Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Paladinus posted:

It's funny because H3H3 is more popular than SA now.

Maybe for like. A year or whatever? It's not like that dude's lovely youtube gossip channel is a rising star of an institution that has surpassed us or w/e, they're very different things. I wasn't around when he tried to promo his poo poo here but I'm glad people had the good sense to dunk on him and chase him off

Guy Mann posted:

Being a goon is like posting on GameFAQs or GaiaOnline or 4chan, it's something literally everyone of a nerdy persuasion who existed within a specific span of time did and then moved on and tried to forget had ever happened out of embarrassment.

Disagree. Even back then SA was considered kinda fringe, most people weren't on the computer at all and then most that did get on were just on myspace and deviantart and livejournal and poo poo. Pretty much always been a walled garden super appealing to a certain type and really offputting to most. And on the flip side of that, I know I was never sad enough to post on friggin gaia of all things you nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Honestly outside of its early years SA overall hasn't really been anywhere near as much of a hostile/gross hellhole as most folks thought, outside of things like TCC, Helldump and GBS during certain years. Most of the specialty hobby forums like Creative Convention or Traditional Games are genuinely chill and decent places to look for advice or good art/stories as far as i'm able to tell, they just don't get as much traffic overall, and they don't get exposed as awful hives of filth because nothing's wrong with them in the first place.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Being a goon is like posting on GameFAQs or GaiaOnline or 4chan, it's something literally everyone of a nerdy persuasion who existed within a specific span of time did and then moved on and tried to forget had ever happened out of embarrassment.

so what's your obsession with just brutally self-owning yourself every time you post something like this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SA rules and guy mann is a retard, we've had both of these discussions already

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao at outing yourself as someone who posts on GaiaOnline

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I never posted on any of those places either :confused:

AOL Antagonist Chrono Trigger board was where I got my start

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

optimism makes me hope GaiaOnline was like an RPG forum or something but realistically it was probably the 4Chan of its time?

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

optimism makes me hope GaiaOnline was like an RPG forum or something but realistically it was probably the 4Chan of its time?

It was a creepy-rear end anime rpg forum where you could buy accessories and poo poo for your av. Think neopets, but with anime roleplaying pedos. People would raid them all the time, cause a. they needed it and b. they would take it soooo seriously which was funny

Yeah

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://thefpl.us/episode/219

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaia was like Neopets for tweens who wanted to roleplay. I never did it but I know a girl who still does at 26, and she’s terminally boring.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Only experience I have with Gaia Online is that a friend I used to know years and years ago still uses it, I decided to see how she was doing and within 30 minutes the conversation immediately degraded into her going on an unhinged rant about "mexican trash" ruining her neighbourhood :yikes:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

Gaia was like Neopets for tweens who wanted to roleplay. I never did it but I know a girl who still does at 26, and she’s terminally boring.

It was to girls who liked anime what GameFAQs was for boys who liked video games.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember seeing some fat dude probably around his 30s playing it in my college class. He seemed like the type to play it.

Well that's my story

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Gaia was the largest forum on the internet by like two orders of magnitude for years iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

exploded mummy posted:

you're ribbing right

Bluth worked for Disney in the '60s and '70s

Yeah, and he left to do his own poo poo because their stuff declined horribly through the period he worked there and he got incredibly frustrated with them.

If you're going to tell the story in depth tell the entirety of it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, and he left to do his own poo poo because their stuff declined horribly through the period he worked there and he got incredibly frustrated with them.

If you're going to tell the story in depth tell the entirety of it.

If I've learned nothing else from this forum, it's that someone else will always fill in the blanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Gaia was the largest forum on the internet by like two orders of magnitude for years iirc.
Was it a forum for an MMO or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, it started as an anime site.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gaia Online gave the world Boxxy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FactsAreUseless posted:

It had avatars you could dress up in anime clothes. You got forum money for posting a lot. Then they introduced flash games. Then IRL cash money items.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It had avatars you could dress up in anime clothes. You got forum money for posting a lot. Then they introduced flash games. Then IRL cash money items.
*writing this all down in sa_revenue.docx*

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
galaxy brain: what if we made a something awful only habbo hotel clone

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Follow the path. We are the way. Follow the grey.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Pools closed. Due to jase.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Caganer posted:

galaxy brain: what if we made a something awful only habbo hotel clone

:geno:

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

*writing this all down in sa_revenue.docx*

More like .doc. Admit it, SA can't afford a Office '16 subscription.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yestermoment posted:

More like .doc. Admit it, SA can't afford a Office '16 subscription.

More like .odt

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More like .odt

The reason Radium left such a badly "coded" mess is because every page is html code written in an RTF file.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

.txt written on winxp notepad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Pools closed. Due to joose.

From what I've heard, this seems more likely.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Maybe for like. A year or whatever? It's not like that dude's lovely youtube gossip channel is a rising star of an institution that has surpassed us or w/e, they're very different things. I wasn't around when he tried to promo his poo poo here but I'm glad people had the good sense to dunk on him and chase him off

You don't have to like his content but I'm fairly certain he's made millions of dollars and does in fact have millions of subscribers and people who aren't Extremely Online know about it, which definitely counts as being way more popular than SA ever was.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

and china is several orders of magnitude larger than the US and it's a cyberpunk corporate hellscape which just installed a foreverruler

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Caganer posted:

and china is several orders of magnitude larger than the US and it's a cyberpunk corporate hellscape which just installed a foreverruler

and a lot of people have been to China. Glad that’s settled.

(China isn’t even one order of magnitude larger than the US.)

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Caganer posted:

In this comparison the US is not a cyberpunk corporate hellscape??

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

emoji posted:

In this comparison the US is not a cyberpunk corporate hellscape??

No, we'd have better internet if it was.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nuebot posted:

speak for yourself I get gigabit up/down plus HBO for $80 a month and I'm not even in a major city :smug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

speak for yourself I get gigabit up/down plus HBO for $80 a month and I'm not even in a major city :smug:

Which state senator do you live next to?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I have unfiltered gigabit Internet so China's Internet is definitely inferior.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

lol at spending a thousand dollars a year on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lol if you don't use a yagi shotgun to pirate internet from the starbuck several miles away