood, the texture on the wall).
The default app also over-sharpens by a ton and makes weird artefacts on many things if you're prone to pixel-peep.

This all said running the APK is glitchy so only use it if you're shooting something with a lot of dynamic range, or want to use the portrait-mode magic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coming to android from iOS. Trying to read/learn about as much stuff as I can, is there a cool and good "so you've come from an iPhone" writeup somewhere?

Any site with a specific focus on PC power users and integration with PC/Android device? Thanks guys.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What do you want to do between the PC and phone? There is really not a need for that kind of thing these days.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Well my 5X is self-imploding and I'm ready to upgrade.

Anyone have any insight/opinions on The Essential Phone? I've heard some good things for it's build/pricepoint.

I'm split between the Pixel 2, the Essential, and the iPhone 8 right now.

Basically all I care about are a small form factor (they're all equal on that front) battery life (I think essentials beats Pixel 2 which beats iPhone 8) and software that doesn't poo poo itself on the regular (iPhone's best here, but not sure who does it better between the Essential and the Pixel 2).

e:whoops, thought I was in the recommend me a phone thread. Moving this over to there.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 4, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Taffer posted:

What do you want to do between the PC and phone? There is really not a need for that kind of thing these days.

Is there an easy way to transfer files through local wifi?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

AirDroid is really easy to use.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

There are lots of ways, which is the best depends on what you're trying to do. Stream music/movies? Transfer photos? Documents? But for pretty much all of these the easiest way is through ~the cloud~, whether it's google photos, google drive, plex, or others.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Taffer posted:

I took it to mean controlling the phone from the PC and vice versa. SMS integration, notification mirroring, etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I took it to mean controlling the phone from the PC and vice versa. SMS integration, notification mirroring, etc.

This but also remote desktop stuff. And yeah I want to stream video from my home network to my phone but that's probably better suited through the cloud with plex or whatever.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm gonna be switching from an iPhone 6 to a Galaxy S9. I've heard/seen horror stories about getting out of iMessage/texts getting sent to the void. How do I prevent this from happening to me? I'm guessing it's "disable iMessage ahead of time," but I know people who have done that but still had tons of trouble. Any tips?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

motherbox posted:

I'm gonna be switching from an iPhone 6 to a Galaxy S9. I've heard/seen horror stories about getting out of iMessage/texts getting sent to the void. How do I prevent this from happening to me? I'm guessing it's "disable iMessage ahead of time," but I know people who have done that but still had tons of trouble. Any tips?

Here's the flow that's worked for me and my friends, at least in terms of making absolutely certain your number is disassociated from iMessage.

1. Sign out of iMessage and Facetime on anything that has an Apple logo on it. Mac, iPad, phone. Remember to do both iMessage and Facetime, as both services remember your phone number.
2. Make sure that iMessage switch is turned off on your phone.
3. Go to Apple's iMessage deregistration page and go through the process https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

1:1 conversations other people have with your number should fall back to SMS again. If you are party to any group messages in iMessage, this is where it gets really hairy. iMessage group chats do not fall back to SMS, you just silently get left out. You'll have to start a new conversation thread, and convince everyone else to stop using the old one.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

This but also remote desktop stuff. And yeah I want to stream video from my home network to my phone but that's probably better suited through the cloud with plex or whatever.

Microsoft have a fully supported RD client on the play store.
If you want to control your phone from PC then airdroid works really well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mu Zeta posted:

A bunch of file manager apps include the option to spin up a local FTP server, the Motorola app has it for example. Point your desktop Explorer window at the listed IP and move files to your heart's content, no additional software necessary.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
March update has some key functional improvements for Pixel 2s:

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/pixel/2018-03-01

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Where are those new Motorola phones?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've got an S7 Edge and was just reading an article when the entire left side of the screen flickered, and now it's brighter than the right side of the screen. It bleeds/fades to the right and there isn't a sharp division. Is this the right place to ask WTF or is there a different thread?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

totalnewbie posted:

I've got an S7 Edge and was just reading an article when the entire left side of the screen flickered, and now it's brighter than the right side of the screen. It bleeds/fades to the right and there isn't a sharp division. Is this the right place to ask WTF or is there a different thread?

The right place to ask would be the place you bought it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Amazon a year and a half ago so :shobon:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

totalnewbie posted:

Amazon generally has good support. Worst you can do is ask what your options are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

totalnewbie posted:

Double check to see if your credit card company offers extended warranty on purchases.