Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Phlegmish posted:

That's the kind of question where the responses are only useful if you're interested in measuring the relative strength of social desirability bias.

I doubt there are huge differences in reality, the Dutch just say whatever they like, whenever they like, without giving a gently caress what anyone else thinks. I'm not surprised at this result.

Yeah my experience at work, which has recent immigrants from all over the world, is almost no one uses soap when they think no one is watching - it's horrendous. And certain cultures just think it's a white people hang up. Even heard one guy explicitly say that about flu shots, saying his people didn't need to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Google Street View coverage

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how well it outlines wastelands in Greenland, Iceland, Scandinavia and Australia.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 3, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pakled posted:

populationdensity.jpg except the countries that white people consider scary are removed.

Before you say something about Germany, remember that it's both the homeland of Nazis and overrun with refugees and their sharia law rapegang no-go zones

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Map of countries you should consider when playing geoguessr.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
If anyone else was curious, Ghana got mapped for street view as part of a broadband infrastructure project Google is doing. You can't see it on the map, but Uganda was also part of it and the area around the capital there also has street view.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

populationdensity.jpg except the countries that white people consider scary are removed.

Before you say something about Germany, remember that it's both the homeland of Nazis and overrun with refugees and their sharia law rapegang no-go zones

Yes, Google Maps is a huge conspiracy, you cracked the code.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do not steal a Dutchman's bike.

The Belgians are the filthiest Europeans. Also they don't wash their hands.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Belgians are the filthiest Europeans. Also they don't wash their hands.

I suck at reading maps.

chairface fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 4, 2018

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Map of countries you should consider when playing geoguessr.

The spread of invasive Eucalyptus has made telling Australia from California and South Africa way harder than it should be.

E. Still easier than "random road with some conifers though." gently caress you, Boreal forests.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 4, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Duckbox posted:

The spread of invasive Eucalyptus has made telling Australia from California and South Africa way harder than it should be.

E. Still easier than "random road with some conifers though." gently caress you, Boreal forests.

I've never had too much trouble with distinguishing places in America from Australia, just travel down the road til you see a road sign or a car to work out if you're on the left or right of the road.

But Australia vs South Africa remains my curse in that, except of course for playing Russian Roulette

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I just love any map where you can see the Trans-Siberian Railway like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That street view thing makes me sad because sometimes I like to go to random parts of random countries and do street view but I never get any blue when I look at Africa :(

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pakled posted:

I'm greater germany

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dreddout posted:

I'm greater germany

You kind of look like a profile shot of the crazy gamepro review face. You even have little eyes, and a nose and chin. Also Turkey and Ukraine look hilarious on that map if you zoom it in.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

That street view thing makes me sad because sometimes I like to go to random parts of random countries and do street view but I never get any blue when I look at Africa :(

There are a bunch of other surprising blank spots too, like Panama, Costa Rica, and the interior of Iceland. Actually street view has been around so long I'm really surprised that there seem to be so few "road trip itineraries". Wouldn't this be like a fantastic excuse for the mapping crew to take roadtrip holidays on Google's dime.

I wonder if the absence of Moldova and Belarus is because of the state forbidding it, or just because no one gives a poo poo about eastern Europeans. I also wonder if the absence of much of the MENA region is because of state's "security concerns". Like in Turkey, the Syrian border area is mostly not mapped, and the Golan Heights are also a striking empty space. You'd think northern and central Morocco would be streetviewed at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverage_of_Google_Street_View gives a good timeline of additions and subtractions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The interior of Iceland is nothing but mountains and barren wastelands. There aren't many streets to view.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Reykjavik is the only place in iceland that resembles a city, and everywhere else is just two to three streets at most.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Iceland:

Roads are in red. The localities with hollow dots (like Vik on the south coast) are less than 1000. Small black dots are between 1000 and 10000 but most of them are below 5000; any town with more than 5000 inhabitants will be on Iceland's Top 10 largest cities. Reykjavik's got 120000, by far the largest, representing about a third of Iceland's total population. Kopavogur, the next largest, is 32000.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There's also the F26 route that goes north-south through the interior volcanic desert. It is a gravel road only accessible in the summer, though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kópavogur, along with Garðabær, Mosfellsbær, and Hafnarfjörður, is basically just a suburb of Reykjavík. It's basically a bunch of towns that have all grown into each other so now the borders between them are a bit vague. A bit like LA except tiny.

and the reason basically everyone lives in that corner of the country

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I've been around nearly the whole island on a whirlwind class trip before, and the only thing outside the Reykjavik metro area that even remotely approached "not podunk" was Akureyri.
Which was a medium size town at best.

HookShot posted:

You can check out Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Senegal, and Lagos in Nigeria though?

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 4, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Iceland:

Roads are in red. The localities with hollow dots (like Vik on the south coast) are less than 1000. Small black dots are between 1000 and 10000 but most of them are below 5000; any town with more than 5000 inhabitants will be on Iceland's Top 10 largest cities. Reykjavik's got 120000, by far the largest, representing about a third of Iceland's total population. Kopavogur, the next largest, is 32000.

That's only a map of most of the paved roads in Iceland, and there are even some paved ones that are missing.

This is a the official map of all of Iceland's roads: http://www.road.is/travel-info/road-conditions-and-weather/entire-iceland-road-conditions-map/

The interior of Iceland is a fairly big tourist site, especially towards Landmannalaugar, which is why I'm surprised that it's missing. Seems like it would be fun as hell to do in a google street mapping car and also useful for people who are trying to figure out what kind of car they should rent for an interior roadtrip of Iceland. (I ended up reverting to Youtube + highway name before doing an interior/track road trip a couple years ago.)

Akyureyri also feels like a real town. Vik, Egilsstadir, and Hofn not so much.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Grape posted:

You can check out Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Senegal, and Lagos in Nigeria though?

Yeah but that's really overall a pretty small portion of a huge and diverse continent.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

HookShot posted:

Yeah but that's really overall a pretty small portion of a huge and diverse continent.

Blame imperialism.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Imperialism is having Google Street View coverage in the first place.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Street View looks nothing like reality because of the crazily skewed fish-eye lensing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kópavogur, along with Garðabær, Mosfellsbær, and Hafnarfjörður, is basically just a suburb of Reykjavík. It's basically a bunch of towns that have all grown into each other so now the borders between them are a bit vague. A bit like LA except tiny.

and the reason basically everyone lives in that corner of the country

this country beat england at soccer

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bewbies posted:

this country beat england at soccer
It beat them in a war.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

For most of its items, the fast-food chain Subway does not mandate prices. Instead, it gives franchise owners recommended pricing for its sandwiches from headquarters and a "corporate regional manager." As a result, prices tend to vary from region to region.

For the footlong Italian BMT sandwich, there are 125 different prices, ranging from $5.00 to $10.75.

Source is Kevin Williams from Yale's Department of Economics

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

QuoProQuid posted:

For most of its items, the fast-food chain Subway does not mandate prices. Instead, it gives franchise owners recommended pricing for its sandwiches from headquarters and a "corporate regional manager." As a result, prices tend to vary from region to region.

For the footlong Italian BMT sandwich, there are 125 different prices, ranging from $5.00 to $10.75.

Source is Kevin Williams from Yale's Department of Economics

I like how i-94 and i-84 are a beaded necklace of subways strung across the wilderness

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pakled posted:

China doesn't let you make satellite or street imagery of their territory available outside China. There's a legally mandated formula for the distortion you is apply to any map of China you show to a user outside China.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress germany's reactionary "privacy" fears of street view. Even in the places it is available, half the buildings are blurred out. Streets/buildings are in the public view, anyone can take a picture of them.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Saladman posted:

That's only a map of most of the paved roads in Iceland, and there are even some paved ones that are missing.

Without you saying that, the map showing most of the paved roads (instead of just major roads) wouldn't even have occurred to me. Iceland is an impressively small country.

e: Though I guess, paved means major there, then.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pakled posted:

:ceylon:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It beat them in a war.

I just finished listening to the Dollop episode on Jorgen Jorgenson, accidentally British-backed King of Iceland.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress germany's reactionary "privacy" fears of street view. Even in the places it is available, half the buildings are blurred out. Streets/buildings are in the public view, anyone can take a picture of them.

Also gently caress the GDPR

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Also gently caress the GDPR

You sound really mad.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Baronjutter posted:

So Normal Germans and Arnold Germans are weirdos about privacy laws apparently. And Belarus is a literal police state.

The other Euro area exceptions all seem to be places with land disputes?
Like Moldova and Cyprus both have breakaway regions, and Kosovo literally is a breakaway region...and Bosnia's mess drat sure feels close enough.
Is that what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

There's a legally mandated formula for the distortion you is apply to any map of China you show to a user outside China.
Before distortion:

After distortion: