Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Having fooled around with it a lot:

The Judo squad really feels like it's missing damage. Its big gimmick is supposed to be repositioning for extra damage but that's unreliable enough and their initial control so weak that they feel really unsatisfying even with upgrades. I feel like they either need a stronger start or better upgrades to really feel satisfying to play because their gimmick is extremely cool when it works but it doesn't work so often without much to back it up. The other gimmick-heavy classes feel like they're a lot more reliable while having better-or-comparable damage.

If I had to do a quick fix that wasn't just damage upping, I'd say allowing the Judo Mech's basic ability to either allow you to throw one enemy into another to damage both or to choose where you drop the enemy for easier repositioning.
I think the Judoka probably has the most difficult learning curve. When I played them the first island felt really touch-and-go at times, but after that they snowballed hard. I think it's important to upgrade the Vice Fist to 3 damage and the Siege Mech's artillery to not damage buildings ASAP, and with these the squad becomes fairly reasonable. The real strength imo is that your gimmicks don't fade in usefulness as enemies gain more damage and health. Pushing things into instadeath is always efficient, and Pheromones damage gets ludicrous for some of the higher damage Vek.

I did a four island run and the only starting weapon I sold off was the Gravity Mech's pull cannon (exchanged for the fire artillery gun, which was super worth it). I was so far ahead of the curve that after the fourth island I blew most of my reputation on getting the '10 power from one island' achievement. I was a little worried going into the final island, but my ability to control the board was just too strong. Along the way, I had gotten the tankette with a pull and the radial shield that covers 13 tiles when upgraded. However, it felt like these upgrades were complementing the core 'push things around lul' focus, rather than replacing the gimmick with something else (see Tom Francis' Smoky Boys LP where he sells almost all of the smoke items after the first island).

e: VVVVVV So far the Rift Walkers have been the only squad where I felt totally comfortable just pumping cores into the default loadout. The others I've tried (Smoky Boys, Blitzkrieg, Zenith, Judoka) definitely felt like they could use either use extra utility or I was more comfortable adding a straightforward cannon/artillery to at least one unit. I guess Smoky Boys would probably have been fine without any new tech, but they certainly have their share of awkward situations due to the smoke stopping your own units from firing. In Justin Ma's Fantastic Arcade talk he said the design goal was for all of the starting loadouts to be viable in case you really didn't find anything appealing. I think that this is largely true, while it is still true that most squads benefit greatly from carefully chosen additions to their loadout.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's OK that you have to buy new weapons for some of the squads. If anything it seems like more of a problem to me that you can just buy nothing but cores and win with the default weapons on half of them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you can't win with a squad's default weapons then you're entirely reliant on whatever RNG you get from pods or post island purchases, which would cut into core or grid increases instead. One of the things I didn't like about FTL was how reliant on RNG you were, so I'm glad it's not quite as rough in that regard here.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
aaaaa i accidentally turned my weapon off on my Laser bot and went into a boss fight

welp that was a loving good run too

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I tend to avoid the high threat missions unless the reward is a reactor core or it's an easy objective because it has a terraformer or acid thrower or similar. That extra alpha can really make things snowball away from you.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

aaaaa i accidentally turned my weapon off on my Laser bot and went into a boss fight

welp that was a loving good run too

Yeah it sucks you cant shuffle power core usage mid game. But it would open up shuffling between speed/hp as required, which would in effect give you both

Def needs a "You have unused power cores!" warning

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dud root posted:

Yeah it sucks you cant shuffle power core usage mid game. But it would open up shuffling between speed/hp as required, which would in effect give you both

Def needs a "You have unused power cores!" warning

It does, it shows "Power available" on the map screen.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
There isn't a popup warning, but the mechs do have a 'Power Cores Available' label if appropriate. Maybe it should be larger and in flashing red, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trying to do a no-reputation shopping run with chaos mechs and oooof. Two runs in a row where I'm one turn away from victory and down to one grid power and that's what does me in.

Gonna sleep, try it again tomorrow - one tip though, you NEED to start with the fire immune mech. I don't see a way to do it on normal otherwise.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Khagan posted:

Someine recommend me a LP to watch. Assuming I've never played FTL.

ChristopherOdd's LP is good and he has a solid grasp of tactics, but fair warning the man is analysis paralysis in human form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w67PcNhoWQ

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man I got the Smoke Bomb weapon with the zappy smoke dudes and upgraded it to jump three squares and drop three smokes. It's pretty drat ridiculous, because that's a lot of smoke just being shat everywhere.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just got a 2-island normal win with the balanced random of Lightning/Cannon/Nano

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Barely eeked out a 4-island Normal with Zenith going in at 10 power and 30% def. Holy gently caress that was tense and by the skin of my teeth, I lost both Charge and Sci guy and was down a single shield on a Grid holding everything up. Those beetle bomb guys just did a number on everything and my guys got locked into Environmental damage twice thanks to the spiders. I may have had a little better chance if I didn't sacrifice my ACID tank to take care of the boss on the first wave popping it into lava-tile.

I also finally unlocked Abe and they made a night and day difference. I played em a bunch before and with him on Charge after it was much much easier.

Probably going to try out Flamers again for something different, I believe someone had a pretty big writeup on it but I can't find it. Anyone have any tips to get them up and running? My first two times were fairly disastrous and I noticeably felt the lack of direct damage to get poo poo off

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Tried out Zenith as my second squad after Rift Walkers. Failed on the first map and wondered how the hell the charge mech and gravity guy were supposed to have any utility. After getting my first win with the smokey squad I gave em another shot and rolled on through to my first 4 island win. This game is really neat! Normally I'm garbage at tactical games but having everything be telegraphed helps a whole lot with me breaking down my options and "solving" each turn.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
420 smokebois all day

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/970130617001283584

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Xaris posted:

Probably going to try out Flamers again for something different, I believe someone had a pretty big writeup on it but I can't find it. Anyone have any tips to get them up and running? My first two times were fairly disastrous and I noticeably felt the lack of direct damage to get poo poo off

They’re the team Judoka pretends to be. Just shuffle things around and remember that if a Vek has 1hp left and is on Fire you can ignore it.

Best upgrade is probably teleport range, oe flamethrower range. Extra damage isn’t essential before island three or so.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can I just farm mountains for FTL crew members by repeatedly abandoning timelines and just staying near the start of the game ignoring Vek? Or do I need to actually be so-and-so far into the game before they start showing up?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Ain't no gettin offa this train we're on.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Having now played a bunch more:

I like the game, but I don't like it as much as the games that inspired it or FTL.

My main complaint is it's a series of skirmishes instead of a cohesive campaign. You don't need to manage anything really other than your total HP between maps. I'd have preferred if you could swap out mechs between missions or something, and then given them slightly larger loadouts (like 2 weapons and a passive or something) so you need to think a bit more about how you spend your resources. Maybe overarching events instead of just random weather on some maps.

I'd also have preferred it a bit larger scale, like 4 mechs instead of just 3. Add some more vek in and make maps a row or two larger and a turn or two longer.

I get the devs were going for a different experience than I prefer, and that's fine, but it's why I'm not as much of a fan as I might have been. It feels more like Fire Emblem heroes than Fire Emblem; Kinda a phone game version of something else. It's a bit of a shame after the long wait. Oh well!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya its fun but getting to 1 turn from winning on my first run is telling

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I just did 3 challenge achievements in 1 run. The one that requires you to never swap pilots/weapons, the one that requires you to never power up weapons, and the one that requires you to destroy all time pods.

It was surprisingly a lot easier than I expected.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Argue posted:

Can I just farm mountains for FTL crew members by repeatedly abandoning timelines and just staying near the start of the game ignoring Vek? Or do I need to actually be so-and-so far into the game before they start showing up?

I was playing triple Smoke Mortar team and trying this on Industrial Island, along with 2x Reverse Time pilot so I could keep pounding all the mountains then rewind to try different ones. I even played island to completion and went onto Frozen Island and kept doing it, no cigar. But this was on Easy so I thought maybe it doesnt spawn on Easy. I tried the same thing on Hard a few times and no luck either. So I guess maybe it's a Normal/Hard only and at 3-4 island? idk

So it's probably more complex or I got super unlucky. But I did learn 3x Smoke Mortar is a lot of fun and surprisingly effective.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

requires you to destroy all time pods.

Monstrous

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

For those looking for something similar, check out Hoplite for android. Shares a lot with ITB when it comes to its focus on positioning and movement instead of just doing damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't bear to kill time pods until i have all the normal pilots. i already have all the good ones, but still.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

Back at ya: A flying mech with the cryo weapon can fire it over lava, and the frozen iceburg will fall into the lava, instantly melt, and free your mech.

Cool as gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The 'start battle with a shield' lady who's name I'm forgetting had dialogue going 'I wonder if another me is in there' or something along those lines when a pod landed, so I gotta ask, can you find duplicate pilots inside the pods? :pcgaming:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Silica (double attack) is perfect for the leap mech. Comparing to other self damaging attack, you have better control and bigger AoE while still doing very respectable damage. I did my latest run with a custom team of Judo mech, leap mech, and nano mech. I swapped the weapon between the Judo mech and leap mech for the armor. Judo mech starts with no power so a trained Silica with free reactor core is recommended to get the run going faster. You can probably swap the nano mech for something else but the acid is really versatile throughout the entire game.

Now you have a judo mech that jumps around stomping on bugs while taking no self damage. It takes a few cores to get going but easily doable by the end of the first island. Taking out boss in 1 turn? How about take out the boss and everything else on the board in one turn. There were like 4 missions in a row where I was killing everything as fast as they spawned.

I got pretty lucky with the shop and got wind torrent which is super versatile as a backup CC and movement option for Silica. Then I got Archimedes from the second perfect island reward AND there was a spartan shield in the shop, so I promptly got rid of the vice fist. I also picked up a shield for the nano mech which is helpful when the pushback from the leap would otherwise damage a building.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mystic Mongol posted:

Back at ya: A flying mech with the cryo weapon can fire it over lava, and the frozen iceburg will fall into the lava, instantly melt, and free your mech.

Yeah, that is some straight up optimized vekticide poo poo right there :getin:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
One thing people might not realise about the judo team is that unlike say, the rift walker punch, the judo throws, *then* does damage. This means you inflict the effect of the target tile. For example, throwing into a forest sets the enemy on fire, throwing into acid does double damage, throwing into cracked ice drowns them, throwing into desert creates smoke and so on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I love that Zenith Guard's Prime is literally just Metal Gear Rex

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I am struggling with the Flamelads, they are awesome but it just isn't clicking with me. :(

The Blitzkrieg guys are awesome though, the grapple tank feels a bit weak, but the other two are insanely good.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

CHAOS SQUAD wait a minute.

:thunk:

i'm bad at strategy games so i've been playing on easy to unlock dudes, no bully

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wish this game provided a replay button for the skirmish. Both to see when I screwed up as well as bask in the glory of whatever brilliant moves I (think I) made

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
should I sell pilots or put them in my other mechs? I don't quite understand the best play yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

should I sell pilots or put them in my other mechs? I don't quite understand the best play yet

You absolutely want a piloted mecha if possible and to have a time traveller in a mecha over a generic pilot. If you have an overabundance of pilots you can sell them for bonus rep but keep in mind that it's good to have a spare in case you get unlucky or have to sacrifice a pilot to save an objective.

Most time travelers come close to leveling already so it's almost always worth it to replace your generic pilots with one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I sold Isaac because two resets are for the weak :smug:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

First ever smoke boy run ended in a 4 island perfect victory. On normal. Steamrolled nearly everything - a few things got pretty loving dicy, in island 1 and the final map. Got all the Smoke cheevs on the way, plus some extra's. Pushbot with abe behind the wheel, an unstable cannon plus booster jets was ace. Finding that teleporter weapon as a perfect reward early on was divine as well. Slap that thing on the jet and dunk everything left and right into water, lava etc. Having Lily use that Jet wasn't bad other.

Guess I'll go try the flamers next!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Argue posted:

I sold Isaac because two resets are for the weak :smug:

Someone in the past few pages pointed out Isaac is really useful for cracking mountains looking for pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This game, so good when it's good, so infuriating when poo poo goes wrong. I've had good runs simply dismantled by a single map. I have to play this in starts and stops.

The first island really is the hardest as you pretty much are stuck with your default mechs which ain't always great.

Nephzinho posted:

Someone in the past few pages pointed out Isaac is really useful for cracking mountains looking for pods.

I still have the Zoltan to find. What's the best squad for cracking mountains? I mean, obviously not Steel Joduko