Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ingmar terdman posted:

Irishman-in-furs Jabba is best, because it's really funny to me that if they kept that scene, they would have been stuck with him in ROTJ

The Jabba scene is in the Marvel comics adaptation of the time and he's yet another totally different design there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’ve said it before, but I love the original Marvel Star Wars run. Like reading it, you can just imagine the artist looking at his editor and being like, “the gently caress do you mean ‘work off-model?’”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Some photos of the deleted scenes from TLJ are online.

The Finn/BB-8 scene is apparently him using the hologram to guilt Finn into stay with the Resistance. I like that, especially with R2 using the same method.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Some photos of the deleted scenes from TLJ are online.

The Finn/BB-8 scene is apparently him using the hologram to guilt Finn into stay with the Resistance. I like that, especially with R2 using the same method.

D'aw. :allears:

It's like Astromech Guilt Tactics 101.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The scene with Jabba in ANH has basically the same dialogue as the scene with Greedo so I'm not sure why it was put back in.

new Content to pique people's interest and also proof of concept for the prequels. George pretty much saw Jurassic Park, said that the tech has evolved enough, and added all that junk to Mos Eisley as a warmup. With the bonus of letting 9 year old me see the OT in theaters, which makes it all worthwhile imo.

Alamo Drafthouse did an OT marathon a couple of years ago and I went to that and it was also quite loving good, albeit long rear end hell. I walked out of there sore and drunk and after being in darkness/inside all day and going into the 7pm summer daylight my brain was mush. Always see the OT in theaters when possible

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr.Radical posted:

The special edition CGI aliens like Jabba look absolutely awful. Puppet Jabba was without a doubt better

So a lovely cgi alien shovehorned into a movie full of practical effects

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

1997 Jabba just doesn't even resemble ROTJ Jabba at all. Worse resemblance than the original TPM Yoda puppet. TPM Jabba and the 00s reup of ANH Jabba at least look like Jabba, just CGI

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It's definitely a better movie without the scene, but I still love the gag of Han stepping on Jabba's tail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Williams still believes. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The best thing about this article is the "related video" at the bottom helpfully explaining that if you want to see the Star Wars episodes in chronological order, you should begin with 1, proceed to 2, then 3, before watching 4, 5, 6,7, and finally 8.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The best thing about this article is the "related video" at the bottom helpfully explaining that if you want to see the Star Wars episodes in chronological order, you should begin with 1, proceed to 2, then 3, before watching 4, 5, 6,7, and finally 8.

:laffo:

But seriously, people who do that are insane. It completely ruins the surprise in Empire. Literally one of the greatest surprises in cinema.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

E: oops

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 3, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think watching them in release order is better, but Empire doesn’t really have a surprise to ruin these days, unless the person watching it has had literally no contact with the outside world or pop culture from the last few decades.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
like a small child perhaps

nah

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

e:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There's some thinkpiece out there that claims the ideal way to introduce new people to Star Wars is to show them ANH and ESB to preserve the father reveal, and then watch AOTC and ROTS to elaborate on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Vader and contextualize the reveal in ESB, and then close out with ROTJ. TPM is left out because a lot of it is completely superfluous to the greater narrative.

I still think that if I have a kid I'll show them in release order, but the argument above does have some credence.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Fart City posted:

There's some thinkpiece out there that claims the ideal way to introduce new people to Star Wars is to show them ANH and ESB to preserve the father reveal, and then watch AOTC and ROTS to elaborate on the relationship between Obi-Wan and Vader and contextualize the reveal in ESB, and then close out with ROTJ. TPM is left out because a lot of it is completely superfluous to the greater narrative.

I still think that if I have a kid I'll show them in release order, but the argument above does have some credence.

This is Machete Order.

I introduced my son to it this way, but kept in TPM because TPM is good.

It also makes sense because (sequel trilogy notwithstanding) it preserves the best ending while also maintaining the most accessible entry point.

e: \/ yes. 4 5 1 2 3 6

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Ah, right. Machete Order.

Where did you put TPM in? After ESB?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I'm pondering doing TPM first with my son, since he's still young enough to really like it, and that makes the idea that Luke is that Anakin kid's son build up the idea that he went on to be a great hero without spoiling ESB.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Fart City posted:

Ah, right. Machete Order.

Where did you put TPM in? After ESB?

I think the Machete Order is too extreme, but 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6 does have some advantages:

- it preserves the "I am your father" surprise
- it preserves the "the kindly Chancellor is really the evil Emperor" surprise (such as it is)
- you introduce what's basically a three-movie flashback at Luke's lowest moment, making the ending of TESB one hell of a cliffhanger
- the "prequel flashback" introduces the threat of the Emperor, which gives non-familiar viewers even more concern for Luke once we re-enter the timeline in ROTJ ("this barely trained kid is going to go up against THAT guy?")
- the "prequel flashback" also humanizes Vader more, making Luke's decision to find the good in him (and Vader's return to the light side) even more relatable (not saying that it seemed unrelatable in the first place...)
- finally, for what it's worth, Anakin's reappearance as a Force ghost at the end of ROTJ is a sweet recall to the character the viewers spent two whole movies with.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The problem with machete order is I'm pretty sure while watching 2 and 3 I'd just mostly be wondering "how are Han and Leia and Luke"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ingmar terdman posted:

The problem with machete order is I'm pretty sure while watching 2 and 3 I'd just mostly be wondering "how are Han and Leia and Luke"

This is where the “being six years old” comes in handy.

Has anyone seen an “unspoiled” reaction to Sheev/Sidious/Emperor reveal? It was obvious at the time but we’d all been inundated with decades of “Emperor Palpatine” merch. At no point does The Emperor actually get called Palpatine so I could see it working if you did 451236.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone seen an “unspoiled” reaction to Sheev/Sidious/Emperor reveal? It was obvious at the time but we’d all been inundated with decades of “Emperor Palpatine” merch. At no point does The Emperor actually get called Palpatine so I could see it working if you did 451236.

I don't think there is much of a reveal unless you are face blind, voice blind and/or a five year old.

They show enough of the two for it to be fairly obvious in episode one, and it ends with a line from Yoda asking "But which one was killed, the master, or the apprentice?" while panning directly over palpatine's face.

Have to check the credits, but I'm fairly sure that they even credited sideous.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I can never find it but there’s a pretty good blog post from some guy running through he machete order with his 6-7 year old sons. Feel like it’s been posted in these threads a few times. Also their only exposure to Star Wars had been the Clone Wars cartoon so they all thought of Anakin as this cool hero and were devastated at the Vader turn.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

I can never find it but there’s a pretty good blog post from some guy running through he machete order with his 6-7 year old sons. Feel like it’s been posted in these threads a few times. Also their only exposure to Star Wars had been the Clone Wars cartoon so they all thought of Anakin as this cool hero and were devastated at the Vader turn.

Yeah didn't he succeed in making them like al of star wars with the side effect of them crying that they may some day have to fight and kill him lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Did Mark finally change his stance on beard. He used to complain about his contractually obligated bear and the spoiler hounds were good at tracking his on-set time based on his face. He seems to wear it all the time now though.

I care mostly because literally the only thing that makes me excited for IX is Ghost Luke haunting/trolling Benjamin Solo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember when I was 13-14 I knew that Sheev "The Senate" Palpatine, Darth Sidious and the Emperor were all the same guy, but I recall right up to the release of the movie wondering whether Lucas would pull a fast one and somehow reveal that they were two different guys.

I was twice as credulous when I was half my age.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah it was so obvious that all the way into III people on theforce.net etc were debating and expecting some sort of double twist. Kinda like the holdouts who think Ben is lying about Rey's parents

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I will show 4/5/6 to my son and pretend none of the other movies ever happened.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I like how we're pretending that there's any spoilers to save from Star Wars considering its ubiquity in popular culture over the last forty years.

My kids (if that's ever even a thing) will see Star Wars the way I saw Star Wars. Probably once or twice a year, usually as a marathon on major holidays from infancy because it's fun to watch Star Wars, especially if you're an adult and having to watch over small children for extended periods of time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Pops Mgee posted:

I feel like this would make the end of RotJ very cathartic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Mecha Gojira posted:

I like how we're pretending that there's any spoilers to save from Star Wars considering its ubiquity in popular culture over the last forty years.

My kids (if that's ever even a thing) will see Star Wars the way I saw Star Wars. Probably once or twice a year, usually as a marathon on major holidays from infancy because it's fun to watch Star Wars, especially if you're an adult and having to watch over small children for extended periods of time.

My son is 6, and still thinks Kylo Ren is Darth Vader because they look so similar. So the right time is approaching.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Mecha Gojira posted:

My kid is just beginning to grasp the possibility that this "Star Wars" thing may in fact not be the tale of how some angry birds fought against some green pigs.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

they're called skywalkers

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Papercut posted:

I will show 4/5/6 to my son and pretend none of the other movies ever happened.

Your son is going to think you are incredibly pathetic for this when he finds out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Your son is going to think you are incredibly pathetic for this when he finds out.

A rite of passage for goonsons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not supposed to be a secret for the audience.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If that's the price to pay for imparting good taste on him, i will bear that burden.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I've seen some people argue for Machete Order, but omitting episode 1 entirely. Offhand I can't think of anything that you would really lose from TPM, other than maybe the kid ask about what happened to episode 1. If you have kids that are already familiar with the Clone Wars cartoons that might not be a bad idea. I don't have kids, so I don't know if it would just be too confusing to have another version of Anakin to think about (though that's just as likely dependent on the maturity of the kid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
If you show someone TPM and they hate it then you might not get them to watch three more movies or skip to the one from the seventies. If you show someone ANH and they hate it then Star Wars just isn't their thing and you can move on. How many movies you know you can force on them should be considered.

• Locked thread