Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

SirSystemError posted:

Plus things like Milliardo Peacecraft never becoming Zechs. Can also appreciate how much the original plot has an effect on things in D, compared to some games where it's shunted to the background or in others where it mainly provides another enemy faction. Like it sends the Axis drop off-the-rails, for example.

Speaking of the first space route in D, I especially like the contrast with the first units you get between that and the Earth route. If you go the former, you get all these Gundam aces and high class supporting characters. If you go the latter it's just Uso and your main character.

Plus Marbet, Shin Getter, Benkei in Getter 1 and the Mazinger Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SirSystemError posted:

Plus things like Milliardo Peacecraft never becoming Zechs. Can also appreciate how much the original plot has an effect on things in D, compared to some games where it's shunted to the background or in others where it mainly provides another enemy faction. Like it sends the Axis drop off-the-rails, for example.

Speaking of the first space route in D, I especially like the contrast with the first units you get between that and the Earth route. If you go the former, you get all these Gundam aces and high class supporting characters. If you go the latter it's just Uso and your main character.
The original plot in D does still have a few weird hiccups in it, though. The Ruina General Umbra literally debuts about a couple of stages before the end and is just there to have another boss character, as opposed to one of the first Ruina Generals you fight in OG. Plus, Rim's split personality is kind of sorta addressed, but doesn't quite get as big of a resolution (or at least as prominent) compared to 2nd OGs.

On the flipside, Aquila's role in everything is severely reduced in OG and one of Ignis' big moments in D (killing Professor Kabuto) doesn't get an equivalent moment in OG. That said, both get some of the best unit portraits in the game:

I will never stop laughing at Aquila's "critical damage" portrait, and just how silly it looks out of context.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Inferno-sama posted:

Plus Marbet, Shin Getter, Benkei in Getter 1 and the Mazinger Bros.

Was only talking about the first stage. You get them later on beyond that.

AradoBalanga posted:

The original plot in D does still have a few weird hiccups in it, though. The Ruina General Umbra literally debuts about a couple of stages before the end and is just there to have another boss character, as opposed to one of the first Ruina Generals you fight in OG. Plus, Rim's split personality is kind of sorta addressed, but doesn't quite get as big of a resolution (or at least as prominent) compared to 2nd OGs.

And how (as far as I know) Ventus isn't even around at all in Josh's route. Glacies by contrast is there on Rim's route and has unique roles not seen on Josh's.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Eighteen stages in and they're still dancing around the Dancouga Nova team. I'm quite surprised, especially since there was that one stage forever ago that seemed like it was made to bring them back.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Would you believe me if I told you that the Megaman franchise exists in only two timelines?

Basically there's the "main" timeline, comprised of Classic, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends/Dig-Outer Adventure Story in Halcyon Days (in exactly that order, ZX kind of explains how humans and reploids became indistinguishable/merged and became the people of Legends, which is why so many look kind of robotic), and there's the "Wily's robotics pitch is snubbed in favor of Dr. Light's programming skills to make the internet into Tamagotchis" timeline, comprised of Battle Network and Star Force.

I agree, and I think that you could fold Battle Network and Star Force into the regular timeline without a lot of fuss, but since the main timeline is separated by hundreds of years I think it's harder to reconcile, say, Classic MegaMan running around with X, Vent, Aile, and Volnutt, fighting against Neo Arcadia. It's an interesting thought experiment trying to puzzle it out at least :v:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

EclecticTastes posted:

Battle Network would fit perfectly together with Virtual-On! Y'know, if anyone cared about Battle Network. :smith:

It's me! I'm the one that cares about Battle Network!!!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Here we are again, and we’ve just lost both Kouichi and Moritsugu – they’re not available in our units list. The Deceive is deploying as an event unit, though, so we adjust accordingly:
Arnie/Ozma
Tsubasa/Canaria
Shinn/Klan
Liu Bei/Sun Quan
Guan Yu/Eida
Mazinkaiser/Soubi
Michel/Kenji
Alto/Fei-Yen
Mamoru/Sakura
Kazuki/Zhang Fei
Yamashita/Mike
Joe/Saya
Rennie/Luca
Tactician: Zhuge Liang

Here we go.

: Hayase! Can you hear us, Hayase?!

*Bzzzt.*

: Still nothing… we really can’t get in touch with him. My guess is the Linebarrel’s comm systems are being blocked.
: …
: Hey, Yamashita… was it really Moritsugu who did him in?
: Yeah… I made it over to their fight and saw everything…
: Moritsugu cut down the Linebarrel and left with it!

Like so!

: But why…?
: There’s only one possible answer: Mr. Moritsugu was the spy leaking JUDA’s classified data to Kiriyama.
: No way! He’d never betray us for him…!
: I understand how you feel, but we need to consider the facts… like, for instance, how he and Kiriyama have apparently been friends quite a while.
: Gah, first Ylbora and now him? The hell is up with those guys?!
: But, if anything, we know that Ms. Kizaki is doing fine, so I think we can presume that Kouichi also is.
: …!
: Hm? How do you figure he’s safe because she is?
: By rights, Machinas only have one Factor – that’s a pretty universal rule among them…
: But the Linebarrel is unique in that both Ms. Kizaki and Kouichi are its Factors.
: Oh, that’s right. Machinas and the Factors share their lives, so…
: If anything happened to Kouichi, it’d also affect Emi due to their link with the Linebarrel.
: But is it really that big of the deal that the Linebarrel has two Factors?
: As I remember, the Deceive also has two people piloting it, no?
: Sure, but that was a later modification that Mr. Maki made to the cockpit.
: Put it simply, a Machina having two folks inside is a whole different animal from it having two Factors.
: Hmm, yes, I can see why the Linebarrel is said to be special.
: But, in any case, this is still a very difficult situation we find ourselves in.
: Damian’s out looking for Kouichi, so I guess all we can do right now is wait until he calls back…
: (… Hayase…)

: Ah, the Linebarrel… Excellent work, Reiji.
: Please, it wasn’t any trouble.
: What a reliable man you are, Moritsugu.
: Now we just need to pry open the cockpit and drag the Factor out…

*Cockpit opens!*

: Haaaah! Moritsuguuu!!

*Punch!*

: Ooh.
: Are you feeling better after that, Hayase?
: Wh-Why didn’t you try to dodge it?!
: Alright, settle down, little Hayase.
: Who’re you?!
: Eiji Kiriyama, president of Kiriyama Heavy Industries.
: You’re…!
: Easy, now. Before you get any ideas of punching me, I’ve something you should see.

*Beep.*

: That’s… my house! And Risako, and Domyoji’s…!
: You can see where this is going, yes?
: Whether your dear friends and family are still alive in the next hour is entirely up to you.
: You’re scum! What the hell are you after that you’d do something like this?!
: The Japanese people now look at JUDA Corp. and see it, and the UX, as a threat to their peace. And so my company – a company that personifies JUSTICE – steps into the limelight, ready to stand up to that threat!
: We’ll answer their worries and calm them down by bringing JUDA squarely under our control – plus the UX and the alien mechs, of course.
: “Personifies “justice”? Is that a joke, you sleazebag?!
: Hmhmhm… Not at all. I am a Champion of Justice…
: And I already have enough power to back that up, see!
: Th-Those eyes are…!

Cut to the Federation Parliament, the footage of the UX attacking the Martian Development Bureau’s units is making quite the splash with the generic members. The Elshank and its forces really ARE invaders! As the Union president watches in silence, Hazard says this proves that our people are openly acting against the Federation! Does Ronin still dare say that the Elshank and its people are friendly?!
The generics are buying it, and one of them says they can’t ignore JUDA either – that company is the UX and aliens’ co-conspirator. The parliament must endorse Kiriyama’s request and have the Federation Army send troops to help subjugate JUDA!
Klaus speaks up, asking everyone to calm down: it’s far too rash to mark JUDA as hostile with no other evidence than Hazard’s footage. Shirin agrees, and adds that she suspects said footage to be a fabrication from the Martian Development Bureau. Hazard objects to her nonsense and demands she present proof.

Well, surely he’s heard that Shirin and Marina were attacked by terrorists not long ago, yes? He does and remembers that the UX were behind it. Only, no, Marina says that the UX and Celestial Being were the ones who saved them from the attackers. Moreover, they have the testimony of one of the captured terrorists, who stated that the ones who orchestrated the attack was—
“The terrorist you speak of committed suicide in his cell yesterday,” Hazard cuts in. “And we have his last words on record: ‘We were under the UX’s orders’… Such guilt he felt over his crimes. The UX are truly a monstrous lot to have pushed a man over the edge like that.”
Shirin can do nothing but grit her teeth, as Hazard exhorts the parliament to make a decision. Surely they can see that evil forces like JUDA and the UX cannot be tolerated anymore, lest the Earth Sphere further plummet into chaos!

Hester speaks up, agreeing with Hazard’s point and declaring that JUDA Corp. must be disarmed immediately. A wise decision and, on that subject, Hazard also suggests that they send official investigators after Orb: Cagalli’s ties to the UX can no longer be disregarded as mere rumors, no?
And, for that matter, she’s coincidentally absent today. Where could she have run off to? “I’d like to propose a Federal Inquiry be opened in regards to Ms. Cagalli Yula Athha!”

Klaus groans that they got completely outplayed by Hazard, who’s now vying to oust Cagalli from power with that Inquiry. Ruri and the others had thought it best for her to hide, out of concern for her safety, but her absence today backfired massively.
As Ronin knows, Hazard and co. are planning to get the ball rolling on their “reform” of the Federation Army with JUDA and Orb getting taken out of the picture – and, if successful, there’ll be no one capable of opposing them. Is there nothing Marina and the others can do? For now, Shirin says, all they can try is to stall the establishment of the Inquiry commission.

Ruri herself will work the financial angle, getting in touch with all the various companies that support the various members of the parliament and try to get them to help us out. They need to buy as much time as can be to put together our counteroffensive against Hazard.
From what Klaus has heard, the Union President has an agent, Axel Hughes, conducting an investigation into things, but there’s no telling if that will find enough to sway the parliament. Shirin figures our best shot right now is Alex Dino – here’s hoping he’ll make it in time…
(In the EU Route, Shirin says Axel told her he’d be coming to Japan to try and gather more info. He’ll let her know if anything turns up, but the question is whether or not that’ll happen before it’s too late… Alex is still their better shot, though we don’t know how much he’ll be able to prod the PLANTs into action.)

Cut back to JUDA, Shirin informs Ishigami that they couldn’t stop the Federation from joining on the operation to subjugate the company. Still, he’s already grateful that they even tried. Shirin isn’t throwing the towel just yet, though: they’ll consolidate their efforts and stand against Hazard and co. as best they can. With wishes that she doesn’t do anything crazy, Ishigami ends the call.
Seems like Kiriyama’s attack on us is already a certainty and folks the world over will be joining in on the fun. Things are looking dire to Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu: whether we win this or not, we’ll be enemies in the eyes of all of society. “Why?! We have done nothing but fight for the sake of the people!” Liu Bei and Sun Quan are pissed, but it doesn’t change our situation.
Kurara watches on and, inwardly, doesn’t think we’re being untruthful. At the rate this is going, though, we’ll go down as villains anyway.

In the EU and JP routes, Zhang Fei/Kenji ponders that maybe Moritsugu saw this coming and decided to make a run for it. Guan Yu/Sakura slaps him upside the head, telling him to mindful of other people’s feelings (Yamashita). In the US route, Erebos sighs that this is just the time when Moritsugu’d be real useful if he was still around; Lux chides her tactless insinuations, but she wasn’t trying to insinuate anything…
Regardless, the question remains: if Moritsugu did turn against us, how are we going to fight him? The guy is crazy strong, as everyone remembers.

Yamashita’s been quiet all this time and while Shizuna understands that he took quite the heavy blow, he can’t stay bummed out forever. Yamashita shushes everyone – as it turns out, he was actually poking at Moritsugu’s personal computer, trying to restore the purged data.
Too much about this whole thing strikes Yamashita as weird. What does he mean? Wasn’t he the one who saw Moritsugu beat and take Kouichi away? “If you ask me, Hayase’s the one confusing me the most,” Yamashita says. Domyoji can see what he means: as hotheaded as Kouichi is, it’s very odd that he didn’t even contact us after Moritsugu turned traitor. While he was fighting the guy, he could still have sent us an emergency transmission.

Do they mean Kouichi intentionally didn’t contact us? “Did Hayase want to lose and get captured?” Kizaki wonders. That’s a possibility that Yamashita’s considering, which is why he’s probing Moritsugu’s computer for any clues.
And he’s got something! What is it? We don’t get to find out yet, but it sounds like it explains much.

: What the hell are you thinking, Moritsugu…?

*Door opens.*

: Hello there. I’ve your meal.
: You… You were with Moritsugu and Kiriyama…
: Oh my, did you forget about me already? After everything we’ve been through? You’re breaking my heart…
: Huh…?! Wh-What are you talking about?!
: Hmhmhm, my voice still doesn’t ring any bells… honey?
: Ho…ney?
: Waaah! You! You’re with the Katou Organization! What’re you doing here?!
: A woman has plenty of secrets, you know. Here, have a little somethin’ somethin’.
: …?? What’s this?
: Oh, you were just so cool and manly when you punched Moritsugu…
: So I figured I’d bring you a small treat for that.

*She leaves.*

: A treat…?
: “I-Investigation Report – Reiji Moritsugu”…?!

: … Good luck to you, then. Make sure the entire world gets to see all of JUDA’s plans.
: I will, and thank you for your support of the media’s work.

*Kiriyama leaves.*

: You sure about this? I really don’t like obeying that shifty-looking fella.
: Oh, it’s fine. You never know what might be waiting around the corner…
: Huh, feeling pretty peppy today, aren’t we?

US route only:

: Besides, this’ll help us inch closer to the truth, too.
: Agent Hughes has already started his investigation here in Japan, so we should do some work of our own.

Back to common ground:

: If only those guys were around right now…
: What guys…?
: Eerr… Wait, who was I talking about?
: Hahah, are you feeling alright? Have I been working you too hard?
: (What’s going on…? I feel like I’m forgetting something really important…)

: … Yes, the people at JUDA are objecting to that footage as a fabrication.
: No, from what I saw of them, I wouldn’t say they’re lying…
: … Roger that. I’ll carry on with my investigation.

*Boop.*

: Hmhmm, so your gut tells you they’re innocent?
: …?!

*:tfrxmas:*

: Hey, hey, a gun’s no way to greet a person. Isn’t that right, Ms. “Hiromi Tachi” of JUDA’s secretarial staff?
: Or perhaps I should call you Ms. Kurara Tachibana of Metro PD’s public safety division?
: … Who are you?
: A professional colleague, you might say. At the very least know that I’m on your side.
: And why did you reach out to me?
: I’m just trying to figure out the truth. The world depends on it, you know.
: So I figured that, maybe, you’d be keen on a little intel exchange?
: (His bearing… he’s a trained man. He must be with some intelligence agency… and, if so, there might be no harm in talking with him.)
: It’s not too great for us to stand out here talking, I think. How about I get you something to drink? I know a great coffee place not too far from here.
: Fine. But if you ever approach me from behind again, you’ll be getting a bullet instead of coffee.
: I’ll keep that in mind.

: drat it, I don’t have time to be twiddling my thumbs here…!
: I gotta get out and tell everyone about this…!

*Door opens.*

: Yo, Kouichi. You’re doing okay, I take it?
: D-Damian…?! How did you get here…?!
: What do you mean ‘how’? I used to roll with the Martian Guerilla, remember? I could sneak in here blindfolded.
: But never mind me. I’ve got something important to tell you.
: Something important…?
: Yeah, those folks Kiriyama had watching yours, Risako and Domyoji’s homes? JUDA’s intelligence department’s taken care of ‘em.
: Really?! Ah, that’s a relief...
: But… how did you know they were watching our homes? Or that I was locked away here, even?
: Yamashita poked through Moritsugu’s computer and what he found in there explained pretty much everything.
: On Moritsugu’s...? Then that file was right and he really is…!
: Kiriyama’s already starting his attack on JUDA, meaning he and many of his troops are headed that way. Your orders are to trash this place while they’re gone.
: Trash this place… What, just me?
: Nah, relax. You’ll have a real powerhouse of a partner and he’ll be here any second now…

: Waaaaaaah! Th-The hell…?!
: *cough, cough*...! Making your entrance by busting through a wall… overkill much?

:siren: SRW UX - Linebarrel (Full Intro)

: That’s… the Vardant?!
: Apologies for the delay, Hayase…
: “Apologies”…? Wait, you’re that powerhouse partner he mentioned…?!
: I did open up saying you were going to have to fight with me, no?
: Argh, you little… If this is what you mean, you should’ve said “fight together with me,” dang it.
: Hah…
: There’s a whole lot I want you to explain, but that can wait ‘til later…
: I’m really ticked off today, and I feel like going ballistic around here!
: Come, Linebarrel!

Mission 19 – Judgment at Dusk

: Alright, boys and girls, I do hope you’ll put up a good fight. This is my TV debut, after all.

: It’s that unit that attacked around my village…!
: So it’s the Katous up first, huh? Battle stations, everyone!

: We can easily handle their Armas with our Nerve Crack!
: Right on, don’t cut ‘em any slack! Give those guys a real nasty one!
: If I may hazard a guess, the Katou Organization is likely only trying to stall us until Kiriyama and the Federation’s forces arrive.
: Troops, try and preserve as much resources as possible in anticipation of enemy reinforcements!

Kill everything, don’t lose the Deceive or a ship. Same fight we’ve had with Yulianne already but, as Kongming said, we’ll have more stuff incoming. Same map as the previous mission, so have fun driving your guys across that bridge again.
As usual, just be mindful about Yulianne debuffing your armor and everything’ll be fine. If I wasn’t recording convos, this is precisely the moment where I’d send the Fafner kids up top and let them all take kills for their secrets.

:siren: SRW UX - Linebarrel

And right on the next enemy turn…

Over by Tokyo, Aoi’s watching Isabelle report on the battle between JUDA’s mechs and the troops sent after it.
All this robot-on-robot action is giving her some major déjà vu, as Isabelle relates that JUDA Corp. has, indeed, shown itself to be a front for a terrorist organization! “Urgh, I’ve got nothing…! Why do I always have this nagging feeling that I’m missing something?!” Aoi groans. “Just what is this unease I’m feeling in my heart…?”

:siren: SRW UX - The Gate of Neidhöhle Opens

:siren: SRW UX - Life Goes On

: Hell are you doing here?! Did the Katou Organization sign up as Kiriyama’s goons now?!
: That would be telling. A bit of mystery adds to a woman’s charm, you know.

:siren: SRW UX - LOVE 14 ver. HD

: How about I teach you what human sensuality is about, robot girl?
: Um, no, I t e n d to pass on people that are full of themselves, thanks.
: You cheeky…!

:siren: SRW UX - The Eternal Soldiers

: Oh, dear, so it’s not a demon today but the big, bad devil? Maybe you could go a little bit easy on me?
: Do what now? Who d’ya think you’re talking to, eh?
: If you think batting your eyelashes at the devil will give you an edge, prepare to be disappointed!

: You figure you can take us on with the Linebarrel and Vardant gone, granny?!
: You call a lady a granny, you better be ready for the consequences…!

: This should be good enough, I think…
: Now let’s just hang back and see how things pan out.

: That looks like the last of the Katou Organization’s Armas, but…
: Right. Now comes the main event…

Alarm!*

: We’re picking up several heat signatures on radar! They’re headed this way – fast!

: There he is…!
: Time to roll up the sleeves and get to work. Let’s see how you’ll fare against the Jinrais and my Machina, the Pretender.
: A Machina…?! Eiji Kiriyama’s a Factor too?!
: I’m starting to get the picture… He built the Jinrais around his Machina’s tech.
: Now how about we get this Christmas party started?!

: Aaaah!
: Hrk… drat, the folks piloting them Jinrais have been really well trained!
: N-No, that’s not it! There’s… There’s no one aboard those!
: Huh…?! Do you mean those…
: Are all being remote-controlled…?!
: Hah, now ain’t that some good news! If those’re drones, we just gotta take out their control systems…!
: Ah, I get it. We’ll use the Nerve Crack to overload them with fake inputs…!
: Oho, I don’t think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7b-XeOpl4

: U-Uwaaaaaargh! My… My arms!
: What’re ya on about, Izuna?! Your arms are fine!
: Wired Nerve Cracks are so passé. They don’t hold a candle to wireless ones.
: What…?!
: Let me spell it out for you. My Machina’s called Pretender, but that’s just something of a codename.
: It’s actual name is… Deceive IV!
: De-“Deceive”…?! Then that attack just now was….!
: W-Wireless… Nerve Cracks!
: What will you do now, my friends of JUDA? If you choose to surrender, that’d be fine…
: But, personally, I’d much rather you kept on fighting – just so everyone could see what miserable fools you are!
: Not good…! All troops, cover the Deceive! Cut the enemy’s party short!

And now we get to walk aaall the way across the pond again to make it to Kiriyama’s posse. The Jinrais, of course, are made of studier, dodgier and stronger stuff than the Katou Armas, but they’re ultimately still mooks. Make good use of Luca, Yamashita and whatnot to boost your numbers if you wanna really play it safe and command auras aren’t cutting it.
The Deceive’s immobile thanks to Kiriyama’s attack and losing it means a game over, but that’s only a problem if you’d let it parked by JUDA, whereupon the enemy can reach it in decent time. I brought it all the way to attack Yulianne, so it’s far out of Kiriyama’s range.

Pretender (Eiji Kiriyama)
Pilot Skills:
Factor
Prevail L4
Support Attack L2
All Attack L1
Hit & Away
Mech Features:
10% HP Regen
Kiriyama’s voice actor: Sho Hayami

Kiriyama’s actually a dang good pilot, with a special focus in accuracy and evasion (though, like Masaki, his stats aren’t as absurdly high as they were in L). The Pretender itself is rather dodgy and offers decent range, though his best is only 1-3; mind you, what you really wanna watch out for are his 2-6 Nerve Cracks, which’ll apply morale and SP down, and HALVE all your stats. Thankfully, its accuracy modifier is only +10.
Being evasion-focused, however, means the Pretender isn’t too bulky and will easily fall in a single round of concentrated fire – just avoid rolling the dice with some liberal Strike/Focus casts.

:siren: SRW UX - Tales of Mirisha ~ The Brave Legend

:siren: SRW UX - Obelisk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWlOqCvQ0rw
Alto sets it up with his Beam Cannons, and Kiriyama’s prized prototypes catch a bad case of leekage.

: Ho-hum, is that really the best you’ve got…?

: This is bad…! We gotta turn this around or…!

*Beep.*

: Damian, how are things going over there?
: We pretty much have taken over Kiriyama Heavy Industries!
: The Linebarrel and Vardant are leaving right now – they’re headed your way as fast as can be!
: They’re leaving only now… How’re they gonna make it in time?!
: S-Sis… take the Deceive’s controls…
: Huh? What’re ya up to, Izuna…?
: We’re not winning this by being picky with our options…!
: And in that case…!

: Gaargh… Aaaaaah… AAAAAH!
: You shot the Nerve Cracks into yourself…?! But if you do that—!
: Look at that… Thrown caution to the wind, have we?
: He wants to overwrite the enemy’s mental attack with one of his own?!
: But that’s too much for anyone’s mind! Izuna’ll…!
: F-Forget about me… We need to… keep this place safe…!
: B-Besides… I’m sure that Hayase… will come help us…!
: Izuna, you…!
: Let’s go… Deceive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu13mBmklb4
Izuna: “You say wired Nerve Cracks can’t beat wireless ones…? How about we put that to the test?!”
Kiriyama: “Huh… That’s surprisingly good for an antique…!”

: He used the Nerve Cracks to control the downed Armas…?!
: Whoa, they can actually fight like that?!
: Do you see it now, Kiriyama?! There’s some lag to your wireless Nerve Cracks, but not in my direct connections! It’s you who can’t beat me!
: You know what? You’re starting to annoy me…
: So how about I wrap this up right now?!

*Kiriyama flies straight southwest!*

: ?! Stop him! He’s targeting Mr. Ishigami’s office…!
: What…?!
: No… we’re not gonna make it!

: Aiiieeeee!
: Bye-byeee!

*Missiles!*

: Hayase… help!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 30, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

: Wh-What…? Why the hell are you here?!
: Do you even gotta ask…? It’s because I’m a CHAMPION OF JUSTICE!
: Hayase…!
: Gaah, that dumdum really kept us waiting…!
: Hahah, what an entrance, Kouichi… You’re becoming more and more Championly by the day!
: I was sure I was gonna be too late, even flying as fast as I could…
: It was you, wasn’t it, Kizaki? You called the Linebarrel over!
: No, I—… Um, I mean… Yes, I guess I did!
: The Linebarrel’s capable of warping through space even with a Factor aboard…?!
: (That ability was just like the Orphes’…!)

: Looks like we made it.
: Moritsugu…!
: Reiji?! What’re you doing here…?!
: It’s over, Eiji.
: Wh-What…?
: Kiriyama Heavy Industries has already been taken over. You’re done.
: Hah… hahahah… I get it. You were planning on betraying me from the start…! But you’re wrong…!

: ?! The Federation and even The Boom Army…?!
: I just have to make it through this and everything else’ll follow…!
: That also applies to us, however!
: My friends, this is all-out war! Summon forth every ounce of your might!
: You got it! I’ll give him an eyeful of the power of JUSTICE!

And, yay, Reiji and Kouichi are back already! Losing either of them’s a game over, but you really shouldn’t have that happen unless you actively try to.
Kiriyama’s far from our group again, so we’ll need to close in again – downing him ends the mission, so we’ll save that for after everything else is gone. Of note, the new batch of guys are close enough to start blasting whatever’s by the bridge.

In the JP and EU route, when the next turn rolls over…

: Still going at it, eh? I confess I didn’t think you’d last this long… That being said!

: A-Aah! How could he have more troops lying in wait…?!
: Didn’t see this coming, did we? Whoops!

*The Riot C’s move up.*

: They’re also going after JUDA Corp…!
: W-We can’t last like this…!
: No, don’t worry... they have made it in good time!

: Wh-What?!

:siren: SRW UX - Rebellion Against Fate
I’d figured this was a regular BGM, but it turns out this is the local ‘big goddamn heroes’ theme, so here it is!

: That’s… the Ptolemaios!
: Here we are at last! All troops, mission start!

: They’re under fire from the Federation! Is everyone okay?!
: Looks like a real mess they’ve got on their hands, but it might be winnable with us here to help…!
: Agreed. Setsuna F. Seiei, moving to break the enemy offensive…!
: Hmph, I see several flies gathered in a swarm... However, none of them shall be a match for me!
: (Cao Cao…!)
: (He was also brought to this world, just as we feared…!)
: Shoouu, Japan’s jampacked with robots too!
: Yeah, the enemy’s got a ton of machines I’ve never even seen before! They’re not taking me down, though!
: I’ll cover your six, Shou!
: Yeesh, we just got to Japan and we already gotta fight?
: Still, we’re here to join up with the UX, so we better make a good first impression!
: Aye, teach this uncouth mob of foes to fear yours and the Demonbane’s might!
: Come on, Heroman! They need our help!
: Hmm…!
: They’re all here!
: Alright, things are looking way up already! Let’s buckle up and take out the rest of the enemy!
: Th-This can’t be happening…! I refuse to accept it…! I won’t!
: Because… Because, then… wouldn't this mean I'm the villain here?!
: Of course you are – anyone with half a brain could tell you that! So you better get ready to pay the piper, Kiriyama!

:siren: SRW UX - Shangri-La

And I kept on killing stuff, nice and easy… until I underestimated the Riot Cs. Remember when I said that the fresh arrivals were in position to immediately reach whatever was by the bridge? They did: the Elshank was there.
Overconfidence is an insidious killer and I’d come to take Romina’s barrier for granted. The mooks had already plinked away at her HP, and when I decided to try (and fail) at a double kill with the Riots… catastrophe.

:staredog: :staredog:

:siren: SRW UX - Tobikage Appears!

Tobikage
Pilot Skills:
Double Movement
Ninja L9
Prevail L9
Support Attack L3
Support Defense L3
Break Morale Limit
All Attack L3
Mech Features:
Sword
Gun
Bunshin no Jutsu

Say hello to THE best pilot in the whole goddamn game: Tobikage has massively HUGE stats everywhere, and beats everyone we’ve encountered thus far, ally or enemy, by a mile.
He will not be killed by the enemy – they won’t even get anything above single digits % to hit (and that’s before accounting for Bunshin no Jutsu) – as that maxed out Ninja skill means he has +28% to his evasion and accuracy numbers, plus an S size AND S ranks everywhere. Tobikage’s gigantic Skill stat, big modifiers in his weapons and Ninja’s +20% boost pretty much means he’ll crit everything he attacks, too.
Tobikage’s weapons are very powerful, but the enemies in this mission are bulky enough that he won’t be oneshotting them with his weaker ones, meaning he’ll have to use his Double Movement to reap an enemy duo per turn… unless he gets a bit of morale, then he will oneshot, and that’ll be two pairs he’ll take per turn.
If you mess up and Tobikage arrives, you have one option if you don’t want him to take away a ton of your money and kills: get Joe, Mike or Rennie to eat something that sends them below 30% (a MAPW might work, if enemies won’t cut it). If you can’t, then you’ll need to rush and minimize your losses, which isn’t the simplest as Tobikage moves very far, very quickly, and the enemy AI will gang up on him if nothing interesting is in sight.

:siren: SRW UX - JOEY AND HEROMAN

Oddly enough, the US team only get their pre-battle convos in the JP route, despite the fact that they’ve just joined in the EU route as well.

: How can they say Richard, Saya and their friends are terrorists, enemies of the whole world? That’s got to be some sort of mistake!
: Come on, Heroman! We have to put an end to this fight! Heromaaaaan… GO!

It begins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBQkhVYFus
His second weakest attack, at base morale, and he nearly oneshotted two mooks despite the chain-attack damage penalty (10%, even with All Attack L3). Of course, he does kill them both on the rebound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW091hJAX4s
The new arrivals come in with 120 morale, so I could bust out Shou and Marvel’s combined attack with only a couple of kills!

:siren: SRW UX - Love Survivor

: Stop zipping all over the drat place! You say you wanna fight, you get over here and fight me mano a mano!
: Here’s some advice for you, son! Being able to think on your feet and adapt is key for life in society!

: A villain like you dares masquerade yourself as just?! I won’t allow your evil to carry on for another minute!
: So this is one of those miniature Gundams I’ve heard so much about? I’m pretty sure my company could cook up something brand new after we’ve had a chance to poke around your insides!

Liu Bei: “What justice is there in a world that isn’t what the people desire?!”

: A brat like you is a Champion of Justice…?! You’re just a snot-nosed middle-schooler!
: Hah, you underestimate what a middle-schooler can do!

: That’s another kid inside that robot? Kids ought to do as the grownups say, you know!
: “Because you’re kids, and we’re grownups”…! That’s just an excuse people use – both back at the island, and outside it – to force their decisions onto us!

: The sky of Earth belongs to earthlings! Hurry on out of it, alien!
: In that case, take better care of that sky and stop staining it with your foul play!

: JUDA’s my new home, and I’ll make sure it stays in one piece!
: Then, please, stop fighting back! I’ll bring JUDA into my company and its Special Forces will come with!

: A last-generation mech from the Great War… do you seriously think you can down my Pretender with that?
: I’m an old hand when it comes to fighting transformable units! And I know exactly how to deal with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LfA6hZNH08
Here’s Kiriyama’s best trick.

:siren: SRW UX - Future-Bound Fighting Spirit

: Your cheap tactics will never make us back away! Try and pull whatever stunts you’d like, they won’t work!
: Hmph, quite the holier-than-thou speech coming from a terrorist!

: So yours is a variable unit just like our Valkyries, eh? Sounds like fun! Come try your hand with me!
: Please, Earth’s machines would never be outdone by those of aliens!

: Eiji… if only I’d noticed your twisted sense of justice sooner rather than later…
: Actually… I had noticed it, but I was afraid of losing my dear friend. So I went about pretending nothing was wrong…
: No, my justice isn’t twisted at all! I am not in the wrong…!
: Your game of make-believe is over, Eiji. We’ll save you from your delusion…

: Come now, an outdated mech like yours could never beat a cutting-edge model like mine.
: Outdated, you say?! Come here and we’ll see if wired Nerve Cracks really can’t beat wireless ones!

: Hrgh… No… This can’t be…!

In the JP route, he, instead, has his flip-out now:

: Th-This can’t be happening…! I refuse to accept it…! I won’t!
: Because… Because, then… wouldn't this mean I'm the villain here?!

Common ground:

: Take a look, dear viewers! It looks like Mr. Kiriyama’s machine has taken significant damage!
: ?! Wh-What are you doing…?
: Cut the transmission! I didn’t tell you to show this!

*Beep.*

: We are journalists, sir. All we do is showcase the truth, whatever it might be.
: Hrm… So even mere journalists like you are standing against me?!
: Well, dang, that broad’s got some major guts, eh?
: (Isabelle…!)
: It’s time you accepted reality, Eiji.
: Neither one of us can ever amount to Champions of Justice.
: Wh-What did you say…?!
: A-Ah, I see how it is, Reiji! What you really want is to get revenge on me, huh?!
: Yes… you want revenge on me for getting your sister killed!
: His sister…? What’s he talking about?
: You’re right in that if I did the deed myself, it’d only amount to base revenge. But that’s why I won’t be the one who’ll actually save you…

: … It’ll be Hayase.
: ?! Moritsugu…!
: Wh-Why, Reiji?! He’s just a stupid teenager! Why are you looking out for him?!
: How’s he any different from us?!
: The difference is simple…
: People look at Hayase and truly believe him to be a Champion of Justice.
: Hayase…
: Do it, Kouichi!
: Get going, Hayase! Toss that guy’s plans into the trash!
: Ya gotta do something after being talked up like that, right?!
: They’re right, Hayase… ya gotta wrap this up…!
: G-Guys…!
: I ask that you finish off Eiji Kiriyama, Hayase. Please.
: Moritsugu… are you sure about this?
: The only way he can be saved is if he’s beaten by a real Champion of Justice…
: And if you succeed…
: Then I’ll also believe you to be one.
: Reiji…?!
: … Alright, roger that.
: … I guess there’s no talking with you, Reiji. But maybe you’ll open your eyes with this brat out the picture…!
: And in that case…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inq11B_kzTg
Captions are available.

: Urgh…
: I-Is it over…?
: Reiji… there’s just one thing you got wrong.
: I only wanted to be your Champion of Justice…
: … I know. But I didn’t want that of you.
: I would’ve been happy with you just being my friend…
: I see…
: Reiji… I wish we could back to how things were…

: Eiji Kiriyama… if only he’d used that dedication for something different…
: ...
: Moritsugu...

Back at Tokyo, Saji and Louise are watching Isabelle’s report on Kiriyama’s failed attack at JUDA. When she asks if something’s up, he says it’s nothing.
Saji remembers how the Celestial Being’s armed intervention brought significant change to the world two years ago – yet, Setsuna and the others are still out there fighting…

By Moldova, Allelujah and Soma Peries have also seen the news. Should they go and help out Ptolemy, she wonders? No, Allelujah says they’ll call for them if need be. Besides, he’d like keep her out the battlefield if possible.

Cut to JUDA, Isabelle wraps up her report, noting how JUDA and UX’s excessive might will continue to draw the eyes of society at large. As Sakuya cuts the recording, she wonders if our guys really are these “enemies of the world” the powers that be say we are.
Axel Hughes is around and praises her journalistic soul, Isabelle thanking him for keeping her network out of Kiriyama’s control and able to work unhindered. In the EU and JP routes, Axel hadn’t reached out to them yet, so Sakuya asks who he is and why he helped them. His answer is the same in both accounts: he just wants the undiluted truth to be brought to the world.

Sakuya figures doing so’ll help with whatever his job is but, while Axel gives a vague confirmation, he won’t complain about it since divulging the truth IS their actual work. And since in for a penny means in for a pound, Isabelle figures they need to get to the bottom of this JUDA/UX business.
In the US route, the convo with Axel stays the same until the “undiluted truth” bit, where Sakuya is the one to question whether JUDA and the UX really are the enemies of the world. But, as Axel notes, finding answers is precisely Sakuya and Isabelle’s craft, no? Absolutely, and Isabelle stakes her confidence as a journalist on it.

Back at Ishigami’s office, we get the bombastic news that Moritsugu is now the new president of Kiriyama Heavy Industries! Apparently the company board, led by Kiriyama’s dad himself, officially dismissed him and appointed Moritsugu as his successor.
Ogawa asks if Ishigami knew this would happen, but no: all Moritsugu told him is that he wanted to “settle accounts with Eiji Kiriyama” before taking off. He never expected the guy would wind up taking up the entire company, though.
Apparently Moritsugu and Dad Kiriyama had been working on this plan for a while. Info on all of it was left behind in his computer, so we found out the truth when Yamashita hacked in: his betrayal of JUDA was just a ruse to gain Eiji Kiriyama’s trust.

But why would Kiriyama’s father oust his own son? From what Yamashita gathered, the old man noticed how twisted Kiriyama had become – getting in bed with the Katou Organization, becoming the Pretender’s Factor – and did this in hopes that it’ll help his son turn over a new leaf.
Joe, however, isn’t sure what Kiriyama really wanted to get from all this. His overt reason was to take over JUDA and claim a bigger share of the military industry, but Kouichi thinks his actual reason was just that he wanted to help Moritsugu.

Kouichi tells them of the file Yulianne gave him, which told of how Kiriyama and Moritsugu used to be best friends back in the day. Kiriyama, however, wanted to be the sole influence in the guy’s life, so he orchestrated things so that his sister, Yuriko Moritsugu, wound up being killed.
That explains to Kenji why Moritsugu said it’d just be base revenge if he took out Kiriyama himself. But, rather, he fought to try and save his old “friend’s” life - that makes absolutely no sense to Ogawa and she figures it’s a guy thing.

When Toumi asks, Richard says Kiriyama was picked up from the battlefield by his father and taken abroad. Saya figures any legal measures wouldn’t amount to much when the culprit’s a Factor, but perhaps this’ll be for the best if Kiriyama uses this opportunity to reflect upon himself and correct his course through life.
Regardless, that’s that issue taken care of… but not the one regarding JUDA’s secret being exposed to the entire planet. We are all now officially enemies of the world…

: Yamashita, about what happened…
: Why didn’t you tell me anything? If you’d just explained what was up, I…
: I know I had to bring Hayase into this, but today’s battle was personal matter…
: So I didn’t want to involve the rest of you. My original plan was to keep things from blowing out of proportion.
: But things did get blown out of proportion anyway, didn’t they?!
: Yes, they did… I made a mistake.
: Then I want you to promise me that the next time anything happens, you’ll let me know…
: Yeah, I promise.
: drat it… It might’ve all been an act, but I can’t stand the thought of you turning traitor… It sickens me…
: Yamashita…
: I am truly sorry for everything. And you did very well in protecting JUDA during my absence.
: Moritsugu~…
: Hey, don’t cry. We’ll be leaving soon, right?
: “Leaving”…? Oh, for Hayase’s Christmas Party?
: It’ll also be something of a welcome party for the Union/Europe groups. You’ll be there, right? It’d do you well to have fun once in a blue moon.

Everyone’s blown away by the huge party and banquet Moritsugu put together for us, and Kurou isn’t one to waste free food – he’ll eat enough to cover a whole week! While Al shakes her head, Kurou tries pouring more stuff into Joey’s plate, much to the kid’s embarrassment. He already has enough!
These guys sure don’t look anything like what Joe envisioned the heroes who took out the Skrugg, and Rennie thinks they’ve just found a bigger food aficionado than Joe. Hardly, as Joe’s just fussy about food— drat it, Mike, you’re not supposed to mix food that takes chili sauce with stuff that takes sesame sauce! Fussy, indeed…

Setsuna’s off in a corner and Lockon prods him to do stuff. This is a PARTY, so how about having some fun? Or is there something on his mind? Maybe, maybe not, but Setsuna tells Lockon and the others to don’t worry about him and go have fun themselves.
As he leaves, Mileina notes that he’s been getting progressively more distant nowadays. But he is the first Innovator, a new strand of mankind as Aeolia Schenberg proposed, so maybe he’s sensing stuff we don’t even know is there? Hmm…

Nearby, in the US route, Sima Yi is pleasantly surprised that he has a chance to drink with the people of the Sun Army again. Again? But weren’t they at war with each other? Not always, as Zhou Yu says: there was a time when they fought under the same banner.
That’d be the campaign against Dong Zhuo, a highlight in Romance of the Three Kingdoms only, as Domyoji points out, in our world, that happened about a century before Sima Yi started making rounds. The guy himself has read the book, and it shows the subtle differences between the history of our world and in Mirisha.

Speaking of, there’s also the somewhat different Byston Well that Lux comes from and the one Marvel and Shou know of. Seems that even different worlds are capable of having parallel versions of themselves, Eida notes, and it all sounds very complicated to Shizuna.
Still, it’s quite amazing to Maya how people from those different worlds are now fighting side-by-side. “Different worlds, hm…?” Cao Cao mulls under his breath. Sima Yi’s just as pensive: “All of Creation possesses two sides to itself… Whatever could there be in the void between the layered worlds…?”

In the JP and EU route, Shou tells of how he’s also a native Overworlder who wound up in Byston Well with many others – only it was a different Byston Well from the one we visited, of course. Indeed, Lux notes that she’s never heard speak of many of the nations he mentioned, but Erebos can attest that his and Marvel’s units are legit Aura Battlers.
Seems to Aesap that there are both common elements, like that Jacoba Aon we spoke to, and different elements (like with Jacoba being a mushroom lady, and alive). Even different worlds are capable of having parallel versions of themselves, apparently – that’s a tough concept for Shinn to wrap his head around.
Still, it’s quite amazing to Maya how people from those different worlds are now fighting side-by-side.

: That becomes even more significant from our standpoint. Here we have previously hostile rulers now standing together in battle.
: Wei, Shu and Wu, once bitter enemies, now forced to ally with one another… Isn’t that something?
: Indeed… fate is an amazing thing.
: Hmph... Does the thought of doing battle beside me upset you so?
: I wouldn’t say “upset” is the right world. It just feels… odd, having you here with us…
: If it helps, the feeling is mutual.
: However, right now we are all drifters from a different world… ‘Tis better to disregard the past and tread through this together than by our lonesome, no?
: (Cao Cao, “an unscrupulous hero in chaotic times”… Your words may ring true, but I wonder what sort of purpose lies in their shadows…?)

: Is something wrong?
: Kizaki… No, I just got stuff on my mind…
: About what happened today?
: Yeah… I was sure Moritsugu was gonna try and take revenge on Kiriyama. But it didn’t turn out that way – he forgave him instead.
: And I thought, “could I have done that if I was in his shoes”…? That guy’s really amazing…
: He is, yes…
: And I know that he asked me to do it, but I can’t help but wonder if it really was right for me to take Kiriyama out myself…
: I don’t think you need to worry about that. You did the right thing.
: Really…?
: Really.
: Well, alright… But, there’s one thing that became 100% clear.
: And it’s that Moritsugu’s on a different league than me, both as a Factor and as a person… And I’d like to surpass him someday.
: Hayase…
: Huh? Speak of the devil, is that him over there…?
: He told me that he was going to pay for the hall and then he was heading back to JUDA.
: Whaa?! Crap, gimme a sec, then! I gotta go thank him for the party!

*Off he goes.*

: Ah, Hayase…

: Moritsugu!
: Hayase…? Something the matter?
: No, I… I just wanted to say “thanks a bunch” for this.
: Don’t worry about it. It’s the least I could do to make up for the trouble I caused.
: But did you run all the way here just to say that?
: Um… No, I…
: Hah...
: Hayase, that punch you gave me earlier… It was truly painful.
: ?! Moritsugu…

Finally, back at New York, both Hester and Mitsuhiro saw Kiriyama’s assault at JUDA go down, and they’ve confirmed without a doubt that the Fafner Nothung Models are all with the UX.
Hester says they need to put that plan in action and Mitsuhiro confirms that everything’s good to go. First, they’ll recall the spy at ALVIS back to Japan and then they’ll move to secure a Nothung Model. “Humanity has very little time left. Everything depends on the Fafners…” Hester says.

FYI, the Fafner trio got another 10 kills today, bringing their total to 51 – we’re a third of the way there! :toot:
And since Joey’s FINALLY rejoined legit, I can start getting kills with him again: his total is currently 23, so there’s a lot of work to be done. Thankfully, his cutoff point is waaaay down the line.
Now, lines we didn’t get or that were in other routes:

: Ah, one of the Celestial Being’s Gundams! Your group was a an evil force upon the entire world and I won’t have you getting in the way of my justice!
: Everyone has their own understanding of what’s right. That being said, I refuse to accept your definition of justice!

--

: Why, it’s been ages, little boy. Have you bulked up a bit since then?
: Yeah, we’ve been through our own share of close calls! Let’s get through another one, Heroman!
: Hmm…!

--

: Oh, dear, it’s the hunk with the Deus Machina. Do you remember me?
: You’re one of those guys that attacked Arkham City! But I’m not the same guy I was back then!
: Indeed, you are not. Let her behold the might you have developed!

--

: Moritsugu would never get together with scum like you, Eiji Kiriyama!
: Oops, looks like you don’t know anything…
: No, Reiji is together with me. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles, son!

--

: Fancy meeting you here, grandpa.
: You again? I won’t allow any of you to take JUDA – that’s the place I’ve to defend now!
: Hmm, what a spirited man you are… You do justice to the “Talisman” name, I see.

--

: Justice is with me! Yes, I… I am a CHAMPION OF JUSTICE!
: What a powerful soul… No, this Aura surrounding him… it’s pure hatred!

--

: The Nanajin and I’ll put you right in your place!
: Ah, it’s one of those Aura Battlers? But you won’t be outclassing my Pretender when it comes to mobility!

--

: A serf like you dares masquerade yourself as just?! I shall personally tender your due judgment!
: So this is one of those miniature Gundams I’ve heard so much about? I’m pretty sure my company could cook up something brand new after we’ve had a chance to poke around your insides!

--

: A despicable man like you dares masquerade yourself as just?! Your evil must be punished, and I’ll see to it myself! I swear it by my name as Sun Quan!

--

: Huh, so he can transform into a flying machine? That’s just like Lu Xun and his Swift Swallow form! (Lu Xun’s Zeta Plus)
: Princess, please! I beg that you don’t compare such a man to me!

--

: Looks like the Japan crew picked up some new faces while we were gone. We better look good for our return, then!
: Look good! Look good!
: Alrighty, then! Now let’s make it like the Lockon Stratos name suggests and start sniping stuff!

--

: Kurou, my master! If what stands before your eyes strikes you as unacceptable, then take in hand the blade that smites evil and wield it as you see fit!
: Aye, aye! Evil will never prosper anywhere inbetween the earth and the heavens!
: Here we go, Demonbane, the innocent blade!!

--

: Hey there, villainess. What kinda cards you got up your sleeve today?
: You’ll see, Mr. Nameless. First things first, though, I’ve a score to settle with you after Iwate!

--

: Our Aura Machines’ engines are growing stronger after coming to the Overworld…!
: Just make sure you don’t get taken over by negative emotions and you won’t go Hyper! All we need to do is cut down the enemy’s delusions…!
: That’s right! Get them!

--

: So it wasn’t just my dad’s country… even Japan’s turning into a battlefield!
: Yeah, there’s war everywhere we look up here!
: And we’re fighting to change that! Come on! We’ll bring this battle to a close with all of the Nanajin’s power!

--

: May victory be yours, my Lord.
: Hah, observe, Sima Yi. My crimson flames shall reduce them all to ash.

A question in the thread about Cham's capacity to be a subpilot for both Shou and Marvel led to the discovery that her appearance in the various attacks is an overlay on top of the base animation. That, in turn, inspired MajinZenki:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 30, 2018

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

I was reading through the L LP and got to this mission shortly after reading about its (rough) counterpart there. I was pretty pleased/amused to see that Moritsugu is gone only for part of this mission. Just another reason why Mangabarrels is superior, I guess.

And man. Hazard is becoming really easy to hate.

Aside, a thing I (someone only recently) noticed about the game the other day: you get different lines near the start of each mission depending on your tactician - everyone has their own variation on telling you your objectives. It's a neat touch. For example I used Soushi on this mission, and according to my friend he says...well, roughly the same thing as Zhuge Liang, just worded differently (e.g. "Everyone, please do your best to save your strength"). Though I imagine there are some amusing/very different gems in there, especially some of the later tacticians. Guessing showing them all is probably too much of a pain for LP purposes though - not to mention how awkward it'd be unless they're in a test poster or whatever.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 3, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I know this is not neccesary to point out but Mangabarrels once again shows why it is good and Animebarrels is not. The changes to this storyline were weird as poo poo to me, it works so well like this. Kinda rushed in this game, but I guess it's for the best in a setting like SRW, and overall the story is faithful to the original.

Brunom1 posted:

: Moritsugu would never get together with scum like you, Eiji Kiriyama!
: Oops, looks like you don’t know anything…
: No, Reiji is together with me. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles, son!

Look at that love triangle. Moritsugu sure knows how to attract men.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Now the gang's all together! Hooray! :dance:

I'm really liking the general background plot of the SD Gundams dealing with being forced into another world, forced to ally with old enemies, and forced to confront how their history and the history of RotK conflicts. I hope they actually go somewhere with it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

SirSystemError posted:

And man. Hazard is becoming really easy to hate.

Aside, a thing I (someone only recently) noticed about the game the other day: you get different lines near the start of each mission depending on your tactician - everyone has their own variation on telling you your objectives. It's a neat touch. For example I used Soushi on this mission, and according to my friend he says...well, roughly the same thing as Zhuge Liang, just worded differently (e.g. "Everyone, please do your best to save your strength"). Though I imagine there are some amusing/very different gems in there, especially some of the later tacticians. Guessing showing them all is probably too much of a pain for LP purposes though - not to mention how awkward it'd be unless they're in a test poster or whatever.

I did notice the tactician lines, but it didn't seem worth it to run them all since, as you noted, they are 95% identical. I'll add others in if they say anything important.

And I didn't mention this before, but I've a Hazard Counter running with folks on Discord. The number of times Hazard's antics have screwed us is currently:

:toxx: Hazard Counter: 5 :toxx:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, I thought he was bald.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There is one minor detail changed about Eiji's meltdown from manga to UX. The transfer of Kiriyama Industries to Reiji's control is not done after everything is wrapped up nice and tidy like here in the game. No, Papa Kiriyama makes this a big public announcement during the fight, so even Eiji gets to hear his own father deliver a giant middle finger to his own son by announcing to the world that Reiji, essentially a family friend, will be inheriting the Kiriyama fortune and business. As you can imagine, Eiji takes that news as well as you'd expect him to. It's a shame they didn't include that as part of a voiced cutscene, because we have been greatly deprived of hearing Sho Hayami utterly lose his poo poo and go full hog in the process.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Brunom1 posted:

I did notice the tactician lines, but it didn't seem worth it to run them all since, as you noted, they are 95% identical. I'll add others in if they say anything important.

And I didn't mention this before, but I've a Hazard Counter running with folks on Discord. The number of times Hazard's antics have screwed us is currently:

Coincidentally, that's how many times I've thought Nadesico was in this game because of passing mentions of the Demonbane Ruri.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We thought Tobikage being a match for Master Therion was an exaggeration, but no, it entirely makes sense. I wonder how it would fare against some of the game's bosses. Would it eventually run out of ammo/energy? Would they win after like twenty attack phases of trying to shoot it down at 5% chance each?

I like that Izuna got to have a moment and the Deceive powered up. Mangabarrels treats its secondary cast well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Having a machina named after a song just makes me thing of Jojo.

"Is this the power of an enemy machina!?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When The Boom Army shows up to help Kiriyama, is that supposed to be the real thing or just him pulling every cracked downed machine out of the reserves?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

When The Boom Army shows up to help Kiriyama, is that supposed to be the real thing or just him pulling every cracked downed machine out of the reserves?

If you remember, The Boom Army's mechs are recognized as friendlies by the Federation since they're working with the Martian Development Bureau. So when the Feds sent troops over, Hazard's group also joined in with the GN-X IIIs and Riot Cs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Having a machina named after a song just makes me thing of Jojo.

"Is this the power of an enemy machina!?"

Judau Ashta is canonically a Stand User.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

Judau Ashta is canonically a Stand User.

Oh, so that's the power of Judau's Stand, 「 ANIME JA NAI 」

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, so that's the power of Judau's Stand, 「 ANIME JA NAI 」

Nah, no Stand User had the opening song as their Stand. For Judau, I'd say 「 Wretches and Kings

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You mentioned that you could move Cham over to Marvel, right? Is the Twin Aura Attack different if you do so? (Just having Cham with Marvel instead of with Shou).

quote:

drat it, Mike, you’re not supposed to mix food that takes chili sauce with stuff that takes sesame sauce!
He can join Cagali and Andrew in the eternal debate of what sauce, chili or yogurt, you should have with a doner kebab. It's actually a trick question. The correct answer is just a little tomato sauce to get the wrap moist so it doesn't crack after you heat it up, and put lots and lots of thyme and pepper flakes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tzatziki. :colbert:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, no Stand User had the opening song as their Stand. For Judau, I'd say 「 Wretches and Kings

What he needs is his Stand 「 Wretches and Kings 」

What you can find beyond the powers of his Stand is where you need to go in order to find Heaven. What you need is a trustworthy friend. He must be someone capable of controlling his own desires. He must be someone who's soul is not weighed down by gravity.

Will he, Judau, be able to meet someone like this one day?

What he also needs is the lives of more than 36 Earthnoids who have sinned, because those who have sinned harbor a strong power within.

There are 14 Mobile Suit names that one must keep in mind:

F91 Gundam
Quebeley
Zaku III
Guntank
Quebeley
Nightingale
Quebeley
Zeta Gundam
Victory Gundam
Acguy
Rafflesia
Quebeley
Zeta Gundam
Hi-Nu Gundam

He'll engrave these names onto his Stand so he won't forget them. What is most necessary is "courage"; he must have the courage to destroy his Stand momentarily. As it disintegrates, his Stand will absorb the souls of the 36 Earthnoids and will give birth to something utterly new.

Whatever is born will "awaken". It will show interest in the 14 names that his trusted friend will utter... His friend will trust him and he will become his "friend".

Lastly, he needs an appropriate location. Lagrange 3...

Go there and wait for the Moon Moon...

That's when Heaven will come.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

General Revil posted:

You mentioned that you could move Cham over to Marvel, right? Is the Twin Aura Attack different if you do so? (Just having Cham with Marvel instead of with Shou).

Yup. As I've been shown, Cham is actually an overlay onto the pilot cut-in, so she'll up whenever Shou and Marvel do their Hyper Aura Slash glow, or with whoever she's with during the combo.

With that knowledge, MajinZenki went and did something for me:

Inferno-sama posted:

That's when Heaven will come.

: :staredog:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 5, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

We’re back and, if you’re on the EU route, you’ve already have your whole team again! Kazuki’s deploying as an event unit, so here’s how we’re going:
Arnie/Fei
Zhang Fei/Tsubasa (shrug)
Shinn/Klan
Sun Quan/Shangxiang
Eida/Guan Yu
Mazinkaiser/Soubi
Michel/Kenji
Alto/Ozma
Mamoru/Sakura
Kouichi/Canaria
Liu Bei/Rennie
Aesap/Cao Cao
Yamashita/Mike
Joe/Saya
Lockon/Luna
Shou/Marvel
Setsuna/Luca
Kurou/Deceive
Heroman/Moritsugu
Tactician: Zhuge Liang.

Off we go.

We open up at the Celestial Being spaceship, where Kati’s currently based at. She’s showing Dog Tack and a very impressed Patrick around (and, for the Nth time, she’s a General now, not Colonel). Patrick spots this huge ball/box-looking thing and, as it turns out, that’s the AI supercomputer Veda – a system that compiles and controls information from all over the world.
Dog Tack is interested, and Kati adds that the only reason the Celestial Being were able to fight against the entire planet during the last Great War is due to them having Veda’s support. And now the Federation is allowed to also benefit from it.
A mook steps on over, bringing Kati news that the report on that has just been finished.

As Kati explains to Dog, they’ve recently found a derelict exploration vessel that drifted all the way to the Earth Sphere – the Federation figured they’d best deal with it before any accident happens. According to what the patrol fleet’s uncovered, the vessel in question is the Europa – it was sent to Jupiter about 130 years ago and, from what they can tell, there are no signs of life aboard. A wandering ghost ship, so to speak.
From its current course, there’s a chance it’ll wind up crashing into the Orbital Ring, so Kati orders the patrol fleet contacted: they’ll execute Plan D34, blasting it with GN Missiles in order to alter its trajectory.

Descartes has a laugh at this – he’s an Innovator, as confirmed by Veda itself – and immediately strikes Kati as very disrespectful. Granted, being the military’s guinea pig tends to eat away at one’s good manners.
When Dog asks, Kati’s mook tells that the Innovators are, simply put, an evolution of mankind, with enhanced situational awareness, precognition, increased Quantum brainwaves, etc., etc. But what’s most important is that, when in a field of GN particles, an Innovator can even join his mind with other’s by way of those Quantum brainwaves.

Patrick didn’t get any of that, but it doesn’t matter: the patrol fleet has reported that their missiles hit the target and they’re working on confirming that its trajectory has shifted. Descartes doesn’t need to wait for the results, however, and already tags the operation as a failure. How can he tell? No reason – he just has a feeling.
And, indeed, he’s right: a report comes in saying they registered absolutely no changes to the Europa’s course. The missiles should’ve been more than enough to pull that off, so what gives? Well, Descartes heading out there – isn’t Kati curious to see what Innovators are capable of?

Andrei and his goons are trying to shoot down the ship, but the thing is just too big for their missiles to do any lasting damage. “Don’t give up! We need to stop this thing right now or it might crash land on Earth!” Andrei yells, but the odds aren’t looking good.

Thankfully, it’s Descartes to the rescue with his Gadelaza, and he appreciates the opportunity to take out his pent-up frustration on something. The derelict ship is quickly blown away by his Innovator Mobile Armor. Very impressive.
As the folks aboard the Celestial Being gape, Dog Tack sees that he needs to tell Hazard about Veda and the Innovators. As for the Europa, it’s breaking apart and MOST of the fragments are burning away in Earth’s atmosphere… though it seems a few of them have fallen on the surface.
That strikes Kati as odd, so she figures it best to play it safe…

Cut to the California base, where Graham’s called Billy over for his opinion on said fragments, and, indeed, the scientist does concede that it’s surprising that the things didn’t burn to a crisp. But why does Graham care about them? Well, he caught wind of Kati ordering an investigation on the things and got curious. Always quick on the take, huh?
Well, as luck would have it, Billy’s being transferred to some space research institute, so he’ll let Graham know if he finds anything. That’d be great. And, since he’s already called, does Billy have news on the development of the Brave after he’d gone around testing their prototype?

Yes, they’re expected to be rolled-out by the end of the month. Billy vouches for their performance, though they’ll demand more skilled pilots than the army’s new standard, the Riots.
A dark cloud sets upon Graham’s head, and Billy apologizes for bringing up the Riots, what with those costing him two of his former subordinates’ lives. But the destruction of the Riot Squad happened after he was reassigned, right? He shouldn’t let it eat away at him – with that, Billy signs off.
“Once again I’m forced to watch my men leave this life while I remain… Perhaps I’m just not meant to lead others,” Graham mulls. “They had some rough edges, but there was undeniable potential in those two… Ensign Berge, Lt. Spencer…”

: Hrgh… aah…! Arnie, why did you—?!
: Huh…?! Wh-Where am…?
: Oh, thank goodness… you’re awake.
: Y-You’re…?
: My name’s Ayul – Ayul Dylan.
: “Dylan”…? Are you Prof. Novel’s…?
: Her daughter, yes. It’s good to meet you, Lt. Spencer.
: We feared we were too late by the time we found the wreckage of your Riot, but it looks like my mother’s surgery was a complete success. That’s truly a relief.
: Prof. Novel… saved my life?
: Is there anyone else here…? Did my subordinates of the Riot Squad also make it?
: Th-That’s…
: They’re all gone… aren’t they?
: I-I’m so sorry…
: It’s all my fault…
: Lt. Spencer…
: I went and lost my mind. Maj. Graham and Prof. Novel warned me again and again, and I still did it…
: But I couldn’t forgive him…
: My old friend threw his lot in with terrorists… and I just couldn’t forgive him…!
: Do you still resent him…?
: I do. And I also wanna take him down to avenge my subordinates. But I’m too weak to do anything now…
: No, you’re wrong. My mother said there’s much strength inside you, Lt. Spencer.
: The professor said…?
: You’re someone my mother needs… Please, would you fight together with us?
: Will you help us in the battle that’s about to begin – a battle that’ll lead the way to the future…?
: A “battle that’ll lead the way to the future”…?

Cut to ALVIS, Mizoguchi brings bad news to Makabe: Kariya’s run off, taking with her a ton intel, from the Fafner’s systems to details on the pilots. Essentially, she made off with decades worth of data. Yumiko doesn’t understand why Kariya would do that, but Makabe already suspects Mitsuhiro’s the one behind it (Yumiko flinches).
Mizoguchi’s suspects the same, as this is too intricate to be anyone else’s plan. That said, he does chide Makabe for getting played by the young woman – he warned him about this. Regardless, what’s done is done and Makabe wants to prepare for the worst, so he tells Mizugochi to grab his team and head for JUDA.
Yumiko can’t do much but quietly grunt at Kariya: “What a stupid thing you did, Yukippe…”

:siren: SRW UX - Separation

: Is there a problem, Kazuki?
: Toumi… No, I…
: Something happened between you and Minashiro?
: You two seem to have drifted apart lately…
: Soushi said the Fafners are what’s important to him. I tried to understand him, but I just couldn’t – at all.
: Kazuki…
: I wound up injuring his left eye back when we were kids. I’ve been trying to at least stand in for that eye ever since…
: But he’s changed so much. We’re all just tools of war for him…
: Toumi… can I ask you to remember who I am?
: Huh… Where did that come from?
: I’m scared that I might eventually get used to all this fighting. And I… I feel like I’m slowing changing into someone else…
: I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to stay the same forever.
: But what I know for a fact is that we’re all still here, aren’t we?
: Toumi…
: No matter how you might change… I’ll always remember you, Kazuki.
: Thank you…
: Listen, I need to head back, but I want you to sit down with Minashiro and talk things out, okay?

*Maya leaves.*

: Are… you there…?
: You… are not here. Or, rather, you can’t be here.
: ?! Ms. Kariya… when did you get to Japan?!
: Kazuki Makabe… I can grant you a new home – one that would suit you…
: A new…?

Inside JUDA, Mileina relays a message from Ian – apparently the Zabanya and Harute Gundams are both undergoing their final checks and should be ready to take to the field very soon. So that’s a new Gundam for Lockon, but the other one’s meant for Allelujah.
Shangxiang didn’t know there were other Meisters than him and Setsuna, but, from what Joey saw in the movie, there are four in total. Izuna saw it too, and remembers how awesome the scene where the four Meisters charged the enemy army was. Seems to Joe that the Celestial Being are pretty big heroes on Earth, but Lockon points out that reality wasn’t anywhere as pretty as the movies made things out to be.
And then some: thanks to Kiriyama’s shenanigans, we’re more despised by the world than being seen as heroes. True, whatever we try to do, folks spin it against us – getting those new Gundams won’t do much for us if we’re not welcome anywhere.

But, on the subject of the Gundam Meisters, where are the remaining two? One is no longer in this world (Lux apologizes for asking), and the aforementioned Allelujah is currently traveling the world with his sweetheart. Last Feldt heard of him, they were headed for Eastern Europe, but there have been no contacts in several days.
Sumeragi doubts we’ve anything to worry about those two, but asks her to try calling them every now and then just in case.

With that done, Setsuna approaches Sumeragi: there’s something bothering him. Specifically, it’s about the fragments of that derelict ship that fell to Earth yesterday. Do we know where those wound up? Not really, as the most we heard was that the Feds were conducting an investigation on the things.
Is he feeling something? “I don’t know… This isn’t unease. More like anxiety over the something that’s about to happen,” Setsuna says, which sounds to Lockon that his Innovator Sense is tingling.

But that’s a talk for another time, as the alarm starts blaring. Ogawa calls in with bad news: the Mark Elf has just launched. Did Soushi order him to sortie for something? No, no such orders were given – there’s absolutely no reason to deploy right now.
Sounds like an unauthorized sortie to Moritsugu… Hell, he can’t even rule out this being a desertion, depending on the context around it. Maya can’t believe it.

*Beep.*

: Having second thoughts…?
: No, I already made my choice.
: Besides… I felt like I would just stop being me if I stayed that course…
: Right. That wasn’t where you should be.
: He always said that the true reason why the Fafners were built should be known…
: (“He”…?)
: Let’s get going then. Your new home is waiting…
: (This is for the best… I know it is!)

Mission 20 – Rupture ~ Crossing Paths

: This is…
: *Yawn* Where are we…?
: Ch-Cham…?! Why are you inside the Mark Elf’s cockpit?!
: Oh, hello there, Kazuki. I was playing hide-and-seek with Erebos and I think I fell asleep…
: Hide and…! Now what am I gonna do? I can’t bring you with me…
: Kazuki, what is this place? It’s scary… like there’s no life flowing around here…
: Now that you mention it… Is this the ruin of a city or something?
: Ms. Kariya, do you know what place this is?
: As you noted, it’s what remains of a city – one that was destroyed during the Festum’s first assault, thirty years ago…
: The Festum…?!
: And since then the people have faced away from the truth, dedicating themselves only to building false paradises on Earth.
: But, in the end, it was just that: false. What they created wound up actually being a beacon for a new calamity…
: What do you mean? That Tatsumiya’s actually calling over the Festum?
: Correct. And that’s why we’ll create a new paradise.
: A new paradise…?
: Hey, Kazuki. Do you hear something coming from that heap of metal over there?

*Whoooom.

: Huh? No, I’m not hearing anything from it—

: ?! Festum…!
: What… What are they doing here?!
: Ms. Kariya, we need to run! I can’t take all those by myself…!
: No! We can’t leave this place!
: Huh?! B-But…!
: Fight, Makabe! That’s an order!

: Ka-Kazuki, what do we do?
: Hrk…! I don’t even know if I can do this without the Siegfried System’s support!
: But I don’t have any other choice…!

If you’ve kept Kazuki upgraded and leveled, these Grendels shouldn’t be much of a problem – especially with nearby forests providing +15% boosts to your evasion and defense.
And, no, unfortunately Cham doesn’t show up as a subpilot.

And then next player phase…

: I’m too outnumbered to win this…! (Settle down, boy – you’re fine.)
: Hang in there, Kazuki! I’m sure everyone’s coming over to help!
: No, there won’t be any help coming…
: Come on, aren’t they all your friends? You have to believe in them!
: You’re wrong, Cham. The truth is… I left them.
: Huuuh?! You left?!

: More of them?! Are the Festum calling each other, or is something drawing them in…?!
: That sound… It’s that sound coming from over there, I’m sure! Listen… do you hear it?

*Whoooom.

: I hear nothing, Cham!
: drat it, way this is going, we…!

: Th-That’s…!

: Hmm, these Sphinx-types don’t seem to be all that…
: Look, Kazuki – they look just like the Fafners! They’ve got to be friends!
: I guess, but… are those Fafners?
: Triple Six, have you confirmed whether or not the target’s been assimilated? (Canon)
: Hey, no formalities, alright? Drop the codename and just call me by my name: Michio. I’ll also take Mr. Michio, Master Michio, or…
: You’re my superior officer, sir. It wouldn’t be right to address you like that.
: You’re always so stiff, jeez…
: But, fine, whatever. How about we also take this chance to see what the Nothung Model can do?
: What’s going on…? Just what are those units…?
: Makabe, your focus should be on repelling the Festum! Hurry up and get to it!
: Y-Yes, ma’am!
: Bah, what a slave driver!

Fafner Megatherion Model (Michio Hino)
Pilot Skills:
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L2
All Attack l1
Command L1
Spirit Commands:
Strike
Invincible
Mercy
Squad Bonus: Exp +10%, Accuracy +5 (Exp +20%, Accuracy +20, Crit rate +20)
Michio’s voice actor: Hideyuki Hori (other roles: Virudhak in SRW Z3, E-Selda in OGs MD, Schwarz in G Gundam and several more)

Fafner Babylon Model (Canon Memphis)
Pilot Skills:
Support Attack L2
Support Defense L1
All Attack l1
Spirit Commands:
Alert
Strike
Fighting Spirit
Squad Bonus: Accuracy +5, Crit rate +10 (Accuracy +20, Crit rate +20, Mobility +10)
Canon’s voice actress: Sanae Kobayashi

Canon as a pilot is pretty good, her stats being pretty much on par with Kazuki for everything but Ranged; Michio is a bit worse, being on par with Kenji. The problem is that the Babylon and Megatherion simply cannot hold a candle to ANY of our Fafners – as is right now, they’re pure squaddie material.
Worse is the fact that not only is Michio not spectacular at dodging, making his lack of Focus quite the hindrance when the Festum are his primary enemy (like Zhang Fei, Invincible is his main defensive spirit). He’s meant as a sniper and you absolutely don’t want him in a position to get mobbed and assimilated.
Canon is a very good dodger, however, so you can have her lead the attack with Kazuki… but, as these things go, it’s not that simple.

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
Fafner Secret #3 – 1st step: Michio needs to kill 3+ of this batch of Festum.

Not difficult since you should still have Grendels left, but the problem is that it leaves him in position to get tagged by the bigger ones. Keep him close together with Canon not only to spread that command aura around, but so that she can intervene with a support defense in a pinch (and set him in a forest!).
And, of course, Michio and Canon’s kill count is also tied to this secret: they must have a total of 100 combined kills by the end of mission 36. You ARE keeping those spreadsheets nice and tidy, right?

: Are you there…?
: I was, but not anymore…
: “And the ten horns which thou sawest, they and the beast shall hate the harlot. They shall make her desolate and naked, and devour her flesh…”
: “And burn her with fire…!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fm_RAl1oY4
“Festum…! You can turn up as often as you’d like, I’ll always put you down!”

: “Are you there? Are you there?” You monsters sound like a broken record!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvkFnLmLxCY
If anything, the Megatherion’s strongest attack has no morale requirement, so he doesn’t NEED to close in to attack.
Canon defending Michio: “Save your games for after the mission, Triple Six!”
Canon taking damage: “Gaargh! Bloody Festum… are you trying to assimilate me…?!”
Michio attacking: “And the core is… Ah, over there!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-58oSu3V8
And, what the hell, here’s Canon’s best attack too.
All in all, Michio got like 6 kills, so consider that requirement checked.

: Looks like it’s over.
: Ms. Kariya, are those Fafners…?
: Do it, Triple Six.
: Way ahead of you…!

: Waaaah! Why is he attacking us?!
: They’re… They’re not friendlies?!
: Moving to capture the Nothung Model!

: Aaargh!
: Kazuki! Stay strong, Kazuki!
: R-Rrgh… Who… Who are you?!
: Don’t make this take any longer than it has to!
: Hold on, Canon! I’m picking up a big heat signature… It’s—!

: Kazuki, you there?! Get your rear end over here right now – I’ve got a punch waiting for you!
: Shinn, that’s really not the best approach…
: Are those their motherships?!
: Look, Kazuki! They’re all here!
: Ah…
: Now you do your part! Call out to them and say “Heelp meeeeee!”
: Heey, Shou! Yoo-hoo! Can you hear me?!
: That voice… Cham? Why are you in the Mark Elf?!
: Kazuki, who are these people?! Was your plan always to meet up with them and flee?!
: No, no! See, he did want to run away, but not with these guys, he got tricked by them and trapped! But he just wanted to leave, and—
: Alright, Cham, slow down because you’re not making much sense!
: Baah, you’re such a dummy, Shou!
: This isn’t good… I didn’t expect them to get here so quickly…!
: (That’s one of ALVIS’ transport ships…!)
: We’ve got the target secured. Better make like bananas and split!
: Roger that.

: Stop!

: Wh-What…?!
: We’ve Festum Sphinx, Alhenteris and Grendel-types, dead ahead!
: What is going on…?! What are the Festum doing in a place like this…?!
: There’ve been no reports of the Festum ever appearing anywhere outside of Tatsumiya or related facilities in these past thirty years…
: But the fact is that there are plenty of them right in front. Our only option is to fight.
: Fight… but what about Kazuki?!
: The deserter is irrelevant.
: What did you say there?!
: Minashiro… This is why Kazuki left…!
: I’m afraid this conversation must wait! All units, deploy immediately!

: (?! What am I feeling… it’s like some kind of pulse?)

*Whoooom.*

: (That’s… Is that part of that downed exploration vessel from Jupiter?)
: (But why is it making the Festum react like that… Wait, no… are they calling out to each other?!)
: Kazuki weighs heavy on our minds, but we must first turn our sights upon the Festum!
: Set forth, but be sure to exercise caution!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 29, 2019

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And now we just need to wreck everything without losing any ships. There are plenty of Festum, including new, powerful Sphinx-type Cs, but we had this fight before, so you know what to expect.
There won’t be any named enemies here today, as the Festum are wont to do, be mindful of new waves of the guys. Just make sure you keep a steady pace moving forward, lest you be blindsided like I almost was.

:siren: SRW UX - JOEY AND HEROMAN

In the EU and JP routes:

: These are the Festum…!
: I can’t let them move in on Heroman or even he might get assimilated…!

US route:

: We need to focus on the battle right now! They’ll start reading our minds if we lose our cool!
: But we also need to hurry on after Kazuki…!

:siren: SRW UX - Envoy from Jupiter

: (The Festum appeared right around the crash site of one of the exploration vessel’s fragments…)
: (Was this just a coincidence, or…)

Setsuna: “What are you after?!”

:siren: SRW UX - The Eternal Soldiers

: Come on, now, don’t be shy! Why don’t ya ask us where we are?!
: Because the answer is obvious. Where we are – that is, who we are – is Hell!

:siren: SRW UX - Deus Machina

EU route:

: These are called Sphinx-type… Hah, someone was feeling quite witty when they christened them with the name of a beast known for asking questions.
: Not the time to be impressed, ya know! We gotta wrap this up quick and go after Kazuki!

US and JP Route:

: Be wary, Kurou! Your simple thoughts shall be read as an open book by these creatures!
: Yeah, yeah, I know – I’ll try to think as little as I can! Now let’s wrap this up quick and go after Kazuki!

EU route:

: These things again?! I’m not about to let monsters like you get peek inside my mind, though!

JP and US route:

: Skull Leader to all units! These buggers can read your mind, so be extra-careful or they’ll just duck and weave through your shots!
: Yes, sir!
: (I finally got to fly through a real sky… Like hell I’m letting this be the end!)

: I’ve no time to waste on you! MOVE!

When three turns pass or you get the remaining enemies under 8…

: Whaa?! We’ve got more of them!
: Just what is going on?! I thought the Festum were only going to show around Tatsumiya nowadays!

:siren: SRW UX - My Fate

: Aesap, do you hear that…?
: Hear what? Something wrong, Erebos?
: (What’s this sensation…? It’s like… someone’s voice is ringing inside my head…)

US route:

: Come, Festum worms! You may read my mind, but that shall not enable you to evade my blade!

EU and JP routes:

/ : Be on your guard, Cao Cao! These creatures…!
: I am aware. They may read my mind at their leisure - that shall not enable them to evade my blade!

Cao Cao: “‘Tis a waste of breath to discuss ideals with those who know not speech!”

: Kazuki… was he really housing some proverbial evil spirits like Domyoji said?!

JP and US routes:

: So these are the Festum… Don’t pull your punches against these, Nene, Lalamia! We’re going!
: Esekes (Roger), sis!
: Lt. Canaria, cover us!
: Heh… Any of them who don’t want to die have five seconds to get out of my line of fire!

: Always gotta be a goddamn parade of baddies crawling out the woodwork, huh? And Kazuki’s getting further and further away while we’re here!

:siren: SRW UX - Dunbine Flies

: Why was Cham with Kazuki…? Tsk, our workload just keeps piling up!

:siren: SRW UX - LOVE 14 ver. HD

: Hmm… do you t h i n k my song would work on these?
: Oh, w e l l … Whatever happens, happens!

Arnie: “I am here…! I am right here!” :black101:

When another three turns pass or you get the remaining enemies under 8 again…

: More?! Argh, there’s no end to these things!
: This bodes ill for us. They can replenish their forces far more effectively than our army can. If this turns to a war of attrition, we’ll be at a clear disadvantage.
: But, on the other hand, we can’t retreat with so many enemies surrounding us…!

EU route:

: They force our hand… Ready the Macross Cannon!

*The Quarter blasts right towards the Festum mob (ah, crap)!*

:siren: SRW UX - The Target.

: Energy supply across all sections is green!
: All units within the blast area are to retreat immediately!
: Macross Canon, energy charge at 91%, 92%, 93%...
: We’ve marked several Festum within firing range!
: All hands, brace for impact! Fire the Macross Cannon and tear them apart!
: DIIIIIEEEEEEE!!

: They destroyed all those in just one attack…!
: That’s some serious firepower they’re rocking…
: (The pulse from before disappeared… What’s going on…?)
: Grab your jaws off the dirt, maggots! There’re still Festum around, so don’t let up!
: Hah, that goes without saying! We ain’t letting even one of them get outta here in one piece!

US and JP routes:

: But, on the other hand, we can’t retreat with so many enemies surrounding us…!
: (If this is also according to the will of the heavens, then, perhaps, next we shall see…!)

*The Quarter warps right by the next group, only not as close.*

:siren: SRW UX - Rebellion Against Fate

: That’s…!
: De-Fold complete! No abnormalities detected throughout the ship!
: Several Festum marked dead ahead!
: Energy supply across all sections is green!
: Target everything within our sight! Macross Cannon – FIRE!
: Hold on tight! OOORYAAAAA!

:siren: SRW UX - The Target.

: Wh-What’s that huuuge robot?!
: It’s the mothership of the SMS, a PMC from the Frontier Fleet… the Macross Quarter.

*Deploy EU units!*

: Looks like we got here in the nick of time.
: Cpt. Scarlet… everyone!
: Yo, been a while! And I’m raring to get my hands dirty!
: Your target’s the Festum pack! Formation Planet Dance!
: Yes, sir!
: Liu Bei, you and your allies made it as well!
: Aye! We shall fight together again!
: I’m e a g e r to get to work too!
: (Indeed, ‘twas they who appeared…)
: (Once again, the heavens send not the Yùxǐ, but people…)
: Troops, coordinate with them and bring down the Festum!
: Don’t leave a single one of them around!

I hope you have people ready to get up top and cover the Quarter, because while it’s pretty bulky, that won’t do jack if its morale drops under 80 and it gets assimilated!

US and JP route:

: And here’s our first get-together with the UX. We better start things off on the right foot!
: So these are the Festum… They’re reading your actions, so keep an eye out!

Triple Dog count: 4. The trio got an extra 15 kills today, bringing their total to 66. Joey got 8, bringing his tally to 31.

: All Festum confirmed destroyed.
: We’ve managed to pull through somehow…
: Yeah, but… the group with Kazuki is long gone now…
: drat it, if only those gold pieces of crap weren’t around to get in the way!
: And that raises the question: why did so many Festum appear in a remote area like this?
: About that… Sumeragi, could we collect that wreck up there and have it analyzed?

*Points to the crater.*

: Oh, that’s… is it part of the downed Europa?
: I think so. And I felt some kind of strange pulse coming from it…
: Ah, I felt it too – like it was calling out to something…
: That pulse vanished after the Macross Quarter’s attack, though. And, when it did, the Festum also stopped appearing.
: Meaning that wreckage was drawing them here?
: I think there’s a good chance of that, yes.
: Alright. We’ll bring it back to JUDA and see if they can’t run a detailed analysis on it.

Mitsuhiro informs Hester that the spy at ALVIS has sent a message informing that she’s escaped and is headed this way with the captured Nothung Model. The lady’s positively ecstatic over the news and thanks him on behalf of the entire world – of course, he’s very happy to get a very valuable specimen as well. This’ll be a major step forward in their plan.
Hester also extends her thanks to Hazard for his and his associates’ cooperation in this plan. Oh, he just figured the Bureau’s drone forces would be quite useful against the mind-reading Festum. But, on that subject, he’s curious: “How is it that only the Fafners are able to resist the Festum’s ability to read minds”?
Well, 30 years ago, when the Festum first attacked our world, many humans became temporarily sterile due to being afflicted by a toxin released from the core of the things. The effect was particularly strong within Japan, and there was even fear of extinction of the Japanese people.

Some Japanese saw the gravity of the situation with the Festum and decided to take action: thus they named their group ALVIS and initiated the Arcadian Project. All the ALVIS kids were conceived via an artificial uterus, fruit of genetic manipulation and created with the ability to stand up to the Festum.
What ability is that? “Immunity to their core toxin…” Hester says. “Which was due to the fact that those people implanted their thereto unborn children with Festum DNA.” Even Hazard does a double-take at that. Thus, the ALVIS kids became the Festum’s one and only natural predator – which, as a result, came with the hefty price tag of constant risk of Assimilation.

Hazard had heard rumors, but he didn’t expect this to be the truth. It is an unpardonable crime to have foisted such a terrible fate upon the shoulders of innocent children! Hester agrees, which is why they needed to steal ALVIS’ research data by any means necessary – so they can find a NEW way to oppose the Festum.
“And that’s the new Fafner you’re developing, Dr. Bartland? The ‘Salvator Model’?” Hazard asks, and he confirms. All that the bot’s missing is a core, which is why they needed a Nothung Model: they’ll take its core and put it in the Salvator Model. Hazard hopes Mitsuhiro’ll come through – the future of all humanity depends on him… as do Hazard’s plans. “Yes, those ALVIS kids will serve me nicely as weapons. Heheheheheh…” he giggles to himself.

In the US and JP routes, Richard thanks Jeffrey for the Quarter’s timely intervention, and that’s no prob as the Frontier government asked the SMS to help us out. Lu Xun praises Liu Bei for his work in Europe and in space, but he’s a bit uneasy about being on the same team as Cao Cao – cut the same convo we had in the previous mission. And they also go over Fei-Yen finding her song up in space, too.
But the bigger question here is what happened to Kazuki. From what Richard’s been informed, it seems there was a spy at Tatsumiya – Yukie Kariya, a former Fafner pilot cadet – and she’s taken the kid. Maya and Kenji are shocked to hear that, and the kid wonders if Kazuki and their teacher were “like that”. Did they elope over their forbidden love?!

Sakura punches Kenji and shuts him up. “He got scared and ran away – that’s the long and short of it. He deserted us…,” Sakura sighs. Saya compounds Mamoru’s shock by adding that, were we the regular army, that’d be more than enough to get Kazuki a date with the firing squad.
Arnie calms the kids down, though, as he’s also a deserter and no one here’s tried to gun him down – the UX doesn’t operate like the regular army.

: Toumi… from what I heard, you were the last person Kazuki spoke to before he left, right?
: Minashiro…
: What did he say to you? Did he mention that he wanted to get away from this battle? Or maybe…
: That he wanted to get away from me…?

SRW UX - Separation

: Soushi…!
: No, he just wanted me to remember who he is…
: I see…
: I… I’ve a question to ask too. Did Kazuki say anything to you?
: … No, nothing.
: Then how you can just stand there and tar him as someone who ran away?!
: This wouldn’t have happened if you talked things out with him! He didn’t run – you pushed him away! You're the one running from him!
: Maya…
: You… You don’t know anything! I thought…
: I thought he, of all people, would understand me…
: And I’m sure… I’m sure Kazuki thought the same about you!
: Do you believe you understand someone because you’re looking into their mind with your Siegfried System?
: What do you really know about Kazuki?!
: (Kazuki… I just…)

: Hrgh… So it was all just an act?! Your goal was always to bring a Fafner to the Federation?!
: Please, don’t get me wrong. I said I’d bring you to a paradise and I’ll keep that promise.
: “Paradise”… all I wanted was—!
: … Well, at the very least, where we’re headed is paradise in my eyes.
: It won’t be long until we get there, so you’ll just have to be patient for a bit.

*She leaves.*

: Kch…!
: Chin up, Kazuki. I’m sure Shou and the others will come save us.
: Oh, someone’s coming! Hey you!
: Sshhh! Nothing good’ll come out of them spotting you. Hide inside my coat and stay quiet!
: Gaah, don’t stuff me in there!

*Door opens.*

: Hey, Kazuki Makabe… It’s been ages, eh?
: Michio…?! What’re you doing here…?!
: I swear, you’ve no idea how surprised I was to see that you were the Fafner’s pilot. Sorry things got a little rough out there.
: Then… You were the one flying that unit…?!
: That, I was.
: I’ve been running as a Fed soldier, getting deployed all over the world, after my dad brought me out of Tatsumiya five years ago.
: You’re a Federation soldier…
: And, um… Could I ask you about how things are back at the island?
: Like… do you know what Yumiko Toumi’s doing nowadays?
: Ms. Yumiko? She’s working as a doctor at our school infirmary and…
: She’s a doctor?! Oh, wow. Did you know her childhood dream was to move to Tokyo and become an idol singer?
: Really…
: Still, Yumiko’s doing well… that’s good…

*Door opens.*

: So this is where you were, Triple Six.
: “Triple Six”…?
: My codename. She doesn’t need to call me that when we’re not on the field, but I can’t talk her out of it.
: Her name’s Canon, pilot of the Babylon Model, and my partner.
: You were the one in that red unit, then…
: We’ll be arriving soon, sir.
: Where… Where are you taking me?
: Eastern Europe, a base of ours in the Moldovan Republic underground. A.k.a., the Federation’s Anti-Festum Team’s research facility.

Allelujah and Soma have actually found said location, having heard rumors across various Federation bases that this place is a rather special research facility. Soma told him that the local solar power system stopped relaying energy and wanted to check it out… but is that really cause for concern?
Soma (who Allelujah calls Marie, Marie, Marie, Marie) thinks so – something about this is bothering her. She does apologize for forcing him to tag along, but it’s not like he minds making the occasional detour in their travels.
Regardless, Allelujah figures there should be a transformer to convert the solar energy, so they should check there… and find that it’s gone. There’s a huge hole where it used to be, like it was torn out the earth. What’s going on at this base?

And the one US/JP route convo we missed:

: Your rampage is over now that we’ve arrived!
: We are the Octagon’s Volunteer Corps! And with justice guiding our hands, we rise to assist our comrades!
: Anyone who feels like becoming a stain on my Raija can step right up!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 30, 2018

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I seriously thought Canon was Luna, and was so confused at her appearing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eeepies posted:

I seriously thought Canon was Luna, and was so confused at her appearing.
If it helps for future stages, Luna has fuchsia-colored hair while Canon has a deep red hair color.

Also, I will never stop laughing at how much the name "Canon Memphis" sounds like a B-list action movie star and/or film hero.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

: (I finally got to fly through a real sky… Like hell I’m letting this be the end!)

UUUUGGGGGHHHH

So is there an actual reason why we don't want the feds to have Fafners? I mean, I know in the context of this game why we don't (loving Hazard), but is it explained why in the original show?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alacron posted:

UUUUGGGGGHHHH

So is there an actual reason why we don't want the feds to have Fafners? I mean, I know in the context of this game why we don't (loving Hazard), but is it explained why in the original show?

The Neo U.N. wants to kill all the Japanese because they don't want to risk Festum contamination.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 8, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Yumiko can’t do much but quietly grunt at Kariya: “What a stupid thing you did, Yukie…”

Are you sure this is right? Yumiko never calls her Yukie in the show, she's "Yukippe". Which is an incredibly dumb nickname, fitting for something born from their teenage years.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Huh, forgot Ayul shows up this early, thought it was a few missions later. With that in mind I can say now that I like Jin's new portrait. It makes him look like a part of him died inside. Which makes sense considering his former best friend has joined up with seeming terrorists.

No left facing sprites for Canon and Michio in the update? Speaking of them, their initial non NG+ killcount is why I think that how UX' kill flags work is intentional and not a bug, just very counter-intuitive to every other game in the series. They start close to 100 combined from the start.

Speaking of killcount secrets, instead of spreadsheets what I did was get an estimate of the average number of kills I'd need per mission for a secret, then try to achieve at least that every mission. A habit I picked up from that Gundam AGE secret in BX. Might do it for my second playthrough due to the killcount weirdness; completed my first a couple days ago. No upgrade/no skill parts the whole way through, which I don't think I want to try again...

Brunom1 posted:

: Do you believe you understand someone because you’re looking into their mind with your Siegfriend System?

Does she actually mistakenly call it that, or is this a typo?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
See I just solo'd missions with whoever needed kills until it was done. Which wasn't hard for most of them. Last kill requirement I gotta hit is for the Romance Leads.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The Neo U.N. wants to kill all the Japanese because they don't want to risk Festum contamination.

Actual genocide huh? Well on the :moreevil: scale that's up there with Hazard and The Boom Army so they're keeping good company I guess.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you sure this is right? Yumiko never calls her Yukie in the show, she's "Yukippe". Which is an incredibly dumb nickname, fitting for something born from their teenage years.

That was a placeholder to see if I could think of something better, and I forgot about it. I couldn't, so fiiiiine...

SirSystemError posted:

Does she actually mistakenly call it that, or is this a typo?

Fixed this too.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I know about Fafner is that it's an anime of gut-punches. So far, it's delivering.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fafner does not sound like a good show, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fafner does not sound like a good show, to be honest.

It is, although the beginning is not good. It gets much better by episode 11 or so once the head writer changes and it becomes a genuinely enjoyable show, although a very depressing one.