Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FirstAidKite posted:

What are all of the D&D board games in the Castle Ravenloft board game format? I know there are multiple in that series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt), but I don't know if there is a name besides "d&d board game" to look those up by. I think Temple of Elemental Evil is another one, I don't know if there are any others besides the ones I mentioned though and I'm not entirely sure how I'd find out other than sifting through a bunch of search results.

It's the Adventure System, yeah. I like how it works as a really slimmed down version of 4e. Picking the fighter is actually interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Thank you!

I only have Castle Ravenloft so I still need to pick up the rest of them at some point. Hopefully I'll see them on sale some time for a decent discount :)

e: oh, apparently there is something called Dungeon Command that can be played on its own or used to expand the Castle Ravenloft style stuff. Any of you have any experience with Dungeon Command? Is it worth nabbing on its own or as an expansion to the D&D Board Game System stuff? I might be misunderstanding but it looks like the dungeon command things mostly add new monsters to fight or new allies and it mentions something about coming up with rules yourself for how the allies work so I'm not sure how compatible they actually are...

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2018

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can I get some opinions on scythe with or without the expansions? Things you like and didn’t like about it. My groups focus is on stuff like chaos in the old world and kemet and eclipse, so trying to get a feel for what flavor of dudes on a map it is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Banana Man posted:

Can I get some opinions on scythe with or without the expansions? Things you like and didn’t like about it. My groups focus is on stuff like chaos in the old world and kemet and eclipse, so trying to get a feel for what flavor of dudes on a map it is.

It's much less combat oriented than those. It's all about economic development with a threat of combat (usually only a handful of fights per game). It's a solid euro/dudes on a map hybrid with plenty of replayability thanks to the factions and action mats being mixable. The expansion that adds two factions (Invaders) is solid and worth it for even more variability, the Wind Gambit is generally well received as well but I haven't played it personally. For me, the absolute best part of Scythe is how smooth and fast it plays once you know the game. We routinely knock out 4-5 player games in an hour.

It's also getting a crazy modular expansion this year that adds an 8 game campaign mode among other things. It will not be compatible with Wind Gambit though.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Thank you!

I only have Castle Ravenloft so I still need to pick up the rest of them at some point. Hopefully I'll see them on sale some time for a decent discount :)

e: oh, apparently there is something called Dungeon Command that can be played on its own or used to expand the Castle Ravenloft style stuff. Any of you have any experience with Dungeon Command? Is it worth nabbing on its own or as an expansion to the D&D Board Game System stuff? I might be misunderstanding but it looks like the dungeon command things mostly add new monsters to fight or new allies and it mentions something about coming up with rules yourself for how the allies work so I'm not sure how compatible they actually are...

Dungeon Command was an entirely separate competitive skirmish game that failed to get its feet under it. The cross compatibility with the Adventure System is purely an afterthought intended for completionists who get both games. It's not really worth getting the Dungeon Command stuff just for the Adventure System games unless you can get them super cheap.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Scythe is cool because people sit down expecting a trashy war game with mechs but then those mechs are just bridges to let you gather wood more efficiently

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I am still kicking myself for not buying Invaders before everyone here ran out of stock :negative:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Invaders is good for variety, but absolutely not needed. My game group has played Kemet, Inis, and Assault of the Giants, but Scythe was the first dudes on a map game that everyone immediately wanted to play for another session (NB: I personally prefer Kemet). It's a point salad Euro that forces you to find a balance--you'll never win if you focus on just 2 or 3 scoring paths, but you also won't win if you get bogged down trying to advance every scoring path. Strategy primarily involves optimizing your top + bottom action efficiency, but you also can't just sit back and play multiplayer solitaire, particularly at higher player counts.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't have a regular group to play with, and it can be like pulling teeth to schedule things even with the friends who are interested in gaming, so I'm pretty excited about the forthcoming steam versions of Scythe and Terraforming Mars this year, especially since at least Scythe is eventually getting all the expansions. I talked a couple days ago about how I think a lot of people end up with a bunch of games they rarely play because board gaming doesn't really have demos or the ability to get a Steam refund like you can with video games, but getting app versions of a couple of the hot (relatively) new games to try at my leisure (and which actually can be refunded on Steam if I bounce off them immediately) is pretty exciting to me. Obviously if I do end up thinking they're amazing, I can always decide to shell out the funds to get physical copies and work on twisting friends' arms until we play them.

In physical board gaming news, I bought The Pursuit of Happiness because it seemed like an approachable theme that would be easy to convince people to try, and I already have a couple friends begging to play after saying it's a modern board game version of Game of Life, so I'm looking forward to trying that soon.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 3, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Scythe comes with a very solid and fun solitaire system if you don't want to wait around for the video game version.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

Scythe comes with a very solid and fun solitaire system if you don't want to wait around for the video game version.

It's tempting, but I'm not all that familiar with WP yet, which is another reason I'm looking forward to trying the app since I don't want to go all in and find out it's not really my thing. Also, honestly if I'm going to solo something I should work on powering through my copy of Gloomhaven I've been shamefully neglecting, because the odds of me getting a regular group for that are virtually nil, since the usual issues are only magnified by the fact that there's no way I'm lugging that game around town.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 3, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How's space alert with 2?

Also I got my AFfO mini-expansion today :smugdog:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Banana Man posted:

It has a mixed reception in my group.

To start with its loving lovely and the first play through tends to leave people really wowed. It certainly impressed me. There seem to be lots of interlocking systems, strategic options, etc.

After the initial good impression though, a lot of my friends have kind of soured on the game. For one, each player pairs an economic board with a faction board to set up their side and some of those combinations can be amazing or devastating. At first it seems cool that things can change up, but once you're familiar with how the game plays out, some times you just look down and realize you're toast before the game has begun while your neighbor is going to be chaining awesome actions from the get-go.

For another, the game has amazingly little player interaction. There's a huge map sitting out there with little robots that dance around each other and little zones to drop your people off in, but it's too big for there to be any real competition for resources. And honestly, that little faction board / economy board you set up at your section of the table is what you're really playing. It determines the efficiency of your actions and the paths you are rewarded for and woe to those who deviate from what the board demands. Other players are a mild hindrance you can almost entirely ignore until the last few turns of the game. It is no exaggeration to say there is more player interaction in the first round of Terra Mystica than there is in the first 90% of Scythe. I actually have a hard time thinking of a less interactive game I regularly play. In both games that I won recently I didn't once stop to think about what other players were doing. It just didn't matter. My economy board synched with my start and I could do poo poo faster than anyone else. So I did, and I won.

Scythe isn't a bad game necessarily. There is some fun to be had trying to figure out how to grow most efficiently, and you certainly can throw away a good start or overcome initial obstacles. I just find it lacking in tension and engagement between players. It gets described as a game of economic competition but it's really more of a race from the games I've played.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 3, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CommonShore posted:

How's space alert with 2?
I am Space Alert Super Fan Number One, and even I can't recommend it for less than four players (five is better).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's a fan made 2-player ship variant for Space Alert on BGG. I've never actually played it myself, but I think it's been discussed favorably in a past Board Gaming Thread

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I finally purchased star wars rebellion + expansion. Should I use the expansion ships and combat deck from the get go?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HardKase posted:

I finally purchased star wars rebellion + expansion. Should I use the expansion ships and combat deck from the get go?

Play base game first so you can appreciate how much better the expansion content is (but also so you can understand the core of the game before the expansion throws some wrenches in).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It has a mixed reception in my group.

To start with its loving lovely and the first play through tends to leave people really wowed. It certainly impressed me. There seem to be lots of interlocking systems, strategic options, etc.

After the initial good impression though, a lot of my friends have kind of soured on the game. For one, each player pairs an economic board with a faction board to set up their side and some of those combinations can be amazing or devastating. At first it seems cool that things can change up, but once you're familiar with how the game plays out, some times you just look down and realize you're toast before the game has begun while your neighbor is going to be chaining awesome actions from the get-go.

For another, the game has amazingly little player interaction. There's a huge map sitting out there with little robots that dance around each other and little zones to drop your people off in, but it's too big for there to be any real competition for resources. And honestly, that little faction board / economy board you set up at your section of the table is what you're really playing. It determines the efficiency of your actions and the paths you are rewarded for and woe to those who deviate from what the board demands. Other players are a mild hindrance you can almost entirely ignore until the last few turns of the game. It is no exaggeration to say there is more player interaction in the first round of Terra Mystica than there is in the first 90% of Scythe. I actually have a hard time thinking of a less interactive game I regularly play. In both games that I won recently I didn't once stop to think about what other players were doing. It just didn't matter. My economy board synched with my start and I could do poo poo faster than anyone else. So I did, and I won.

Scythe isn't a bad game necessarily. There is some fun to be had trying to figure out how to grow most efficiently, and you certainly can throw away a good start or overcome initial obstacles. I just find it lacking in tension and engagement between players. It gets described as a game of economic competition but it's really more of a race from the games I've played.

Yeah I agree - it's really a rondel esque action selection game with a map and some competition for resources, and you can expand your rondel by getting a factory card. It also has somewhat opaque scoring so it may not be obvious you are getting crushed.

The really nice thing it does is not have an upkeep phase with the turn order which makes the game speed along.

However there is another fast playing game that is basically a tarted up rondel that you can expand through the game that has competition for resources on a map that doesn't have an upkeep phase - Concordia.

Anyway I like Scythe more than Manatee - I'm being a bit snarky. It actually has lots of great attributes: it looks really good so it's easy to get to the table, it plays fast, it's pretty straight forward to learn, it scales well to various player counts and is overall nicely designed.

However it's not a competitor for Kemet, or even Inis. It's not really a dudes on a map game - it's an economic engine building game. It's one of the best presented entries in that genre, but there is lots in that genre.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

By the way, how important is the Tuscany expansion for Viticulture: EE?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FirstAidKite posted:

Thank you!

DC is a nice party Vs party game in which you're fighting over treasures in a dungeon. Entirely card driven. Cool game, wish they'd done more with it.

It comes with a heap of miniatures, and (I think) cards that allow you to use those figures in the other DnD systems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azran posted:

On the one hand the game is perfectly playable without it, on the other hand the new board is really good and the other modules aren't bad either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

outlier posted:

DC is a nice party Vs party game in which you're fighting over treasures in a dungeon. Entirely card driven. Cool game, wish they'd done more with it.

It comes with a heap of miniatures, and (I think) cards that allow you to use those figures in the other DnD systems.

Well it looks neat but I just went looking for it and all I can find are scalper prices ranging from $100 to $200 and gently caress that lol, it looks neat but not that neat. RIP me, owned by scalpers.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Azran posted:

Far less so than it was for the non EE version. More of an "if you like it and play it lots then get the expansion"

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Thank you!

I've got two boxes of Dungeon Command and it's just kind of a forgettable game. I should either sell it or just chuck the figures into the box with Legend of Drizzt. If you can find it cheap enough, and you're that into Castle Ravenloft, I suppose it could be worth it?

To my recollection it includes Ally cards with their own AI (similar to the enemies except friendly obviously) and a treasure card (or was it an event?) that lets you draw and place a random ally, but I'm kinda hazy on it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I was looking for reviews of Legendary Encounters - Alien (how is it? Looks interesting and gets good reviews ) and ran across .... this thing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy/description

:yikes: :wtc:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

L Legendary Encounters: Alien is a lot of fun, except hitting a facehugger first turn is game ruining bad luck.

Legendary Encounters: Predator is, imho, strictly better. They polished the rough spots of Alien very well. It also includes rules to combine them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Here's some stuff about Ponzi Scheme, which I've been wanting to play for ages and finally got to.

I love the way the game uses the interest timers, which are a simple and effective way to manage all the fiddly worky parts of managing the payback periods. And the game does another thing I like, which is that there is a clear and constant ratcheting up of pressure. It's a built in timer guaranteeing that the game state will collapse under its own weight. And the thing you want most during the game (money) isn't the thing that counts for real points. So players need to dial into the game state and make a gameplay gearshift at some point away from cash and towards industry tiles. Whoever does that better, wins. Do it too early or too late and could be disastrous.

Contrary to some expectations, the game isn't about negotiating, and it isn't about optimizing rates of return, either. It's about cash flow, as long as someone else goes bankrupt first, you're good. (That's why you'd ever want to accept $78 now but have to pay back $115 in three turns. Because maybe you might NEED that $78 right now or you bust, and expect the game will be over before another three turns are up.)

It's also a fun learning game the first time because there are several "lightbulb moments" where you suddenly realize something was a dumb move or bullet dodged, usually leading to an immediate rematch :mrgw:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

And they're all listed at the bottom of the site "which philosophers appeared in this comic"

The candyland one is the best one, anyway. https://existentialcomics.com/comic/58

That comic owns. That might be the best board game one, but the best one overall is this one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Had an amazing game of Twilight Imperium. Everyone was playing their roles well, great agendas, lots of politicking, and I barely squeaked out a victory with the right combination of secret objectives I've been holding onto since the beginning.

Then played two games of Azul. It's deceptively mean and I think I enjoy it more as a light abstract puzzle game than Sagrada. We only played the basic board but I think the blank side will be much more fulfilling.

Closed the night with A Feast for Odin. My opinion on the game is still "it's good but the jobs are the weakest aspect." One player got a killer combination of jobs and right at the end got a "copy emigration space" which was the margin of victory for him.

A good Saturday amidst 50mph winds.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

al-azad posted:

Had an amazing game of Twilight Imperium.

Then played two games of Azul.

Closed the night with A Feast for Odin.

Did... Did you play this all back to back on a single day?

Also an AffO houserule: make a market row for the jobs. Them if someone has a killer combo it's cause people let them get it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

nimby posted:

Did... Did you play this all back to back on a single day?

Also an AffO houserule: make a market row for the jobs. Them if someone has a killer combo it's cause people let them get it.

You can steal the far superior pyramid market row from valley of the kings. I really think every market row game would be improved by stealing this.

Basically when you take from the bottom of a 3/2/1 pyramid, you move the cards above down and repopulate at the top, so if you take the middle from the bottom row you move the one of the two above it down, move the one from the top into the vacated spot, and add a new one at the top.

Adda some neat tactics at no cost. If you want to make it thematic call it 'fishing' and have the cards well up from the deep.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How do you decide which of the two drop down?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do You decide which of the two drop down.?

Your decision.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You can steal the far superior pyramid market row from valley of the kings. I really think every market row game would be improved by stealing this.

I think I might.

I know I will, thanks!

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I was looking for reviews of Legendary Encounters - Alien (how is it? Looks interesting and gets good reviews ) and ran across .... this thing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy/description

"hey does anyone have any reviews about the game about aliens raping humans? while i was looking for them i found a game about aliens having consensual relations with humans which, yuck, barfo"

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
It being a response to this atrocity:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124833/tentacle-bento

The circle of alien sex is thus closed.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do you decide which of the two drop down?

Yeah,you decide which is why it's better. You get some tactics because if you know that one of the level two pieces is a combo component for the other guy, you won't crumble that down - you'll force him to crumble it down and then block him.

But you can hate draft in any market row you cry. Yeah, the big advantage here is as cards come out at the top it's a minimum of two actions before they show up at the bottom, so you can plan ahead.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Azran posted:

The base game is perfectly fine, but I can't think of a single reason I wouldn't play with the Extended Board, Special Workers, or Field cards from Tuscany, even with players totally new to the game. Unless you really can't afford the price, I suggest just getting it and not looking back.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There are a few games that are otherwise well designed apart from having a big deck of stuff and you draw one and hope. Apart from the Rosenbergs, that's rulebook in 3 Kingdoms Redux. Like, having an action that can either deliver a killer engine into your lap OR give you a dead card seems like, roll to move level bad.
e: I don't think I've posted my trip report for the Fallout Game: some people spent like, 5 turns sitting on a robotics factory, trying to draw a "you find the special robot!" card that had been shuffled into the random encounter deck. Frequently they hit an encounter that instead added more cards and shuffled the deck so they had to start at the beginning. I don't know what would happen if someone not in the right factory had found it, I guess it would have gone back to bottom of the deck. They never found it in the end, as I trecked over to the Master's hideout and rolled well enough to kill a super-mutant, which allowed one of the explorers to cash in a victory condition and win the game. Great game, A+.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Doctor Zero posted:

We're eagerly awaiting our copy of consentacle. Being printed now, I think!