Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's funny, because frogs have no ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Well I bought both MM&O books that are available on Google books, "One More Year" and "Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam" and absolutely powered through that poo poo. I had like $18 on my Google account from surveys, so for 2 books it was like $12 out of pocket. So worth it. It's really nice to get consecutive stories, rather than just reading random comics posted online. Even on vice.com they're in reverse chronological order, so it's a pain in the rear end to read them the way they were meant to be.

I love them so much but it is so bleak and depressing. Especially Werewolf Jones and his kids, his kids are hosed up but I feel like they are the most tragic characters in the story, everyone else put themselves into the world of drugs and squalor, Diesel and Jaxson just had lovely luck, and are probably going to grow up to be horrible people, if they survive to adulthood. A neat reveal at the end of One More Year about WWJ, (I dont know that this really needs spoiler tags, but gently caress it, it can't hurt) hes a werewolf that turns into a wolf when he's hosed up, and took his human form while being sober, presumably for the first time in the run of the comic, while he was being held in jail.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

om nom nom posted:

Well I bought both MM&O books that are available on Google books, "One More Year" and "Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam" and absolutely powered through that poo poo. I had like $18 on my Google account from surveys, so for 2 books it was like $12 out of pocket. So worth it. It's really nice to get consecutive stories, rather than just reading random comics posted online. Even on vice.com they're in reverse chronological order, so it's a pain in the rear end to read them the way they were meant to be.

I love them so much but it is so bleak and depressing. Especially Werewolf Jones and his kids, his kids are hosed up but I feel like they are the most tragic characters in the story, everyone else put themselves into the world of drugs and squalor, Diesel and Jaxson just had lovely luck, and are probably going to grow up to be horrible people, if they survive to adulthood. A neat reveal at the end of One More Year about WWJ, (I dont know that this really needs spoiler tags, but gently caress it, it can't hurt) hes a werewolf that turns into a wolf when he's hosed up, and took his human form while being sober, presumably for the first time in the run of the comic, while he was being held in jail.

That spoiler suggests a bleak things about his kids, too.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

That spoiler suggests a bleak things about his kids, too.

The first (I think) time you meet the kids, WWJ's response to Owl being pissed that they're at the house is to give them bong rips with the goal of making them "green out".

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
I thought they were just reverse werewolves who turned human on the full moon. it's definitely more bleak if they're only werewolves when they're high/drunk though. My favorite werewolf jones comic was the one where he gets really into Stephen Universe and it's associated fandom, then has a emotional breakdown culminating in a suicide attempt. Also the one where he punches that guy in the dick and you can see his face head on, and the one where he injects orange juice into his eye. Werewolf jones is the best.

A Spherical Sponge has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Mar 2, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

A Spherical Sponge posted:

reverse werewolves

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

om nom nom posted:

Just so you know, Megahex is also on there, it precedes the two you just read.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also of note, the end of Megahex has a conclusion that Simon has long since ignored but if finally addressing in his most recent run of comics and his next planned book. Owl is gone and isn't coming back

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just so you know, Megahex is also on there, it precedes the two you just read.

Oh nice, it is. It didn't pop up in a "Megg, Mogg, and Owl" search, but when I searched "Megahex" specifically it did.

Edit:

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I thought they were just reverse werewolves who turned human on the full moon. it's definitely more bleak if they're only werewolves when they're high/drunk though. My favorite werewolf jones comic was the one where he gets really into Stephen Universe and it's associated fandom, then has a emotional breakdown culminating in a suicide attempt. Also the one where he punches that guy in the dick and you can see his face head on, and the one where he injects orange juice into his eye. Werewolf jones is the best.

They didn't go into detail about it, but it definitely seems like the logical conclusion. Here's the comic in question, I'll use spoiler tags again. Basic plot rundown leading up to this point: Megg, Mogg, Owl and WWJ are getting hosed up in public. WWJ is clearly losing it, talking about getting his phone lines tapped and cylons being after him, also eating cigarettes. Cops come, WWJ and Megg get mouthy and get arrested. Owl bails out Megg and not WWJ, citing the crazy poo poo he was saying, saying that wherever he is he's better off than he would be on the streets, but obviously also because Owl thinks WWJ is a real piece of poo poo. Also the fact that Owl is just as self centered as the rest, if not more so, and wants to bang Megg and bailing out WWJ is of no benefit to him.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Mar 3, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I need to share this, because it's from the official Transformers comic and people online are defending this as a good storyline and I think my mind is breaking. I just want Optimus Prime and Megatron to have fights, I never wanted... this:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sunswipe posted:

I need to share this, because it's from the official Transformers comic and people online are defending this as a good storyline and I think my mind is breaking. I just want Optimus Prime and Megatron to have fights, I never wanted... this:

:stonklol:

I.. am extremely happy I never felt a need to keep up with that franchise since my childhood.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Sunswipe posted:

FINALLY a conclusion to Optimus Prime's Pregnancy Journal! That guy stopped updating when it was really getting good!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You know a comic is going to be good when it's using one of the most mocked ideas from fanfiction. I'm looking forward to IDW's upcoming Star Trek comic, which is 27 issues of Kirk and Spock loving.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The thing is that's not a bad idea for a storyline involving sentient machines, them trying to copy organic life to improve flexibility etc, but it's not a Transformers storyline. It would have fit more in System Shock or SOMA. I mean you could get some interesting pathos from a child of two worlds who belongs to neither and cannot fit in anywhere as a result, or examine some interesting ways his physiology differs from natural humans due to being born of proteins assembled in an artificial womb and not a genetic code. Hell, maybe other characters can start to resent the father for this experiment putting him out of action due to an unwillingness to put the child in danger, or given the turning-into-vehicle thing they do have some of the other characters mock him by insinuating that he has a pilot. This plot has legs.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Mar 3, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing is that's not a bad idea for a storyline involving sentient machines, them trying to copy organic life to improve flexibility etc, but it's not a Transformers storyline. It would have fit more in System Shock or SOMA. I mean you could get some interesting pathos from a child of two worlds who belongs to neither and cannot fit in anywhere as a result, or examine some interesting ways his physiology differs from natural humans due to being born of proteins assembled in an artificial womb and not a genetic code. Hell, maybe other characters can start to resent the father for this experiment putting him out of action due to an unwillingness to put the child in danger, or given the turning-into-vehicle thing they do have some of the other characters mock him by insinuating that he has a pilot. This plot has legs.

Really hosed up legs.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Transformers: Animated sort of did that and I would have loved to have seen it explored more in depth had they not canceled it.

But there was no pregnant Cybertronian involved soooo...

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvnqU-1uDUU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

dee eight posted:

That was in an old National Lampoon. They also a ran a short lived caveman comic called Shad or Shab that was pretty funny.

e: Shab was by Kliban, haven't found a copy yet.

New Yorker.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And you can buy it on a phone case for just $40. What a steal!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Speaking of MM&O, I decided to pick up Megahex, One More Year, and Amsterdam at the Fantagraphics booth at ECCC today. Turns out the guy next to me was actually Simon Hanselmann. He wasn't there as a guest or anything, just happened to be there in front of the booth. He kindly signed all three books, and gave me a copy of Performance for free. And said 'Cheerio' when I left. Didn't realize he was an Aussie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Hell, I'd tap it.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Pyroclastic posted:

Didn't realize he was an Aussie.

Tazmania, I think.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I read a Transformers comic once and all I remember about it is that in a few panels some transformer dudes were running and panting from the exehertion and all I could think was "why the hell would a robot breathe hard, they don't have lungs right?"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I read a Transformers comic once and all I remember about it is that in a few panels some transformer dudes were running and panting from the exehertion and all I could think was "why the hell would a robot breathe hard, they don't have lungs right?"

Cars need air to run and those are just cars when you get down to it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was there ever a storyline where the Decepticons try to change their name to improve PR or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was there ever a storyline where the Decepticons try to change their name to improve PR or something?

I don't know about the original reason but the more recent comics have kind of retconned the backstory. So now the reason they're called the "Decepticons" is because they're trying to tell people that the leaders of Cybertron were deceiving the public. Megatron was a political writing railing against the evils of a corrupt system (and it was totally super corrupt.) Once the war actually starts they're still the bad guys though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know about the original reason but the more recent comics have kind of retconned the backstory. So now the reason they're called the "Decepticons" is because they're trying to tell people that the leaders of Cybertron were deceiving the public. Megatron was a political writing railing against the evils of a corrupt system (and it was totally super corrupt.) Once the war actually starts they're still the bad guys though.

Oh yeah, I know generally about the retconning. I guess the new meaning sorta makes sense.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wait was Megatron a journalist? Like he sat at a typewriter with a stained white shirt little glasses and a loose tie chain smoking into the night while writing critiques of the administration?

Is there a Transformers The Post comic somewhere?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, he was a miner and then a slave/gladiator who wrote revolutionary political discourse on the side.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The thing is, I think it could have worked- if they made the 'child' a swarm of nanomachines. Not only would it fit as a Transformer, but also serve as some kind of transcendant Transformer form, a T-1000 kind of shapeshifter that can instantly morph into whatever form it needs. It's the kind of escalation that I think would certainly fit a comic book, not to mention the fact that if anything goes wrong with the 'child' we could easily end up with a gray goo scenario, which i think could serve the 'cons just fine.

But a humanoid girl of flesh and blood? How does THAT help? What does the TFwiki have to say about this?

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What? Decepticons aren't called that because they are 'deceptive'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpbp9GXOGU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CommissarMega posted:

The thing is, I think it could have worked- if they made the 'child' a swarm of nanomachines. Not only would it fit as a Transformer, but also serve as some kind of transcendant Transformer form, a T-1000 kind of shapeshifter that can instantly morph into whatever form it needs. It's the kind of escalation that I think would certainly fit a comic book, not to mention the fact that if anything goes wrong with the 'child' we could easily end up with a gray goo scenario, which i think could serve the 'cons just fine.

But a humanoid girl of flesh and blood? How does THAT help? What does the TFwiki have to say about this?

The TFwiki is the only good part of Transformers. And this article is the only good part of TFwiki.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

So it's kind of like if I think the government is a bunch of evildoers so I start a resistance group named "The Evildoers".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yeah it would have worked better if Megatron's followers were accused of being liars and decided to rock that moniker in defiance.
Like the Deplorables.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

So it's kind of like if I think the government is a bunch of evildoers so I start a resistance group named "The Evildoers".

And then dedicate yourself to evil. The people writing Transformers comics aren't the sharpest bulbs in the drawer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/punished_picnic/status/970404240370864129

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randpop:

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in tears thinking about smug pregnant scorponok and his face tattoo having baby. "Oh yeah, does this just blow your little mind, dweebs? And get this, I'm naming her Kale."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Push El Burrito posted:

Cars need air to run and those are just cars when you get down to it.

If you hear panting coming from your car then you probably have a stray dog embedded in your grill.